Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nis
Feb 21, 2011

:allears:

uaciaut posted:

QTpie comments on the current state of the challenged NA scene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIgp3AwLRfc

It'd be hysterical if Velocity got knocked out of LCS by a NA amateur team. Please let this happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

Is velocity officially that eg.na lineup now?

Nis
Feb 21, 2011

Jackie D posted:

Is velocity officially that eg.na lineup now?

Nothing confirmed yet. Someone on reddit found some tweets that indicated that roster lock for the promotion tournament is today though, so hopefully we get some confirmation.

uaciaut
Mar 20, 2008
:splurp:

Homura posted:

Nothing confirmed yet. Someone on reddit found some tweets that indicated that roster lock for the promotion tournament is today though, so hopefully we get some confirmation.

Given that qtpie said that on stream, it got recorded and posted on reddit and krepo replied to it, well it's pretty much confirmed i'd say.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

uaciaut posted:

Given that qtpie said that on stream, it got recorded and posted on reddit and krepo replied to it, well it's pretty much confirmed i'd say.

Yeah there's no doubt about Velocity's lineup. We just don't know if it's still going to be Velocity, or if it will be EG.NA or something else. But it's those players.

I'm confident predicting now that no NALCS teams will get relegated. Oh well, would have been nice to see some new blood.

iSurrender
Aug 25, 2005
Now with 22% more apathy!

Sexpansion posted:

I didn't get to watch any of the NA promotional matches. Was Quantic's internet connection really the reason they lost?

No.

They lost because they played poorly. The casters were calling it as a combination of playing from an internet cafe and going on tilt, but it could have just as well have been plain old nerves/choking.

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012

Sexpansion posted:

Yeah there's no doubt about Velocity's lineup. We just don't know if it's still going to be Velocity, or if it will be EG.NA or something else. But it's those players.

I'm confident predicting now that no NALCS teams will get relegated. Oh well, would have been nice to see some new blood.

It will come down to how well VES/EGNA gels as a team, and whether they actually pull it together. If they have Innox and Pobelter they also have two inconsistent players (especially Innox, who had some real stinker games in the NACL), and if those players haven't worked the inconsistency out of their game (something that can be a bitch to do) that's two lanes that could falter.

It also remains to be seen how well the lineup has adapted to 3.14 - especially Snoopeh. We've already seen what happens when Snoopeh fails to apply jungle pressure in EU - and top/mid/jungle synergy is really important.

TBD and TWZ looked like they had their teamwork down in the group stages and could exploit issues with VES.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

iSurrender posted:

No.

They lost because they played poorly. The casters were calling it as a combination of playing from an internet cafe and going on tilt, but it could have just as well have been plain old nerves/choking.

That's what I figured - if it were really internet issues you would think there would be much more of an issue being made about it. Thanks!

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Sexpansion posted:

That's what I figured - if it were really internet issues you would think there would be much more of an issue being made about it. Thanks!
It may have contributed; they had a few pauses for lag, and the game directly after Quantic's third was so bad due to server-side issues that they nearly remade it 30 minutes in.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
To me I think the larger issue is that if you comb the three teams that face relegation (Coast, Curse, Velocity or New-EG or whatever) plus the three challenger teams TWZ, Cognitive, and TBD. The real issue is that none of those six teams are actually any good regardless of who wins the spots.

So the NA LCS is still going to be basically C9, TSM, and XDG running train over the other squads. Dignitas and CLG still sitting on unstable rosters and not really caring much. And then three filler squads for the top teams to beat up on.

I feel like NA LCS will actually be both less competitive and lower skilled than the previous split, which I didn't think was possible from watching the previous split.

Zahki
Nov 7, 2004

I've been watching qtpie and Kiwikid duo queue and I don't understand what the gently caress Dig are thinking with that role change. Kiwikid proved to be a pretty big liability last split and he's even worse at support, I wouldn't be surprised to see them get relegated next year to be honest, they don't look like they're going to improve at all. And yeah the NA LCS will probably be hardly worth watching.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Libertine posted:

I feel like NA LCS will actually be both less competitive and lower skilled than the previous split, which I didn't think was possible from watching the previous split.
Streaming is a higher priority right now than practice in most LCS Players. Who the hell knows why Challenger players aren't as good as any other region, but WildTurtle can get in there 4 times without even struggling. NA is a region of Egos and Personalities, while basically any Asian region is full of hardworking players, and EU is a mix between both. The longer LCS goes on, the less competitive teams it seems like there are, as the top teams get better and everyone that isn't in first or second place slide downwards. Coast isn't even close to being on TSM's level anymore and they placed 2nd in the first LCS season, and Curse dominated most of the first split and may not even make it into LCS this time. The second split was so sad, seeing Cloud9 stomp every other team while TSM slips by with their obligatory second place.

Meanwhile in Korea, there are easily 6 top teams who are all on equal footing, and even the bottom teams are better than NA.

Damiya
Jul 3, 2012

Flameingblack posted:

Meanwhile in Korea, there are easily 6 top teams who are all on equal footing, and even the bottom teams are better than NA.

I'd put good money on any team in NLB to poop all over any team from NA, and that's kinda sad.

It's also confusing.. If you look at the amount of money that the top talent in NA pulls in, I don't understand why so few people want it, you know? The rewards for being the top of the heap are so tremendous.. Why isn't there a swath of talent trying to step up?

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

Zahki posted:

I've been watching qtpie and Kiwikid duo queue and I don't understand what the gently caress Dig are thinking with that role change. Kiwikid proved to be a pretty big liability last split and he's even worse at support, I wouldn't be surprised to see them get relegated next year to be honest, they don't look like they're going to improve at all. And yeah the NA LCS will probably be hardly worth watching.

qtpie seems like a really strong mechanical player, and most of the competitive issues he did have were related to early game decision-making. He's probably the strongest mechanical player on Dignitas roster. Their roster right now is a mess though. If qtpie has to go into the LCS Season with Kiwikid as his support Dignitas is basically hosed. If that's seriously their solution they are probably going to lose a lot of games. Cruzerthebruzer is a NA Ladder Diamond 1 Caliber top lane player but that's really all you can say about him. I don't think he's going to be able to succeed given the other issues. I'm not really impressed with scarra or crumbz even though they used to be players I really liked on Dignitas. Just feels like neither of them had a lot of big games in last season.

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012

Flameingblack posted:

Streaming is a higher priority right now than practice in most LCS Players. Who the hell knows why Challenger players aren't as good as any other region, but WildTurtle can get in there 4 times without even struggling. NA is a region of Egos and Personalities, while basically any Asian region is full of hardworking players, and EU is a mix between both. The longer LCS goes on, the less competitive teams it seems like there are, as the top teams get better and everyone that isn't in first or second place slide downwards. Coast isn't even close to being on TSM's level anymore and they placed 2nd in the first LCS season, and Curse dominated most of the first split and may not even make it into LCS this time. The second split was so sad, seeing Cloud9 stomp every other team while TSM slips by with their obligatory second place.

The Challenger teams have actually been practicing a lot, so I don't know if its that. (Source: http://www.ongamers.com/articles/watch-the-throne-this-is-what-it-s-like-to-be-a-challenger-tier-player/1100-128/ ).

It's pretty weird; it looks like they should be getting better and the matches are seem less throwy than challenger matches used to be, but still. It might just be that things are ramping up and the skill/talent requirement is quite high, so even efforts to catch up aren't quite there.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Libertine posted:

qtpie seems like a really strong mechanical player, and most of the competitive issues he did have were related to early game decision-making. He's probably the strongest mechanical player on Dignitas roster. Their roster right now is a mess though. If qtpie has to go into the LCS Season with Kiwikid as his support Dignitas is basically hosed. If that's seriously their solution they are probably going to lose a lot of games. Cruzerthebruzer is a NA Ladder Diamond 1 Caliber top lane player but that's really all you can say about him. I don't think he's going to be able to succeed given the other issues. I'm not really impressed with scarra or crumbz even though they used to be players I really liked on Dignitas. Just feels like neither of them had a lot of big games in last season.
QTPie might be one of the best AD Carries in LCS, the problem is he's on a team where it doesn't really matter. Scarra has really fallen off since his champions got nerfed and the world's opened up a bit. They're still fun people, but Dignitas is lucky to be scraping the surface of a top 4 team this season since the top 3 are pretty locked in already.

Damiya posted:

I'd put good money on any team in NLB to poop all over any team from NA, and that's kinda sad.

It's also confusing.. If you look at the amount of money that the top talent in NA pulls in, I don't understand why so few people want it, you know? The rewards for being the top of the heap are so tremendous.. Why isn't there a swath of talent trying to step up?
Cloud9 hasn't done very well at all against international teams so far. Granted, they've been up against FNatic (Who were 3/4 place in Worlds) and Gambit (Who are probably going to stomp EU with Edward back) but they haven't even put up much of a fight. I guess C9 can only get as good as the teams they're competing against, so eventually teams will catch up to Cloud9 and they'll get better...eventually?

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax
Speaking of Qtpie's mechanics I think he's mechanically challenged at speaking because lmao

Zahki
Nov 7, 2004

TSM will be a big chance for winning the next LCS I think. Mid was their weakest lane with Reginald, now thats reversed and it's probably their strongest. Bjergsen will destroy most NA mids, that'll make Oddones job much easier since he won't need to camp nearly as much and can support Dyrus and Wildturtle even more. C9 seem to be a little shaken at how easily they got dumped out of worlds too, judging by their performance against Gambit.

pvax
Aug 6, 2001

I'm interested to see where C9 is at. I do think that loss at IEM Cologne was less Cloud9 failing and more that this Gambit team is incredible. Gambit also rolled right over Fanatic in the finals.

I think the true test will be C9 vs Fanatic at the Atlantic match. Looking forward to that rematch.

Angry Walrus
Aug 31, 2013

Quinn it
to
Win it.
Maybe this time C9 will actually ban Kassadin.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I don't think NA is actually worse than it was in season 3. Right now we have 3 very skilled teams in C9, TSM and XD.GG (if they've been able to work out that whole "throwing" problem) and I'm pretty sure that those 3 teams are more skilled than old Curse, CLG and TSM. We don't know how any of the challenger teams will turn out in the LCS. It would be difficult for any challenger team to be as bad as Velocity was, and this split CLG will probably be putting an actual jungler in the jungle. Dignitas might be hosed for the split but they might at least put up a fight.

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009
New Curse is now really exciting me, Quas was a seriously good pickup.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
Don't we still have, like, three months until the season starts? That's plenty of time for dig to kick kiwi in favor of, say, M eye A.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Frgrbrgr posted:

New Curse is now really exciting me, Quas was a seriously good pickup.

I dunno about new Curse. Aside from Quas, it hasn't really impressed me.

BrainToad
Dec 31, 2008

Kiwi isn't the permanent support so hopefully if he shits out they'll dump him for one of the challenger supports. Especially because the current roster lock is just for relegations and battle of the Atlantic.

I kind of hope XDG do what they were talking about and swap xmithie and zuna positions. And then drop zuna as sub and bring in scubachris as starting junglers because zuna will probably be a liability in the jungle as well.

Previous Jesus
Jun 5, 2013
Kick Cruzer and Kiwikid for MegaZero and MeyeA.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

curiousCat posted:

Don't we still have, like, three months until the season starts? That's plenty of time for dig to kick kiwi in favor of, say, M eye A.

I agree (although I'm kinda hoping for Gleebglarbu), I feel like there's no way Dig goes into the season with Kiwi at support. On-stream he looks better with a randomly assigned support than when he's duo'd with Kiwi, and that's night and day when like Doublelift/Aphromoo stream together. If Dig can pick up a good support, I think they'll have a better split gameplay-wise but I'd bet on a fifth-place finish behind the big three and probably CLG.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Previous Jesus posted:

Kick Cruzer and Kiwikid for MegaZero and MeyeA.

Nah just get Krepo when Velocity gets defeated :getin:. I actually think Gleeb is the best pick from currently available supports. M Eye A was very reliant on one to two champions and playing aggressively.

Edit: Also... MegaZero sucks in competitive play when push comes to shove. He didn't play well at Spring Relegations, he didn't play well last weekend. Dude chokes too hard.

Savage Cracker
Jul 21, 2010
Cutiepie and Krepo botlane ? That'd make Dig my favorite NA team :allears:

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
The problem with Krepo is I want any team he's on to not make it to Championships or Worlds so he can be on the guest panel all the time.

Previous Jesus
Jun 5, 2013

Studio posted:

Edit: Also... MegaZero sucks in competitive play when push comes to shove. He didn't play well at Spring Relegations, he didn't play well last weekend. Dude chokes too hard.

He played pretty well at Pax from what I remember, which was a live event in front of a huge crowd for a promotion spot, but I see your point.

e: Yeah, if EG.NA or whatever doesn't qualify for LCS (which apparently they probably won't according to qtpie), I'd prefer to see Krepo doing some sort of commentary/analysis. Being on Dig would be cool, too, though.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

I also think Gleeb is the best non-LCS support and I hope one of the LCS teams picks him up. Or when all the roster configurations happen after the teams get settled.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

BrainToad posted:

Kiwi isn't the permanent support so hopefully if he shits out they'll dump him for one of the challenger supports. Especially because the current roster lock is just for relegations and battle of the Atlantic.

I kind of hope XDG do what they were talking about and swap xmithie and zuna positions. And then drop zuna as sub and bring in scubachris as starting junglers because zuna will probably be a liability in the jungle as well.

I remember hearing somewhere that they tried switching Xmithie and Zuna and it just didn't work out so they switched back. Also didn't Scubachris retire from competitive LoL forever?

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

A Moose posted:

I remember hearing somewhere that they tried switching Xmithie and Zuna and it just didn't work out so they switched back. Also didn't Scubachris retire from competitive LoL forever?

Didn't Brunch U?

BrainToad
Dec 31, 2008

A Moose posted:

I think it was always something they were just trying out, but I remember mancloud talking about it on his stream.

If XDG gave scubachris the chance to go active roster he'd probably do it. The only reason he is "retired" is because of the drama that happened with NiD

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

I'm surprised MegaZero doesn't have stronger nerves, shouldn't he have been toughened up from being shoved in lockers and trash cans all his life?

Nis
Feb 21, 2011

Jerkface posted:

I'm surprised MegaZero doesn't have stronger nerves, shouldn't he have been toughened up from being shoved in lockers and trash cans all his life?

He came off as an entitled baby when he popped off at Marn on reddit over supposed withheld money.

Marn went through the expenses that the team insisted on at the time and mentioned how they did a lot of damage to the furnished house they rented, and just how it was ridiculous that MegaZero would talk about withheld money when they didn't take any responsibility for keeping the place in good condition or cleaning up at all when it was time to move out.

Granted Marn is a shithead too, but I trust his account of what went down over Mega's.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Riot wound up paying the ex-MRN players and permabanning Marn from LCS and all related tournaments in any capacity.

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009

curiousCat posted:

Don't we still have, like, three months until the season starts?

Last season started 2/7 and that was a couple weeks late from what I remember. I'd fully expect LCS to start up in a month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Never trust Marn.

• Locked thread