Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.
One award given out at a recent engineering fair sponsored by multi-billion company for self-powered model cars was "Most likely to have been made by a person with an online engineering degree" so take that how you will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DinosaurWarfare
Apr 27, 2010

KetTarma posted:

tell me about your groupwork experience

tell me about your senior design project

tell me about a problem in lab and how you overcame it

how did you attend this college when you never lived in that state

so how did you do your labs and tests?

online huh? so... thank you for your time.

My rationale was more like, "I want to study Engineering in the future but I have a humanities undergrad, and if I'm going to take an rear end-load of undergrad credits to transition then I might as well get another bachelor's w/ABET accreditation to open some more doors for grad school"

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I think what we're saying is that some more effort put towards an engineering degree in like a real school (one with buildings and poo poo that you sit in to learn) is way way way better than an online degree anything.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

holocaust bloopers posted:

I think what we're saying is that some more effort put towards an engineering degree in like a real school (one with buildings and poo poo that you sit in to learn) is way way way better than an online degree anything.
While I'm a huge fan of attending lectures online... there's a lot of engineering curriculum that just plain isn't practical to do online. Chem and physics labs, for example. I don't see how you can do a 4-year bachelors of science in engineering entirely online.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

DinosaurWarfare posted:

My rationale was more like, "I want to study Engineering in the future but I have a humanities undergrad, and if I'm going to take an rear end-load of undergrad credits to transition then I might as well get another bachelor's w/ABET accreditation to open some more doors for grad school"

Your undergrad engineering degree is the foundation of your graduate degree. Your internships that you do during your summer semesters as an engineer are part of the process that you're expected to complete to get hired as a real engineer. It's kind of like wanting to be a doctor: there's a standard process everyone goes through. Trying to short circuit that route will only give you grief. My good friend that makes hiring decisions at a major corporation will outright not hire any engineer with what he considers a weak undergrad degree.

I spend almost an hour every single day with either a TA or professor getting 1 on 1 help on whatever subject. On top of that, I spend at least 30 minutes a week getting career or academic advice from an adviser. You don't get that from online schools. I should know since I am the forums posterchild for bad online college decisions. I did that route, got an engineering technology degree that I learned nothing from, and am now doing a second bachelors degree the right way.

DinosaurWarfare
Apr 27, 2010
gently caress. Thank you

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Something else I forgot:
You didn't mention the type of engineering degree you wanted so this may not apply.
Almost every civil engineer is required to have a professional engineering license or be working towards one. I'm pretty sure most mechanical engineers will end up needing one. Every electrical engineer that works in power distribution will require one. I think chem-Es need them for any structural work.

Your Professional Engineer licensing exam is an 8 hour practical exam that comes at the heels of working as an Engineer-in-Training for 3-4 years AFTER passing an 8 hour theory exam in your senior year.

Engineering schools usually have review classes for this exam that students are encouraged if not required to go to. I would question the idea of being able to learn the material on your own with no review classes for an 8 hour standardized test that may result in complete unemployability* if you fail.

* A lot of jobs that dont require the PE license still want you to have passed the FE exam just to show you've demonstrated a base level of knowledge.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Vocational Rehab loving owns. They're going to buy me all the barbri stuff which includes a bar prep course and outlines for all my classes.

HClChicken
Aug 15, 2005

Highly trained by the US military at expedient semen processing.
Can I take courses pass or fail and get that sweet money?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

HClChicken posted:

Can I take courses pass or fail and get that sweet money?

Yes and no. You have to explain yourself to your counselor if you gently caress up a lot.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Vasudus posted:

Yes and no. You have to explain yourself to your counselor if you gently caress up a lot.

I think he's meaning Pass/Fail classes as in non-graded. The only mark you get at the end is a P or an F. I'm able to take up to 22 hours of P/F classes at FSU law.

The answer is yes, you can take P/F classes, but failing them will gently caress up your GPA and you probably will have to pay out of pocket to re-take them.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

KetTarma posted:

I spend almost an hour every single day with either a TA or professor getting 1 on 1 help on whatever subject. On top of that, I spend at least 30 minutes a week getting career or academic advice from an adviser. You don't get that from online schools. I should know since I am the forums posterchild for bad online college decisions. I did that route, got an engineering technology degree that I learned nothing from, and am now doing a second bachelors degree the right way.
This is definitely a case where YMMV, as I never really did any of this as an undergrad. In 4 years, I think I can count on one hand the number of times I visited a prof for help and still have most of my fingers left over. Did study sessions with some of my classmates for some particularly difficult classes, but not on a regular basis. I'm actually talking more with my profs and TAs now as a grad student, despite attending online (a legit brick & mortar state university, not a for-profit scam one) and corresponding mostly via email. Thought I was going to have to start driving to campus on a regular basis to meet with my thesis advisor, but discovered he lives like 10 minutes away from me, and it's way more convenient for both of us to just meet for lunch to go over my progress.

dennis4167
Mar 30, 2008
Suppose a veteran served some time on active duty, was honorably discharged before fulfilling his/her initial contract commitment (whether that be 4 years, 6 years, etc.) and 3-4 years later filed a disability claim with the VA and was granted 70% service-connected. Would said veteran;s education benefit eligibility increase from say 40% of chapter 33 Post 9/11 GI Benefits to 100% due to "At least 30 continuous days and discharged due to service-connected disability"?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

dennis4167 posted:

Suppose a veteran served some time on active duty, was honorably discharged before fulfilling his/her initial contract commitment (whether that be 4 years, 6 years, etc.) and 3-4 years later filed a disability claim with the VA and was granted 70% service-connected. Would said veteran;s education benefit eligibility increase from say 40% of chapter 33 Post 9/11 GI Benefits to 100% due to "At least 30 continuous days and discharged due to service-connected disability"?

Yes, go apply.

new friend from school
May 19, 2008

by Azathoth
Question for IL goons:
Any of you using the IL state veteran tuition grant program in conjunction with post 9/11 GIB? How is it working out for you?
I plan on getting out next year (8 years, E-6) and applying to Northwestern's School of Law. I am eligible for my choice of MGIB or post 9/11 GIB, as well as the IL deal. Assuming I can get accepted, how realistic is the notion of being able to pay for it with GIB, YRP, and the IL tuition grant alone?

new friend from school fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Nov 7, 2013

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

safetyStanddown posted:

Question for IL goons:
Any of you using the state benefit in conjunction with post 9/11 GIB? How is it working out for you?
I plan on getting out next year (8 years, E-6) and applying to Northwestern's School of Law. Assuming that I can get accepted, how realistic is the notion of being able to pay for it with GIB, YRP, and the IL tuition grant alone?

That's only a good deal for a select few vets in IL. I forget how it was explained to me, but the Post-9/11 is vastly better for 99% of vets.

Check to see if Northwestern offers the yellow ribbon for the law school and if they have a quota. If they do have YR and you're admitted, well you're golden.

Edit: wait you can't double dip the IVG and the Montgomery or Post 9/11.

The good deal I meant was vets using the Montgomery.

bloops fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Nov 7, 2013

new friend from school
May 19, 2008

by Azathoth
It looks like they do. It's not really clear what they mean by "First Come First Served", but obviously there's some kind of quota. I wish I could figure out who the VA rep is around there and get other details, but I've been stuck on Leatherneck since last year. I guess I'll figure it out when I get back, I still have until mid-September before I go on terminal.

Edit: also loving downtown Chicago BAH is $1740, apparently. :wtf:

new friend from school fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Nov 7, 2013

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

safetyStanddown posted:

It looks like they do. It's not really clear what they mean by "First Come First Served", but obviously there's some kind of quota. I wish I could figure out who the VA rep is around there and get other details, but I've been stuck on Leatherneck since last year. I guess I'll figure it out when I get back, I still have until mid-September before I go on terminal.

Edit: also loving downtown Chicago BAH is $1740, apparently. :wtf:

http://www.northwestern.edu/studentaffairs/dos/resources/student-veterans-resources.html

Contact someone on there. It doesn't look like NU has a really fleshed out veteran's affair office like DePaul does, but someone there can help you out. You should also consider DePaul. Dunno how they are for law but the school is pretty fantastic. DePaul is incredibly welcoming to veterans, faculty is great, students are pretty good (tons of gorgeous undergrad girls), the campuses (Loop and Lincoln Park) are awesome, and obviously you'll be living right in the best neighborhoods the city has to offer. Being a veteran is also a serious boost to enrollment. You'll more than likely get admitted here. I've had no real hang ups using YR and Post-9/11 here, although there has been some fuckery with state and school grants being tuition-restricted. Not much I, or the school, can do about that.

Are you concerned about the 1740/mo? It goes a long way here. I have a really great apartment in Wrigleyville that with bills (electric and gas) and rent comes out to about 1180/mo. With a part-time job and pell grants you'll be more than fine. I imagine the rent is possibly a bit cheaper up near Evanston unless you seriously wanna take the loving red line and bus to campus every day.

bloops fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Nov 7, 2013

new friend from school
May 19, 2008

by Azathoth
Thanks, that's pretty reassuring. I started out living in Skokie in late 2001 when I first came to the US, then moved farther northwest, lived around Mundelein/Vernon Hills/Libertyville until I enlisted straight out of high school in 2006. To me, Chicago is a place where gas is $8/gallon, cigarettes are $8/pack, and anyone who makes less than $2000/month lives either on the South Side or in a homeless shelter.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

safetyStanddown posted:

Thanks, that's pretty reassuring. I started out living in Skokie in late 2001 when I first came to the US, then moved farther northwest, lived around Mundelein/Vernon Hills/Libertyville until I enlisted straight out of high school in 2006. To me, Chicago is a place where gas is $8/gallon, cigarettes are $8/pack, and anyone who makes less than $2000/month lives either on the South Side or in a homeless shelter.

Yea it ain't anything like that. This city is as cheap as you make it. Most colleges offer something called the U-Pass where CTA--bus and train--is free while you're in a regular class session so for DePaul that would be the Autumn, Winter, and Spring quarters, but not Summer quarter or December intercession. I do just fine out here with the Post-9/11, a part-time job and what meager amount the Pell Grant netted me my first year in school. Just plan for the summer and holiday breaks. If you have any other questions specific to DePaul or being a student vet in Chicago, PM me.

Sacrilage
Feb 11, 2012

It will burn the eyes.

safetyStanddown posted:

If you have questions about NU, shoot me a PM; I went there on the military's dime, and while they are still trying to get their VA poo poo together, they are getting better about it. The town's not cheap, but it's doable with the nice BAH they give you.

new friend from school
May 19, 2008

by Azathoth
Tried, but it says you can't receive PMs. Definitely still interested. I'll update this with an e-mail address soon; I don't have a throwaway one handy and I don't want my regular ones floating around.

new friend from school fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Nov 12, 2013

Sacrilage
Feb 11, 2012

It will burn the eyes.
Should be able to now.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:
If you're doing Voc Rehab, can you switch back to ch. 33 if you wanted to? Also, do you still get the kicker for BAH purposes if you did Army/Navy college fund like you do with ch 33?

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

I know most of the talk here concerns the GI Bill and going to school while you're out of the military, but I was wondering if any of you had any experience of going/getting credidation while you were in. I'm Navy, went to Psych Tech school in San Antonio, and found out that through the Navy COOL program I can test for the certifications to be a part of the National Psychiatric Technician Association, and I (along with what appears to be the entirety of the chain of command here) have no idea what to do to be a certified Level 1 Psychiatric Technician, let alone getting the advanced certification I want to get to be a Level 2 before I get out of the Navy. My chain doesn't know primarily because 1) the leading psych tech isn't looking to get certified because he has other plans and 2) it's just me and him, with no other resource in the chain of command enlisted wise even knowing how to get this done. The command education people just know the websites, and when I look at the local schools that have programs, they're just trying to enroll me to do the whole degree setting without taking into account that I'm already practicing what they're teaching, both administratively and as far as patient care goes.

Any of you guys, Navy or Air Force, know where I could start in getting the ball rolling to get certified while I'm still in so I don't have to use my GI Bill? I'm looking to use my benefits once I get out to get a degree in Chemistry, want to get this certification just to have a part-time job while I'm going through school/just in case I knock someone up and have to pay child support.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

front wing flexing posted:

If you're doing Voc Rehab, can you switch back to ch. 33 if you wanted to? Also, do you still get the kicker for BAH purposes if you did Army/Navy college fund like you do with ch 33?

Did anyone have any info on this? I appreciate it.

NIGGER DEATH TURBO
Jul 4, 2013

by Lowtax

front wing flexing posted:

Did anyone have any info on this? I appreciate it.

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW
Hello, entitled scum, can you help me scam more money and benefits from the VA due to Picture Taking Sadness Disorder? (PTSD)

Chemystery
Sep 11, 2011

Maybe this world is another planet's hell...

Pandasmores posted:

I'm looking to use my benefits once I get out to get a degree in Chemistry, want to get this certification just to have a part-time job while I'm going through school/just in case I knock someone up and have to pay child support.

As someone with a degree in chemistry, I can tell you that you will be best served by doing some kind of work study program at your University/College. When I was in undergrad I worked in the library and basically got paid to sit on my rear end and study whilst occasionally organizing books. Year 1 and 2 of a chem degree is cake, but Physical chem and inorganic chem (with upper division labs lasting 8 hours...well...you won't have time for work and school).

Also, if you are even remotely thinking of graduate school, research should be a big focus. Some companies do internships and take students with just general chemistry. Pharma firms hire interns/students and pay decent but require Ochem. I made a couple thousand my senior year via undergraduate fellowships. However, I was working in a research group and my Professor arrange that.

scavok
Feb 22, 2005

Chemystery posted:

As someone with a degree in chemistry, I can tell you that you will be best served by doing some kind of work study program at your University/College. When I was in undergrad I worked in the library and basically got paid to sit on my rear end and study whilst occasionally organizing books. Year 1 and 2 of a chem degree is cake, but Physical chem and inorganic chem (with upper division labs lasting 8 hours...well...you won't have time for work and school).

Also, if you are even remotely thinking of graduate school, research should be a big focus. Some companies do internships and take students with just general chemistry. Pharma firms hire interns/students and pay decent but require Ochem. I made a couple thousand my senior year via undergraduate fellowships. However, I was working in a research group and my Professor arrange that.

Kind of drifting offtopic, but I enjoyed my General Chem 1 and 2 classes a lot and considered a minor in chemistry. The next chemisty class I took was Inorganic Chemistry. I had to drop it after a month where I spent 90% of my time on the class and barely held a D. It killed all of the interest I had in the science. General Chemistry II and some math were the only prerequisites. Was I pretty much set up for failure where someone taking Inorganic Chemistry would normally have taken a year of Organic Chemistry first, or would students generally be able to succeed in that topic with only a general chemistry background?

RonJeremysBalzac
Jul 29, 2004
Welp, got selected for the Air Force Health Professions Scholarship Program (3 years). Guess it's time to start running again. I can only wonder how much money the government has spent on me. There was the TS, the post 9/11 GI bill, and now 3 out of 4 years of private dental school.

Chemystery
Sep 11, 2011

Maybe this world is another planet's hell...

scavok posted:

Kind of drifting offtopic, but I enjoyed my General Chem 1 and 2 classes a lot and considered a minor in chemistry. The next chemisty class I took was Inorganic Chemistry. I had to drop it after a month where I spent 90% of my time on the class and barely held a D. It killed all of the interest I had in the science. General Chemistry II and some math were the only prerequisites. Was I pretty much set up for failure where someone taking Inorganic Chemistry would normally have taken a year of Organic Chemistry first, or would students generally be able to succeed in that topic with only a general chemistry background?

The molecular orbital theory of Organic chemistry would have helped with breaking down bonding and anti-bonding MO's from AO's, but really, Inorganic is a whole different beast. X and L type ligands, 18 electron valences, packing theory, diffraction, and D block in general makes the cross-over from organic to inorganic touchy at best. Organo-metallic is another beast in itself, but I will say it straight up...I was a synthetic organic dude (did research in syn org and went to grad school for syn chem) and the metal organo-catalysis stuff was beyond my head. I mean, I knew enough of the methodology to get by and utilize the catalysts, but it was always the inorganic groups that pioneered the synthesis and reactivity of organo-mellatlics.

I hate Inorganic Chemistry. Long labs, gently caress glove boxes, over the top Schlenk technique, and general air sensitivity of most reactions ruined that poo poo for me. I love chemistry only for organic chemistry. And truth be told, organic chemistry really is a realm of its own. I hated general chemistry, physical chemistry, chemical biology and analytical chemistry with a passion. I dreaded going to those labs and classes. But I majored in chemistry simply because I fell in love with organic chemistry. To this day, it brings a smile on my face and will always be a comforting, blissful solace within my soul.

Shuffleboard Shootout
Dec 26, 2006

Tsoukawhat?
Statement redacted. Not EMS thread. Smoke all weeds and have all beers. Civ things :tokes: (while I'm here, passed all fall courses!)

Shuffleboard Shootout fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Dec 8, 2013

Sacrilage
Feb 11, 2012

It will burn the eyes.

Badgers posted:

(while I'm here, passed all fall courses!)

:cheers:

App13
Dec 31, 2011

Just got signed up for the spring semester at a community college (registration was closed everywhere else...) I am unreasonably excited to go to college for the first time.

Anything I should know about going to a CC for a year vs. a traditional 4 year?

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Make 100% sure your credits will transfer

Dual enrolling sucks fyi.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

App13 posted:

Just got signed up for the spring semester at a community college (registration was closed everywhere else...) I am unreasonably excited to go to college for the first time.

Don't discredit the professors because they teach at a CC. They're just as good and probably also teach at four year schools.

There will be a lot of stupid students though. Ignore the idiots and just be quiet and get your studies done.

gleep gloop fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Dec 13, 2013

poop dollar
Jun 3, 2012

App13 posted:

Keep in mind that most CC's are feeder schools for 4 year state schools, so if your plan is to transfer into a state school, you should be good, but it would be a good idea to get in touch with the school you eventually want to go to and make sure the classes you're signed up for will transfer toward the program you're interested in at the 4 year.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Got my eligibility letter for the spring semester today. I have a question about this:

Does this mean that after the upcoming semester I still have 2 months? Because if so I will be extremely happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NIGGER DEATH TURBO
Jul 4, 2013

by Lowtax

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Got my eligibility letter for the spring semester today. I have a question about this:

Does this mean that after the upcoming semester I still have 2 months? Because if so I will be extremely happy.

look at the pages after where it lists what semesters you were certified for if it lists your current semester in there as having been certified already then yeah you should be good

• Locked thread