Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

Shock Trooper posted:

Look how serious THIS guy takes internet video game wrestling!

Yeah that's an awful lot of fluff for what amounts to "Bazza sat through an hour of people saying 'bad show' because of Barkley and quick match settings, posted a couple of snippy twitter posts after the fact because of that, and then slightly overreacted to a few twitter posts in response to his," but you can't paint the entire fanbase as a poisonous cancer if you post about what actually happened I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tribladeofchaos
Jul 2, 2008

IT'S SHOWTIME!

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

Well, that's oversimplifying it. Even Bowser lost to Arnio. But this is really closer to saying that since Ganon kept winning, lets get rid of his main attribute that allows him to win. Barkley wasn't unbeatable with the knee, he still lost to Gaben after his change, its just kind of annoying how the bad programming that lets the guy I like win is somehow worse than the bad programming that lets whoever else is more popular at the time win.

Anyway, I know Barkley isn't coming back, just that the angry mob that'll eventually appear when Frog or King of All Cosmos get knocked out of the tournament shouldn't be listened to.

Barkley had every chance to get his comeback. Without his weak leg he lost every single match he was in until Bazza gave him a brand new moveset to seem like an actual threat to Little Mac or Haggar and he won against Gary. But he couldn't close the deal because he got slaughtered by Haggar at half HP. In all honesty Barkley screwed Barkley.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Perfect Potato posted:

Yeah that's an awful lot of fluff for what amounts to "Bazza sat through an hour of people saying 'bad show' because of Barkley and quick match settings, posted a couple of snippy twitter posts after the fact because of that, and then slightly overreacted to a few twitter posts in response to his," but you can't paint the entire fanbase as a poisonous cancer if you post about what actually happened I guess.

The Polygon article talks about how it takes Bazza between 2-7 hours to set up a show, probably longer for things like Endgame where he has to set up and edit tons of plot scenes and matches. Having a horde of assholes descend upon you and call you all sorts of disgusting things for you setting up AI matches video game matches is probably supremely frustrating and enough to put you off of the endeavor entirely.

Thankfully a lot of the most aggressive and vile fan base seems to have faded away in the past few months. I assume a lot of assholes who got brought in from the Giant Bomb rec. got bored and left after a few months.

SoggyBobcat
Oct 2, 2013

Tribladeofchaos posted:

Barkley had every chance to get his comeback. Without his weak leg he lost every single match he was in until Bazza gave him a brand new moveset to seem like an actual threat to Little Mac or Haggar and he won against Gary. But he couldn't close the deal because he got slaughtered by Haggar at half HP. In all honesty Barkley screwed Barkley.

His moveset was never edited during Season 5. He always fameassers and the Cesaro uppercut in his moveset and the Omega Driver as his finisher even when his knee was broken.

Tribladeofchaos
Jul 2, 2008

IT'S SHOWTIME!

SoggyBobcat posted:

His moveset was never edited during Season 5. He always fameassers and the Cesaro uppercut in his moveset and the Omega Driver as his finisher even when his knee was broken.

I'm pretty sure it was, after all I don't think i've ever seen him do the big show punch before his match with Gary at least.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Kratos aside, I would love to see Rash called up to the big leagues. Arino vs Battletoads II :getin:

SoggyBobcat
Oct 2, 2013

Tribladeofchaos posted:

I'm pretty sure it was, after all I don't think i've ever seen him do the big show punch before his match with Gary at least.

Bazza has always denied mucking around with stats and movesets to try and alter matches and I highly doubt he suddenly went against that with Barkley. People are just used to Barkley sucking these days and we never get to see his full moveset.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

Tribladeofchaos posted:

Yeah I'm pretty sure Sagat was the first official showcase for the uppercut too. Otherwise no one would have lost their poo poo nearly as much as they did if Barkley was throwing one out every other match.

What's weird is that Barkley did a ton of strange poo poo in that Gary match, but I don't think he's done any of it since. Course when Haggar's destroying you in 5 minutes you don't get much of a chance to show off your offense.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
But really, seeing that submissions actually work in WWE 14, could we make a case for the return of Barkley's gimped leg? As long as a CAW has some sort of leg-based submission, dealing enough damage to Barkley's legs could lead to an easy sub finisher. I guess someone would have to test that out and see if it's still an unfair advantage, or if it's reasonably balanced in 14.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Dias posted:

But really, seeing that submissions actually work in WWE 14, could we make a case for the return of Barkley's gimped leg? As long as a CAW has some sort of leg-based submission, dealing enough damage to Barkley's legs could lead to an easy sub finisher. I guess someone would have to test that out and see if it's still an unfair advantage, or if it's reasonably balanced in 14.

You basically get 1 submission and 4 non-sub moves for any grappling position. A lot of the time CAW makers will choose the same submission for multiple slots to save time, and when there are way more Head/body subs on the list than leg ones you'll probably have a lot of CAWs lacking one. And whether a CAW AI will be able to work out to go to the position to use its leg submission rather than just limb target with a non-sub grapple... well I can imagine it being a lot more trouble than it's worth.

SoggyBobcat
Oct 2, 2013

Perfect Potato posted:

Yeah I'm pretty sure Sagat was the first official showcase for the uppercut too. Otherwise no one would have lost their poo poo nearly as much as they did if Barkley was throwing one out every other match.

You're wrong. Watch some of his earlier matches with the new CAW. Here's his title match with Ganon: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlMKV5_0YL0

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
Huh. Wonder why he barely ever busts it out.

SoggyBobcat
Oct 2, 2013

Perfect Potato posted:

Huh. Wonder why he barely ever busts it out.

You pretty much summed it up in your previous post. Without his glitch leg to soak up weak offense from his opponent Barkley is incredibly fragile and loses pretty quickly. Frickin' Barret beat him in about 8 minutes or so.

Tribladeofchaos
Jul 2, 2008

IT'S SHOWTIME!

SoggyBobcat posted:

You're wrong. Watch some of his earlier matches with the new CAW. Here's his title match with Ganon: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlMKV5_0YL0

Huh what do you know I never noticed that before. My point still stands though, Barkley screwed Barkley :colbert:.

TheEggsBenedict
Jan 4, 2013

if i go crazy then
will you still
call me superman
We've barely seen anything out of 2K14 Barkley, so will you guys stop assume that Barkley needs to get his broken leg back? His only match so far was a last man standing match, and we just saw how hosed up that match type can be.

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
Just watched Frog vs Keen. Star Road is going to be a veritable can of worms, even with (or especially with?) fast matches turned on. It is my hope of hopes that, whoever wins the actual tournament, Bazza throws Frog and The King of All Cosmos in for the hell of it.

TOH
Jun 24, 2013

Hope thrusts alone!

NiceAaron posted:

Thanks! Sorry for the late reply, I didn't have time to watch VGCW last week and I was avoiding this thread until I could. I had actually included her school uniform as the "Cinematic Attire" for her main outfit; in retrospect, it was pretty silly not to make it an actual outfit, since I ended up not using all the outfit slots anyway. I have re-uploaded the CAW with the school uniform outfit and a secret bonus outfit. :getin:

Awesome, thanks a ton and great work! I'll grab it when I'm back home.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

It would be pretty silly not to use Frog after that bugfuck insane reaction he got just for showing up.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
The Battletoads would probably be better as a tag team than as singles wrestlers. Has Bazza stated that he might let new wrestlers in without them winning the Star Road tournament? He said that tournament losers can be in the next one, which suggests that he won't consider them otherwise.

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.

GANDHITRON posted:

Star Road is going to be a veritable can of worms, even with (or especially with?) fast matches turned on.

Star Road matches will be set to Normal pace, not fast.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

NiceAaron posted:

Thanks! Sorry for the late reply, I didn't have time to watch VGCW last week and I was avoiding this thread until I could. I had actually included her school uniform as the "Cinematic Attire" for her main outfit; in retrospect, it was pretty silly not to make it an actual outfit, since I ended up not using all the outfit slots anyway. I have re-uploaded the CAW with the school uniform outfit and a secret bonus outfit. :getin:
So how long before chat is spamming "Initiating evasive maneuvers"?

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

The Monkey Man posted:

The Battletoads would probably be better as a tag team than as singles wrestlers.

they clearly need to join forces with the Lee's

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

I really hope that if Battletoads get in, we get Pimple as a super-heavyweight. A monster toad-thing throwing guys around, breaking rings...

:allears:

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

I like that Kratos returned immediately to a title shot. If Bazza brings him back, I want it to be for Haggar's title.

The only problem I see with having Kratos around is all the bad Chris Benoit jokes the chat will make.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Dias posted:

Well, not every character on the roster has a leg submission, do they? So that could make him better against say, Gaben, but completely suck against Luigi.

Justin_Brett fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Dec 9, 2013

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
You also need to wear out that leg specifically, then deal with the fact that unless you've got Luigi's Sharpshooter you're focused on a broken mechanic.

Between the two factors it's little wonder why a character would get outlasted. Though it's probably less of an issue in '14, since submissions are a valid way to end a match now. Before it was really just 10 wasted seconds since you KNEW it wasn't gonna work, or you KNEW it was because it was a finisher.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
On the plus side, if Barkley's knee was re-broken Frog would wreck him, since Frog heavily targets the body/legs (but is usually too short to attack the other guy's head).

TheEggsBenedict
Jan 4, 2013

if i go crazy then
will you still
call me superman

Justin_Brett posted:

Well, not every character on the roster has a leg submission, do they? So that could make him better against say, Gaben, but completely suck against Luigi.
The sharpshooter isn't a leg based submission in the WWE Videogame Universe.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

Perfect Potato posted:

Oh no, I'm not saying the whole fanbase is like this. But it's the nature of the beast. VGCW is a supremely niche-y type of product, and it's the kind of niche that attracts that kind of people, and they can be REALLY loud and aggressive in their idiocy. It's why I said that if it came back, we need to police ourselves and drown them out.

Trust me, getting legit criticism for a creative endeavor from a FRIEND can suck and make one angry, I know this from personal experience. I can't imagine what it's like to get harassment-based stupidity from a bunch of strangers. But we're going in circles. I'll wait until Bazza actually (if he ever) does something like bring Kratos back or not call Frog up to further comment on the situation.

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

TheEggsBenedict posted:

The sharpshooter isn't a leg based submission in the WWE Videogame Universe.

Just like it isn't in our universe. The pain is in the lower back, all the legs stuff is just for show.

I mean it's all for show, but the Sharpshooter is just a sexed up Boston Crab.

TheEggsBenedict
Jan 4, 2013

if i go crazy then
will you still
call me superman

Pasco posted:

Just like it isn't in our universe. The pain is in the lower back, all the legs stuff is just for show.

Welp, I guess I underestimated Yukes too much then. :eng99:

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Yeah, that's part of the problem. Leg based submissions I think total the figure four and the ankle lock out of a couple dozen holds. Indian death lock is in the latest DLC, I think - so progress!

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Is the AI in 14 still dumb enough to focus on his leg if they can't take advantage of it? Has anyone checked?

I mean of course the answer is probably yes but maybe it's not even an issue.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Sindai posted:

Is the AI in 14 still dumb enough to focus on his leg if they can't take advantage of it? Has anyone checked?

Even then, the leg is simply less vital than the head and body. Which, due to limb hp being ratios, were even stronger on Barkley. It is a case of nonequivalent weaknesses being weighed too evenly. Heck, a reverse Barkley would probably be below Gary on the totem pole.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."

Sindai posted:

No. I've done a lot of tests and it seems to be working properly now.

Although, to be honest it was actually rare in 13 too, from my observations it was generally specific move-sets that would get weirdly focused on the leg.

Fun fact though, Barkley wasn't the only character with altered health ratios in 13, but he may have been the most dramatic case.

I think the main problem Barkley had was that he was balanced to be a main-eventer when people didn't want him to be and had a stint of awful booking.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Pasco posted:

This is much more apparent when you have someone who actually knows how to do it correctly, like Bret Hart, performing the Sharpshooter instead of, say, the Rock.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Did someone lose this Coyote?

No? Alright, well. I'll just leave her here then.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Some stuff I've been working on. I may submit them once I feel they're good enough (so probably never :v:):

Joel(The Last of Us)

Kyle Katarn (Dark Forces/Jedi Knight series)

And since they didn't turn out to be Gabe's security, I feel less silly making these guys:

Fake edit: I really need to differentiate Joel and Kyle's faces.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

It's also far easier to make someone turn over if you're torquing their leg like in a Sharpshooter, rather than trying to force someone over in a Boston Crab. I have learned through a childhood of wrestling with siblings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

DeathChicken posted:

It's also far easier to make someone turn over if you're torquing their leg like in a Sharpshooter, rather than trying to force someone over in a Boston Crab. I have learned through a childhood of wrestling with siblings.

It's also easier to keep a solid grip once in a good Sharpshooter. You can't twist out as easily as you can in a Boston Crab. Figure Fours are also a bitch once they're locked.

Don't try this at home.

• Locked thread