Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Abu Dave posted:

If anyones looking for a real fun custom to play that isn't retard metal music, A Tear For Eddie is actually really fun and just stays within one scale so you can feel like a guitar god with relative ease.

So wait are the customs working fine now? Nothing will go wrong if I start using those right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I just tried the first 2014 customs and everything seems to be working fine! Pretty good Wherever I May Roam on there, too. :allears:

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

It's in the garbage. Where it belongs.
It's the real version now. Wherever I May Roam used to be a Rick Roll. In late 2013. Wow.

I grabbed the "White Zombie DLC Pack" of Warp Asylum, Black Sunshine and Soul Crusher. Really fun songs and well made, no DD though. There's Dragula too but that one was a bit dull to play.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Neat.

(Let the living die, Let the living die)

e: Songs are probably: Asylum, Down with the Sickness, and Voices

PaganGoatPants fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Dec 9, 2013

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

gently caress. It's like they're slowly trying to sell me all the horrible poo poo the local station played here in the early 2000's.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
On the bright side, this means that a Linkin Park pack probably isn't far off!

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
I would like some TMBG songs. That would be cool.

Tarq
Apr 25, 2008

by Ralp
The powers that be should take a look at the customs people are making and cash in on that. That is a pretty clear indication of demand. Granted that is a small segment of the overall population, but gives a pretty good idea of what people want to buy.

JHVH-1 posted:

I would like some TMBG songs. That would be cool.

More 80's in general would be nice.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Titty Hero posted:

On the bright side, this means that a Linkin Park pack probably isn't far off!

You're probably right... :(

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

It's in the garbage. Where it belongs.

Tarq posted:

The powers that be should take a look at the customs people are making and cash in on that. That is a pretty clear indication of demand. Granted that is a small segment of the overall population, but gives a pretty good idea of what people want to buy.

Children of Bodom, Metallica and then some more Children of Bodom?

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
They probably figured no one was going to buy the DLC this week anyway since it coincides with customs coming out. Still though, what a poo poo band.

Question about customs: A few of them seem to use DLC of songs that I don't have rather than just using the free one that came with the game. I don't mind buying them necessarily but is there a way to swap the APP ID or are they tied to specific DLC songs for a reason?

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

prom candy posted:

They probably figured no one was going to buy the DLC this week anyway since it coincides with customs coming out. Still though, what a poo poo band.

Question about customs: A few of them seem to use DLC of songs that I don't have rather than just using the free one that came with the game. I don't mind buying them necessarily but is there a way to swap the APP ID or are they tied to specific DLC songs for a reason?

You need the Rocksmith Toolkit for that: https://github.com/rscustom/rocksmith-custom-song-toolkit/releases

Just go to the Packer/Unpacker tab, click the "RS2012" dropdown and select "RS2014". Cherub Rock should be the first option highlighted, and what this sets up is injecting the right APPID into your custom song. Then just press "Choose DLC" to open up a box where you can select the offending song and replace the APPID of the song you don't have with Cherub Rock.

Foodchain
Oct 13, 2005

Tarq posted:

The powers that be should take a look at the customs people are making and cash in on that. That is a pretty clear indication of demand. Granted that is a small segment of the overall population, but gives a pretty good idea of what people want to buy

Licensing prevents them from just putting in whatever they or the users want. You also have to keep in mind that these deals were worked out months ahead.

I don't care much for Disturbed, but more so, I don't believe Rocksmith is going to emulate their guitar tone very well. That's the type of tone you get by layering multiple guitar tracks together, not cranking up distortion. Not usually one to judge before I try, but boy howdy do I have a feelin' about their tone on this sounding really horrible and not at all like the tracks.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Neutral Zone Trap posted:

Children of Bodom

I would love some mid-90s/early 2000s melodic death metal. Children of Bodom and In Flames, especially.
Even though I know I'd never even come close to being able to play those songs, I'd like to strum 1/100th of the notes in the solos and relive my early 20s.

At least I have the Iron Maiden pack to shoot for.

Drint Blasters
Jul 1, 2007

Apologies if this has been asked already, I recently got this for PS3, wanted it for PC but apparently there was bugger all PC copies available in my country.
Anyway, got it for PS3 and I noticed in the song DLC list a bunch of them said "part of pack" or whatever. So I went looking for these packs and found them on the PSN store, seems they were from the previous Rocksmith.

So my question is can I get these DLC packs and play them in 2014 version?

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
Rocksmith 2014 is backward compatible with all Rocksmith 1 DLC, the old tracks are even upgraded with the new features.

Drint Blasters
Jul 1, 2007

Noice, thanks mate!

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Fina posted:

Rocksmith 2014 is backward compatible with all Rocksmith 1 DLC, the old tracks are even upgraded with the new features.

But not all the tracks for some reason? I wanted to grab the Best Coast track off the first game and don't see it for download :(

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Huevo se dice argidia. Argidia!

appropriatemetaphor posted:

But not all the tracks for some reason? I wanted to grab the Best Coast track off the first game and don't see it for download :(

That song wasn't DLC, it was part of the base game. You'll need the RS1 import tool.

quanch
Dec 18, 2003
I feel like the only good chance at getting good 80's songs is through official DLC. I wish ubisoft would leave the nu-metal to the smithy's anvil dudes. It's really hard to find good customs that arent metal songs.

Ouroboros
Apr 23, 2011

quanch posted:

I feel like the only good chance at getting good 80's songs is through official DLC. I wish ubisoft would leave the nu-metal to the smithy's anvil dudes. It's really hard to find good customs that arent metal songs.

There's a pretty good custom of I Ran by A Flock of Seagulls on smithy anvil. The tone has way too much distortion and the delay/echo chords are charted wrong, but otherwise it's really nice.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Ouroboros posted:

There's a pretty good custom of I Ran by A Flock of Seagulls on smithy anvil. The tone has way too much distortion and the delay/echo chords are charted wrong, but otherwise it's really nice.

The problems you listed sound like they invalidate your first sentence.

Toadsniff
Apr 10, 2006

Fire Down Below: Crab Company 2
Can you import songs from the older versions of RS into 2014 or do you have to use the older software?

Ouroboros
Apr 23, 2011

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

The problems you listed sound like they invalidate your first sentence.

Well I've not tried many customs and didn't have the highest expectations, at least the notes are properly synched and tabbed correctly. The echo thing might just be a technical limitation; I've not really played around with the tone creator, but the record uses some pretty extreme delay to achieve that effect and it might not be possible to reproduce it in rocksmith.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Toadsniff posted:

Can you import songs from the older versions of RS into 2014 or do you have to use the older software?

If you own both on the same platform then yes once you buy the import tool.

Ouroboros
Apr 23, 2011
I know it's been mentioned before, but the inability to isolate smaller sections of the songs in the riff repeater is so frustrating. I was playing Mean Bitch and there are some tricky fills in the verses, but the section on riff repeater forces you to play about 20 seconds of power chords either side, so if you want to slow it down and learn it you're sitting around scratching your arse for ages waiting for that bit to come up again.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
This came in the mail yesterday. My first impression is that I'm a little sad that they don't give chord names when you're playing because I am a giant music snob who thinks everybody needs to learn lots and lots of theory so you understand what you're playing. But really, I knew what I was getting myself into so I can't say I'm too disappointed about it.

At the same time it scratches a really nice instant gratification itch that I've had because playing bass by yourself can be really lonely, which is exactly why I bought this in the first place. I woke up this morning with blisters and peeling skin on my fingertips which hasn't happened in such a long time.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Renegret posted:

This came in the mail yesterday. My first impression is that I'm a little sad that they don't give chord names when you're playing because I am a giant music snob who thinks everybody needs to learn lots and lots of theory so you understand what you're playing. But really, I knew what I was getting myself into so I can't say I'm too disappointed about it.

...but it does?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTg_-2BZYWM

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

It's not there for bass then :(

e: that or I missed it because I only played for like two hours

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Polidoro posted:

That song wasn't DLC, it was part of the base game. You'll need the RS1 import tool.

Ah that explains it.

So to get the original songs I'd have to buy Rocksmith normalo, then 10 more bucks for the import tool? Is there anywhere to get the first Rocksmith for cheap? Amazon has it but it's all "used" for more than it cost for Rocksmith 2014... this is for 360.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ouroboros posted:

Well I've not tried many customs and didn't have the highest expectations, at least the notes are properly synched and tabbed correctly. The echo thing might just be a technical limitation; I've not really played around with the tone creator, but the record uses some pretty extreme delay to achieve that effect and it might not be possible to reproduce it in rocksmith.

It's possible, just custom makers are really lazy when it comes to making tones, and making tones in RS 2014 is worse than it was in RS1 because you're more limited and can't load up a tone already assigned to a custom song without having to manually reprogram it all over again.

Toadsniff
Apr 10, 2006

Fire Down Below: Crab Company 2

Ah that explains it.

So to get the original songs I'd have to buy Rocksmith normalo, then 10 more bucks for the import tool? Is there anywhere to get the first Rocksmith for cheap? Amazon has it but it's all "used" for more than it cost for Rocksmith 2014... this is for 360.

I missed the last sale for RS1, hopefully around Christmas it'll come down and then the :10bux: to-import-poo poo-you-own lameness will be justifiable.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Ah that explains it.

I got lucky on Ebay and picked up a new copy for $8. I don't think it matters if it's used either so Craigslist is an option.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Ah that explains it.

I have a 360 version collecting dust in my spare room. I bought the game for the cable only.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty
Gah, not only do custom dlc songs start showing up while my guitar is in the shop. But now they release Disturbed DLC. An old favorite band of mine. The world really is loving with me this week.

prom candy posted:

I guess I don't have the same refined and acceptable taste in music then. :colbert:

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
No you do not. :colbert:

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Renegret posted:

At the same time it scratches a really nice instant gratification itch that I've had because playing bass by yourself can be really lonely, which is exactly why I bought this in the first place. I woke up this morning with blisters and peeling skin on my fingertips which hasn't happened in such a long time.

If Rhythm guitar they do show the chords but the first run will be individual notes, followed by power chords usually before it unlocks the full chord. For Bass though, I think you are only going to get the individual notes. That would be nice to have it as a toggle though. More information outside of rhythm or more information in session mode would be useful for people with more knowledge.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
Paramore's "Now" is the first song I can play entirely from memory, and it doesn't sound too bad either. I've only been playing for about 2 months now. I'm loving Rocksmith 2014!

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Nocheez posted:

I have a 360 version collecting dust in my spare room. I bought the game for the cable only.

How much do you want for it? We could do a goon pass around thing.

Also as far as connecting to the television, the game says that HDMI right to the tv is the worst ever (and there's a bit of lag that makes rhythm with chords hard), but it's all I've got. Would component cables to the TV be any better?

My setup is XBOX > TV > optical out > speakers

But there's no external amp or anything it's some bose thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
If you can get some A/V cables to go XBOX > Speakers that would be best.

Keep HDMI for the video to the TV at the same time.