Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005

kru posted:

Check out this guy!

Also, riots in Singapore!

riot, you mean! for about an hour. Say what you will but man, the cops crack down *hard*.

thanks for all the advice, i relayed that to them. It's their first time "backpacking" (wtf, bangkok?) and they had a little freak out when their hotel was .. booked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Yeah I'm not sure you can actually legitimately backpack Bangkok anymore, heh. There's a skytrain, a subway, an airport rail link, two airports and you can buy a Lamborghini at the mall.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.

kru posted:

Check out this guy!

Also, riots in Singapore!

Watching some English news channel to see if anything interesting had happened in Bangkok, but it was all about the Singapore riots. Which is to say Racism: Bigoted Opinions on Immigrants.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Thailand: There's No Time For Democracy!

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel
So correct me if I am wrong, but the Yellow shirts want to remove the government and enact an unelected "people's council" of some sort because they know they will lose again in the election?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
If your friends are either good looking or sociable they can try couch surfing. or air bnb. Room roulette is the cheapest I suppose but it can't be such a drag. Coming from the developed world, Thailand should still be very affordable.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

Cheesemaster200 posted:

So correct me if I am wrong, but the Yellow shirts want to remove the government and enact an unelected "people's council" of some sort because they know they will lose again in the election?

Basically yes. Their position is that the Reds are defying the constitution (because Thaksin isn't in jail) and so in order to save the rule of law they must suspend the rule of law and should be appointed as a ruling oligarchy for the duration of the emergency. There's pretty much no way they can win the election and they probably know it. It also doesn't look the military is willing to step in again to give them what they want (at least not yet) so it's a question of whether they cave now and do their best to at least increase their representation or double down and try to delegitimise these elections by refusing to take part.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
All of that is accompanied by a lot of infuriating posts by your Yellow friends on Facebook.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel
"That may not stop Mr. Suthep and the Democrats. Most remarkable about the current situation is their capacity for self-delusion. They dismiss anyone who supports the government as either ignorant or in the pay of Ms. Yingluck and her brother, former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra. Mr. Suthep said on Monday that there is no room for compromise with his enemies, no middle ground between good and evil."

I feel this is like a large scale D&D thread.....

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
That's a pretty accurate description. The opinion piece someone posted by that Nation guy summed it up pretty well. We do have a D&D thread on the topic where Nemo and I, and occasionally CronoGamer, MothraAttack and a few others, pop in between Philippines and Singapore discussions to post something about Thailand:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3490581&pagenumber=30#lastpost

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

I like politics, unfortunately politics for most people in Malaysia doesn't seem to go beyond, 'we are a great multicultural society with no problems. Although if I was going to change something it would be to remove all these laws that give other races great advantages over us. Also don't trust Indians.' At least my coworkers are all pretty reasonable.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
That's the line I got from Malays I've talked to down there, but the Chinese are pretty acidic in my insanely limited experience. They're always like one good provocation away from a thirty minute rant about Malays. I've not yet successfully gotten an ethnic Indian Malaysian person living there to talk politics, though I have a friend here who will talk about it sometimes if I ask her. I assume they have similar feelings to the Chinese, but I really don't know.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Dec 10, 2013

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found
Anecdote: None of my Malay friends are practicing Muslims outside Malaysia. They only do it there because it's kinda mandatory for them.

One guy spends six months there, six months here in Australia. The first thing he does when he gets back here is invite us all over for a pig on a spit, washed down with plenty of booze. I guess it's his way to get the cravings out of his system.

Tomato Soup
Jan 16, 2006

One of my Chinese Malaysian friends went to Siem Reap and she was so excited about how easy it was to get bacon there. Kept texting me about it :v:

"oh my god bacon is everywhere"
"it's so cheap too"
"but the ice cream here is so expensive"

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Yeah, that's true. When Malaysian Chinese businesspeople come on trips to Thailand they go bonkers on the pork. It's pretty entertaining. Bangkok really doesn't do it as well as the Chinese in Southern Thailand do it either, so it's a shame that they have it here, but it can still be pretty good. Moo yang, not so much, but real moo daeng is available if you know where to look - and BACON.

You should tell her about bacon soap and bacon flavored condoms and things. Probably flip her lid heh.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.
I'm so wary of bacon, now. Usually it looks right from a distance, seems a bit rubbery close up, then tastes like... nothing recognizable as bacon. It's a bit like the the bread, actually. It passes a casual inspection then tastes like nothing. Or the chocolate, where it looks right and then tastes all weird.

Happy to be back in Bangkok. I probably just wasn't persistent enough exploring Chiang Mai, but what I saw utterly failed to impress me. The night market is the same night market everywhere else in SE Asia has, and the Sunday Walking Street was too crowded to breathe much less shop... and half the stuff was clearly sweatshop garbage anyway.

cadenza
Dec 25, 2006

integrity
Hello chaps. I'm finally leaving on my trip in January, and after stopping off in India to visit a relative for a week or two I'm going to head east again to start seeing SEA. I guess I have a couple of questions:

1. Will anyone be in Bangkok in February?

2. How common is the "head north through Thailand, then East across Laos, then south down the Vietnamese coast, then west through Cambodia, then south along the gulf coast of Thailand towards Malaysia/Indonesia/Singapore" route? I mean, will I be encountering people along the way who are going in this general direction? Or am I going against the more common backpacking routes?

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Pixelante posted:

I'm so wary of bacon, now. Usually it looks right from a distance, seems a bit rubbery close up, then tastes like... nothing recognizable as bacon. It's a bit like the the bread, actually. It passes a casual inspection then tastes like nothing. Or the chocolate, where it looks right and then tastes all weird.
Yeah, you need to go to somewhere specifically catering to Western tastes to get it right. Thai people typically serve just plain pork belly as bacon, while smoked bacon like we eat is available, but more expensive. If you go to any five star hotel or any decent American or European place you'll get the real thing and pay for it. Personally, I like Bourbon Street, but most of the proper pubs do a good breakfast with excellent bacon. There used to be a killer French joint next to Sala Daeng, but it closed a while back. They had an awesome French country breakfast.

Tomato Soup
Jan 16, 2006

cadenza posted:

2. How common is the "head north through Thailand, then East across Laos, then south down the Vietnamese coast, then west through Cambodia, then south along the gulf coast of Thailand towards Malaysia/Indonesia/Singapore" route? I mean, will I be encountering people along the way who are going in this general direction? Or am I going against the more common backpacking routes?

That's a pretty popular route. I went the opposite way and there were a lot of people going in the other direction (the one you listed) but I did run into a guy I met in Nha Trang in Vientiane a month later then I ran into a girl I met in Chiang Mai in Koh Tao later and I just met up with someone I met in Miri for a dinner in Siem Reap. So basically if you travel long enough you'll run into people you've met before.

And gently caress, I'm still sick :cripes:

xcdude24
Dec 23, 2008

Pixelante posted:

Happy to be back in Bangkok. I probably just wasn't persistent enough exploring Chiang Mai, but what I saw utterly failed to impress me. The night market is the same night market everywhere else in SE Asia has, and the Sunday Walking Street was too crowded to breathe much less shop... and half the stuff was clearly sweatshop garbage anyway.

For real bread, get down to Saigon, where it's also cheap as hell

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

pfft there's a guesthouse up north in a little town near Chiang Rai that has rooms for 50 baht/day :smugdog:

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
LUXURY.

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

xcdude24 posted:

For real bread, get down to Saigon, where it's also cheap as hell

oops you were talking about actual bread and I just instantly interpreted it as poorer-than-thou backpackerspeak. sorry!

Tomato Soup
Jan 16, 2006

I almost forgot that bread had a flavor until I returned to Saigon. Vietnam really needs to teach the rest of SEA how to make proper bread.

I have a doctor's appointment booked 5 hours after I land in the states. Should be fun. :suicide:

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Phnom Penh, capital of another former French colony, can make it. I've had some okay bread in Vientiane as well, but haven't spent as much time there.

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working
Actually the bread in Vietnam is poo poo, but that's because I'm used to the real :france: baguettes. It's still better than any bread elsewhere in Asia though.

Barfolemew
Dec 5, 2011

Non Serviam
I'm pretty sure the flavour comes from all the exhausts :D It was pretty good tho, hanoi had street vendors with grilled "something" with bread.

edit: 90% sure it was chicken.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
My respect for the culinary tastes and eating behaviors of our Vietnam supporters are somewhat suspect due to the continuing revelations that no one actually knows what is in whatever they're eating, heh.

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working
It's goat tits, always.

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

dog, duh

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Either/or.

Horatius Bonar
Sep 8, 2011

I came to Vietnam for the bread and coffee. I missed that poo poo.

Dog doesn't even taste good. I don't get the deal with it. Is it just chihuahua that's tasteless or all of it?

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

Horatius Bonar posted:

Dog doesn't even taste good. I don't get the deal with it. Is it just chihuahua that's tasteless or all of it?

I had dog in Korea, back when they still ate dog - even then, it was really rare and only eaten by old people (I went with my grandma). It was suuuuuuuuper succulent and tender, kinda like slow roasted pork but more succulent/tender and more flavorful, although less fatty. I heard later that they beat the dogs to death because the meat is more tender that way. :(

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Generally speaking, you want to kill an animal instantly to prevent it from releasing all the stuff that makes it tighten up and go bitter. Then you want to age it a bit. Part of the reason beef sucks around these parts is that they slaughter and take it straight to market. Maybe dogs are different, I dunno. Anyway, good beef needs to be aged a while for various things to happen.

Fortunately the only secret ingredient to bread is French colonial history (i.e. not being Thai).

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Horatius Bonar posted:

According to wild rumor (and possibly the Korea thread) the old school Koreans would beat the poo poo out of food dogs before killing them because it tastes different. The degree of tenderness of all meats really depends more on how it's cut and cooked than the sourcing.

The only times I've had someone try to get me to eat dog I caught them at it and didn't. Not that I have strong opinions about dog eating. Maybe I'm like 1/10th British or something because I'm pretty sure I started getting hard when I detected that A Foreigner was possibly trying to trick me. An angry semi.

raton fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Dec 10, 2013

Horatius Bonar
Sep 8, 2011

eviljelly posted:

I had dog in Korea, back when they still ate dog - even then, it was really rare and only eaten by old people (I went with my grandma). It was suuuuuuuuper succulent and tender, kinda like slow roasted pork but more succulent/tender and more flavorful, although less fatty. I heard later that they beat the dogs to death because the meat is more tender that way. :(

The stuff I had was dry like overcooked pork, and yeah not fatty. I guess that means at least my little guy wasn't beaten to death because I wouldn't describe it as succulent.

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK
edit: scratch that.

Who lives in PP again? How much are santa hats selling for down there? I was there the other day and saw some but didn't check prices.

I need more.

duckmaster fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Dec 11, 2013

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Hahaha. You're the Jim Thompson of santa hats in Cambodia.

EDIT: Don't go hiking alone in the jungle.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Dec 11, 2013

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

So, what's the worthwhile tourist stuff to see/do in Bangkok? I've got two nights left in a dingy hotel across from Silom Centre. Anyone wanna grab a beer with a Canadian? (Roughly same offer applies in Saigon from the 14th to 17th, and Siem Reap 17th-21st.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tytan
Sep 17, 2011

u wot m8?

duckmaster posted:

edit: scratch that.

Who lives in PP again? How much are santa hats selling for down there? I was there the other day and saw some but didn't check prices.

I need more.

And where was the beer invite? :colbert:

Yeah there's tonnes of shops and roadside stalls selling them. If I happen to wander by one tomorrow I'll do a price check.