Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Yeah. I think we rolled that into the new Skyrim general thread. Feel free to post them here though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.

Scyantific posted:

Generally speaking, you'll want to do your first Skyrim run with as few mods as possible, that way you know exactly what you want to change about the game.

My recommendations for a first timer usually come down to:
-Unofficial Patches
-SkyUI
-Weapons and Armor Fixes
-Clothing & Clutter Fixes
-Even Better Quest Objectives
-Run For Your Lives
-When Vampires Attack
-Better Dialogue Controls
-Better Message Controls
-No Poison Dialogues
-Brawl Bugs Patch
-Timing Is Everything
-The Choice is Yours (so your quest log doesn't clutter up)
-Smart Souls/Aquisitive Soul Gems
-Thieves Guild Requirements (So you don't get roped into the Thieves Guild automatically)
-Bounty Gold (optional)
-Faster Mining
-Guard Dialogue Overhaul (no new dialogue, just makes them use existing stuff correctly)
-Static Mesh Improvement Mod (makes things look worlds better)

Most of these are things that make some of the glaring flaws of the game a bit less harsh (such as getting tossed into the Thieves Guild questline your first time in Riften), or making sure that vital NPCs stay alive during Vampire/Dragon attacks.

As for installing them, you'll want to install Mod Organizer, and install your mods through there. MO has a quick walkthrough the first time you start it up, and there are videos and links on how to use it and other mods in the OP.

Thank you for this, I added most of these and a few of Gopher's recommendations. They all worked pretty much perfectly and I'm several hours in and enjoying it immensely! Thanks!

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
A character concept I've wanted to try a few times, but never quite gotten around to doing, is an unarmed and unarmoured adventurer. Walk into a ruin with nothing but the clothes on my back and a knife, and when trouble starts, wham, summon a lackey, armour spell, bound weapon and shield. SPERG makes this concept work even better with its improvements to bound weapons, wards and the Alteration perk that boosts armour spells if unarmoured. I'll get around to it if I can find a suitably adventurer-looking clothing set somewhere - not a fan of robes on a not-pure-mage type, and the Nexus's output in regards to custom clothing is... eurgh.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Hey guys, I picked up Skyrim a few days ago during the Steam sale. Enjoying the hell out of it so far and got a few mods like SkyUI, Morrowloot and Aethernautics installed. Now, a fiend of mine has linked me to the following modpack suggesting that it would be right up my alley:

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/41087/?tab=2&navtag=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nexusmods.com%2Fskyrim%2Fajax%2Fmodfiles%2F%3Fid%3D41087&pUp=1

Looking at it so far, I'd say he's right. It sounds like a blast, especially for someone like me who really likes to get into character when playing. Thing is, it's a huge and ambitious looking mod and I wanted to ask if you guys have any experience with it and can tell me if it's complete poo poo or not before I go screwing around with my game files.

Tarq
Apr 25, 2008

by Ralp

Dr Snofeld posted:

A character concept I've wanted to try a few times, but never quite gotten around to doing, is an unarmed and unarmoured adventurer. Walk into a ruin with nothing but the clothes on my back and a knife, and when trouble starts, wham, summon a lackey, armour spell, bound weapon and shield. SPERG makes this concept work even better with its improvements to bound weapons, wards and the Alteration perk that boosts armour spells if unarmoured. I'll get around to it if I can find a suitably adventurer-looking clothing set somewhere - not a fan of robes on a not-pure-mage type, and the Nexus's output in regards to custom clothing is... eurgh.

I'm running a character like that and it is pretty fun. I can't say enough good things about SPERG.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Edit: nevermind

Lid fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Dec 9, 2013

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Dr Snofeld posted:

A character concept I've wanted to try a few times, but never quite gotten around to doing, is an unarmed and unarmoured adventurer. Walk into a ruin with nothing but the clothes on my back and a knife, and when trouble starts, wham, summon a lackey, armour spell, bound weapon and shield. SPERG makes this concept work even better with its improvements to bound weapons, wards and the Alteration perk that boosts armour spells if unarmoured.

Tarq posted:

I'm running a character like that and it is pretty fun. I can't say enough good things about SPERG.

You know, I once tried to run something like this in vanilla and got completely destroyed in like 5 minutes, but since I just finished downloading skyrim (again) and just got SPERG, I think I may give this another try.

I'm still running through recommended mods and installing stuff, but I'll give it a try as soon as I'm happy with my mod loadout.

Speaking of, is there a torrent for TPC? The one linked in the OP is not working.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Edmond Dantes posted:

You know, I once tried to run something like this in vanilla and got completely destroyed in like 5 minutes, but since I just finished downloading skyrim (again) and just got SPERG, I think I may give this another try.

I'm still running through recommended mods and installing stuff, but I'll give it a try as soon as I'm happy with my mod loadout.

Speaking of, is there a torrent for TPC? The one linked in the OP is not working.

That sort of play style is very possible, just make sure you spend your initial little bit of gold on conjuration and illusion spells. Fury + Sneak is basically the I Win button for levels 1-10.

Speaking of no armor playthroughs, can anyone recommend some warm-looking clothing mods? I have Immersive Armors of course, but everything that looks warm in there is light or heavy.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Started experimenting with these mods finally, mainly for making the graphics all pretty. I have two computers, one with a 660 Ti and 2 gigs of VRAM, and one a 560 Ti with 1 gig, and the performance difference between them is nuts, I think due to the VRAM gap. A full install of the texture pack combiner with CoT and Project ENB with everything turned on works OK-ish on the 660 (although frame rate gets in the low 20s/teens so I'll definitely have to turn off some features) but it just tanks horribly on the 560 with 1fps a lot of the time. Even after replacing textures with lower-quality variants I still had disappearing textures and 1fps frame rates at parts. At least those single frames per second look nice.

I'm looking forward to the next non-online Elder Scrolls game to see how far the base game takes things, and then see how far the graphics modders ramp that up.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

kedo posted:

That sort of play style is very possible, just make sure you spend your initial little bit of gold on conjuration and illusion spells. Fury + Sneak is basically the I Win button for levels 1-10.
Ah yes, I used the Fury extensively when playing my sneaky assassin type. Always fun performing an assassination without even firing an arrow. :allears:

Quick question about the mod organizer, after installing the mod and checking it on the left panel, do I need to fiddle with the "Plugins" tab? Because there's a whole lot of unchecked stuff in there.

Also, is there a way to just let the program do an "automatic load order" in there? So far the only change I've made was put Static Mesh at the top because the game was crashing, but everything else pretty much loads in the order I downloaded the mod.

Tarq
Apr 25, 2008

by Ralp

Edmond Dantes posted:

The trick to making this work is getting Alteration high enough to use the good armor spells and to get the perk that multiplies the bonus and makes the armor spells permanent. I cheated a bit and used heavy armor for the first few levels so I could absorb some hits, but by the time I finished the mage guild quests I was rocking the Archmage cloth with no armor.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Edmond Dantes posted:

Also, is there a way to just let the program do an "automatic load order" in there? So far the only change I've made was put Static Mesh at the top because the game was crashing, but everything else pretty much loads in the order I downloaded the mod.

Download BOSS (linked in the OP) and run that. It downloads a master mod list, which is ordered for maximum compatability, and sorts your mods based on that. In almost every circumstance it will do the trick. Works for Oblivion, Fallout 3 and New Vegas too.

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

Edmond Dantes posted:

Quick question about the mod organizer, after installing the mod and checking it on the left panel, do I need to fiddle with the "Plugins" tab? Because there's a whole lot of unchecked stuff in there.

Yes you need to activate them on the right side too. The left side is what MO shows to skyrim, the right side is what skyrim loads.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Dr Snofeld posted:

Download BOSS (linked in the OP) and run that. It downloads a master mod list, which is ordered for maximum compatability, and sorts your mods based on that. In almost every circumstance it will do the trick. Works for Oblivion, Fallout 3 and New Vegas too.

Cheers, I'll give that a try.

/edit: I ran BOSS and it sorted the .esp .esm files on the right (plugins tab), but the mod list on the left was unaffected, should it have been?

LtSmash posted:

Yes you need to activate them on the right side too. The left side is what MO shows to skyrim, the right side is what skyrim loads.

Yeah, it actually did that on its own, when I went to enable the ones that hadn't been enabled already, it was because I needed base files (mostly DLC, some other mod compatibility ones).

Edmond Dantes fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Dec 9, 2013

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
What do I have to change in the MO shortcut for BOSS to have it sort for Skyrim every time, instead of asking for New Vegas/Fallout3/Oblivion?

Also I was poking around in the enb INI files and found some things related to borderless fullscreen windowed mode - is this the best method for that? Right now I'm using OneTweak or something that does the same thing.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Edmond Dantes posted:

/edit: I ran BOSS and it sorted the .esp .esm files on the right (plugins tab), but the mod list on the left was unaffected, should it have been?.

It's the order of the plugins that's important, since it's those that Skyrim actually reads. The .fomod (or whatever it is for Skyrim) files are more like installers for mods.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

Edmond Dantes posted:

/edit: I ran BOSS and it sorted the .esp .esm files on the right (plugins tab), but the mod list on the left was unaffected, should it have been?

The order on the left side mostly matters if you have multiple texture / sound / mesh mods. One example of an exception is that you want to have SPERG after the Uncapper if you want to use SPERG's uncapper settings, but in general things that add new things or change game settings don't overwrite each other's files and the ordering is handled with BOSS.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Dr Snofeld posted:

It's the order of the plugins that's important, since it's those that Skyrim actually reads. The .fomod (or whatever it is for Skyrim) files are more like installers for mods.

Hamburger Test posted:

The order on the left side mostly matters if you have multiple texture / sound / mesh mods. One example of an exception is that you want to have SPERG after the Uncapper if you want to use SPERG's uncapper settings, but in general things that add new things or change game settings don't overwrite each other's files and the ordering is handled with BOSS.

Thanks again, I think I managed to get most of what I wanted working, I'll double check the uncapper/sperg thing so I don't end up utterly overpowered, and it looks like I'm having a bit of an issue with the "dagger hip sheathe" animation; and then... I guess then I'll just play the game. :v:

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

Edmond Dantes posted:

Thanks again, I think I managed to get most of what I wanted working, I'll double check the uncapper/sperg thing so I don't end up utterly overpowered, and it looks like I'm having a bit of an issue with the "dagger hip sheathe" animation; and then... I guess then I'll just play the game. :v:
Assuming you've sorted the left side for priority, the thing to watch out for is a lightning bolt icon by the mod's name in the left pane. If the lightning bolt has a plus, that mod is overwriting an earlier mod, if it has a minus it's being overwritten by a later mod and if the lightning bolt is greyed out that entire mod is being overwritten. Then you can go into the mod's info via right click and the Conflicts tab will show you a list of every file in conflict and which other mod is providing them, so you can move those mods around to make sure the correct mod ends up last.

If that lightning bolt is not present then where that mod is on the left side shouldn't matter.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Absolutely not :colbert: You don't get to play the game until you break scripts so hard it crashes every ten minutes. Then back to playing with mods to fix it.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Threep posted:

Assuming you've sorted the left side for priority, the thing to watch out for is a lightning bolt icon by the mod's name in the left pane.

Yeah, I noticed that but I have no idea which mods shouls "overwrite" others, apart from the SPERG/uncap one (which I read here), so I just leave BOSS to do its work; so far it seems to be working.

Strategic Tea posted:

Absolutely not :colbert: You don't get to play the game until you break scripts so hard it crashes every ten minutes. Then back to playing with mods to fix it.

I'll get it to work perfectly, then uninstall and do the same with Morrowind. :getin:

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

Could anyone throw this mod from the OP up on hosting somewhere? Weather Patch for CoT - Fog and Overcast Weathers Specifically, the version that's compatible with Supreme Storms.

The author has it hidden, saying he's updating it, which is a great reason to hide it boy howdy. :rolleye:

\/\/\/ :whatup:

Luceo fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Dec 9, 2013

Piekuuns
May 15, 2009
Does anyone have a spare Weather Patch for CoT - Fog and Overcast Weathers laying around and are willing to rehost it? The nexus link for it is down.

Edit: beaten by a minute

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
So y'all know any mods that make being a vampire/vampire lord better? Because it's fun and all, but being a vampire doesn't do much for ya.

Praetorian Mage
Feb 16, 2008
The two big vampire mods are Better Vampires and Belua Sanguinare Revisited. Between the two, Belua Sanguinare is more hardcore; it's supposed to make being a vampire a game unto itself. Better Vampires is more casual and just adds some cool stuff. Both let you actually be damaged by the sun instead of just taking a hit to your attributes and losing regeneration. They also allow you to reverse the progression system so that you actually get stronger the more you feed, which I definitely prefer. Royal Bloodline is another mod specifically for the Vampire Lord form. I haven't tried it, so I can't make any judgement, but it's got a lot of endorsements and it looks like it adds a lot of stuff. Apparently it also allows you to actually fly, instead of just hovering six inches above the ground. The creator of Better Vampires also released a compatibility patch for it. Also, if you think it's stupid that Vampire Lords take fall damage when flying, there's a mod called No Flying Fall Damage that fixes that.

Edit: Forgot a few things. You'll probably also want the Vampire Lord Collision Fix, which shrinks the VL model slightly so that you don't get stuck on doorways and such. There's also Vampire Lords can Loot and Activate, but I think that functionality might already be included in the two overhauls.

Praetorian Mage fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Dec 10, 2013

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Is there a vampire mod like that werewolf one that supposedly had the condition spreading among people like a virus and tracked infected NPCs and dispatched hunters and stuff or was that not great anyway?

Ok.
vv

Super No Vacancy fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Dec 10, 2013

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.
I don't like alternate form things at all. They just feel weird and the forced third person really puts me off.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

So is there a hidden gem of a draw/attack animation fix for bows? The hunched over forward janky bow animations are killing me here. I'm stuck using a crossbow on my archer because I can't stand how awkward bows look.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Luceo posted:

Could anyone throw this mod from the OP up on hosting somewhere? Weather Patch for CoT - Fog and Overcast Weathers Specifically, the version that's compatible with Supreme Storms.

The author has it hidden, saying he's updating it, which is a great reason to hide it boy howdy. :rolleye:

\/\/\/ :whatup:

Looks like it is back up and now supersedes those other patches that were floating around, good on the authors of this mod

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

Gyshall posted:

Looks like it is back up and now supersedes those other patches that were floating around, good on the authors of this mod

Great, thanks!

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Gyshall posted:

Ok this looks hella awesome. What's your setup?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I assume this the thread to ask this. I just got this for free a few days ago and I've already ran into an annoying graphics problem. I'm just playing it pure vanilla even without the HD pack. The issue I'm having is all the torches in the opening catacombs have this staticy snow around them. I nuked all the graphics to the lowest I can in the options and its still there. I actually had a similar lighting problem in Dishonored but there was an option to disable it so the snow disappeared, is there anyway to do the same for Skyrim or I am just boned?

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Accordion Man posted:

I assume this the thread to ask this. I just got this for free a few days ago and I've already ran into an annoying graphics problem. I'm just playing it pure vanilla even without the HD pack. The issue I'm having is all the torches in the opening catacombs have this staticy snow around them. I nuked all the graphics to the lowest I can in the options and its still there. I actually had a similar lighting problem in Dishonored but there was an option to disable it so the snow disappeared, is there anyway to do the same for Skyrim or I am just boned?

You got a screenshot? Also please post your system specs, it might be a GPU issue.

Mod Talk: Have some Horker Weapons
Definitely gonna give these a whirl, considering I have over 500 Horker Tusks sitting in my craft chest.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Is there a way within MO to have multiple values in a particular mod's INI? It seems to track Skyrim.ini between profiles, but not e.g. SKSE_Elys_Uncapper.ini.

Can I install a duplicate of a mod safely, and enable different versions in different profiles? Is that the only or best way to accomplish this?

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

kaschei posted:

Is there a way within MO to have multiple values in a particular mod's INI? It seems to track Skyrim.ini between profiles, but not e.g. SKSE_Elys_Uncapper.ini.

Can I install a duplicate of a mod safely, and enable different versions in different profiles? Is that the only or best way to accomplish this?

The best thing I can suggest is making a separate INI file for each different profile and activate the proper one per profile. Other than that I'm not too sure.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

How... do I do that? I've been rightclicking things in the data tab looking for anything promising and that's about the limit of my familiarity with MO.

edit: also if it's possible to choose a profile and execute SKSE through a MO shortcut that would be super to know

kaschei fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Dec 10, 2013

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

When (that's no) moon hits this guy like a big Twi'lek guy: Liberatore!
Installing a duplicate of the mod works fine for this. Just name it something different.

Alternatively, create a new mod and put the .ini file in the proper location in its folder, then activate both mods for one profile and only the original for the other. I'm not sure if this works with the Uncapper, though.

Edit: There's no reason to do this for SKSE_Elys_Uncapper.ini, though. Just create duplicates of the Uncapper with different ini files, as it's a just a tiny SKSE plugin.

Liberatore fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Dec 10, 2013

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Scyantific posted:

Ok this looks hella awesome. What's your setup?

Not mine, but that is right from the COT patches page. I think that is the "Fog" preset.

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

Is there a consensus on the best "drastically changes the game" mod? After my first play through, I still have the itch for more Skyrim but I want something very different than what I just did. Is there any mods/few mod combos that give you a very different experience going through?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Baldbeard posted:

Is there a consensus on the best "drastically changes the game" mod? After my first play through, I still have the itch for more Skyrim but I want something very different than what I just did. Is there any mods/few mod combos that give you a very different experience going through?

A good combination of Frostfall, Sperg, and Realistic needs & diseases might be right up your ally.

• Locked thread