Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Doltos posted:

Many things are wrong with Boyd but if you want to discuss that instead of saying oh It's Doltos then I'm willing to do that instead of being passive aggressive about it.

It just seemed pretty dismissive while saying you'd be OK with McCarron going to some QB-needy team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

bhsman posted:

It just seemed pretty dismissive while saying you'd be OK with McCarron going to some QB-needy team.

Eh that's why I like to ask people to explain their opinions instead of jumping on them.

Boyd has a variety of issues that McCarron doesn't. He makes dumb, dumb decisions constantly. His coaching staff has been on record saying that he has trouble with communicating the calls from the sideline. He's not as bad as Hundley or Morris with dropping his eyes, but he does it often. He knows he's fast and he throws on the run well, which keeps him from doing simple things like working the pocket or going through progressions. This problem is exacerbated by his height.

McCarron does not have the arm strength and he's not as fast, but he's a capable athlete with a decent arm. More importantly, he is an accomplished starter in a tough conference. He manages the ball well, has a prototypical QB build, rarely turns it over, has superb accuracy, and only looked bad so far against Mississippi State this year.

That's kind of why I think McCarron would be good in the NFL while Boyd wouldn't.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
My problem with McCarron, though, is that all we're seeing from him athletically now is all we can expect to see from him later. He has poor deep ball accuracy and arm strength and is never asked to put the game on his shoulders before the defense or the running game. He plays with the best team in the league and doesn't seem to take advantage of it.

On the other hand Boyd has all the physical tools to succeed, it might just be a matter of coaching up. One of those is far more likely to get you a higher draft pick than the other.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

To me AJ McCarron seems like the next Ken Dorsey. I would take any other top rated QB in the draft over McCarron.

But we're drafting Bridgewater so this will be a non-issue.

Edit: Doltos, if you would be so kind would you mind giving your personal scouting report on Bridgewater and where you think he should, not will, be drafted?

Kirios fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Dec 9, 2013

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Granted, which makes the draft process unscientific.

I think it comes down to preference, as many athletic and non-athletic QBs are taken high or low depending on the circumstances. I think if you wanted someone like Boyd in this draft, why not target Manziel, Morris, or Hundley? McCarron's only competition is Bridgewater and Carr, and he's got a much better college pedigree than Carr.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Kirios posted:

To me AJ McCarron seems like the next Ken Dorsey. I would take any other top rated QB in the draft over McCarron.

Edit: Doltos, if you would be so kind would you mind giving your personal scouting report on Bridgewater and where you think he should, not will, be drafted?

me earlier in the thread posted:

Teddy Bridgewater, Louisville, 1st
#2 rated prospect coming into Louisville. Good height (6'3) for his position but a little thin. Took some big hits in his career. Smart player, makes the correct reads and makes snap decisions. Could use work on the deep ball. Gets comparisons to Russell Wilson due to the release. Steps into his throws and makes his release point a bit lower than ideal. Not terribly mobile but can move well in the pocket. Probably the #1 pick but is getting discounted due to his competition. Looked mortal against stouter defenses in UCF and Rutgers, although still played well. Similar player: Drew Brees

Edit: should be a top 15 pick

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Has anyone heard anything about Davante Adams declaring? I have really fallen in love with this guy over the past few weeks. Hell, I've fallen in love with this draft class. I would not be at all surprised if we saw seven WRs from this draft go on to have 10+ year careers in the NFL. Sammy Watkins, Jordan Matthews, Davante Adams, and Allen Robinson all seem really solid and then you have the higher risk and higher reward guys like Marquise Lee and Mike Evans. Add to that a Kelvin Benjamin and Brandon Coleman as guys who might blow up in the pros.

It all works out to me being really sad when the Ravens don't draft a receiver...again.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Mettenberger is a senior, by the way.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Quest For Glory II posted:

Mettenberger is a senior, by the way.

Red shirt senior.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Kirios posted:

Edit: Doltos, if you would be so kind would you mind giving your personal scouting report on Bridgewater?

The talent around McCarron creates the usual question marks, but he's probably going to be slightly better than Croyle or McElroy. My guess based on his measurables and play style is that his best-case scenario is being another Matt Schaub.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

TheChirurgeon posted:

The talent around McCarron creates the usual question marks, but he's probably going to be slightly better than Croyle or McElroy. My guess based on his measurables and play style is that his best-case scenario is being another Matt Schaub.

And he could, but he'd have to be put in a situation where he can prove he has the arm strength and can make tough throws, but those questions alone would keep me from drafting him until the 5th, at best.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Oh how the gently caress is Shottenheimer still getting OC gigs

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

Doltos posted:

Last year's draft blew for many reasons and this QB class is undoubtedly miles ahead of Manuel, Smith, and Barkley. It's still not exceptionally good, but I wouldn't be that bothered if Bridgewater, Carr, Manziel, or McCarron ended up on a QB starved team. Not Tahj Boyd though. Never Tahj Boyd.

Next year is going to be astronomical. Mettenberger, Mariota, Hundley (Probably), Winston, Hogan, Miller (Maybe). Woo boy am I excite for next years QBs.

Mettenberger is going this year no matter what. He's going to be the best value QB for a team looking for a backup or waiting till later rounds to give a guy with upside a shot at outcompeting someone in camp (Russel Wilson style but I wouldn't dare say he's that good).

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Doltos posted:

Granted, which makes the draft process unscientific.

I think it comes down to preference, as many athletic and non-athletic QBs are taken high or low depending on the circumstances. I think if you wanted someone like Boyd in this draft, why not target Manziel, Morris, or Hundley? McCarron's only competition is Bridgewater and Carr, and he's got a much better college pedigree than Carr.

The thing that scares me about Boyd is that he's got the Ponder rep of deciding where he'll throw presnap, then starring down the receiver, and running if his first read isn't there. His height isn't ideal, but his arm strength is excellent. He could develop into a good QB at the next level, but he's probably not someone that you should bring in as a day one starter.

As for McCarron, he's already viewed as good at progressing through his reads and being able to hit 3rd or 4th options on plays. I know there are some questions about his ability to read defenses, likely because he's played behind excellent an excellent OL his entire career and his arm strength isn't great, but appears to be sufficient. McCarron's probably someone who could have success as a game manager or good backup in the next level and could probably start early. I think the biggest concern with McCarron is that he was surrounded by great talent his entire career, so it can be difficult to discern how much of their success was him and how much was the players around him. The Senior Bowl will be critical for him and will decide whether he's a 1st or 3rd round pick.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

MJBuddy posted:

Mettenberger is going this year no matter what. He's going to be the best value QB for a team looking for a backup or waiting till later rounds to give a guy with upside a shot at outcompeting someone in camp (Russel Wilson style but I wouldn't dare say he's that good).

Is he? I heard a lot about him going back and I assume he can't be happy ending up as a late round backup with his talent. The ACL tear was super unfortunate considering that he probably would have graded out fantastically in the combine since there's no such thing as a pass rush in throwing drills.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Aniki posted:

The thing that scares me about Boyd is that he's got the Ponder rep of deciding where he'll throw presnap, then starring down the receiver, and running if his first read isn't there. His height isn't ideal, but his arm strength is excellent. He could develop into a good QB at the next level, but he's probably not someone that you should bring in as a day one starter.

As for McCarron, he's already viewed as good at progressing through his reads and being able to hit 3rd or 4th options on plays. I know there are some questions about his ability to read defenses, likely because he's played behind excellent an excellent OL his entire career and his arm strength isn't great, but appears to be sufficient. McCarron's probably someone who could have success as a game manager or good backup in the next level and could probably start early. I think the biggest concern with McCarron is that he was surrounded by great talent his entire career, so it can be difficult to discern how much of their success was him and how much was the players around him. The Senior Bowl will be critical for him and will decide whether he's a 1st or 3rd round pick.

Not only did McCarron have amazing talent around him, he got a lot of favorable looks from teams trying to stop the Alabama run game. Which is not to say that he can't be pro-bowl good, but he shouldn't be a first-round pick.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

ZenVulgarity posted:

Oh how the gently caress is Shottenheimer still getting OC gigs

By having the last name Schottenheimer

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

TheChirurgeon posted:

Not only did McCarron have amazing talent around him, he got a lot of favorable looks from teams trying to stop the Alabama run game. Which is not to say that he can't be pro-bowl good, but he shouldn't be a first-round pick.

I see McCarron as a solid second rounder that's no worse than any of the other second round QB success stories. He undoubtedly was able to perform in his style due to the players around him, and like you said, most notably due to the run game.

sportsgenius86 posted:

Which oddly doesn't work for Marty

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

sportsgenius86 posted:

Its a really good last name.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Doltos posted:

Is he? I heard a lot about him going back and I assume he can't be happy ending up as a late round backup with his talent. The ACL tear was super unfortunate considering that he probably would have graded out fantastically in the combine since there's no such thing as a pass rush in throwing drills.

He was getting some late-first round grades before the injury, and considering that he's not like Boyd or Hundley in that his mobility isn't a big factor to his game compared to his arm strength and accuracy, he could still be a high pick. I'm personally hoping the injury drops him to the #33/65th pick so the Texans can snatch him up. Rest him behind Keenum for a year, let Clowney/Barr and Watt destroy some fools, and end up with a good pick in 2015. :getin: We already have a version of Juice and ODB in Hopkins/Posey and Andre, respectively.

Doltos posted:

I see McCarron as a solid second rounder that's no worse than any of the other second round QB success stories. He undoubtedly was able to perform in his style due to the players around him, and like you said, most notably due to the run game.

...that's what we're saying, though? McCarron won't have such favorable looks in the pro game. I think a 2nd rounder is way too generous for him.

VVV My basis for sticking with Keenum (or even Yates, really) is that we'd have a cheap QB for a year, which would give us more cap space to sign Watt to an extension, rather than taking Bridgewater and giving him a bigger deal.

bhsman fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Dec 9, 2013

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

bhsman posted:

He was getting some late-first round grades before the injury, and considering that he's not like Boyd or Hundley in that his mobility isn't a big factor to his game compared to his arm strength and accuracy, he could still be a high pick. I'm personally hoping the injury drops him to the #33/65th pick so the Texans can snatch him up. Rest him behind Keenum for a year, let Clowney/Barr and Watt destroy some fools, and end up with a good pick in 2015. :getin: We already have a version of Juice and ODB in Hopkins/Posey and Andre, respectively.

The Texans getting Clowney would be incredible. I really don't think they should give up on Keenum just yet as getting Clowney would make them rival the Parcells era Giants.

bhsman posted:

...that's what we're saying, though? McCarron won't have such favorable looks in the pro game. I think a 2nd rounder is way too generous for him.

Hey every QB has knocks and you can't ignore them. I just don't discount him as much for having great players around him since he was also contributing to those wins ever since he took over for McElroy.

Doltos fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Dec 9, 2013

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Doltos posted:

Which oddly doesn't work for Marty

Marty is also 70 years old

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Doltos posted:

The Texans getting Clowney would be incredible. I really don't think they should give up on Keenum just yet as getting Clowney would make them rival the Parcells era Giants.

Well plus Keenum's biggest issue--being unable to read or identify blitzes--is something you can coach up and scheme around, and with improvements to the run game and offensive line, he can be a serviceable, if high-variance starter until the team can grab someone better while the defense owns the poo poo out of everyone.

Though I want to point out that as much as I like Clowney, the Texans run a 3-4 and as such I don't know that you're making best use of Clowney using him as a 3-4 DE or moving him to OLB. You could try to move the team to a 4-3, but then you risk not getting the most out of Watt, which is a much worse deal.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

Doltos posted:

I don't think he has a choice. He's out of eligibility I believe.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

TheChirurgeon posted:

Though I want to point out that as much as I like Clowney, the Texans run a 3-4 and as such I don't know that you're making best use of Clowney using him as a 3-4 DE or moving him to OLB. You could try to move the team to a 4-3, but then you risk not getting the most out of Watt, which is a much worse deal.

Clowney wouldn't be the first 4-3 DE to be drafted as a 3-4 OLB, and any good 3-4 defense makes use of 4-man fronts for nickel and dime formations. Watt has also seen snaps all over the front this year, from 3-4 DE to 4-3 DT and DE, respectively, and with success.. As I've mentioned before, his sack-strip-fumble recovery tornado of death against the Cardinals came from the 4-3 LDE position.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
I think the Texans should go Bridgewater/ASJ. That would be such a nasty combo. I want ASJ on the Bucs but there's no way he's around for our second pick.

Now that the Bucs seem determined to play their way out of the top five I'm hoping for Sammy Watkins as the first pick. We've got virtually no speed on offense and there won't be a great DE available at our pick. I would also accept the USC WR who's name currently escapes me.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Doltos posted:

I feel like the Giants had more than three really good defenders and eight guys who are just bodies

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Has anyone heard anything about Davante Adams declaring? I have really fallen in love with this guy over the past few weeks. Hell, I've fallen in love with this draft class. I would not be at all surprised if we saw seven WRs from this draft go on to have 10+ year careers in the NFL. Sammy Watkins, Jordan Matthews, Davante Adams, and Allen Robinson all seem really solid and then you have the higher risk and higher reward guys like Marquise Lee and Mike Evans. Add to that a Kelvin Benjamin and Brandon Coleman as guys who might blow up in the pros.

It all works out to me being really sad when the Ravens don't draft a receiver...again.

Personally I think Marquise Lee is one of the least risky WRs in his class. Yeah he's a little limited athletically, but he'll be pretty far removed from the knee injury by the time May rolls around (moreso than Keenan Allen was, anyway) and his ball skills and route-running savvy are absolutely top of the class imo. He's just a really polished prospect and I absolutely think he can contribute to an NFL team right away.

I really hope Baalke was at the Fresno State-San Jose State game a couple weeks ago to scout Adams, I don't know if he's entered first round consideration yet but if we could snag him with one of our seconds I'd be ecstatic. Preferably after a corner in the first, although they might have to move up for one of the good ones.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
What's the story on free agent QBs next offseason, if we did pass on Cutler and Bridgewater for a stopgap year with Keenum or a late-rounder?

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

TheChirurgeon posted:

I thought Phillips employs an almost down lineman for his weakside OLB.

Intruder posted:

I feel like the Giants had more than three really good defenders and eight guys who are just bodies

Their three really good defenders were Banks, Carson, and LT but they had a few 'just bodies' too. Maybe comparing the Texans to arguably the best LB corps of all time was a little too excessive, but let's just say Watt + Clowney would be terrifying.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
My worries about Lee are probably unreasonable but a guy that size who already has an injury history does concern me. That said the guy plays like a substantially better Derrick Mason, which is pretty much the highest praise I can give a receiver.

I would be very comfortable with taking Davante Adams in the first. Dude looks like a Cordarrelle Patterson but with great hands.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

Elotana posted:

What's the story on free agent QBs next offseason, if we did pass on Cutler and Bridgewater for a stopgap year with Keenum or a late-rounder?

Cutler is the best FA...by a long shot.

Pos Player FA Status Previous Team Current Team
QB Derek Anderson UFA Carolina Panthers Free Agent
QB Kellen Clemens UFA St. Louis Rams Free Agent
QB Jay CutlerNew player news! UFA Chicago Bears Free Agent
QB Pat DevlinNew player news! RFA Miami Dolphins Free Agent
QB Matt Flynn UFA Green Bay Packers Free Agent
QB Josh Freeman UFA Minnesota Vikings Free Agent
QB Rex GrossmanNew player news! UFA Washington Redskins Free Agent
QB Caleb HanieNew player news! UFA Cleveland Browns Free Agent
QB Chad Henne UFA Jacksonville Jaguars Free Agent
QB Shaun Hill UFA Detroit Lions Free Agent
QB Tarvaris Jackson UFA Seattle Seahawks Free Agent
QB Josh McCown UFA Chicago Bears Free Agent
QB Luke McCown UFA New Orleans Saints Free Agent
QB Dan Orlovsky UFA Tampa Bay Buccaneers Free Agent
QB Charlie Whitehurst UFA San Diego Chargers Free Agent

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe

Elotana posted:

Assuming Cutler gets a new contract/franchise tagged, Mike Vick is the only starting level QB on the market.

Comedy option: trading for RGIII after he becomes persona non grata in Washington

quote:

If the knock on McCarron is that he was playing on an absurdly talented offense, you can make that same knock against Boyd, who had the luxury of tossing to two elite wide receivers his whole career. Not that I think Boyd is a terrible prospect or anything, but he's been throwing to much better receivers than any other quarterback in this draft.

Emanuel Collective fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Dec 9, 2013

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Looks like someone needs to unleash the dragon, Sexy Rexy available.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Shath Hole posted:

Cutler is the best FA...by a long shot.

Pos Player FA Status Previous Team Current Team
QB Derek Anderson UFA Carolina Panthers Free Agent
QB Kellen Clemens UFA St. Louis Rams Free Agent
QB Jay CutlerNew player news! UFA Chicago Bears Free Agent
QB Pat DevlinNew player news! RFA Miami Dolphins Free Agent
QB Matt Flynn UFA Green Bay Packers Free Agent
QB Josh Freeman UFA Minnesota Vikings Free Agent
QB Rex GrossmanNew player news! UFA Washington Redskins Free Agent
QB Caleb HanieNew player news! UFA Cleveland Browns Free Agent
QB Chad Henne UFA Jacksonville Jaguars Free Agent
QB Shaun Hill UFA Detroit Lions Free Agent
QB Tarvaris Jackson UFA Seattle Seahawks Free Agent
QB Josh McCown UFA Chicago Bears Free Agent
QB Luke McCown UFA New Orleans Saints Free Agent
QB Dan Orlovsky UFA Tampa Bay Buccaneers Free Agent
QB Charlie Whitehurst UFA San Diego Chargers Free Agent
You forgot
QB Brett Favre UFA Minnesota Vikings Free Agent

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Emanuel Collective posted:

If the knock on McCarron is that he was playing on an absurdly talented offense, you can make that same knock against Boyd, who had the luxury of tossing to two elite wide receivers his whole career. Not that I think Boyd is a terrible prospect or anything, but he's been throwing to much better receivers than any other quarterback in this draft.

Hey listen you don't need to give me further reasons to not like Boyd, but that is again one of them. I kind of don't like the "he was surrounded by great talent" argument for any prospect if they're contributing to that great talent. Like there are plenty of QBs that were absolutely terrible on great teams (note, LSU before Mettenberger got there), and then there are guys like McCarron who carry their fair share of the slack. Same with Boyd.

Like let's make it clear that Boyd is a fantastic college player. He'll just probably suck in the NFL.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy

Doltos posted:

and then there are guys like McCarron who carry their fair share of the slack.

wait you can't be serious.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
Cutler is absolutely going to get tagged if not locked up, the best free agent QB options are realistically Campbell, Freeman, and Josh McCown in that order imo.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

Grozz Nuy posted:

Cutler is absolutely going to get tagged if not locked up, the best free agent QB options are realistically Campbell, Freeman, and Josh McCown in that order imo.

Emery has publicly stated that he is not in favor of tagging the QB position in general so I don't think that is a forgone conclusion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe

Shath Hole posted:

Emery has publicly stated that he is not in favor of tagging the QB position in general so I don't think that is a forgone conclusion.

He's not in favor of it because he'd rather have him under contract. He'll do it if contract negotiations fall apart. The team has no plans for moving on without Cutler next season.

Emanuel Collective fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Dec 9, 2013

• Locked thread