Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Frosty-
Jan 17, 2004

In war, you kill people in order to change their minds. Remember that; it's fuckin' important.
I just noticed this exhaust on eBay, tonight, and I'm wondering if other people think it's worth a stab. I should be able to keep my center stand with this, right? I don't mind the idea of pulling the pipes to get at the oil filter. I'm not dead set on getting an exhaust, but the price on this one is pretty cool.

The can looks a little hurt, but the headers seem fine – think it could clean up okay, or is it better to pass on this? I assume it would necessitate jet kit and that's kind of a pain in the rear end, but I'm up for it, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
The centerstand rests on the left pipe, which keeps it from retracting into the chain. If that Yoshimura exits on the left it might work.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
Info: http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Yoshimura_Full_Exhaust

Between the cost, condition, extra work with the jets (which you'd have to tune with an AFR wideband probe or take it to a dyno, otherwise you'd just make the bike run worse), and loud/bad sound (the Muzzy on my pregen sounded like rear end), I'd say avoid it.

Frosty-
Jan 17, 2004

In war, you kill people in order to change their minds. Remember that; it's fuckin' important.
Yeah, I'll probably pass it up, then.

i speak english!
Sep 20, 2004
I learn from the book! How are you?
A few small paperwork questions for those who changed engines in California:

Looking at the DMV website, it looks like engine change requires notifying DMV -- apparently within 10 days. If I go to the DMV, I assume I need to have a bill of sale (this is what the website says, although there is also a clause about bonds...)?

I bought an engine a few months ago, and didn't think to ask the guy to fill the bill of sale, or give me any kind of receipt (judging from bent forks and frame, it was likely from a crashed, rather than a stolen bike).
The engine was installed at that time as well, so I'm well past the 10 day deadline. Really didn't re-registering the engine was necessary.

My title is clean. Will this change if I report engine change to DMV?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
The DMV will have absolutely no idea what the gently caress to do if you show up and try and report that you've changed the engine on the bike. I have done many, many, many engine swaps, without ever notifying DMV. Most cops wouldn't know where to find the engine number, and none will ever check.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

I came home for the Holidays and took my Ninja 250 out. It worked perfectly fine last month during Thanksgiving. It turns over but wouldn't start. I ended up taking the carbs out and cleaning it. I also checked the spark plugs and checked the gap. I put everything back together and it still won't start. The difference now is that I can tell it wants to start now after cranking the engine. I'm charging the battery right now.

Is there anything else I should do? It's pretty cold outside, could that prevent it from starting?

edit: The exhaust is pumping out air and it seems like it wants to catch but it doesn't. Would it be the valves? I don't want to adjust the valves and have that not be the problem.

Rabid Snake fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Dec 27, 2013

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie
Charge the battery, be sure your fuel is switched to on, choke to full, and have a little patience. If it was running fine a month ago then the carbs and valves are fine now too.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Halo_4am posted:

Charge the battery, be sure your fuel is switched to on, choke to full, and have a little patience. If it was running fine a month ago then the carbs and valves are fine now too.

I ended up buying some starter fluid spray and with some patience it started up fine! I probably didn't even have to take out my carbs and clean them but oh well.

Debugario
Jun 11, 2009

Well, tonight I low sided my little ninja turning left through an intersection a bit too fast.

The left side foot peg and handle bar are broken but I'm alright. The gear is chewed up but I barely felt anything, even when I smacked into a guard rail and the bike slid into me.

Nothing left to do but fix her up and get back on. Any recommended places to get new foot pegs and handle bars?

tbb9
Sep 6, 2011
eBay, handlebars seem to be hard/expensive (comparatively) to find though....

Also glad you're ok

tbb9 fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Dec 31, 2013

M42
Nov 12, 2012

What part of the handlebar? The whole assembly is pretty expensive, yes. Good to hear you're relatively unscathed, though!

Debugario
Jun 11, 2009

It looks as though the bar itself (part number 46003) snapped, but there is also a bit of scratching around the bar end and the locknut adjuster for the clutch has also snapped.

Edit: so, after checking the bike out I learned that all the light switched still work and it starts fine :)

I already ordered the parts I need to fix it. Total cost is a little over $200, but over all not too bad.

Debugario fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Dec 31, 2013

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

So, I am looking at buying a 250 Ninja for a first bike.

Couple of questions:

I am 5' 11", 215#. Will it be able to haul my fat rear end around at 70mph for limited (<50 mile) distances? I don't have particularly long arms or legs, but will I still feel like I am on a clown bike?

Are there any years I should avoid? I don't want to buy a brand new one, but I see ones from 2002 or so and on at decent prices.

What is the price point where I would be getting ripped off on one? The bike market here sucks, and since shipping seems to only be ~$400 I may scour eBay for one, so that should be accounted for in the price.

Thanks!

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
I bought an 04 that was mildly crashed (missing bodywork, scrapes on the barends, bent handlebar, small tank dents) but mechanically sound. It had 7000 miles and I spent around $1,100. Took all the fairings off and stuck a round headlight on it and it runs great. No battery issues, valves and carbs seem fine, tank is clean inside, etc. I did have to replace both tires and the brake pads.

One of my local dealers had the exact same bike (silver 2004, 7k miles) with no damage for $2,500.

I'm 5'10/150 and have had the bike past 70mph a few times. It gets there relatively easily, and there's a bit more room if you want go faster. I did it accidentally on a long road next to a forest preserve in Chicago a couple of times, so it's not like the bike is straining to do 70.

While I was getting acclimated to riding (this particular bike and in general) I made some dumb mistakes with the clutch and with the brakes once or twice, and it's a very forgiving bike. My mom even rode it in big circles around a parking lot and had a great time.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

IuniusBrutus posted:

So, I am looking at buying a 250 Ninja for a first bike.

Couple of questions:

I am 5' 11", 215#. Will it be able to haul my fat rear end around at 70mph for limited (<50 mile) distances? I don't have particularly long arms or legs, but will I still feel like I am on a clown bike?

Are there any years I should avoid? I don't want to buy a brand new one, but I see ones from 2002 or so and on at decent prices.

What is the price point where I would be getting ripped off on one? The bike market here sucks, and since shipping seems to only be ~$400 I may scour eBay for one, so that should be accounted for in the price.

Thanks!

2008 newgen ninja owner here, but most of the answers will still apply for the pregen. I'm 6'1 195 lbs and it's fast enough. Power has been enough for just about everything, except for one instance riding on a high altitude mountain road. As for comfort, I do all day rides frequently and the only thing that gets sore is my rear end. A 50 mile highway commute will be fine.

I don't believe there are years to avoid, but based on your question in another thread I'd buy a running 2000-2007 pregen model. High miles is better than something that's sat around idle for years. It will depend on where you are located, but around here you could find one under $2000 during winter. I saw a 2003 in great condition here recently for $1500 - you just have to check CL daily.

Also, it's probably been said already but also look into Ninja 500 or the gs500 for an affordable commuter.

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008
Aim for less than $2,500 at a dealer or $2,000 person-to-person. That's for a perfect bike that needs nothing.
That's for a pre-2008 model.

Mine was $1300 off Craigslist, but needed a new rear tire and needed (still needs, sigh) a new front brake rotor. And the fairings are pretty rough.

Buying now will net you the same bike for much cheaper than 3 months from now - assuming it is winter where you are.

5'11", 165lbs, and the bike pulls just fine to an indicated 90 mph. Probably had more in it but would have taken a while to get there. Note that I said "indicated": the speedos on these bikes reportedly (and confirmed through those side-of-the-road signs) report 10% higher than it is actually traveling.

Size-wise I think you'll be fine, but go find a dealer and sit on one. If all they have are the new 300s, do keep in mind that those are a bit physically larger overall.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

captainOrbital posted:

While I was getting acclimated to riding (this particular bike and in general) I made some dumb mistakes with the clutch and with the brakes once or twice, and it's a very forgiving bike.

I can't agree with this enough. While still a noob rider, I stupidly downshifted hard while in a turn and the back wheel broke loose. Didn't crash and it righted itself quickly. A lot of bikes would have thrown me off if I did something like that on them.

Can you post a pic of your bike with no fairings and that headlight? Seems like it would look cool.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

I'm 6'2" 260 and my wr250x had no trouble. It was a bit slow up top but that's just the nature of the 250. You won't have any issues.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

hot sauce posted:

Can you post a pic of your bike with no fairings and that headlight? Seems like it would look cool.

Here's a recent-enough picture, before I took everything off and started wet-sanding the parts. I did lower the headlight a bit too, both down the forks and down in angle.

You can see some parts that are a bit tatty, like the front brake reservoir (I have a new cap for it from RonAyers, but I'm going to wait til I have to bleed the front brake again to replace it) and lever, and the bottom part of the fork leg. I also replaced the big old front fender with something from a website.

captainOrbital fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jan 3, 2014

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
That looks good. When I was bike shopping I kept an eye out for pregens with messed up plastics to do something like that.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
So the tires that came with my bike are going to be about 5 years old this spring. Low miles and decent tread, but they might need replacing soon from the PO letting it sit around. Anyone have any recommendations? I want to stick with the stock tire size for the 2008-2012 model (110 front 130 rear)

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Ninja250.org

This is what I used when I was looking at tars.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I just got the pirellis and they feel pretty good. Can't speak for the life.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Sounds about right, ninja250.org and all anecdotal evidence points to the Pirelli's or BT45s.

nsaP, how much was your pair? I've got a few months to watch for deals so I'm going to keep an eye on them.

tbb9
Sep 6, 2011
I've got pirellis on my bike and it's a huge improvement from riding my buddy's bike with stock tires

Corrupt Cypher
Jul 20, 2006
Thought you guys would like this, and seeing as this very thread helped me decide on the purchase of my bike I thought I should share. Last year I took my 250 ZZR from Guelph, Ontario to the northern tip of Newfoundland two up, with camping. Here's the bike loaded at the end of our journey:

http://i.imgur.com/TtpH5lp.jpg

http://goo.gl/maps/vv7Qp

The trip included 14km of dirt road in the mountains of Cape Breton to get to a phenomenal campsite called Meat Cove. The only other rider there had an 800GS.

The 250 Ninja can do anything!

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
That's awesome! What kind of bags are on the rear and what kind of camping equipment are you traveling with? I'm looking to do some camping this spring and still slowly gathering the things I'll need.

Corrupt Cypher
Jul 20, 2006
Camping equipment included:

-This tent fastened with straps to the rear passenger handhold
-Two thermarests
-A sheet
-Fleece blanket
-Headlamp
-Multitool
-Matches

You will notice there is no sleeping bags. That ended up being pretty crappy and the gf was somewhat miffed a few nights as a result (Northern Newfoundland is cold even in early July apparently!). That would be the only thing I'd add is to try and find a way to pack one of those.

The luggage is about as big as you can find that will fit the 250. I had about 2" of clearance against the exhausts on either side but they held A LOT. Motopak GTS-60's. They were perfect and we were actually able to fasten the thermarests to them using their buckles. We also had a massive tank bag which was invaluable.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Thanks for the list. Did you have any problems with the tent? I was looking at an affordable one like that this year to see if moto camping was for me, but have heard some bad things about Coleman products.

Corrupt Cypher
Jul 20, 2006

hot sauce posted:

Thanks for the list. Did you have any problems with the tent? I was looking at an affordable one like that this year to see if moto camping was for me, but have heard some bad things about Coleman products.

Yeah, it was totally fine. I would definitely recommend it. A good size for two people and gear for sure. My biggest thing was dimensions of the packed tent and I saw very little variance between the ones at high end outdoors stores and the Coleman.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

hot sauce posted:

Sounds about right, ninja250.org and all anecdotal evidence points to the Pirelli's or BT45s.

nsaP, how much was your pair? I've got a few months to watch for deals so I'm going to keep an eye on them.

Shop quoted me 225 for the set plus their install fees. It was the same or maybe even cheaper than online iirc. This was in August.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Anyone have a writeup on how to swap the dogbones on the pregen? Mine came lowered, and I wanna switch it back to stock. The wiki doesn't seem to have any articles on how to do it.

I'm such a fuckin idiot though. My bike's always been real tippy on the sidestand and I could never figure out why. It took almost a year to realize that while the bike's been lowered, the sidestand is still the stock length.

Holy poo poo, how do I even have the brain power to breathe and blink at the same time.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Loosen the dogbone bolts (you'll probably need 2 wrenches, one on each side), then get the rear wheel off the ground without lifting from the swingarm, linkage assembly, or rear wheel (centerstand will work if you still have it, otherwise, jack + sidestand), remove the dogbone bolts, remove dogbones, install stock ones, reinstall bolts, youre good to go. It can help to move the rear wheel through the range of motion to get the bolts installed, if you have a lot of difficulty, removing the upper or lower shock bolt (whichever is easier) will make it easier to line things up.

I think that covers it :)

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Oh sweet, that's a lot simpler than I thought. Thanks!

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
My bikes PO had it lowered, so I was planning on doing this in the Spring as well. Just need to get some stock dogbones. Did you just buy some stock ones on CL?

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Nah, the PO thankfully kept them.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

My pregen ninja seems to be eating spark plugs. The left spark plug keeps messing up causing my engine to lose half it's power. Replacing the left spark plug makes it work again. This is the second time the left spark plug fouled up in two months.

What causes this and how do I go about to fix it?

edit: pregen and not prefer.

I'm thinking it has to do something with the carbs because the spark plug was super black. I'm guessing it's running too lean and I hope it's not an oil problem.

Rabid Snake fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Feb 26, 2014

ButtFaceMcCrackin
Nov 6, 2004

You'll never get confused about which end to use!
Any chance you can get a picture of the fouled plug? Also how's it run after you switch to a new plug, any bogging or surging?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tbb9
Sep 6, 2011
would me being bad at adjusting my chain tension cause my rear brake to drag?

• Locked thread