Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

LeafHouse posted:

My place is about a 5 minute walk from the Palatine Metra so it should be accessible enough for most city folk. Friday the 3rd is probably the best for me but I'm open to other days as well if that doesn't work for some people.

Everyone who seemed interested said the 3rd worked for them. And if you're willing to host, then let's make it official:

Friday, January 3rd. Goon Bottle share at Leafhouse's place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

katkillad2 posted:

I'm kind of in the middle of Dayton and Cinci, the place I was referring to is Jungle Jims. Their beer and wine section is pretty ridiculous. Regardless if we shop at the same place or not I wouldn't mind some Ohio beer suggestions. I did a little research and found Jackie O's and remember seeing them last time I was there so I'll probably pick something up from them. Maybe I'll give Great Lakes a second chance as well since it's been so long since I tried anything by them.

Yeah, you should give Jackie O's beers a try. They currently have 3 that they can, an IPA, Amber, and Brown ale. All of them are pretty good, and worth trying.

You should also give Revolution's Bottom Up Wit a try, it's a Belgian Witbier, so it will be the same style as Blue Moon, but it's wayyy better.

One of my favorite beers ever is Fat Head's Head Hunter IPA, so if you like hoppy bitter beers at all, you should give it a try.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

We have two big bottle shares coming up in Dallas: December 27 and January 19. First one is at a friend's house, the other's at a beer bar willing to let us open bottles.

PM me if you are interested and I'll send over more details.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

danbanana posted:

Everyone who seemed interested said the 3rd worked for them. And if you're willing to host, then let's make it official:

Woot.
Now what do I bring...

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

danbanana posted:

I declared a couple months ago that I was giving up drinking for the month of January. Except bottle shares. Let's do this. Now just to decide what to bring...

broom
Aug 29, 2005

danbanana posted:

Hmmmm, I was maybe already considering coming to Chicago that weekend......could I bring a non-goon or is it getting kind of full??

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

broom posted:

Hmmmm, I was maybe already considering coming to Chicago that weekend......could I bring a non-goon or is it getting kind of full??

Leafhouse's final call being that it's his place...

Compusaurus
May 29, 2003
OK, I WILL, IN A MINUTE...

crazyfish posted:

I declared a couple months ago that I was giving up drinking for the month of January. Except bottle shares. Let's do this. Now just to decide what to bring...

On that topic, can you add a space on the sheet to put down what we are bringing danbanana? I already have a pretty good idea of what I want to bring right now. Pliny should still be good a month after bottling, right?

Compusaurus fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Dec 9, 2013

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Compusaurus posted:

On that topic, can you add a space on the sheet to put down what we are bringing danbanana? I already have a pretty good idea of what I want to bring right now. Pliny should still be good a month after bottling, right?

Do we want to announce beforehand? I'd actually prefer to be surprised...

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

danbanana posted:

Do we want to announce beforehand? I'd actually prefer to be surprised...

I don't mind either way, I'm just paranoid to bring something that isn't worthy enough hahaha.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

broom posted:

It's fine by me! That'll put us around 12 people (assuming my goon friends who didn't sign up on the spreadsheet come) which seems like a pretty good number to me. My apartment isn't huge but can surely accommodate everyone. Seating is limited though so be prepared to stand haha. I think adding what you're bringing on the spreadsheet is a good idea. That way people can easily see what sorts of styles are represented and plan accordingly. I'd like it if people steered away from every day stuff and tried to bring something pretty special, not that it needs to be all walezbro or anything.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

LeafHouse posted:

It's fine by me! That'll put us around 12 people (assuming my goon friends who didn't sign up on the spreadsheet come) which seems like a pretty good number to me. My apartment isn't huge but can surely accommodate everyone. Seating is limited though so be prepared to stand haha. I think adding what you're bringing on the spreadsheet is a good idea. That way people can easily see what sorts of styles are represented and plan accordingly. I'd like it if people steered away from every day stuff and tried to bring something pretty special, not that it needs to be all walezbro or anything.

Ok. Sheet updated to include a spot for what you're bringing. With 12 people, I'm going suggest people bring the equivalent of two bombers (two 750s, two sets of two 12 oz, a growler, etc).

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

LeafHouse posted:

I would actually personally vote for a *different* spreadsheet rather than clutter the current one with dates, now that a date and locale have been decided. I'd also vote for filling out the spreadsheet in advance rather than full surprises, because as good as the beer is, we really don't need 10 people bringing a Bois, for example...

edit: never mind, just saw the updated spreasheet. Carry on.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

crazyfish posted:

we really don't need 10 people bringing a Bois, for example...

But this would allow me to play EDWARD BOIS HANDS.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Even 1 Brandy Boid probably couldn't be finished by that many people. I swear a sip of that beer is enough, its like drinking a flourless chocolate cake dipped in 100% pure cocoa, its that rich.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
Man, Sweet Repute was so decidedly meh. I would have much rather picked up two 4 packs of Dirty Bastard for the same amount of money. I got little to no maple flavor, which almost leads me to believe that a very small percentage of the wort beer was actually aged in maple bourbon barrels and that it was done more to be able to put the word "maple bourbon barrels" on the label than anything else.

E: You're right Midorka, my bad.

Mikey Purp fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Dec 9, 2013

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
Not to be pedantic, but you wouldn't age the wort in the barrels. Once it's fermented it's beer.

Beer talk: Troegnator is delicious.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

swickles posted:

Even 1 Brandy Boid probably couldn't be finished by that many people. I swear a sip of that beer is enough, its like drinking a flourless chocolate cake dipped in 100% pure cocoa, its that rich.

I killed one with help of two other people. Really awesome beer but yeah, so, so rich.

edit:

ChiTownEddie posted:

I don't mind either way, I'm just paranoid to bring something that isn't worthy enough hahaha.

If you have something that's out of Chicago distro (even out-of-distro shelf beers) or a limitedish Chicago distro (something that people might be ISO on a trade board, for example), it's probably a good candidate for this. Just get a feel for what people are bringing and see what you got, ask if you have any doubts. No one is going to be busting out Dave or Don Quijote or Loerik or anything like that. Basically, don't worry about it too much.

crazyfish fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Dec 9, 2013

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Nice, Palatine works great. Time to get that Mango Magnifico out of my makeshift cellar.

Casual Yogurt
Jul 1, 2005

Cool tricks kid, I like your style.
gently caress yea got a BCBS without even trying, my lazyness paid off.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

americanzero4128 posted:

Nice, Palatine works great. Time to get that Mango Magnifico out of my makeshift cellar.

Hahahaha good one!

Seriously though I will not allow you to enter my home with such a beer. (I've got two I will never drink that we can open if anyone really is feeling masochistic)

LeafHouse fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Dec 9, 2013

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Don't worry, I like you guys too much to bring out my lone bottle of Bolt Cutter or the likely-infected Fantome Extra Sour (though I may bring it on top of other, far better beers in case we feel like going down that rabbit hole).

edit: Bringing a 'mystery sour' because I have far more sours that I want to drink than anything else; I can pretty much guarantee one of you is not bringing this without having to ask. Will need to figure out other options.

crazyfish fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Dec 10, 2013

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

But I hope you leave enough room for my fist, because I'm going to ram it into your stomach!!!
So everybody (including Bell's) says that Expedition Stout is so much better when it's aged, designed for vintage aging, the #1 beer to age, but--and I know this is a difficult thing to quantify--what's the difference? I've read from some people that it gets less bitter or that it's too bitter fresh. I really don't find it to be very bitter at all and kind of fail to see how it would improve. Then again I've never actually held onto anything for more than a month or two so I haven't given it a try yet (but I do have a lot of them on hand). Thoughts?

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

krustster posted:

So everybody (including Bell's) says that Expedition Stout is so much better when it's aged, designed for vintage aging, the #1 beer to age, but--and I know this is a difficult thing to quantify--what's the difference? I've read from some people that it gets less bitter or that it's too bitter fresh. I really don't find it to be very bitter at all and kind of fail to see how it would improve. Then again I've never actually held onto anything for more than a month or two so I haven't given it a try yet (but I do have a lot of them on hand). Thoughts?

Chicago goons love this place so it's pretty fitting that I'd post it. Enjoy:

http://craftbeertemple.com/videoblog/2013/11/bells-expedition-vertical/

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Zombina says "si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes!"

LeafHouse posted:

Is 12 people locked in stone? I originally did not put myself on the Excel because I expected to be out of town for work, but plans changed and I'd like come. I could maybe talk Shane to coming too.

PainBreak
Jun 9, 2001
All Star in Parkville got a second keg of BCBS! Guess who wins? ME.

cereal eater
Aug 25, 2008

I'd save these, if I wanted too

ps i dont deserve my 'king' nickname

Phanatic posted:

Hey, I drank one last night too. I thought it was great, but not as good as FV13, which is possibly the best beer I've had this year.

Then I drank most of a growler of Brown Shugga. A tactical error, to say the least.

FV13 was awesome, I got it on the recommendation of the beer guy at Rodman's in DC, drank it, and bought their last bottle the next day. Any DC/MD goons with input on where to find beer? I work at a beer store in Rockville, MD, but we rarely get the extremely limited stuff because Montgomery County is such a bitch to deal with.

Cbear
Mar 22, 2005

cereal eater posted:

FV13 was awesome, I got it on the recommendation of the beer guy at Rodman's in DC, drank it, and bought their last bottle the next day. Any DC/MD goons with input on where to find beer? I work at a beer store in Rockville, MD, but we rarely get the extremely limited stuff because Montgomery County is such a bitch to deal with.

I usually end up going to DC places. I'm in Frederick and we have one decent shop(Ye olde spirit shoppe). But I honestly don't know of any great stores in the area.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Daaaamn, Curmudgeon by Founders is great right now. Bought this in March at the brewery, not sure when it was actually brewed though. The perfect slow sipper that I wanted right now.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

But I hope you leave enough room for my fist, because I'm going to ram it into your stomach!!!

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

Chicago goons love this place so it's pretty fitting that I'd post it. Enjoy:

http://craftbeertemple.com/videoblog/2013/11/bells-expedition-vertical/

Thanks for this! It's kind of funny watching it because the guy keeps saying "I'M TIRED" when it seems pretty clear that he's already sort of drunk, but this is pretty much what I was looking for. I still think the bitterness is overblown but I'll have to keep at least a few of them for a few years here.

I was secretly hoping that someone would say "it doesn't change, the whole thing is a scam" so I could drink my entire supply without feeling guilty--it tastes so good fresh that it's taken supreme willpower for me to have only drank two of them in the last month.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

Any opinions on Black Note? I've always missed it before but I fully plan on clearing out the local stores this year and blasting it with wild abandon. I'm still irritated that we didn't even get regular BCBS but this past year there was definitely some Black Note available here (in the distant fake part of Michigan).

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

krustster posted:

Any opinions on Black Note? I've always missed it before but I fully plan on clearing out the local stores this year and blasting it with wild abandon. I'm still irritated that we didn't even get regular BCBS but this past year there was definitely some Black Note available here (in the distant fake part of Michigan).

Better than BCBS fresh but doesn't age nearly as well. Also, there was no indication that Black Note would be a regular release. People assume it would be, but I haven't heard anything mentioned.

Personally, I really want to try BA Expedition. I can imagine that beer being legendarily delicious.

Compusaurus
May 29, 2003
OK, I WILL, IN A MINUTE...

americanzero4128 posted:

I kind of want to try this because I want to see if is as bad as Doom.

krustster posted:

I think most people on this board like Black Note, but I personally think it is too sweet. Maybe it's better with some time.

Put some ON Cookies & Cream in it and it'll probably taste better, Krustster.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Compusaurus posted:

I think most people on this board like Black Note, but I personally think it is too sweet. Maybe it's better with some time.

Er... like a Black Note protein shake? :aaaaa:

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

crazyfish posted:

Better than BCBS fresh but doesn't age nearly as well. Also, there was no indication that Black Note would be a regular release. People assume it would be, but I haven't heard anything mentioned.

Personally, I really want to try BA Expedition. I can imagine that beer being legendarily delicious.

It seems safe to assume, given it's come out the last few years with more bottles each time, and this past year came out in 4-packs in addition to the 750mls, but I suppose you're right on that. Black Note being 50% Expedition seems to bode well for it but I'm sure 100% would be better. I was a little underwhelmed by the Double Cream.

Compusaurus posted:

what.... ON flavor chat??? this technique... it can't be...

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Compusaurus posted:

I kind of want to try this because I want to see if is as bad as Doom.

It is pretty drat bad. I've pretty much hated every Founders Backstage after Better Half. I haven't had Crime or Punishment though, so I imagine that those are worse.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Went and picked up some of the suggestions, I got:

1809 Berliner Weisse
Rochefort 10
Lindemans Gueuze Cuvée René
Sierra Nevada Kellerweis
Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier and Original
Jolly Pumpkin Oro De Calabaza
Jackie O's Mystic Mama
Fat Head's Head Hunter IPA and Bumble Berry

Can't wait to try them over the next few days. The place I went had some Revolution beers but no Bottoms up Wit, but I think I found some crazy gas station like 20 minutes away that has that and a watermelon wheat beer I want to try. If I really enjoy just one or two of these drinks I will consider this a success!

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

katkillad2 posted:

1809 Berliner Weisse
Rochefort 10
Sierra Nevada Kellerweis
Jackie O's Mystic Mama

Can't wait to try them over the next few days. The place I went had some Revolution beers but no Bottoms up Wit, but I think I found some crazy gas station like 20 minutes away that has that and a watermelon wheat beer I want to try. If I really enjoy just one or two of these drinks I will consider this a success!

No joke, that is a very solid set of beers with a lot of variance in flavors. Enjoy!

Incidentally, Hell or High Watermelon might be getting a little long in the tooth - just a warning, as that was released in early summer.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

katkillad2 posted:

1809 Berliner Weisse
Rochefort 10
Sierra Nevada Kellerweis
Jackie O's Mystic Mama

I haven't tried all of those but I can practically guarantee you'll love Rochefort 10. I waited too long to try it but I was blown away. It's really accessible and not "extreme" in any way, but the flavors are incredibly complex. The Kellerweis should be a good one too since it's really easy to find and you were saying that you liked wheat beers or whatever. Hefeweizens are something that I don't blast a lot of but they're appropriate for almost any occasion.

A local store also has Jolly Pumpkin Fuego del Otono on hand and I've been trying really hard to resist it due to the fact that I've spent like $300 on beer over the last month. The internet seems kind of divided, some are disgusted and some love it. What's that one all about? I don't know anything about "biere de garde".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Rochefort's stuff is consistently great.

Someone asked for a specific location, so I'm currently an hour away from Los Angeles. Looking for fruity beers that still have flavor.