Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Kind of interesting on how Old Mage dovetails nicely with how Demon works--where the "fallen" angels would literally gain power and abilities off of the collective belief of the populace who had Faith in them.

But we're waaay off the reservation for Bloodlines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

OAquinas posted:

Kind of interesting on how Old Mage dovetails nicely with how Demon works--where the "fallen" angels would literally gain power and abilities off of the collective belief of the populace who had Faith in them.

But we're waaay off the reservation for Bloodlines.

Long story short, you don't need to know a drat thing about mages to appreciate Bloodlines. A little Werewolf lore can help (specifically, about the different breeds), but that's about all the stuff that isn't about vampires that is in any way relevant.

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay
1) People love this drat game, and they want more of it. This is evident in both the continued discussion this game generates, the fact that people play this game over and over again, and the fact that Bloodlines has a vibrant mod scene.

Think about that last part: Bloodlines is based on a lovely alpha build of the source engine that refuses to cooperate with modders yet people have found ingenious workarounds to create new areas/add new clans and disciplines into the game. The results are janky and amateurish yet there is a dedicated community around it.

2) Every time bloodlines crops up, lorechat invevitably follows. See the past few pages of this thread. There is a lot to this franchise, some of it wonderfully evocative, some of it goofy as poo poo, and all of it fun. It can't possibly be fit into any one game.

3) WoD is still the second or third most popular PNPRPG franchise after DnD and its derivatives.

1+2+3 has me thinking. You guys remember Neverwinter Nights? The main campaigns were meh; the games real draw was the powerful and easy to use custom campaign creator that came with it. A huge, vibrant module-making community sprang up around it. It produced some drat amazing content..

WoD needs, nay deserves, a Neverwinter Nights. I really believe it would produce some amazing stuff.*

*Yeah yeah yeah and some horrifying stuff too but we can just ignore those "gently caress your vampire harem campaigns" ok?

insanityv2 fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Dec 9, 2013

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Gantolandon posted:

A paradigm is the mage's way of manipulating reality and is based on his belief how does the magic works. To throw a fireball, a Hermetic mage could speak the words of power, using a brass scepter symbolizing his power over the element of fire. A Dreamspeaker would communicate with the spirit of fire, convincing him to lend him a bit of his power, Werewolf style. A Son of Ether could use some pseudoscience to come up with a device that would make a spherical forcefield that makes nitrogen inside flammable. A Virtual Adept would not throw a fireball because this is stupid, but would hack the universe to raise the temperature near the target instead...

...except that throwing a fireball could have really nasty consequences. The reality depends of belief, so doing clearly improbable things can activate its defense mechanisms called the Paradox. A willworker who doesn't like to suddenly explode, has their bones turn into glass or being vomited out into a hell tailored just for him, learns to conceal his magic. Instead of throwing a fireball, the mage could make it appear on the empty bottle of gas, which would make it appear like it exploded. Instead of teleporting a gun into his hand, he could reach inside the nearest trash bin, and... look what we have here! Of course, Technocrats have it a lot easier, because their magic is barely distinguishable from really advanced technology. Still, they also have to fear Paradox - a laser gun could barely pass, but an It-X cyborg shooting plasma is nearly as vulgar as a Tradition mage making a trash golem.
Hilariously enough, as long as the Etherite laser-gun is convoluted enough it's actually coincidental. Because modern people are idiots, if you roll up in a car with the entire back-seat converted in to something with lots of flashing lights and dials people are going to believe that it can shoot death beams.

Etherites tend to use these to rob banks because the IGNORANT BAD-THINKERS WHO CONTROL ALL OF THE RESEARCH GRANTS REFUSE TO THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX AND ENTERTAIN THE NOTION OF A SELF-REPLICATING FUSION REACTION POWERED BY HAMSTERS I'LL SHOW THOSE FOOLS I'LL SHOW THEM ALL!

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

citybeatnik posted:

Hilariously enough, as long as the Etherite laser-gun is convoluted enough it's actually coincidental. Because modern people are idiots, if you roll up in a car with the entire back-seat converted in to something with lots of flashing lights and dials people are going to believe that it can shoot death beams.

Etherites tend to use these to rob banks because the IGNORANT BAD-THINKERS WHO CONTROL ALL OF THE RESEARCH GRANTS REFUSE TO THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX AND ENTERTAIN THE NOTION OF A SELF-REPLICATING FUSION REACTION POWERED BY HAMSTERS I'LL SHOW THOSE FOOLS I'LL SHOW THEM ALL!

This reminds me of a bit from Genius: The Transgression which is a really well written supplement for the NWoD that involves Geniuses. Mad Scientists, that sort of poo poo. Its pretty cool, check it out:

quote:

The Resources Merit:
A genius has more need for Resources than normal people: she needs supplies, equipment, electricity, and space to work, and all of these cost money. There is also the constant risk that a genius might lose access to her supply of Resources, which could threaten the development of her wonders.

To that end, any genius with dots in the Resources Merit should specify where the money comes from. Each possibility offers drawbacks and the potential for sabotage and catastrophe.

Theft:
Of course, you can always just build giant robots and then rob banks with them. It's not like that's never occurred to mad scientists in the past. But burglary is dangerous and unpredictable, as are related tricks like blackmail and corporate fraud. They're immoral, too. Of course, it doesn't mean that geniuses haven't tried them. Theft is rarely reducible to a single roll...

I think its pretty humorous.

A Curvy Goonette
Jul 3, 2007

"Anyone who enjoys MWO is a shitty player. You have to hate it in order to be pro like me."

I'm actually just very good at curb stomping randoms on a team. :ssh:
Whats the deal with the WoD books using female pronouns?

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
As far as I know it's the same reason Magic: The Gathering devs often use she to refer to the player in their articles: to try not to alienate 50% of their possible player base.

A Curvy Goonette
Jul 3, 2007

"Anyone who enjoys MWO is a shitty player. You have to hate it in order to be pro like me."

I'm actually just very good at curb stomping randoms on a team. :ssh:
The gulf between possible and actual player base could not be farther apart.

Its just a weird move instead of using gender neutral stuff.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

A Curvy Goonette posted:

While this is true, it's hard to say that tabletop games could do with less attempts to not be utterly toxic to females. :shobon:

It's better than nothing I guess.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

A Curvy Goonette posted:

The English gender-neutral noun is not permissible when speaking about human beings, "they" is grammatically incorrect when referring to singular individuals, "he or she," "he/she," and "s/he" are unwieldy and use up valuable page space, and using "he" alone for hypothetical individuals is sexist. The best compromise I've seen is to trade off between "he" and "she" between book sections.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
I'm pretty sure that the grammatically correct way is to use the writer's gender, so maybe there's a woman writing these things.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Dungeons and Dragons 3.5 also used feminine pronouns. I'm not sure about 3.0 or 4th edition.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
If memory serves Unknown Armies (which is basically Mage if all the mages were insane hobos) alternates gender every chapter.

insanityv2 posted:

WoD needs, nay deserves, a Neverwinter Nights. I really believe it would produce some amazing stuff.

CCP, the guys that make Eve Online, bought out White Wolf and are making a oWoD MMO, with the initial focus to be on VtM. I'm cautiously optimistic about it.

citybeatnik posted:

Because modern people are idiots, if you roll up in a car with the entire back-seat converted in to something with lots of flashing lights and dials people are going to believe that it can shoot death beams.

What I'm hearing here is that Ghostbusters is a plausible MtA campaign.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Tehan posted:

What I'm hearing here is that Ghostbusters is a plausible MtA campaign.

It's a great Technocracy campaign. The sinister mage cabal has been riling up New York and convincing the populace that ghosts are a real thing with small scale manifestations and natural hysteria, so the local amalgam turns their own tactics against them with "cutting edge ghost busting technology". It was the NWO guy who decided to make few bucks off the headache and stay in the black.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

A Curvy Goonette posted:

Didn't they use "she" for the player and "he" for the Storyteller to differentiate them as well as "be unsexist"?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

CrazySalamander posted:

As far as I know it's the same reason Magic: The Gathering devs often use she to refer to the player in their articles: to try not to alienate 50% of their possible player base.

Articles by the MtG devs about how they'd love it if more women played the game and what can be done to get girls to play and all that are hilarious given that so much of the marketing and promotional material basically makes it look like Tits: the Boobening and the most visible elements of the player base are just the worst of the shut-in nerd Nice Guy stereotype.

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

The English gender-neutral noun is not permissible when speaking about human beings, "they" is grammatically incorrect when referring to singular individuals, "he or she," "he/she," and "s/he" are unwieldy and use up valuable page space, and using "he" alone for hypothetical individuals is sexist. The best compromise I've seen is to trade off between "he" and "she" between book sections.

Using "they" is totally fine in most situations, as long as you write in such a way as to make it clear that you're talking about an individual. I prefer "s/he", though you still use "them" and "their" rather than "him/her" and "his/hers".

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Tiggum posted:

Using "they" is totally fine in most situations, as long as you write in such a way as to make it clear that you're talking about an individual. I prefer "s/he", though you still use "them" and "their" rather than "him/her" and "his/hers".

It's still not a completely accepted construction, particularly in formal writing (such as a rulebook). And if you're going to use the combined gender subject pronoun, why would you switch to the singular plural for the object and possessive pronouns? You should at least be consistent with your choices.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Pierzak posted:

Didn't they use "she" for the player and "he" for the Storyteller to differentiate them as well as "be unsexist"?
Relying on just my memory, I want to say that "feels" correct as there does seem to be a rhyme and reason to it. When they're talking about a sample character in particular, they use that character's gender - same as if they're talking about a sample player.

Now, allow me to pose a question: why on earth does it matter that they picked the feminine pronoun?

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

citybeatnik posted:

Now, allow me to pose a question: why on earth does it matter that they picked the feminine pronoun?
Because we are goons?
Well, that and it's assumed that most Tabletop RP players are, y'know, nerdy guys who can't get a girl to play if they made a blood sacrifice to Khorne.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
I have to say, as a female, I am happy that they at least made the effort. I was happily surprised by their choice o pronouns.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

insanityv2 posted:

WoD needs, nay deserves, a Neverwinter Nights. I really believe it would produce some amazing stuff.*

*Yeah yeah yeah and some horrifying stuff too but we can just ignore those "gently caress your vampire harem campaigns" ok?

Do something like Shadowrun Returns, where the rules are put into an engine designed to be as moddable as possible with a thorough set of GM tools. I'd play it, even if the pack-in campaign is flimsy.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

Thesaya posted:

I have to say, as a female, I am happy that they at least made the effort. I was happily surprised by their choice o pronouns.

I once read a bit of a Werewolf sourcebook. There was a reference to how a police NPC could keep calm when confronting the supernatural because "she might have served in Vietnam".

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.

Kopijeger posted:

I once read a bit of a Werewolf sourcebook. There was a reference to how a police NPC could keep calm when confronting the supernatural because "she might have served in Vietnam".

This is WoD. Of course there is an absurd side to it.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

Kopijeger posted:

Someone's never seen Full Metal Jacket.

Of course, this being White Wolf, a middle-aged Vietnamese lady has one chance in three to be a Nagah kinfolk or some poo poo.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

Tiggum posted:

Articles by the MtG devs about how they'd love it if more women played the game and what can be done to get girls to play and all that are hilarious given that so much of the marketing and promotional material basically makes it look like Tits: the Boobening and the most visible elements of the player base are just the worst of the shut-in nerd Nice Guy stereotype.

Okay, point to you. I still remember when my wife came to visit (and drop off cookies :) )during FNM one time before we moved. This one poor kid was literally terrified of her! I hope he got help at some point, because being scared of 50% of people in the world has got to suck.

To be fair to the devs though, they do at least make it a point not to do the damsel thing- they have a large amount of text in their art direction devoted to hammering that point home. I was also pleasantly surprised to hear that the Champion in Theros lore was female, a nice modern twist reminding us that it is Greek inspired, not just straight Greco-Roman. As far as the promotional stuff, well, their marketing department does have to deal with the fact that the target market demographic is 12 yo boys though, and some "Assets" help more than others. (Chain mail bikinis still annoy me though(Pink hair anime Chandra:argh:!!!). But perhaps I'm a hypocrite for enjoying sending my Nord running through the wilderness casting fireballs at innocent bears while wearing only boxers)

On Topic: I had always thought (perhaps erroneously) that vampire stuff, especially the stuff suited for LARPing tended to have a more balanced player base. Is this incorrect?

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

CrazySalamander posted:

On Topic: I had always thought (perhaps erroneously) that vampire stuff, especially the stuff suited for LARPing tended to have a more balanced player base. Is this incorrect?
There's actually a pretty even split when it comes to both LARPing and the online chats - I can speak for the latter from experience.

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku
So uh, finals are this week and the next. I'm busy writing papers and studying for tests and such. I might be able to sneak an update in here and there. We'll see. Don't be alarmed if nothing comes, as updates will return to normal afterwords.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.

CrazySalamander posted:

Well, it was true for my LARP group, it was pretty much 50-50.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
From purely anecdotal evidence, VtM and especially VtM LARPing had a much more balanced gender ratio than regular tabletop roleplaying. I entered the VtM scene from the tabletop side of things, so this is just spitballing on my part, but maybe it was due to VtM recruiting from the goth scene?

Casca
Jan 25, 2006

The Saints must Flow.
I was actually about to make the same (anecdotal) observation. VtM tends to have more lady players in general and VLARP in particular has always had a 50/50 distribution. Unlike some other systems, VtM levels the playing field. Who cares about whether or not someone is a big muscled dude or a little 110lb girl, the power of the blood is the only thing that matters. Girls that wouldn't have touched D&D (or its players!) with a 10 foot pole were all over the idea of getting to dress up in cool costumes and pretending to be a sexy vampire that could hold her own against all comers.

Casca fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Dec 10, 2013

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay
Most of the Ann Rice fans I know are female and VTM probably recruited heavily from that fan base.

Most of the Tolkien, T. Brooks, R. Jordan fans I know are male so.

All anecdotal but there you go.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.

insanityv2 posted:

Most of the Ann Rice fans I know are female and VTM probably recruited heavily from that fan base.

Most of the Tolkien, T. Brooks, R. Jordan fans I know are male so.

All anecdotal but there you go.

I enjoy all of those authors personally. And while I like VtM more, I would never turn down a DnD session. Maybe me and my friends are just a weird offshoot of female super nerds... :shrug:

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay
Well I did say most.

On a semi-related note I was sort of specifically talking about the 90s there.

I thnk fantasy has, since 2000, started to appeal to more women -- Game of Thrones for example has a lot of female fans. I have theories about this (e.g. there was some really sexist poo poo in the 90s but there's been a movement to tone that down and have strong female characters too and I think its working) but nothing confirmed.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:

Also note that in the '90s, the popular image of DnD was still very much neckbeards doing hack-and-slash dungeon crawls. Vampire was marketed as a "deep", gothy/cyberpunk alternative to that where politicking and social machinations were explicitly a big part of the game--along with the tortured superbadass angle. Both types of games appeal to women, of course (I have known plenty of women who love hack-and-slash and plenty of men who reveled in political maneuvering in games), but Vampire kind of paved the way for opening up the industry to focusing significantly on social aspects of the game. That appeals to many women (and many men!) more than straight beat-'em-ups do.

That's not to say that that's the way all games go, obviously--I've played in some drat fun Vampire games that had a pretty significant combat/undead superhero focus (the Sabbat one was the best; I still love my batshit Nosferatu antitribu). Admittedly, they also had a fair bit of politicking, but that was mostly a function of my gaming group's interests. It's in no way inherent, but it's presented as a major option.

My playthrough in VtM:B was with a female Ventrue, but I'm still enjoying seeing your take on it, gatz. I have to say, the most terrifying part of that game for me was the sewers, because I was an idiot and somehow failed to notice that there is an exit you can take before going to the Nosferatu base. I was stuck with next to no blood for the majority of the time, since I couldn't eat the rats, so it made every single fight a lot tougher. It became a lot more survival-horror like that.

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku

Stroop There It Is posted:

My playthrough in VtM:B was with a female Ventrue, but I'm still enjoying seeing your take on it, gatz. I have to say, the most terrifying part of that game for me was the sewers, because I was an idiot and somehow failed to notice that there is an exit you can take before going to the Nosferatu base. I was stuck with next to no blood for the majority of the time, since I couldn't eat the rats, so it made every single fight a lot tougher. It became a lot more survival-horror like that.

Maybe I'm an outlier, but I never had trouble with the sewers. I've always had points invested in melee, and that just makes the sewers more of a slog than anything challenging.

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

I am a wizard, not a poet.

gatz posted:

Maybe I'm an outlier, but I never had trouble with the sewers. I've always had points invested in melee, and that just makes the sewers more of a slog than anything challenging.

I think it is the first situation that comes up that you cannot use social skills to get through, so if you were playing a social game it can feel like a wall

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay
e: nvm

insanityv2 fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Dec 11, 2013

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:

Amnistar posted:

I think it is the first situation that comes up that you cannot use social skills to get through, so if you were playing a social game it can feel like a wall
Right, this is exactly why I was boned. I was doing a ~master manipulator~ run, so I only had a point or two in Ranged weapons at that point. You can imagine why running out of bullets there was a problem. (Not a real spoiler or anything, but just in case...)

e: typos

Stroop There It Is fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Dec 11, 2013

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Okay, Illuminate me, please. What is the power difference between Vampires and Werewolves? I know that at the very least, a single Werewolf is vastly stronger than your average 13 gen vamp.
At what gen can a vamp match a werewolf? And at what gen can the vamp take on the werewolf easily?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Siegkrow posted:

Okay, Illuminate me, please. What is the power difference between Vampires and Werewolves? I know that at the very least, a single Werewolf is vastly stronger than your average 13 gen vamp.
At what gen can a vamp match a werewolf? And at what gen can the vamp take on the werewolf easily?

It's not really that simple. It really depends on their kit, what Disciplines they have. Dominate and Presence are probably the best way to stop a werewolf but I'm pretty sure if they death rage none of that will work and you're stone cold hosed.

Some of the Werewolf Gifts are really out of a Vampires league so my inclination is to say that a vampire is always at a disadvantage to an equal exp value wolf.

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Dec 13, 2013

• Locked thread