Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fusillade
Mar 31, 2012

...and her

BIG FAT BASS
Boo hoo, our green terror (well, more like a gold saum, Aequidens rivulatus) Nick Fury is dead. :(

He was already old and gnarly when we first got him, blind in one eye (hence the name). A combination of even older age and a cooking aquarium after our female jag tossed the temperature probe out of the water (AGAIN). drat lady, stop redecorating.

I will miss him being territorial over his favorite rock. :( I am happy that I was able to give him a rocking home and get him to grow to even more BEASTLY proportion, but still, boo hoo.

PS: The talk of freshwater bristleworms is neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Fusillade posted:

Boo hoo, our green terror (well, more like a gold saum, Aequidens rivulatus) Nick Fury is dead. :(

He was already old and gnarly when we first got him, blind in one eye (hence the name). A combination of even older age and a cooking aquarium after our female jag tossed the temperature probe out of the water (AGAIN). drat lady, stop redecorating.

I will miss him being territorial over his favorite rock. :( I am happy that I was able to give him a rocking home and get him to grow to even more BEASTLY proportion, but still, boo hoo.

PS: The talk of freshwater bristleworms is neat.

What a pretty fish! Shame about his demise was not just old age, but from a runaway heater. Would one of these help hold the probe in place perhaps?
http://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-MagClip-Magnetic-Suction/dp/B000R9A5DG/

I picked up two to hold the giant temp probe that came with my apex. It feels like there is a higher chance of me pulling the cord out of the probe than moving it otherwise.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Well that didnt go very well. Decided to try replace the sponge prefilter on my hob intake with a pantyhose one.

Half an hour after installation the waterflow is a trickle as it clogged right up.

Jekub
Jul 21, 2006

April, May, June, July and August fool
We added some more fish to our tank yesterday, very exciting!

Three boesemani rainbow fish

These two have been fighting each other all morning, two males I guess? I'm a bit worried about them hurting each other at the moment, they are not interested in the other smaller Boesemani or any of the other fish, just each other. The largest Zebra Danio keeps trying to join in for some reason. Should I consider taking one back? I've no idea how best to manage this.

Quick edit, further reading suggest they may be courting? Not exactly romantic.

We also picked up three of these the name of which I forgot to make a note of.

All being happy and peaceful, no problems. The orange colouring on the middle one wasn't there yesterday.

Jekub fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Nov 24, 2013

Fusillade
Mar 31, 2012

...and her

BIG FAT BASS

JuffoWup posted:

I picked up two to hold the giant temp probe that came with my apex. It feels like there is a higher chance of me pulling the cord out of the probe than moving it otherwise.

I am bummed about it too! It's (partly) preventable and I generally have much better husbandry practices. I will look into these particular suction cups though since it seems they're a bit different from what I normally use -- how thick is the glass/acrylic that you're using them on? I'm going to need magnets that work through 3/4" of acrylic -- so I'll see if 'industrial strength' will cut it. I've tried a LOT of things -- multiple suction cups, lashing the control box for the temp probe to the top of the tank, etc.

Everyone else is ticking along great in the tanks otherwise!

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

My titan engine can kick your titan engine's ass.

Fusillade posted:

I am bummed about it too! It's (partly) preventable and I generally have much better husbandry practices. I will look into these particular suction cups though since it seems they're a bit different from what I normally use -- how thick is the glass/acrylic that you're using them on? I'm going to need magnets that work through 3/4" of acrylic -- so I'll see if 'industrial strength' will cut it. I've tried a LOT of things -- multiple suction cups, lashing the control box for the temp probe to the top of the tank, etc.

Everyone else is ticking along great in the tanks otherwise!

Also try looking for neodymium magnets. Be careful, though... they'll scratch acrylic like nobody's business.

Whale Cancer
Jun 25, 2004

That was a good looking gt, very nice fins. I use a ranco temp controller and wrap the probe wire once around the output tube and stuff it behind the output so that cant happen.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
Is attaching the probe to the intake tube not an option?

Fusillade
Mar 31, 2012

...and her

BIG FAT BASS
Not in this particular case, no. The aquarium is plumbed with two corner overflows. Which suddenly makes me :negative: because I realize the overflows are sequestered from :killdozer: jaguar cichlids. Oh god, AFK. Why haven't I thought of this beforrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre?!

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

Fusillade posted:

Not in this particular case, no. The aquarium is plumbed with two corner overflows. Which suddenly makes me :negative: because I realize the overflows are sequestered from :killdozer: jaguar cichlids. Oh god, AFK. Why haven't I thought of this beforrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre?!

Umm, you are welcome.

Whale Cancer
Jun 25, 2004

Wish my tank was big enough to keep Jags. SA cichlids are my favorite. One day I'll have a tank big enough to keep Jags and Dovii and Umbee.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I hear Jaguar Cichlids are tasty.

I bought a CO2 tank from a guy in Seoul. He said it was full. 400psi. FFFFFFUCK. THAT. GUY. :rant:

kaosAG
Oct 14, 2005

Whale Cancer posted:

Wish my tank was big enough to keep Jags. SA cichlids are my favorite. One day I'll have a tank big enough to keep Jags and Dovii and Umbee.

To nitpick a little bit, none of the above are actually SA cichlids, they're all Central American. It's really hilarious when you run into someone who things oscars are totally :black101: aggro monsters and introduce them to the psychopathic violence that is life as CA cichlids know it. I mean, even a 4" convict is more than a match for a full-grown oscar.

Whale Cancer
Jun 25, 2004

kaosAG posted:

To nitpick a little bit, none of the above are actually SA cichlids, they're all Central American. It's really hilarious when you run into someone who things oscars are totally :black101: aggro monsters and introduce them to the psychopathic violence that is life as CA cichlids know it. I mean, even a 4" convict is more than a match for a full-grown oscar.

I just lump all new world stuff into SA, too much :effort: sometimes to type SA/CA.

Oscars are just big hungry goofs. The 2 meanest fish I have ever had were a con and my last red devil. I've kept a lot of con's they're probably by favorite fish to keep. My issue is I love having a spawning pair and I don't have a way to get rid of the fry. I need a 300 gallon full of monsters before I do the breeding con thing again.

Fusillade
Mar 31, 2012

...and her

BIG FAT BASS

Eifert Posting posted:

I hear Jaguar Cichlids are tasty.

They are! I have not tried it myself, but I do know that guapotes are regularly fished and eaten in their native waters. Peacock bass are also very popular sport and food fish in the Amazon. I actually never got on the convict train, haha. If I wanted live feeders, I suppose they'd be useful, but I vastly prefer having at least two good quality staple prepared foods for my fish.

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread

Neitherman posted:

I was down in Tucson for the weekend and since Cowslip's Warren mentioned the presence of an awesome freshwater store there in the last thread I stopped in for a peek before we left. Turns out they had the most beautiful tank setups I had ever seen and the fabled pea puffers I have been trying to find for the past few weeks. I came home with three of the little guys and knowledge of another great aquarium store within driving distance.

This post is from a bit ago, but I wanted to also recommend this store to any goons near Tucson. The aquascapes in the store are very impressive, and the owner is incredibly helpful. He also takes some great photos: https://m.facebook.com/pages/Arizon...ics.com%2F&_rdr

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Home visiting family here, and I took a little stroll behind my parent's house to the swamp in the back field. Because I'm some kind of loon, I decided it was a good time to pull some plants up and take them with me. Sorry for the crappy quality pics but my phone is kinda terrible and it's all I have.

Pretty sure this is bladderwort of some kind. Maybe an interesting floater to use?

Some kind of moss. This was growing on top of the earthen dam that made the swamp, so I'm hoping that means it can grow well submerged.

A climbing fern. Going to try this out in my planted HOB. Maybe it'll work, maybe it won't.

I've got a fallow tank I can toss the bladderwort into and nuke hard to clean it up. Going to do a light bleach bath first of course, and then just hit it with everything I can to kill the microorganisms and various larvae from whatever's in that swamp. For the moss I think I'll re-doing my 6 gallon soon and want to do the dry start, to give the moss a head start for when I add some shrimp buddies.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Y'all think a Fugeray planted + 18" or a Finnex RAY2 DSwould be enough for a 45x45X45 cm planted tank needing medium light? This is with ferts and a full, pressurized CO2 setup.

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Dec 2, 2013

The Prismatic Goth
May 31, 2001

Help, I think my betta is dying :(

I have had it since June and it was doing well in the two gallon drum bowl until about a month ago when the temperature dropped. It was not eating the pellets I dropped in, which led to tons of organic scum build up in the bowl. I did full water change (I normally do 50% change once a week) and scrubbed out everything, and I got a small heater hoping that it would help. I got some freeze dried grub which it ate quite happily, all seemed well.

That was 2 weeks ago. A few days ago it stopped eating again. Pellets, bloodworm, grub, nothing. It swims up to the food, then swims away. This morning it started to kind of lean to one side when it's not swimming so I'm starting to worry. It's not sluggish at all though, and looks otherwise fine. I'm at a lost to what might be the problem.

Any advice?

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
How often are your water changes also do you have a filter.

durrneez
Feb 20, 2013

I like fish. I like to eat fish. I like to brush fish with a fish hairbrush. Do you like fish too?
Do you have live plants?

dirtycajun
Aug 27, 2004

SUCKING DICKS AND SQUEEZING TITTIES
So I have to be out of my apartment and into my new one by Jan. 1. Any suggestions on how to move this tank without killing everything in it?

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Anyone here seen these new LED fixtures from Current USA? My local store had one on a tank today and I was really impressed with it. The thing has red, green, blue, and white LEDS and they can all be set independently of each other. The box said 6500k on it which I assume only refers to whites rather than the colors, so it should be good for plants depending on your setup.

What really got me was just how far this thing went with customization. Want to terrorize your fish and put them into a pure red-lit hellscape? You can do it with this fixture. Want the lights to brighten and lessen intermittently, as if clouds were rolling by? There's settings for that. Want to make your fish that Thor's coming to visit with a fake thunder storm? Push a button.

The catch is of course that it seems a little light in the PAR value are, but on a smaller tank they should do pretty well, maybe a little bit better because they really pull off full spectrum? I dunno, but I think I'm going go get one for my shrimp tank project and find out.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

dirtycajun posted:

So I have to be out of my apartment and into my new one by Jan. 1. Any suggestions on how to move this tank without killing everything in it?

How long is the trip to your new apartment, what size is your old tank and how many fish? Quite a few people in here have moved with fish successfully by getting one of those big plastic storage tubs, putting a battery powered filter/air pump in it for the trip.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Shakenbaker posted:

Anyone here seen these new LED fixtures from Current USA? My local store had one on a tank today and I was really impressed with it. The thing has red, green, blue, and white LEDS and they can all be set independently of each other. The box said 6500k on it which I assume only refers to whites rather than the colors, so it should be good for plants depending on your setup.

What really got me was just how far this thing went with customization. Want to terrorize your fish and put them into a pure red-lit hellscape? You can do it with this fixture. Want the lights to brighten and lessen intermittently, as if clouds were rolling by? There's settings for that. Want to make your fish that Thor's coming to visit with a fake thunder storm? Push a button.

The catch is of course that it seems a little light in the PAR value are, but on a smaller tank they should do pretty well, maybe a little bit better because they really pull off full spectrum? I dunno, but I think I'm going go get one for my shrimp tank project and find out.

Hah, I've been eyeing this line from buildmyled. Mainly interested because I can tap in the apex to control dimming. However, I'm holding out since I just got a fugeray not 6 months ago. If I did grab one, it would most likely be the iwugami one. The dutch might look better in my tank with the red in the background, but the green just looks terrible in the comparison shot.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I've got a Fugeray on one my 75, and I've been wondering if I should double up on them. I can churn out vals without much problem, but they do grow long in that tank. Was thinking about getting the Fugeray+ with the red LEDs but if the Current one does well on my shrimp tank I may just get a four footer for the 75 as well to run alongside it. Would still be less draw than a four light T5HO setup for that size, at least.

Those from buildmyled definitely look much nicer, though. Personally I liked the Dutch one more, because the Iwagumi just made things look a little too monochromatic for me but my taste may questionable. Are you after more growth, or mainly trying to get your tank to "pop" a bit more?

dirtycajun
Aug 27, 2004

It isn't far it just more of a logistical nightmare. Like, do I bring the 45 gallons of water with me or what?

45 gallon tank, 9 glo tetras, 4 gold rams, unknown number of Otto's. 6 blocks. One Volvo.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Shakenbaker posted:

Yeah, I've got a Fugeray on one my 75, and I've been wondering if I should double up on them. I can churn out vals without much problem, but they do grow long in that tank. Was thinking about getting the Fugeray+ with the red LEDs but if the Current one does well on my shrimp tank I may just get a four footer for the 75 as well to run alongside it. Would still be less draw than a four light T5HO setup for that size, at least.

Those from buildmyled definitely look much nicer, though. Personally I liked the Dutch one more, because the Iwagumi just made things look a little too monochromatic for me but my taste may questionable. Are you after more growth, or mainly trying to get your tank to "pop" a bit more?

Mostly the dimmable feature that my fuge doesn't have. I picked up an apex controller a short bit back to help handle the tank due to my work schedule (even more so now with christmas rush going on). The fuge is pulling enough light now for my tank that I have no problems with plant growth.

When I am at home, it is both funny and sad watching my fish dart about when the lights first come on. So having a dimmable light that my apex can control would be ideal. I could extend the lighting time by an hour or so as I have it ramp up from 0% to 100% over an hour's time. Same in reverse as well.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

dirtycajun posted:

It isn't far it just more of a logistical nightmare. Like, do I bring the 45 gallons of water with me or what?

45 gallon tank, 9 glo tetras, 4 gold rams, unknown number of Otto's. 6 blocks. One Volvo.

I moved a 30 gallon 15 minutes down the road ina Jetta. I just lowered the water to about 3 inches and loaded it into the back seat with a towel drapped across it and my wife holding it steady from the front on turns.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

dirtycajun posted:

I would think just keeping your filter media and substrate would be enough to reestablish the tank safely. One or two minnow buckets with air pumps would be enough to move the fish. That would also leave you with 5-10 gallons of the tank water.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

omnibobb posted:

I moved a 30 gallon 15 minutes down the road ina Jetta. I just lowered the water to about 3 inches and loaded it into the back seat with a towel drapped across it and my wife holding it steady from the front on turns.

Only problem I see is the substrate sloshing around getting disturbed and when that happens you can kiss everything in the tank goodbye. You are going to cause all hell to break loose, your ammonia will mostly likely spike and from that point on things will get out of control. Disturbing the substrate and the mulm is a bad, bad thing. Unless of course it is routinely vacuumed and tended to very well then nevermind but honestly I would not risk it. Break the tank down, move the fish into five gallon buckets and transport them.

What slugworth said is correct, keeping the filter media in some of the water so the beneficial bacteria does not die should suffice to reestablish the new tank. But the substrate though may be a bad idea. Once you move the fish and break it down, disturb the sub and you will see what I mean.. it's loving filth x100.

demonR6 fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Dec 8, 2013

dirtycajun
Aug 27, 2004

The tank is only s few months old, maybe I vacuum the substrate while removing water? I mean, its a crap ton of that expensive good for plants iron substrate..

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

JuffoWup posted:

Mostly the dimmable feature that my fuge doesn't have. I picked up an apex controller a short bit back to help handle the tank due to my work schedule (even more so now with christmas rush going on). The fuge is pulling enough light now for my tank that I have no problems with plant growth.

When I am at home, it is both funny and sad watching my fish dart about when the lights first come on. So having a dimmable light that my apex can control would be ideal. I could extend the lighting time by an hour or so as I have it ramp up from 0% to 100% over an hour's time. Same in reverse as well.

Ahhhh, I can understand wanting to spare your fish some panic. Would maybe just a single cheap string of LEDs be enough to ease your mind? I don't know much about them but if you're just looking for something to make it easier on your fish that could be a cheaper option for you. Now that I think about it I don't know if they'd come or with with dimmers though. Hrm.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

dirtycajun posted:

The tank is only s few months old, maybe I vacuum the substrate while removing water? I mean, its a crap ton of that expensive good for plants iron substrate..
Definitely vacuum first. As far as an ammonia spike from disturbing the substrate, perhaps a good double dose of prime when the new tank is filled? It is marketed as an ammonia neutralizer. Anything that seeps out from the substrate after that would get taken care of by the bio filter. This is just speculation, but I think it's fairly logical.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Shakenbaker posted:

Ahhhh, I can understand wanting to spare your fish some panic. Would maybe just a single cheap string of LEDs be enough to ease your mind? I don't know much about them but if you're just looking for something to make it easier on your fish that could be a cheaper option for you. Now that I think about it I don't know if they'd come or with with dimmers though. Hrm.

The hard part is finding a freshwater light system that the apex controller can link to for dimming. Apex is generally used in a saltwater enviroment, so most of the lights supported are 10k+ ones designed for reef use. THey are also amazingly costly and look terrible if not hidden under a hood (what reef aquarium doesn't have a giant wooden canopy and matching stand).

No worries though, it is just something I'm eyeing. I'd also have to spend money on the apex dimmer module as well. Not exactly a combo I'm going to sink now. Perhaps in a year or so I'll look into it. These leds are going strong for now and by then, newer leds might be around that provide higher par value without changing much in size.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

When I moved my 20 gallon across town I wound up going to lowes and picking up a few of their 5 gallon plastic paint cans, like these ones http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?partNumber=315728-84240-PN0039

The lids are pretty water tight, so I put the gravel into a few buckets, and filled the rest with water from the tank + the fish. Kept about half the water, threw out the rest. Much easier to move a glass tank around when it doesn't have 30 pounds of gravel sitting in it, and 5 gallons of water can kept the fish ok for about 4 hours or so before I had the tank set back up to move them into.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong
Had pretty much the worst situation possible, the night before my honeymoon my filter broke. I managed to piece it back together and got it working, I thought. I came back and the water was cloudy and smelled rancid, like stale swamp water. I have hooked up a new filter, and been doing water changes, but the water still smells. Anyone deal with this before? Curious what is causing the smell, I presume when the new filter gets up and running the water will get back to normal, but it is still a cloudy white-brown color, has about 2-3 inches viability.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Possibly some weird bacterial infection. Mine cleared up with a salt treatment (1 tablespoon rock salt to a 10 gallon tank) in a few days. If it's not that though, I'm really not sure. Symptoms sound the same. Cloudy, funky water.

My betta's eyesight is getting terrible. The metallic scaling is covering a lot of his eyes and he's having seeing food floating in front of him. :( I'm worried because I'm heading home for xmas and wont be around to feed him. I've got a timer feeder and a feeder gel block I can use. Not sure how well he'll do without me supervising his eating, and he relies on me approaching to start looking for food.

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Dec 9, 2013

Cyn Greythorne
Oct 11, 2013
I shall soon be setting up a new tank. I want a breeder tank because of their width and lower depth. The store sells many 40 gal breeders, but I can get a 50 gal breeder for about twice as much money.

Is the extra ten gallons worth the extra money?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

durrneez
Feb 20, 2013

I like fish. I like to eat fish. I like to brush fish with a fish hairbrush. Do you like fish too?

SynthOrange posted:

Possibly some weird bacterial infection. Mine cleared up with a salt treatment (1 tablespoon rock salt to a 10 gallon tank) in a few days. If it's not that though, I'm really not sure. Symptoms sound the same. Cloudy, funky water.

My betta's eyesight is getting terrible. The metallic scaling is covering a lot of his eyes and he's having seeing food floating in front of him. :( I'm worried because I'm heading home for xmas and wont be around to feed him. I've got a timer feeder and a feeder gel block I can use. Not sure how well he'll do without me supervising his eating, and he relies on me approaching to start looking for food.

How long will you be away for? I've heard bettas going ~2 weeks before starving to death and I typically only feed mine every few days.