Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ShadowStalker
Apr 14, 2006

system protocol posted:

I would probably head there now. As for online sales I don't know when they will be available for the discounted price. I keep checking their website, however it is still showing $299.

Yeah, I'm going around 8 to see if there's a line. I'm not waiting overnight for the deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Slickdeals users are reporting that Walmart is price matching with the email. I might go try it, considering Walmart is a 5 minute drive from my house.

Proof, this receipt:

Lafarg
Jul 23, 2012

Tha Chodesweller posted:

It's one in the morning and it's 15 below, I'm not leaving right now! Maybe I'll just sell off some poo poo I'm not using to help afford it.

I hear you. As much as I would love to have one for 99 dollars, I don't want it bad enough to wait in line for 10 hours.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

system protocol posted:

I hear you. As much as I would love to have one for 99 dollars, I don't want it bad enough to wait in line for 10 hours.

I also don't want to explain to my parents that I left at 1 in the morning to get a tablet, but, y'know, always easier to ask for forgiveness than permission. I printed out the ad and have it on my phone and as well as the receipt for walmart I posted, so here comes a pricematch attempt.

Drinking 2 cups of coffee at 9PM was a good idea after all.

Lafarg
Jul 23, 2012

Let me know if this works. I'll probably go buy all of them for 99 bucks if the employees at Walmart are dumb enough to dump all their stock. (They are)

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I've decided against leaving right now - it's late and I gotta wake up in 4 hours for work anyway, and I doubt there are too many other people out late shopping for tablets.

We'll see if it bites me in the rear end. Real excited to actually get one of these.

Lafarg
Jul 23, 2012

I did not bother waiting. I printed out the ad and went down to Wal-Mart and yes they priced matched for 99 dollars.

Lafarg fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Dec 9, 2013

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Nice.

I have had good luck with Walmart in the past with good deals, got my ultra book for $120. Congrats on the tablet, be sure to let us know how it is.

I'm going to stop deal chat now and let the rest of you all do tablet chat. I will return later, hopefully victorious.

nolen
Apr 4, 2004

butts.

Mister Fister posted:

Just out of curiosity, where did you read that they're replacing the old stylus with a new one?

It was just a few users over on tabletpcreview.com's forums. I should clarify that it's not a NEW stylus in the sense that it's anything different, but that people were saying that they had lovely stylus performance, even after the update, and that they had Dell replace it and that it is now DRASTICALLY improved.

If anything, I'm sure it was a quality control problem on Synaptic's end and Dell is probably forcing a more rigorous QC process on each stylus that goes out. That would explain the delay in all new stylus orders as well.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

I know it's a longshot, but are there any capacitive styluses for tablets without active digitizers that have pressure sensitivity over bluetooth? There's a few for iOS, but as far as I can tell they don't have Windows drivers.

Oz
Sep 10, 2003

Minion Of Relin
OK Update on the Pavilion 11 X2

Oz posted:

I may have been wrong then. Using that link I was able to find this page: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=23321

The page says that its an 8.1 compatible HD Graphics driver for the Pentium N3510.

I'll have to try it out and report back.

This driver fixed the display issue I was having with Windows 8.1, so crisis averted. No other problems with the device so far, I'm really enjoying it.

As for battery tests, I've only had time to do one. Here's my initial finding:

Tablet docked, running off tablet and dock batteries. Running PassMark's BurnIn to simulate use (CPU ops, RAM tests, HD r/w, 2D gfx, 3D gfx) at normal screen brightness. Power lasted for 7 hours.

Not too shabby. Haven't had time to test just the tablet's battery alone.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug
Microsoft released a major firmware update for the Surface today, in particular for the SP2.

It appears to have fixed the issues with the Touch/Type keyboards backlighting and random disconnects, and a big problem with the 256/512 SP2 not recovering from sleep consistently. There's some other stuff too - improved wireless, better color correction, etch - but I can confirm the Type 2 keyboard works better, the trackpad is much improved (meaning it sucks less) and the sleep issue I used to get as recently as today so far has not recurred.

You can get it by manually checking Windows Update.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Ixian posted:

Microsoft released a major firmware update for the Surface today, in particular for the SP2.

It appears to have fixed the issues with the Touch/Type keyboards backlighting and random disconnects, and a big problem with the 256/512 SP2 not recovering from sleep consistently. There's some other stuff too - improved wireless, better color correction, etch - but I can confirm the Type 2 keyboard works better, the trackpad is much improved (meaning it sucks less) and the sleep issue I used to get as recently as today so far has not recurred.

You can get it by manually checking Windows Update.

Oh poo poo nice, thanks for the heads up downloading now.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 minutes!
Yeah, my SP2 had the sleep issue yesterday so I'm glad to hear this. Thanks! :) (btw, I see an "etch" instead of "etc" which means you should turn off spelling autocorrect, heads up :v:)

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Nice, my touch keyboard back lighting is staying consistant now. I would also say it feels more accurate/responsive but I have no doubt thats just in my head.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

Tom Guycot posted:

Nice, my touch keyboard back lighting is staying consistant now. I would also say it feels more accurate/responsive but I have no doubt thats just in my head.

Well, on the Type 2 keyboard, the touchpad is quite a bit better - more responsive, gestures actually work now, I even managed to two-finger drag an object - so maybe the firmware update improved touch across the board.

The touchpad is still too small and the fabric feel is just weird but at least it's usable now.

loquacius posted:

Yeah, my SP2 had the sleep issue yesterday so I'm glad to hear this. Thanks! :) (btw, I see an "etch" instead of "etc" which means you should turn off spelling autocorrect, heads up :v:)

Thanks, missed the autocorrect.

The sleep issue just started happening to me about 4 days ago, no idea what triggered it but it was getting really annoying since "waking" it rebooted the thing. It hasn't happened again (and the update notes specifically address it) so hopefully it's gone for good.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.
Venue 11 Pro order changed shipping date to 12/30. I emailed our Dell rep and he said they are having unusually long lead times that should be cleared by January. This was on an order on 11/21. Was really hoping to get one before Christmas :)

Some French Guy
Aug 30, 2003
Hey guys I've been looking at windows tablet over the past couple fo days coming from an ipad2. I'm really looking for something that can last a long time while also having ok power. I'm gonna use it to type with a pdf open, watch video, listen to podcast, read the usual. Nothing that's supposed to be too intensive. I'm looking toward getting an Iconia W510 by acer cause of these reasons. A friend of mine got it and I tried it a little bit and it seemed fine. Also I don't really like the look of the T100.
Now it's 450€ right now and I wouldn't mind going up to say 800€ and get something better but I get confused with the different processors. I would like something with a keyboard too.

The main thing I'm worried about is the processor. As I understand it these atom processor use the least power and are ok while not being too powerfull. Now the I3/I5/I7 are better but I read that they come with fans ? I would like to avoid anything with fans inside after having bad experiences with laptops.
So any good compromise between battery life (hopefully around 9/10 hours would be perfect) and power with a keyboard for around 700-800€ (same in dollars, we get screwed)?

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Any release news on the Omni 10? This seems like the one I'll be getting based on price to spec ratio and early reviews.

Rent
Jul 20, 2004
Steal the warm wind tired friend

Some French Guy posted:

Hey guys I've been looking at windows tablet over the past couple fo days coming from an ipad2. I'm really looking for something that can last a long time while also having ok power. I'm gonna use it to type with a pdf open, watch video, listen to podcast, read the usual. Nothing that's supposed to be too intensive. I'm looking toward getting an Iconia W510 by acer cause of these reasons. A friend of mine got it and I tried it a little bit and it seemed fine. Also I don't really like the look of the T100.
Now it's 450€ right now and I wouldn't mind going up to say 800€ and get something better but I get confused with the different processors. I would like something with a keyboard too.

The main thing I'm worried about is the processor. As I understand it these atom processor use the least power and are ok while not being too powerfull. Now the I3/I5/I7 are better but I read that they come with fans ? I would like to avoid anything with fans inside after having bad experiences with laptops.
So any good compromise between battery life (hopefully around 9/10 hours would be perfect) and power with a keyboard for around 700-800€ (same in dollars, we get screwed)?

I don't know where you live and what is available in your area, but don't get a w510. It uses an older Atom CPU which is slow as poo poo. Also you don't need core i3/5/7 for what you're doing. You'll sacrifice on battery, they'll be heavier, hotter, and have fans. You don't need that type of power. What you do need is one of the newer Atom CPUs named Baytrail. The CPU specs will say something like "Intel Atom Z3740D". Stay away from anything that says Z2xxx

Some French Guy
Aug 30, 2003
Alright thanks for the reply ! So I guess it's down to a T100 or a Dell one ? Doesn't seem like there is a lot of choice for quad core atoms. Might go for the t100 after all. They are at 379€ right now.

Oz
Sep 10, 2003

Minion Of Relin

Some French Guy posted:

Some French Guy posted:

Alright thanks for the reply ! So I guess it's down to a T100 or a Dell one ? Doesn't seem like there is a lot of choice for quad core atoms. Might go for the t100 after all. They are at 379€ right now.

I recommend the HP Pavilion 11 X2.

Oz fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Dec 13, 2013

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Syrinxx posted:

Any release news on the Omni 10? This seems like the one I'll be getting based on price to spec ratio and early reviews.

I posted something of a mini-review on this several pages back. The screen is really nice, but it is a bit heavy. I ended up returning mine because it developed a charging issue a couple of days after getting it, and bought a Dell Venue 8 Pro for $230 instead. If you're in the states, you should be able to find it at Office Depot - the one I bought mine from even had a display model out on the floor.

ShadowStalker
Apr 14, 2006
Apparently there are rumors that MS is going to be releasing a Surface Mini in the first half of 2014. Might have to pick one up if it's build as solidly as the surface and is in the 7-8" range.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Clark Nova posted:

I posted something of a mini-review on this several pages back. The screen is really nice, but it is a bit heavy. I ended up returning mine because it developed a charging issue a couple of days after getting it, and bought a Dell Venue 8 Pro for $230 instead. If you're in the states, you should be able to find it at Office Depot - the one I bought mine from even had a display model out on the floor.
Cool, thanks. Since I'm replacing an iPad 3 which weighs 650g, I don't think the 630g weight of the Omni will bother me. Very excited to get a 10" Windows tablet finally for games and comics. The idea of a proprietary charger is super annoying though.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

ShadowStalker posted:

Apparently there are rumors that MS is going to be releasing a Surface Mini in the first half of 2014. Might have to pick one up if it's build as solidly as the surface and is in the 7-8" range.

A surface mini that is basically Microsoft's take on the Venue Pro 8 and similar in price would be pretty drat sweet.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

As long as it's running Windows 8 and not RT. Even so, I still love my Venue 8 Pro and I have no significant issues with the hardware. Still, a higher resolution screen and more ports would be nice. A built-in kickstand and smaller keyboard cover like the rest of the Surface line would be neat to have. While the keyboard cover at that size would be too small for extensive typing, it beats typing with the touchscreen while the tablet is propped up (sometimes a single press would register as multiple hits) and a touchpad would help make navigating the desktop a lot easier. It would be even more interesting if it used the same connecter as the other larger covers as well for a more comfortable typing experience or to use other specialized covers like the DJ pad.

Also, I was able to find the tip to the stylus so crisis averted. Although now I keep the stylus stowed in my coat pocket along with a ballpoint pen so I won't be as likely lose the tip and the stylus didn't come with any spare tips.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Holy poo poo the patch actually noticeably improved the lovely trackpad on the SP2 type cover. Gestures actually register now.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.

Edward IV posted:

As long as it's running Windows 8 and not RT. Even so, I still love my Venue 8 Pro and I have no significant issues with the hardware. Still, a higher resolution screen and more ports would be nice. A built-in kickstand and smaller keyboard cover like the rest of the Surface line would be neat to have. While the keyboard cover at that size would be too small for extensive typing, it beats typing with the touchscreen while the tablet is propped up (sometimes a single press would register as multiple hits) and a touchpad would help make navigating the desktop a lot easier. It would be even more interesting if it used the same connecter as the other larger covers as well for a more comfortable typing experience or to use other specialized covers like the DJ pad.

Also, I was able to find the tip to the stylus so crisis averted. Although now I keep the stylus stowed in my coat pocket along with a ballpoint pen so I won't be as likely lose the tip and the stylus didn't come with any spare tips.

http://www.wpcentral.com/dell-venue-8-pro-wireless-keyboard-now-available

This folio/keyboard combo looks like it could be pretty decent.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Anyone with an open order with Dell might want to check in on it. My stylus order was delayed a while back, and I decided to check in on the order. Apparently, it's been delayed AGAIN, but this time Dell didn't deem it necessary to email me about it. What's better is that I needed to "consent" to the delay, or it would be cancelled. Good thing I checked. Seems like I'd better order the keyboardfolio thing soon and forget about it until it arrives in hopefully six months.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Alright, what's the deal with Chrome? I just picked up a Dell Venue 8 Pro and I'm having a hell of a time getting Chrome to recognize touchscreen input. I'll tap something eight or nine times but Chrome won't recognize that I'm tapping anything. I see the "ripples" that emanate out from the point of contact with the screen, and I see that they're right over (for example) the menu icon, but Chrome won't respond. I've even enabled Enable Touch Events and Touch Optimized UI, but neither of those improved things.

Is this just a limitation of the browser on a touchscreen device? I sincerely hope there's a way to get it to work, I'm too tied into Google's ecosystem to not have access to Chrome.

IAmKale fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Dec 13, 2013

nolen
Apr 4, 2004

butts.

Karthe posted:

Alright, what's the deal with Chrome? I just picked up a Dell Venue 8 Pro and I'm having a hell of a time getting Chrome to recognize touchscreen input. I'll tap something eight or nine times but Chrome won't recognize that I'm tapping anything. I see the "ripples" that emanate out from the point of contact with the screen, and I see that they're right over (for example) the menu icon, but Chrome won't respond. I've even enabled Enable Touch Events and Touch Optimized UI, but neither of those improved things.

Is this just a limitation of the browser on a touchscreen device? I sincerely hope there's a way to get it to work, I'm too tied into Google's ecosystem to not have access to Chrome.

This helped me a lot on my Surface:

1. Open Chrome, type “chrome://flags” into the url field.

2. Search for “HiDPI Support”.

3. Change to “Enabled”.

4. Restart Chrome.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

nolen posted:

This helped me a lot on my Surface:

1. Open Chrome, type “chrome://flags” into the url field.

2. Search for “HiDPI Support”.

3. Change to “Enabled”.

4. Restart Chrome.

Thanks for pointing that out, that fixed the problem.

Aside from that issue, this thing isn't as bad as I thought it might be. The desktop isn't as small as I had feared, and signing in with my Outlook account preloaded the same wallpaper and settings that I'd configured on my desktop. The only problem I have now is the soft keyboard - after having access to several swipe keyboards on Android this hunting and pecking at keys feels incredibly punishing.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

The HP Omni 10 just popped up on Amazon at $349 but it shows out of stock and "will ship when available". Anyway, 50 bux off the Omni 10 if you're looking for one.

http://www.amazon.com/HP-O10-5600US-10-1-Inch-Tablet-Graphite/dp/B00GSPW2QG/

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Syrinxx posted:

Cool, thanks. Since I'm replacing an iPad 3 which weighs 650g, I don't think the 630g weight of the Omni will bother me. Very excited to get a 10" Windows tablet finally for games and comics. The idea of a proprietary charger is super annoying though.

The main problem with the proprietary charger (aside from the fact that I somehow managed to kill it - be careful) is that the cord only about three feet long. Also, if you are going to pick up OTG and micro-hdmi cables, you should look for ones that lead straight out from the port, as opposed to at a right angle, because the power, usb and video ports are bunched very closely together on the side of the device, and an angled cable will block the other ports.

Clark Nova fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Dec 14, 2013

ShadowStalker
Apr 14, 2006
Anybody grabbing the Xbox Music Pass for $30/year tomorrow from MS? Anybody use it currently? What are your thoughts on it?

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

ShadowStalker posted:

Anybody grabbing the Xbox Music Pass for $30/year tomorrow from MS? Anybody use it currently? What are your thoughts on it?

It was a huge clusterfuck when it launched that was missing most of the features of it's predecessor (and most of the new features it had didn't actually work), but it's slowly been getting less bad.

If you're all in on the whole MS ecosystem (Xbox, windows 8, windows phone) and don't have overly complex requirements from a music service, it's not a bad deal for that price though. That is just the doorbuster price though, the deal for normal people is like $70.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

ShadowStalker posted:

If you want to find new music and don't mind being restrained to their catalog, $30 for a year is a killer deal.

If you want to upload your own music to their cloud so you can access it everywhere, it's garbage. It will only add music it can match to their catalog and, even then, it can be missing certain songs out of an album due to rights issues. That didn't work for me since I had a bunch of bootlegs and rare releases. If you need this, Amazon Cloud Player is a much better deal at $25 a year. I uploaded over 200 GB of music and it was a buttery smooth experience. They matched what they could and uploaded the stuff that was missing.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

ShadowStalker posted:

Got a link or more detail on this?

Thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
And there's always Google Music All Access, which has the best of both worlds (streaming catalog and cloud uploads). There's no first party Windows 8 app but gMusicW is pretty drat good. You can't search for things that aren't in your library from the app, but it's easy enough to add stuff to your library with IE and then search for it and play it in gMusicW.

• Locked thread