Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

It's the Obariflag 15 seconds in that always gets me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

My favorite part is Tieria being replaced with a bald black dude.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

Endorph posted:

My favorite part is Tieria being replaced with a bald black dude.

Yeah, if you like radical changes, go find Astro Plan, there he's a girl, and hilarious.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I'm not sure what's more surprising, that someone has subbed Astro Plan, or that someone liked it. I thought it was supposed to be terrible in pretty much every way. I am taking /m/'s word on it though I guess.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

tsob posted:

I'm not sure what's more surprising, that someone has subbed Astro Plan, or that someone liked it. I thought it was supposed to be terrible in pretty much every way. I am taking /m/'s word on it though I guess.

I have been looking for those subs. It's something that I'm morbidly curious in.

GFBeach
Jul 6, 2005

Surrounded by wierdos
So as it turns out I'll be spending a few days around Christmas in Tokyo, and I'd like to go to see the Gundam statue. :woop: I've done some quick research and while I think it's in the DiverCity Plaza in Odaiba (source 1, source 2), the latest information regarding the statue's location are only as recent as March 2013. Does anyone happen to know for a fact if it's still in that Plaza? ...And by any chance, you think they've strung it up with Christmas lights during the holidays?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
So, while Gaia Gear never got (and will probably never get) an animated adaptation, it did get a Drama CD. With a soundtrack. And a pretty good one at that. I really wish someone had done a translation. Or that I knew japanese.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Reading the wiki and wow:
To have better chances Metatron creates a memory clone of the legendary Char Aznable called Affranchi Char ('affranchi' being a French word for a 'freed slave'), who commands the troops of Metatron and pilots the Gaia Gear Alpha.

While he is waiting for the ship, he meets and quarrels with a bigoted stranger who tells Affranchi that the white man is humanity's elite, destined to rule over the lesser races.

Affranchi displays an uncanny prowess in the martial arts and defeats the hijackers.

God damnit Unicorn.

We could have had Black Dynamite Char instead :haw:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I got the full soundtrack at home, but I can't find it on youtube. I did find this pretty great Gundam Medley, which has a really great final battle sounding song from the Gaia Gear OST. Since Unicorn has been a money making machine and The Origin is next, maybe we'll see more adaptations of obscure stuff to give them a second chance.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

drat that some Vince DiCola/San Bush good poo poo.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

GFBeach posted:

So as it turns out I'll be spending a few days around Christmas in Tokyo, and I'd like to go to see the Gundam statue. :woop: I've done some quick research and while I think it's in the DiverCity Plaza in Odaiba (source 1, source 2), the latest information regarding the statue's location are only as recent as March 2013. Does anyone happen to know for a fact if it's still in that Plaza? ...And by any chance, you think they've strung it up with Christmas lights during the holidays?

Yeah that's where it is. It does have christmas lights, but they aren't dangling from it or anything, it's like lights at the feet pointed upwards and bouncing off it or something.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

muike posted:

Yeah that's where it is. It does have christmas lights, but they aren't dangling from it or anything, it's like lights at the feet pointed upwards and bouncing off it or something.

Shame, I was hoping for a picture of a Gundam used as a giant Christmas tree. Nothing different about the mech, just wrapped in Christmas lights.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Azubah posted:

Shame, I was hoping for a picture of a Gundam used as a giant Christmas tree. Nothing different about the mech, just wrapped in Christmas lights.

Santa hat and fake beard on the head of the life sized Strike Freedom bust inside the shop.

GFBeach
Jul 6, 2005

Surrounded by wierdos

muike posted:

Awesome, thanks for the info! :)

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Don't forget to check out the little light show they have with the cockpit opening up and everything. Also the Gundam museum at the top floor of DiverCity. They have some really nice custom kitbashes on display.

Also the Haro shaped meatbuns.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Pimpmust posted:

Reading the wiki and wow: To have better chances Metatron creates a memory clone

I legit thought you'd started talking about Zone of the Enders for a second and did a double take. I suppose that's where Kojima picked the name from now that you mention it, given all the obvious Gundam homages in the actual games. Learn something new every day.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

tsob posted:

I legit thought you'd started talking about Zone of the Enders for a second and did a double take. I suppose that's where Kojima picked the name from now that you mention it, given all the obvious Gundam homages in the actual games. Learn something new every day.

Doubt it. Metatron is a biblical term, and early 2000's mecha was no stranger to biblical word salad.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Didn't know anything about Gaia Gear until just now, is it part of UC continuity proper, or is it completely it's own thing? Looks like it got some cool designs.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

BizarroAzrael posted:

Didn't know anything about Gaia Gear until just now, is it part of UC continuity proper, or is it completely it's own thing? Looks like it got some cool designs.

At the time of release Gaia Gear was a far-future story set in UC, but since then Bandai and Sunrise have basically awkwardly shoved it under the rug and hoped nobody saw it.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
Okay, here comes a mega nerdy question.

Say someone was going to do a pen and paper tabletop Gundam RPG. What system would you use? I've found a few, but can't really decide. I'm looking for something that has fun and easy to grasp combat that is well suited to giant robot battles, and could easily be converted into the UC setting.

*d20 modern - everyone is familiar with the d20 rules, but out of the mecha rules I've found, a lot of them are more bare bones compared to Mekton or Jovian Chronicles as D&D obviously wasn't designed with giant robots in mind. I would likely have to dream up rules for stuff like core fighters\magella attack tanks and newtypes all by myself.

*Mekton Zeta - most google searches I do recommend this above all others, and it does have a couple neat and very anime rules here and there, but the process of designing mecha for it SUCKS. It's time consuming as hell and requires a fuckton of math. It sucks spending a day trying to design a single mobile suit. And as we know, Gundam has a fuckton of Mobile Suits.

*Jovian Chronicles \ Silhouette core - Jovian Chronicles is basically Gundam except the name is different and it takes place in the entire solar system and not just the earth sphere. It even has rules for O'Neil cylinders. It seems like it's a lot easier to design mecha, too, so I could make GMs and Zakus galore. However, I have no idea what the actual gameplay is like, and people on various internet forums seem to hate the engine and prefer Mekton or d20 over it.

Really, I just wish that Gundam Senkei was translated into English so I would already have a campaign setting and all the mobile suits pre-made.

I would definitely want to set it in the Universal Century, and most likely during the OYW as that's the part of the UC most people in the west are familiar with (I don't know a lot of people this side of the pond who have seen Zeta Gundam even though a Gryps Conflict \ Neo Zeon War campaign would be rad.)

Has anybody here every tried this before? Thoughts? Suggestions?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Maybe Shadowrun, with all the Magic removed? Or Eclipse Phase with the Transhumanism toned down (although not removed completely, e.g. Newtypes and Artificial Newtypes)? The old White Wolf game Trinity had Psychic powers and mechas, and while it would need stats for everything, they'd probably be a lot easier to design than Mekton or Jovian.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

D20 is a loving awful system and you should do anything and everything in your power to avoid it.

Personally I would recommend FATE, it's a system with a fairly simple core mechanic that's designed to be scalable, and it already has a couple mech themed splatbooks that you can crib game-mechanism ideas from. Also the core ruleset for the latest edition is free to download if you want to try it out.

Miles Vorkosigan
Mar 21, 2007

The stuff that dreams are made of.
Yeah, you are probably better off using a rules-lite system than trying to force a rules heavy system into a shape you like. Someone a while back(I think it was Silentman?) ran a Gundam play-by-post game using PDQ, but that's an even lighter system than the above mentioned FATE.

e: Also, you might get better answers over in the Trad Games forum. They've got a What System Should I Use Megathread and it looks like someone recently asked a pretty similar question!

Miles Vorkosigan fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Dec 10, 2013

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

You MIGHT consider Mobile Frame Zero, it's pretty fun and has solid rules, however it's all about the tabletop, so you'd have to use something else for anything that wasn't the actual mechfights. You can just chuck the stations and doomsday rules, and since it'd be cooperative there wouldn't be any issue with letting the RPG system throw bonuses onto the combat like high DEX (or whatever) gives X amount of shot re-rolls and so on.

Though the more I think about it the more kludging two systems together seems like way too much effort. But. Anyway the pdf is free to check out. Also someone made a combined MF0 and Fate Accelerated system, which I have not tried but seems serviceable

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

mr. stefan posted:

D20 is a loving awful system and you should do anything and everything in your power to avoid it.

Personally I would recommend FATE, it's a system with a fairly simple core mechanic that's designed to be scalable, and it already has a couple mech themed splatbooks that you can crib game-mechanism ideas from. Also the core ruleset for the latest edition is free to download if you want to try it out.

After doing a quick google search, I the only mecha book I found using the FATE system was this:
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/117506/Apotheosis-Drive-X---Fate-Powered-Mecha-RPG---SD-MIX

Pretty much, the concept I have is to basically do the 08th MS Team meets war movies like Platoon, the Thin Red Line and so on. The players are grunts in either GMs or Zakus depending on their faction (and may eventually get promoted and get better suits like the RX-79[G] Gundam Ground type or Goufs\Doms\Gelgoogs etc.) In addition to having to deal with the enemy, the squad of pilots would have to deal with earth conditions they're not familiar with, incompetent superior officers who don't give a poo poo about them, and allies that range from shell-shocked to compete sociopaths.

When I would DM a games in college, I would generally fudge things and let people survive bad rolls, but since this is UC Gundam and it's war, the Yoshiyuki Tomino "Kill 'em all" clause is in effect. I intend for this to be more combat-heavy, difficult and way less lighthearted than a lot of stuff I've done in the past. If somebody makes a bad roll or does something stupid, in true Tomino style, you're gonna die. So being able to quickly roll new characters to replace that unfortunate bastard that got turned into hamburger is a huge plus. I don't intend to be such a dick that I have player characters get picked off by snipers or randomly step on land mines and blow up (although NPCs will certainly suffer these fates) but this would probably be the darkest and most lethal game I'd ever run so that might be something interesting to deal with.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Gammatron 64 posted:

After doing a quick google search, I the only mecha book I found using the FATE system was this:
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/117506/Apotheosis-Drive-X---Fate-Powered-Mecha-RPG---SD-MIX

Pretty much, the concept I have is to basically do the 08th MS Team meets war movies like Platoon, the Thin Red Line and so on. The players are grunts in either GMs or Zakus depending on their faction (and may eventually get promoted and get better suits like the RX-79[G] Gundam Ground type or Goufs\Doms\Gelgoogs etc.) In addition to having to deal with the enemy, the squad of pilots would have to deal with earth conditions they're not familiar with, incompetent superior officers who don't give a poo poo about them, and allies that range from shell-shocked to compete sociopaths.

When I would DM a games in college, I would generally fudge things and let people survive bad rolls, but since this is UC Gundam and it's war, the Yoshiyuki Tomino "Kill 'em all" clause is in effect. I intend for this to be more combat-heavy, difficult and way less lighthearted than a lot of stuff I've done in the past. If somebody makes a bad roll or does something stupid, in true Tomino style, you're gonna die. So being able to quickly roll new characters to replace that unfortunate bastard that got turned into hamburger is a huge plus. I don't intend to be such a dick that I have player characters get picked off by snipers or randomly step on land mines and blow up (although NPCs will certainly suffer these fates) but this would probably be the darkest and most lethal game I'd ever run so that might be something interesting to deal with.

You can literally roll up a new character in FATE accelerated in less than five minutes. Also, there are a couple hacks for mecha in FATE, the one I'm familiar with is Camelot Trigger, which is for simulating Five Star Stories-style mecha combat and is included in the Fate Worlds compendium of setting crunch.

FATE is inherently a system where narrative logic takes precedence, but you can totally adapt that to a tomino-esque system of storytelling (are you willing to handicap yourself now and maybe have some luck later, or are you going to burn all your luck and eat it on a roll at the end of the session?) Combat in FATE also is very death-spiraley in the right hands. I'd suggest downloading the PDF for Fate Accelerated, running it a bit in non giant robot settings to get a hang of the core rules, and then you can probably come up with a way to simulate giant robots from there, or ask for some help in the TG thread.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

If you want things to be really light, stick to PDQ or FATE as suggested. Those can be pretty quick to generate characters, but on the other hand are also very gameable, because you can argue and justify your way out of nearly anything. You might have trouble killing characters in a fair way, at least in my experience.

If you want to have a degree of crunch and just enough options to add variety and depth to the gameplay and aren't afraid of doing some math, then I wrote this Mecha RPG a while ago. It is free so you can just give it a quick skim to check if it is your thing.

I wrote it more with newtypes or ace pilots of some caliber in mind though, complete with funnels and psychic powers. If you want something grittier then it works less well, but you could just use the rules for Grunts to create the PCs instead of the full-blown PC rules, that would be faster and deadlier. It loses a lot of its charm but is probably still way more balanced than most alternatives, if you care about that.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Gammatron 64 posted:

Okay, here comes a mega nerdy question.

Say someone was going to do a pen and paper tabletop Gundam RPG. What system would you use? I've found a few, but can't really decide. I'm looking for something that has fun and easy to grasp combat that is well suited to giant robot battles, and could easily be converted into the UC setting.

*d20 modern - everyone is familiar with the d20 rules, but out of the mecha rules I've found, a lot of them are more bare bones compared to Mekton or Jovian Chronicles as D&D obviously wasn't designed with giant robots in mind. I would likely have to dream up rules for stuff like core fighters\magella attack tanks and newtypes all by myself.

*Mekton Zeta - most google searches I do recommend this above all others, and it does have a couple neat and very anime rules here and there, but the process of designing mecha for it SUCKS. It's time consuming as hell and requires a fuckton of math. It sucks spending a day trying to design a single mobile suit. And as we know, Gundam has a fuckton of Mobile Suits.

*Jovian Chronicles \ Silhouette core - Jovian Chronicles is basically Gundam except the name is different and it takes place in the entire solar system and not just the earth sphere. It even has rules for O'Neil cylinders. It seems like it's a lot easier to design mecha, too, so I could make GMs and Zakus galore. However, I have no idea what the actual gameplay is like, and people on various internet forums seem to hate the engine and prefer Mekton or d20 over it.

Really, I just wish that Gundam Senkei was translated into English so I would already have a campaign setting and all the mobile suits pre-made.

I would definitely want to set it in the Universal Century, and most likely during the OYW as that's the part of the UC most people in the west are familiar with (I don't know a lot of people this side of the pond who have seen Zeta Gundam even though a Gryps Conflict \ Neo Zeon War campaign would be rad.)

Has anybody here every tried this before? Thoughts? Suggestions?

You might want to take a gook at a locally designed game: Giant Guardian Generation

I'm honestly not super keen on it just because the rules seem pretty 'wonky' and thrown together, but goons REALLY seem to like it. So there is that. =)

Edit: Aww poo poo, just realized it was already posted in the thread, and by its author no less. Not intended as a slight btw. I'm just really picky when it comes to rule systems :ohdear:

Caros fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Dec 10, 2013

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

TK-31 posted:

If you want things to be really light, stick to PDQ or FATE as suggested. Those can be pretty quick to generate characters, but on the other hand are also very gameable, because you can argue and justify your way out of nearly anything. You might have trouble killing characters in a fair way, at least in my experience.

If you want to have a degree of crunch and just enough options to add variety and depth to the gameplay and aren't afraid of doing some math, then I wrote this Mecha RPG a while ago. It is free so you can just give it a quick skim to check if it is your thing.

I wrote it more with newtypes or ace pilots of some caliber in mind though, complete with funnels and psychic powers. If you want something grittier then it works less well, but you could just use the rules for Grunts to create the PCs instead of the full-blown PC rules, that would be faster and deadlier. It loses a lot of its charm but is probably still way more balanced than most alternatives, if you care about that.

I'll give your system a look as well, sounds neat!

I'm actually not against having newtypes and would probably include them, although stuff like funnels are probably more at home in a more Zeta\ZZ\CCA\Unicorn setting (which I'm not against and Zeta is one of my favorite series, it's just that I find that people are less familiar with Zeta and basically know 0079 and Wing. A game that explores what Amuro and\or Char were doing during ZZ and in the lead up to CCA might be really cool.)

I sort of have a crazy idea of using a dice roll at character creation to determine if someone is a newtype or not (being a spacenoid and young makes it much more likely whereas if you are an old man earthnoid there's like no chance) but the crazy part is that I would have such information completely hidden from the player, so they wouldn't know if they're a newtype or not until a situation arises where they have superior intuition or able to feel someones' emotions telepathically or whatever. Players would gradually figure out if they're newtypes or not as the game goes on.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Gammatron 64 posted:

I sort of have a crazy idea of using a dice roll at character creation to determine if someone is a newtype or not (being a spacenoid and young makes it much more likely whereas if you are an old man earthnoid there's like no chance) but the crazy part is that I would have such information completely hidden from the player, so they wouldn't know if they're a newtype or not until a situation arises where they have superior intuition or able to feel someones' emotions telepathically or whatever. Players would gradually figure out if they're newtypes or not as the game goes on.

Not to be too much of a cheerleader but this is easy to pull off in FATE, give the character an aspect relating to them being a newtype and they can spend a fate point to get a bonus whenever it would be relevant. For extra Tomino goodness, the compel system in FATE also acts as the flip side of the coin, as you can bribe a player with a fate point to act on their newtype nature in situations where doing so would not necessarily be a smart idea.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

On a whim, I started watching Gundam X. Holy hell, why didn't we get this in America? It's way better than Wing. Well, so far at least, I'm only 7 episodes in. Also, my perspective's probably tinted in that I really liked Eureka Seven, and the plot so far has an uncanny resemblance to the first half of E7.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

mr. stefan posted:

Not to be too much of a cheerleader but this is easy to pull off in FATE, give the character an aspect relating to them being a newtype and they can spend a fate point to get a bonus whenever it would be relevant. For extra Tomino goodness, the compel system in FATE also acts as the flip side of the coin, as you can bribe a player with a fate point to act on their newtype nature in situations where doing so would not necessarily be a smart idea.

If he's going for full Tomino he'd be giving out a lot of Fate Points for doing things that aren't a smart idea. :v:

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

Triggerhappypilot posted:

On a whim, I started watching Gundam X. Holy hell, why didn't we get this in America?

Because it bombed in Japan for a variety of reasons. Also because Bandai wanted to cram UC down American throats as soon as possible and made the brilliant decision to air 0079.

quote:

It's way better than Wing. Well, so far at least, I'm only 7 episodes in.

Most people's issues with X comes from the pacing; for about half the series it's more of an adventure story than your typical Gundam plot. But if you're enjoying it, than that's probably not an issue for you.

I'm personally a big fan of the series, since it actually tries to do something beyond the usual UC rehash. It probably handles Newtypes the best out of all the series in my opinion and ends on a pretty decent note despite being cancelled. Also the Gundam X is an amazing design and Dreams and Resolution are the best OPs.

EDIT: V The Frost Brothers were actually pretty well done all things considered. They're tied into the overall theme of the show well, they're annoying as gently caress so you root against them, and they're just competent enough to advance the plot. Also Garrod gets to do what everyone in the audience wants to do in the ending and absolutely bitch them out for being so astoundingly petty.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Dec 10, 2013

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I'd be pretty down with Gundam X if the Frost Brothers weren't so dull and terrible :colbert:

Gundam usually does a fine job with its villains but I just got sick of those jerks so fast.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I kind of wish that gundam x did more with it's post-apocalyptic setting, it never really seemed to me that the earth was a devastated as it should have been given all those colony drops. But I have to give the show credit for having some really likable characters along with some really good ms designs.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
My dream is to have a show where all the main MSes are scrounged together pieces of crap held together by spit and prayer.

Basically more Exia Repairs.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

As much as it likes to remind you of the colony drops (seriously I think the first 10 episodes start with that narration crawl), the show starts shortly after the Earth has finally started getting back on its feet. A lot of the characters still remember how absolutely lovely it was, but most of them don't really dwell on it and just move forwards.

Which is fine because that's sort of the theme of the show.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
The world pulling itself together is one thing, and I know Gundam NEVER pays attention to this sort of thing, but how in the hell do they maintain 3 top-of-the-line Gundams well enough to keep them in perfect condition?

I wanted scrapheap Gundams, dammit.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
The original Gundam series had enough parts to nearly rebuild each of the V project Mobile Suits once over. They kinda gloss over it when Amuro's getting what he can on to white base though. And in Zeta, one of the Mk IIs is kept around as spare parts and the third is sent to Anaheim for research. The original series actually probably covers it best. It's just one of those side details that no one besides people who would say their favorite character in MSG is Job John would notice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Pureauthor posted:

The world pulling itself together is one thing, and I know Gundam NEVER pays attention to this sort of thing, but how in the hell do they maintain 3 top-of-the-line Gundams well enough to keep them in perfect condition?

Kid is just that good. :smug:

More seriously, the Freeden salvages a ton of junk. It's how the X Divider is made, and it's probably how they get the supplies to maintain their main force. You also see them straight up restock a couple times too, so presumably every time they enter a city they go on a shopping spree.

• Locked thread