Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009
The naming convention also suggests that "Captain" is a hereditary post which is a really odd method of military organization.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Stagger_Lee posted:

The naming convention also suggests that "Captain" is a hereditary post which is a really odd method of military organization.

Nah, clearly "Captain" is just a first name, like "Mary" and "Uncle" and "Hill" and... um....

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Stagger_Lee posted:

Eh, sale of officer's commissions wasn't too unusual even well into the 1800s, so it's a bad idea but not completely without precedent.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Nah, clearly "Captain" is just a first name, like "Mary" and "Uncle" and "Hill" and... um....

Maybe more like the one with the last name "Crunch".

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

In the pre-reboot modern stories he's just Captain because Billy is a kid and calls himself Captain.

One thing I actually really liked in The Power of Shazam is that Mary wasn't Mary Marvel, she was also Captain Marvel. When she showed up people would just refer to her as Captain Marvel or occasionally The lady/dame/whatever Captain Marvel.

Mary Marvel has very 90s feelings about that. (I don't know if it's funny enough for this thread but "Mary Marvel blows the T-1000 to pieces with incendiary shells" cracks me up.)

The Power of Shazam although I can't recall the issue.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Dec 5, 2013

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Think back to yourself when you were, like, eight. Would you have been any different?

(I would not have)

Me neither, but it is funny. You maybe hope that the genesis of any superhero in terms of people relating to them is some kind of positive trait, but the creators thinking "Kids are gonna love the idea that their friend would only be super kid while they are super DUPER kid" is great.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

from Dope Rider in "Loco Motive"

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

from http://www.sadsadkiddie.com/

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Loved this cover for Uncanny X-Men #14

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Hakkesshu posted:

Loved this cover for Uncanny X-Men #14

Is that the new guy with the chameleon-like face changing ability?

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Beast mode is flipping us off.

Al Baron
Nov 12, 2007
They were all out of Marquess.

Say Nothing posted:

Is that the new guy with the chameleon-like face changing ability?
Yeah, he's technically now the 616's Morph.

Edit: spoiler just in case.

Al Baron fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Dec 8, 2013

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Al Baron posted:

Yeah, he's technically now the 616's Morph.

Edit: spoiler just in case.

Wait, what issue did this come up?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I thought Changeling was Morph, and also dead.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

WickedHate posted:

Wait, what issue did this come up?
That issue.

It's really good.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

I thought Changeling was Morph, and also dead.

Yeah, I already read that too.

Or does this series have a villain slot open? It could be Mystique still.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

IUG posted:

Yeah, I already read that too.

Or does this series have a villain slot open? It could be Mystique still.

Mystique is currently posing as Dazzler.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

An era when Hitler was as bizarrely cute as he was threatening.

Captain Marvel Adventures #28

Also from the same issue:

Hitler Radio.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Dec 8, 2013

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

Hitler Radio.

I love this picture so much. The concept should be utilized in today's comics. Infinity should have had a scene where Captain America talks to a picture of Iron Man to tell him how things are going.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

ImpAtom posted:

An era when Hitler was as bizarrely cute as he was threatening.

Captain Marvel Adventures #28

Hitler Radio.

I firmly believe that the Hitler Radio sounds like one of those drive through boxes in McDonalds.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Hawkeye #14

This is the most genuine reaction to fighting one of the Hawkeyes that I've ever seen.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I still find it ridiculous that people get shot in their vitals with arrows and don't die. There's that bad guy in Hawkeye #2 who got shot in the eyes, and Hawkeye calmly says he'll live.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Underestimating Hawkeye? No-one makes that mistake twice...

Though it's probably a special stooge-arrow for eye-poking. Stil not gonna beat Deadpool's tribute trick arrows, posted earlier in this thread.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Schneider Heim posted:

I still find it ridiculous that people get shot in their vitals with arrows and don't die. There's that bad guy in Hawkeye #2 who got shot in the eyes, and Hawkeye calmly says he'll live.

Well they may die, but rebirth is something even the average person experiences with regularity. This is the primary cause of the sliding timescale. :eng101:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Schneider Heim posted:

Yeah, that was weird, tone-wise. Traditionally, Hawkeye almost never uses normal arrows on people, and it's not like he had much of a reason to do so in that issue. It just seemed violent for the sake of violence.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

Yeah, that was weird, tone-wise. Traditionally, Hawkeye almost never uses normal arrows on people, and it's not like he had much of a reason to do so in that issue. It just seemed violent for the sake of violence.

Not to mention that a few innocent people clearly get mowed down in the background of that scene and neither Clint or Kate even seem to notice. Very weird, tone-wise.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Didn't Kate ice a few dudes in issue 1 or 2? I seem to remember that.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Schneider Heim posted:

I honestly took that as dry sarcasm.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

SirDan3k posted:

I honestly took that as dry sarcasm.
I assume he was just straight up lying.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Evil Mastermind posted:

Not to mention that a few innocent people clearly get mowed down in the background of that scene and neither Clint or Kate even seem to notice. Very weird, tone-wise.

They were chilling in a hotel that was otherwise full of high-end criminals. Odds are pretty good they weren't "innocent."

DoktorVerderben
Nov 23, 2009

I found it... beneath me.

Schneider Heim posted:

To be fair, there are plenty of real-world examples of people going to the hospital, sometimes under their own power, with injuries that would appear to be fatal, and then making full recoveries. I've seen things like people who've had rebar pierce their eyesocket and enter the brain, or a man stabbed in the heart with a chef's knife(you could see the knife twitching with his heartbeat), so sometimes people can be surprisingly hard to kill. It's not a huge leap to make the assumption that a person with a comic book level of skill might be able to replicate such nonfatal injuries.

Conversely, I sometimes think about how strange it is that you almost never see a comic book hero accidentally kill a person. It is entirely possible for even a single punch to cause a bleed in the brain which can be fatal. After years of punching people in the head it would be entirely possible someone like Batman would accidentally kill a man with a punch. Again, for the sake of the story, you just have to assume that the hero has a preternatural level of skill which prevents this from happening.

Andrew Verse
Mar 30, 2011

DoktorVerderben posted:

Conversely, I sometimes think about how strange it is that you almost never see a comic book hero accidentally kill a person. It is entirely possible for even a single punch to cause a bleed in the brain which can be fatal. After years of punching people in the head it would be entirely possible someone like Batman would accidentally kill a man with a punch. Again, for the sake of the story, you just have to assume that the hero has a preternatural level of skill which prevents this from happening.

Spider-Man accidentally punched Wolverine's girlfriend to death.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

Andrew Verse posted:

To be fair, that needs a little context - he was being approached from behind and thought it was Wolverine (who was fighting because reasons), so he lashed out with a full strength punch. She crumpled instantly and died within a minute or so.

Strontosaurus
Sep 11, 2001

This is as good a time as any to point out that while the Hulk is rampaging, Banner's brain is used to full capacity to make sure that nobody accidentally gets hurt as he causes untold billions of dollars of property damage. This is canon.

For content: Iron Man has to get Hulk really really mad. Low blow, man.

Indestructible Hulk Annual

Strontosaurus fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Dec 9, 2013

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Strontosaurus posted:

This is as good a time as any to point out that while the Hulk is rampaging, Banner's brain is used to full capacity to make sure that nobody accidentally gets hurt as he causes untold billions of dollars of property damage. This is canon.

It needs to be shot out of a canon.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Andrew Verse posted:

Also wasn't she trying to die?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

DoktorVerderben posted:

Conversely, I sometimes think about how strange it is that you almost never see a comic book hero accidentally kill a person.

Isn't that a big plot point in Uncanny Avengers? Rogue takes someone's strength and punches a villain to death because she didn't realize the strength of the person she took her power from and/or assumed the villain would be tougher.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

bobkatt013 posted:

Also wasn't she trying to die?

Yes, this was exactly what she wanted to do. That was a hell of a story. Peter David, I think?

Edit: Nope, it was Priest. :allears:

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Andrew Verse posted:

Where the gently caress did this happen? That sounds awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Hakkesshu posted:

Where the gently caress did this happen? That sounds awful.

It sounds horrible, but it was a pretty great story. Blew my young mind. (Not that my mind was particularly amazing or anything.)

http://marvel.wikia.com/Spider-Man_Versus_Wolverine_Vol_1_1

http://captaincomics.ning.com/profiles/blogs/retro-review-spider-man-versus-wolverine-1986

• Locked thread