Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
dataisplural
Oct 27, 2013

a stream of poo and urine
God :drat: McHale are you ever edgy taking scripted clever off-the-cuff pot shots at the people who paid you to do this Spike corporate overlords

Way to bite the hand that feeds, man!! :2bong:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
If it's scripted, aren't they basically asking him to say those things though, to give the illusion of him not being just a mouthpiece for whatever PR bullshit they want him to say?

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Maybe he alternated between groaning through teleprompter lines and improvising his own snippy questions.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Supercar Gautier posted:

Maybe he alternated between groaning through teleprompter lines and improvising his own snippy questions.

I get the impression that he went off script quite a bit in those recap clips. Any time the nerd with him gets a deer in the headlights look right after McHale says something offbeat, it's probably because the next line on the teleprompter doesn't work any more.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Alright goons, what's the deal with the WiiU these days. Should I get one or is it a barren wasteland? I'm into the Monster Hunter title and probably Wind Waker and the Mario titles. Is there anything else to keep an eye out for?

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Novum posted:

Alright goons, what's the deal with the WiiU these days. Should I get one or is it a barren wasteland? I'm into the Monster Hunter title and probably Wind Waker and the Mario titles. Is there anything else to keep an eye out for?

yes get it

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

Novum posted:

Wonderful 101, Rayman Legends, Sonic Lost World (mileage with vary on this one), Lego City, Nintendoland, ZombiiU. Upcoming stuff includes Bayonetta 2, Smash Bros, Mario Kart, and Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze. Check the OP for more info on the list.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Novum posted:

Wonderful 101 -- Some folks love it, some folks hate it, and I can't blame them for doing so. Like Platinum/Clover's other games it's a skill-centric beat-em-up and that's not everybody's cup of tea. There's a demo in the Wii U store.

Sonic Lost World -- I tried the demo and wasn't impressed, though I might have still gotten it if Mario 3D World wasn't out to scratch that platformer itch.

Pikmin 3 -- Another "some people love this kind of game some hate it" game. I haven't tried it.

Dr VideoGames 0.299
Feb 15, 2007

i really think you're overestimating how much
i love having dog shit smushed all over my face
I think Mighty Switch Force is a pretty okay game too.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Astro Nut posted:

Wonderful 101, Rayman Legends, Sonic Lost World (mileage with vary on this one), Lego City, Nintendoland, ZombiiU. Upcoming stuff includes Bayonetta 2, Smash Bros, Mario Kart, and Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze. Check the OP for more info on the list.

Definitely get Rayman Legends, but try the demo for Wonderful 101 before buying. I, for one, love it to bits, but it definitely is not for everyone. ZombiU also has a demo, but it's got my vote. It definitely feels a lot more tense and atmospheric than other so-called survival shooters.

Also, if you get anything on the eshop, get Earthbound.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Novum posted:

Exclusives? The recommended ones are

Zombi U
Pikmin 3
The Wonderful 101
Nintendo Land
Lego City Undercover
Batman Arkham City Armoured Edition

Non-exclusives:
Sonic and All Stars Racing Transformed
Rayman Legends
Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag
Little Inferno

In the near future:
Donkey Kong Country Tropical freeze
Mario Kart 8
Super Smash Bros. 4 Wii U
Bayonetta 2

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Nickoten posted:

If it's scripted, aren't they basically asking him to say those things though, to give the illusion of him not being just a mouthpiece for whatever PR bullshit they want him to say?
Like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0uBqg0Vo6A

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Right on, I forgot about the new Rayman game, thanks goons.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
Joel McHale in the Nintendo commercial: says everything with conviction
Joel McHale on VGX: says everything like he doesn't give a poo poo

That's how you can tell which is acting and which is not. He's Winger for 3DS. He's a guy pointing out how much of a shill for Microsoft that Geoff is on VGX.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Why do people keep asking Joel McHale to promote video games?

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Astro7x posted:

I have no idea who he is or why he would be someone you'd want to promote your product.

gameface
Nov 23, 2007

Motto posted:

Can't find it, but just watch this and imagine that it's three hours long.
-video was here-

"This video contains content from Viacom, who has blocked it on copyright grounds." I guess that's a blessing in disguise.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Astro7x posted:

Because he's popular with the demographic that most videogame companies are trying to hit.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

SatansBestBuddy posted:

I have no idea who he is or why he would be someone you'd want to promote your product.

He's the funny man from The Soup who plays the lead on nerd favorite sitcom "Community"

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
Joel McHale was literally the only good part of the VGXs and gave the whole thing exactly the amount of respect it deserved

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

Detective No. 27 posted:

"I like to sit on the toilet backwards and eat while I poop." Idiocracy is now.

It's also ripped directly from a Tosh joke.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
and an entire episode of south park

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
I think McHale is great because he cares as much as the dumb poo poo he's there to push as I do.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Joel McHale was the best part of what little of the show I actually saw (that embarrassing moments video) and also he's handsome.

Wizardryo
Jul 23, 2002

"Finally! A deep throat to call my own!"
Am I mistaking it for another game, or was Rayman Legends super cheap a few weeks ago and now is back to its $60 original value? Was going to pick it up for my nephew and :airquote:volunteer:airquote: to play through the game with him, but I'd rather get two different games for him if it only comes out to be $10-20 more. More bang for my buck, since he often plays games for a few days before shoving it in a drawer somewhere and going back to playing Super Mario Strikers.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

Wizardryo posted:

Am I mistaking it for another game, or was Rayman Legends super cheap a few weeks ago and now is back to its $60 original value? Was going to pick it up for my nephew and :airquote:volunteer:airquote: to play through the game with him, but I'd rather get two different games for him if it only comes out to be $10-20 more. More bang for my buck, since he often plays games for a few days before shoving it in a drawer somewhere and going back to playing Super Mario Strikers.

I saw it for $30 at GameStop last week. It's also $30 at Target right now.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
If you're in Australia, EB Games is running their "Monday Madness" sale on the website today. Most of it's the usual "almost as cheap as the UK, we're not ripping you off for once" prices, but ZombiU is $20 new and Rayman Legends is $30 for anyone wanting either.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

I've collected all of the green stars, stamps, and hit the flagpole for Worlds 1-8 in Super Mario 3D World. I know there's more content beyond the 8th world, how do I get to it?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Escape Goat posted:

I've collected all of the green stars, stamps, and hit the flagpole for Worlds 1-8 in Super Mario 3D World. I know there's more content beyond the 8th world, how do I get to it?

Inspect the rock in world 1 to get to Star Road, clear Star Road to unlock Mushroom, then Flower Road.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Escape Goat posted:

Go to the map. Go to world 1. Walk towards the fairies floating in formation, straight ahead.

I completely missed it too.

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

There's a post credits scene in 3D World that points out where you go to find more content.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
I know it's pretty minor, but I really like the Wintery e-shop music right now :3:

dataisplural
Oct 27, 2013

a stream of poo and urine
VGX 2013: Geoff Keighly's stupid rear end loving sneakers

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Wizardryo posted:

I got it for $25 on Amazon on November 28th. It will probably go back down in price eventually... set a price alert on Amazon with Lightning Drops or CamelCamelCamel

njsykora posted:

Inspect the rock in world 1 to get to Star Road, clear Star Road to unlock Mushroom, then Flower Road.

I figured there were more worlds, but the hell...? I am assuming they point that poo poo out to you. I completely cleared World 1-1 so I haven't had a reason to go back to it.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Astro7x posted:

I figured there were more worlds, but the hell...? I am assuming they point that poo poo out to you. I completely cleared World 1-1 so I haven't had a reason to go back to it.

weird bleep posted:

There's a post credits scene in 3D World that points out where you go to find more content.

So yeah, they do point it out.

I'd say almost a third of the game is post credits, too, it's pretty awesome.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Well that will teach me for not caring about the unskipable credits that you can't control and doing something on my computer I guess?

I knew there was more content, I just figured I needed to get all the green stars or something like that.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

When you beat the final level, the game saves and restarts you right in front of the area where the pixies build the rocket. It's kind of hard to miss.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Wal-Mart has the Wii U Pro Controller for $41 free shipping right now. I snagged one to hopefully not suck so bad at CoD Ghosts.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Astro7x posted:

Well that will teach me for not caring about the unskipable credits that you can't control and doing something on my computer I guess?

I knew there was more content, I just figured I needed to get all the green stars or something like that.

Nah you just had to look at the screen, go figure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB
What's with the empty box on the side of the screen in 3D World where the collectibles are listed? You can see it in this screen here:

• Locked thread