Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

chaos rhames posted:

Dangan ronpa is not actually real, but rather a work of fiction.

I've read a lot about Japan on the Internet and this game seems pretty legit. Source?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
I think we're missing the real problem, how will anyone suspend their disbelief if Nidai dies from anything normal now?

tentawesome
May 14, 2010

Please don't troll me online

Captain Oblivious posted:

I think we're missing the real problem, how will anyone suspend their disbelief if Nidai dies from anything normal now?

No lie, if Nidai dies like the kid from A Separate Peace (breaking his leg and having the lovely school doctor send bone marrow to his heart) I would die of laughter.

TKMobile
Apr 30, 2009
Huh. Well, that update actually answered my question, but I suppose charging the evil little robot controlling the bigger deathier robots in a fight to the finish would technically count as excessive violence, breaking rule #1 that W.T. Fits pointed out...

Although, I'm more impressed by Saionji's development here than Nekomaru being able to loving survive a bazooka attack. I like how they have a character learn the right lesson, sort of, with Koizumi, but then have the same character learn the wrong one from this instant. Back when Sakura sacrificed herself, everybody sobered up to the situation at hand and were determined to stick it to the Mono-Man, as it were, but here, it's looking like it won't be that easy.

Kudos to the writers on that one. However, Nekomaru and once again Mikan are now targets if anybody wants an easy victi--

Wait a minute...

...Where were Gundam and Ibuki during all this?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Wyvernil posted:

Though he is kind of a Schrodinger's Nekomaru at the moment - we won't know for sure whether he's alive or dead until we see him again.
How fitting, then, that it happens to the guy with "neko" (cat) in his name.

Also seriously holy poo poo Saionji did you misunderstand everything. You're meant to stay together to survive, not the exact opposite! I'm calling it, she won't kill anyone, nor get killed. I mean, Togami survived with that ideology (and died when he lost it), so...

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
So why does Owari get a pass even though she broke the rules?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Brony Hunter posted:

I know the first game had Sakura the super-wrestler who was a little over the top, power wise, but having Nidai apparently tank a bazooka blast to the chest utterly destroys my suspension of disbelief.

Bullets can't piece spirit!

Who What Now posted:

So why does Owari get a pass even though she broke the rules?

So she can live with the despair of her buddy lying in that creepy hospital getting operated on by a crazy robot bear?

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
Interesting that Monobear yet again complied with the rules once reminded of them. Probably because it suits his own interests, though. He doesn't want to see anyone die from anything other than being murdered by one of their classmates or executed.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Spatula City posted:

Interesting that Monobear yet again complied with the rules once reminded of them. Probably because it suits his own interests, though. He doesn't want to see anyone die from anything other than being murdered by one of their classmates or executed.

I agree. It's an interesting trend, but I'm gonna need more evidence of what he's up to/not up to before I assume that he's doing anything other than what he'll get the most amusement/inflict the more despair with long-term.

Apollove
May 31, 2013
So what is Nidai just going to come back with a big eyepatch over his body wound?

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I think Saionji isn't completely incorrect here. I'm glad she called Oowari out.

When a stupid weak girl like you acts without thinking, you aren’t just hurting yourself.

Nidai's injury is not the same as Sakura killing herself. Oowari purposefully did a terribly dumb thing, a thing that was against the rules, something that Nidai specifically told her was a bad idea and a dumb thing to do. Because she was so self-absorbed, she went ahead and did it anyway, and because of that, Nidai nearly died.

It's one thing to get yourself killed because of stupidity and pride, but getting an innocent bystander killed is not acceptable behavior, it's certainly not working well in a group. Oowari is not the only one with weak points that could make them a danger to others, so Saionji is right on that point too.

FlamingRok
Jan 14, 2013

The ultimate power is clearly roses.

Apollove posted:

So what is Nidai just going to come back with a big eyepatch over his body wound?

I don't think an eyepatch would be able to fix an injury like Nidai's. He's going to need something much more serious than an eyepatch.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

FlamingRok posted:

I don't think an eyepatch would be able to fix an injury like Nidai's. He's going to need something much more serious than an eyepatch.

He'll have lightning arcing constantly out of the wound in his chest.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I think Saionji isn't completely incorrect here. I'm glad she called Oowari out.

When a stupid weak girl like you acts without thinking, you aren’t just hurting yourself.

Nidai's injury is not the same as Sakura killing herself. Oowari purposefully did a terribly dumb thing, a thing that was against the rules, something that Nidai specifically told her was a bad idea and a dumb thing to do. Because she was so self-absorbed, she went ahead and did it anyway, and because of that, Nidai nearly died.

It's one thing to get yourself killed because of stupidity and pride, but getting an innocent bystander killed is not acceptable behavior, it's certainly not working well in a group. Oowari is not the only one with weak points that could make them a danger to others, so Saionji is right on that point too.

In Owari's defense, she clearly didn't intend for Nidai or anyone else to get involved here. Not only did she not tell anyone what she was doing, she also picked a time where everyone else was already occupied.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Neddy Seagoon posted:

He'll have lightning arcing constantly out of the wound in his chest.

Will we finally get the cyborg character DR2 so desperately needs?

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Blaze Dragon posted:

How fitting, then, that it happens to the guy with "neko" (cat) in his name.

Hey, someone got my joke! :yotj:

FlamingRok posted:

Maybe we'll get a bandaged mummy Nidai with lightning eyes.

With the chains that he usually wears around his neck, maybe he'll get mistaken for a ghost. Perhaps the real murder in this chapter will be another locked room mystery, and some genius will get the idea to accuse Nidai of being a ghost murderer. :ghost:

Bonus points if it's Gundam who sees him walking around, and we get to try and filter out what he actually saw from his usual weirdness.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

It's Chapter Three so it's time for another robot. Nidai is turned into RoboCop, but is found dead at the bottom of a stairwell.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I... I just want a Cyborg Nidai. He can power himself with the lightning from his eyebrows.

Apollove
May 31, 2013

C. Everett Koop posted:

It's Chapter Three so it's time for another robot. Nidai is turned into RoboCop, but is found dead at the bottom of a stairwell.

Mechamaru Nidai? That's literally the only pun I can think of. Wait why the gently caress are we assuming he's going to become a robot. There's no proof of that. He could just be bandaged up like how Monobear bandaged Kuzuryuu

CaptainFish
Mar 31, 2011

It's Psy-Crow my mortal Enemy! I swear my soily vengeance upon him and his fowl ilk!

C. Everett Koop posted:

So he gets turned into ED-209 instead?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Apollove posted:

Mechamaru Nidai? That's literally the only pun I can think of. Wait why the gently caress are we assuming he's going to become a robot. There's no proof of that. He could just be bandaged up like how Monobear bandaged Kuzuryuu
If Nidai actually does become a robot, I think that goes beyond the realm of "clever guess" towards "someone is deliberately steering the thread towards spoilertown".

Hey we'll see though.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

Spatula City posted:

Well his whole deal is that his win condition is "everyone starts thinking like Saionji". If he's too unpredictable and inconsistent, then everyone takes a small bit of comfort in their last moments because their death was caused by a bloodthirsty madman who made inscrutable rules and babbled on about despair, and none of their actions actually had a meaningful impact on who lived or died. If he follows a pattern they can track (even if the individual elements of that pattern don't totally make sense), then in Monobear's ideal ending everyone thinks that people are fundamentally terrible and untrustworthy and they all died because they were stuck in a situation that they could have fixed if they weren't too weak to succumb to their true natures, and Despair Wins.

Tomato Soup
Jan 16, 2006

I vaguely recall someone mentioning a Dangan Ronpa shop in Akihabara in this thread a while ago and I've got a 10 hour layover in Tokyo this week and I plan on heading into the city to shop a bit and I'd really like to pick up some Monobear merch. Is that shop still around? Any suggestions on which shops to hit up if it's not (probably not)? I've got limited time and I have other spots that I want to visit so I don't want to spend too much time wandering around Akihabara looking for stuff. I googled a little but I'm too afraid to google for more detail because spoilers :ohdear:

I just really want a Monobear plushie or hoodie or Junko hairclips :3:

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Tomato Soup posted:

I vaguely recall someone mentioning a Dangan Ronpa shop in Akihabara in this thread a while ago and I've got a 10 hour layover in Tokyo this week and I plan on heading into the city to shop a bit and I'd really like to pick up some Monobear merch. Is that shop still around? Any suggestions on which shops to hit up if it's not (probably not)? I've got limited time and I have other spots that I want to visit so I don't want to spend too much time wandering around Akihabara looking for stuff. I googled a little but I'm too afraid to google for more detail because spoilers :ohdear:

I just really want a Monobear plushie or hoodie or Junko hairclips :3:

All Dangan Ronpa shops are pop-ups, and I'm not aware of any currently up in Tokyo. That said, I assure you you will have no problem at all finding a Monobear plush (or other DR merchandise) in Akihabara. Hey, I'm a 30 minute walk away from the place - I can point you to some personally if you let me know ahead of time when you'll be there (and I don't have any other plans that day).

Facetious Jim
Dec 13, 2009
Being a robot would be stupid. Nidai's whole schtick is that he is a big manly man whose manly as gently caress. If he suddenly becomes a robot then he wouldn't really be manly anymore. All of his feats of strength would just be assumed as natural because he's now a robot, instead of as holy gently caress that manly dude is insanely strong.

It is the difference between being a badass normal and being an obvious walking tank.

Tomato Soup
Jan 16, 2006

orenronen posted:

All Dangan Ronpa shops are pop-ups, and I'm not aware of any currently up in Tokyo. That said, I assure you you will have no problem at all finding a Monobear plush (or other DR merchandise) in Akihabara. Hey, I'm a 30 minute walk away from the place - I can point you to some personally if you let me know ahead of time when you'll be there (and I don't have any other plans that day).

I'll be there on Thursday, will be in Tokyo in morning to early afternoon. My flight gets in at 7:30 AM so I should be in Tokyo by 9:30-10 AM then I have to head back to the airport at 2-3 PM, depending on how much time I'll need at the airport before my flight out.

If you're available then, I can make Akihabara my first stop and PM or email you after I buy the Narita Express tickets so you know when to meet up while leeching the free wifi at the airport. I was just in Tokyo for a week in July (before I discovered this thread unfortunately) so I still remember how to get around a bit and some local landmarks.

Thank you so much! :neckbeard:

Reverend Cheddar
Nov 6, 2005

wriggle cat is happy
I can vouch for oren being a cool dude!

Also, he is not a bear.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

I'm betting Mr. Coach isn't making it out of the hospital. Someone's going to take their shot and pin it on Ms. Nurse.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

BlazeEmblem posted:

At least they acknowledged that they were doing this again - even complaining that Monobear was saying the same lines again.

The most interesting thing about this for me is Mikan's reactions in each of the times where a character has nearly died.

Kuzuryuu goes and gets a katana in the eye, and Mikan is determined to save him. She's on top of her game, trusting of her own skills and willing to give saving him the old super high-school try.

orenronen posted:

H...He's still breathing!
C...Can you save him?!
D...Do something! You can help him, right?!
I...I'll try!
But all this bleeding... I can’t stop it! His pulse... It’s getting weaker...!
Y...You gotta do something!
DAMMIT!!

Here, Nidai catches the rocket, and Mikan basically just sits there staring like everyone other than Owari, not even checking for a pulse/breathing until Owari points out "Hey, he's still alive".

orenronen posted:

W...Wait...
His heart's still beating... just barely, but still...!
He's not dead yet!

Fueh... he isn't?!

Mikan's starting to lose something, and I can only think that the reason for the highly similar "death/treatment" scenes is an over-the-top way to call into focus the differences between them.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Reverend Cheddar posted:

Also, he is not a bear.

Thanks for the unmarked spoilers, rear end in a top hat <:mad:>

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.
[redacted]

Skunkrocker fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Feb 18, 2014

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Kytrarewn posted:

The most interesting thing about this for me is Mikan's reactions in each of the times where a character has nearly died.

Kuzuryuu goes and gets a katana in the eye, and Mikan is determined to save him. She's on top of her game, trusting of her own skills and willing to give saving him the old super high-school try.

Here, Nidai catches the rocket, and Mikan basically just sits there staring like everyone other than Owari, not even checking for a pulse/breathing until Owari points out "Hey, he's still alive".

Mikan's starting to lose something, and I can only think that the reason for the highly similar "death/treatment" scenes is an over-the-top way to call into focus the differences between them.

Yeah uh, if someone was hit by a rocket and they weren't spread all over the beach I think that's worth at least a pause.

VladTheEater
Dec 30, 2008

Ahhhhhh, fresh meat.

Reverend Cheddar posted:

Also, he is not a bear.

Okay, Nidai tanking a bazooka blast to the chest I'm okay with but THIS utterly destroys my suspension of disbelief.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

Reverend Cheddar posted:

Also, he is not a bear.

Everything I thought I knew was a lie :smith:

of bees
Dec 28, 2009

Kytrarewn posted:

I think it's more that watching someone get stabbed isn't quite as traumatic as watching someone get shot by a rocket.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Brony Hunter posted:

I know the first game had Sakura the super-wrestler who was a little over the top, power wise, but having Nidai apparently tank a bazooka blast to the chest utterly destroys my suspension of disbelief.

Nidai has had lightning bolts for eyebrows since the first time we've seen him, and this is what kills it? Have you not been reading the updates or something?

edit: For grammar because I'm amazing at typing.

Luna Was Here fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Dec 11, 2013

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

I hope they keep pulling increasingly unlikely fakeouts about deaths to a ridiculous degree. Nagito gets an entire robotic left half of his body, Saionji's decapitated but revived on a Wolfenstein Mecha-Hitler body, Souda's a brain in a jar that communicates through morse code, etc.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Luna Was Here posted:

Nidai has had lightning bolts for eyebrows since the first time we've seen him, and this is what kills it? Have you not been reading the updates or something?

edit: For grammar because I'm amazing at typing.

Guys, there is no need to beat the dead horse anymore. The dude even acknowledges in his own post that it's not fully rational.

Most of us have completely arbitrary breaking points. Nothing to be done for it.

Apollo Justice
Apr 28, 2013

Believe me, any comic relief I may provide is entirely unintentional.
So going back to the update before last, was there some evidence of the VR theory?
There was a lot of emphasis on the fact that Owari couldn't even scratch Monobear and also Monobear mentioned that he was in a "different dimension entirely".
I'm not particularly sold on the VR theory but this seemed noteworthy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

Apollo Justice posted:

So going back to the update before last, was there some evidence of the VR theory?
There was a lot of emphasis on the fact that Owari couldn't even scratch Monobear and also Monobear mentioned that he was in a "different dimension entirely".
I'm not particularly sold on the VR theory but this seemed noteworthy.

When Monomi still had her magic stick thing, she seemed to be able to transport the kids from the class to the island magically, and she pulled something else strange in the farm at one point.

Peko said that she went for a swim but no matter how far she went she never reached the next island. Of course, that was the alibi she gave for the time of Koizumi's death, and we know it was false. Even so, personally I'm inclined to believe that the swim really did happen that way, just that the swim took place earlier than Peko claimed, because it's too bizarre a claim to be fake and she did seem to go swimming a lot.

Then, there's the fact that the Jabberwock Island they're on seems to not be in line with the Jabberwock Island in the brochure they found in terms of buildings. There was some speculation between Hinata and Sonia about it being an artificial island made to resemble Jabberwock Island, but that's something that would cost a vast amount of money.

I can't remember if there was anything else to support the VR theory.

• Locked thread