Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Wind entered the bidding process for Mobilicity on Monday. However it doesn't sound like they have all that much cash to throw around.

I still think T-Mobile buying up Mobilicity makes the most sense. They could even rebrand it T-Mobilicity! Just give me a pile of cash and I'll make it happen. Too bad it doesn't sound like T-Mobile has any interest in coming to Canada (ha ha I wonder why).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mr. unhsib
Sep 19, 2003
I hate you all.
Question: I'm from Canada but live in the US now. I want to buy a Moto G for my cousin back home this Christmas, is GSM equivalent across borders? Where could I research something like this? Just want to make sure it works.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

mr. unhsib posted:

Question: I'm from Canada but live in the US now. I want to buy a Moto G for my cousin back home this Christmas, is GSM equivalent across borders? Where could I research something like this? Just want to make sure it works.

I'm not super familiar with the carrier differences in the USA, but the GSM version of the Moto G will absolutely work just fine in Canada. The bands are:

code:
2G Network	GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900
 		CDMA 800 / 1900 - CDMA version
3G Network	HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1900 / 2100
 		CDMA2000 1xEV-DO - CDMA version

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005

CLAM DOWN posted:

Alternatively, if these are BES activated devices, check the BES server. Internet traffic is generally routed through the "MDS Connection Service" on BES 5 (9900s would have to be on an older BES <5 server) so there could be a problem there. Email and BBM don't use MDS. I had a problem with similar symptoms the other week when the service unexpectedly stopped on the server.

If this were happening, would it affect other BES users? It's only these two that have reported this specific issue, otherwise I would've had a hundred tickets in the last week.

E:

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Entirely possible. Call up Bell Business Support and ask if the phones have been provisioned for web services.
Thanks. It's an enterprise account so I hope we have our own special rep or something :v:

Yeast Confection fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Dec 6, 2013

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

Ashley Madison posted:

If this were happening, would it affect other BES users? It's only these two that have reported this specific issue, otherwise I would've had a hundred tickets in the last week.

Yup, it would, sorry. Sounds like Bell support is your best option. Have you tried reloading the OS? This is a decent tool for that stuff: http://bbsak.org/

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005

CLAM DOWN posted:

Yup, it would, sorry. Sounds like Bell support is your best option. Have you tried reloading the OS? This is a decent tool for that stuff: http://bbsak.org/

Ohh, this tool may come in handy. Getting tech support from Bell is brutal for cases like these. I was hoping I could avoid it somehow. Thanks Arus :yayclod:

mr. unhsib
Sep 19, 2003
I hate you all.

CLAM DOWN posted:

I'm not super familiar with the carrier differences in the USA, but the GSM version of the Moto G will absolutely work just fine in Canada. The bands are:

code:
2G Network	GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900
 		CDMA 800 / 1900 - CDMA version
3G Network	HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1900 / 2100
 		CDMA2000 1xEV-DO - CDMA version

Thanks!

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
So I'm probably going to go for Fido/Rogers since I really want the Nokia 515. Does anyone know if their plans are month to month and if there's any less lovely options I may not have thought of? I can't find anything. :(

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

So I'm probably going to go for Fido/Rogers since I really want the Nokia 515. Does anyone know if their plans are month to month and if there's any less lovely options I may not have thought of? I can't find anything. :(

I am absolutely mystified as to why you would want that phone.

And yes, with Fido you can take any of their plans month-to-month. There are some data options that can only be used month-to-month as well.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
Virgin's $30/month silver plan isn't half bad right now. Their flex data rates are pretty reasonable.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

grack posted:

I am absolutely mystified as to why you would want that phone.

What's so mystifying about it?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

It's a "dumbphone". Why not get a cheap new smartphone like the Moto G ($200 outright/unsubsidized), and just not get a data plan if monthly cost is a huge issue. Wifi is everywhere these days and the phone is lightyears better.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

It costs more and is substantially less capable than a ton of other phones on the market? Oh, and the standard talk time sucks even compared to low end smartphones (something that's supposed to be a benefit of feature phones).

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

It's a "dumbphone". Why not get a cheap new smartphone like the Moto G ($200 outright/unsubsidized), and just not get a data plan if monthly cost is a huge issue. Wifi is everywhere these days and the phone is lightyears better.

Because I explicitly don't want a smartphone. I don't like carrying the entire internet around with me everywhere I go. It's not the costs at all.

grack posted:

It costs more and is substantially less capable than a ton of other phones on the market? Oh, and the standard talk time sucks even compared to low end smartphones (something that's supposed to be a benefit of feature phones).

It's less capable of things I not only don't care about but explicitly don't want. The talk time is still measured in days, and it's still sexy as hell compared to literally any other dumb phone.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Because I explicitly don't want a smartphone. I don't like carrying the entire internet around with me everywhere I go. It's not the costs at all.

It's less capable of things I not only don't care about but explicitly don't want. The talk time is still measured in days, and it's still sexy as hell compared to literally any other dumb phone.

So delete the internet browser app icons or something? Don't use the internet connected apps? That's a really weird standpoint to have, you're wanting an objectively inferior phone for the same price.

And you absolutely read wrong. The talk time is not measured in days:

Maximum talk time (2G): 10.4 h
Maximum talk time (3G): 5.3 h

From the official page: http://www.nokia.com/global/products/phone/515/

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
Who cares what phone he wants to buy? He's obviously aware of what he's buying. Standby time will also be loads better than a battery sucking smartphone.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

DarkJC posted:

Who cares what phone he wants to buy? He's obviously aware of what he's buying. Standby time will also be loads better than a battery sucking smartphone.

Sorry, yeah, I meant standby time. Then again if I'm on the phone for 10.4 hours without getting to a wall maybe I have problems?

CLAM DOWN posted:

So delete the internet browser app icons or something? Don't use the internet connected apps?

It's still there, I can still just push a button and get online, and people are still a pain in the rear end about having a smartphone and not using the capabilities on it. It's what I'm doing now, but people just get kind of pissy if I say "Sorry I can't do X on my phone" and then they see an iPhone because I've used the parental locks to nuke the browser.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
I use a smartphone without a data plan. Who are these people who get up in your grill for not using the internet? :psyduck:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

It's still there, I can still just push a button and get online, and people are still a pain in the rear end about having a smartphone and not using the capabilities on it. It's what I'm doing now, but people just get kind of pissy if I say "Sorry I can't do X on my phone" and then they see an iPhone because I've used the parental locks to nuke the browser.

Dude no offense for real here, but you're being really silly. Ignore those people. Don't get a far worse phone instead. Just ignore them or tell them to eat poo poo, or something. It's your phone, do whatever you want with it.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

Dude no offense for real here, but you're being really silly. Ignore those people. Don't get a far worse phone instead. Just ignore them or tell them to eat poo poo, or something. It's your phone, do whatever you want with it.

I really really strongly dislike having the internet with me; I don't even own a laptop anymore and the closest I get is carrying a 3G kindle around with me. I view it as a giant distraction and I'd much rather overpay for a pretty dumbphone then way overpay for a really really pretty smartphone that I'm going to totally cripple. Or, you know, pay nothing for a super cheap dumbphone but I do care about aesthetics :v:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

I really really strongly dislike having the internet with me; I don't even own a laptop anymore and the closest I get is carrying a 3G kindle around with me. I view it as a giant distraction and I'd much rather overpay for a pretty dumbphone then way overpay for a really really pretty smartphone that I'm going to totally cripple. Or, you know, pay nothing for a super cheap dumbphone but I do care about aesthetics :v:

Fair enough, but that's why I recommend the Moto G, it's an extremely cheap and very good new smartphone for the same price as what you want to drop on that dumbphone. You're not overpaying for anything there, and it's not even that pretty! It's definitely your choice there, just want to make sure you're aware there are options.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
I was pretty certain the Moto G could connect to the internet?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

The Lumia 515 has full 3G/HSPA (7.2 mbps) internet access too, you're not eliminating it.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
Where can you buy that phone? I want something for my mom, and it has been demonstrated that anything more complex than "press numbers, press call" is too complicated, basically ruling out all smartphones. She hates her Kyocera but really liked my ancient Nokia, so I'd hope that it would last the next 5-10 years.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Err, so can the Nokia 515? It supports 7.2Mbps HSDPA and has a built-in browser. I mean, you can turn off the data connection but you can do that on any smartphone as well. I used Android phones for three full years without a data plan.

Anyways, make the choice you want, it just seems a little strange. Fido and Rogers both do by-the-month plans.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

grack posted:

Err, so can the Nokia 515?

Let me rephrase: "I thought the internet was actually usable on the Moto G?"

ZShakespeare posted:

Where can you buy that phone?

It's pretty much a luxury dumbphone but EBay.

jot
Jul 5, 2003

Some parts of history were never meant to be uncovered.

ZShakespeare posted:

Where can you buy that phone? I want something for my mom, and it has been demonstrated that anything more complex than "press numbers, press call" is too complicated, basically ruling out all smartphones. She hates her Kyocera but really liked my ancient Nokia, so I'd hope that it would last the next 5-10 years.

Try the Doro brand phones. I've bought these for both of my parents. Only cost like $120 outright and they don't do much more than the absolute basics.

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs
Switched up my Rogers plan.

Unlimited Canada wide calling, unlimited text messaging, caller ID + vm (the better version) and unlimited data (for at least 3 months).

$60/month (-$10/month credit) (+$5/month for the caller ID + vm boost) (+$10/month for my LTE tablet sim data sharing) == $65/month

Zarkov Cortez fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Dec 12, 2013

terriyaki
Nov 10, 2003

How long does the unlimited data last for?

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

terriyaki posted:

How long does the unlimited data last for?

3 months

terriyaki
Nov 10, 2003

How much data do you get after those three months?

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
200MB

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

terriyaki posted:

How much data do you get after those three months?

Back to my current 3GB

Kreez
Oct 18, 2003

Does anyone know details about the Telus Shareplus plans?

The Shareplus plans include unlimited nationwide calling. If I then add a second device to the plan (in this case the "Bring your own phone - $35/mo.) to share the data, does that second phone get the same unlimited texting/nationwide calling/voice mail/etc as the "primary" phone? If not, any idea what it does include? The website only says it "includes voice and messaging".

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Kreez posted:

Does anyone know details about the Telus Shareplus plans?

The Shareplus plans include unlimited nationwide calling. If I then add a second device to the plan (in this case the "Bring your own phone - $35/mo.) to share the data, does that second phone get the same unlimited texting/nationwide calling/voice mail/etc as the "primary" phone? If not, any idea what it does include? The website only says it "includes voice and messaging".

I believe yes, that is the case.

Kreez
Oct 18, 2003

Cool. It turns out I'm actually not on a current "SharePlus" plan right now, but rather "Ultd Talk & Text - 2GB Share" for $70, plus the $10 addon for nationwide calling. I switched to it in the summer I think, so it's not that old. Any idea if I can use the $35 BYO device with my "old" plan, or if I'll have to upgrade to a post-"2yr contracts price change" plan? (which makes it not worth the money)

I'd just ask Telus but I've been on hold forever.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
CRTC is probing the Big Three unjustly charging Wind/Mobi etc higher roaming rates than other companies, presumably in an effort to harm their direct competition.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
My mum just added a small data plan to her Koodo iPhone 4 (iOS 7), and to my surprise, FaceTime won't work over 3G. It puts up a modal dialog requesting WiFi.

Is this a Koodo restriction or an iPhone 4 restriction? Or because it's a small (400MB) plan?

I use FaceTime over LTE all the time with my 5s.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

Lexicon posted:

My mum just added a small data plan to her Koodo iPhone 4 (iOS 7), and to my surprise, FaceTime won't work over 3G. It puts up a modal dialog requesting WiFi.

Is this a Koodo restriction or an iPhone 4 restriction? Or because it's a small (400MB) plan?

I use FaceTime over LTE all the time with my 5s.

I just googled it for you, and right from here:

http://www.apple.com/ca/ios/facetime/

quote:

FaceTime over a cellular network requires iPhone 4s, iPhone 5 or iPad (3rd generation) with cellular data capability.

So it looks like it won't work on the iPhone 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

CLAM DOWN posted:

I just googled it for you, and right from here:

http://www.apple.com/ca/ios/facetime/

So it looks like it won't work on the iPhone 4.

Sorry, that was a bit of a fail on my part. Especially as I'm the type of person to criticize this exact thing. But thanks!