Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

I'm intrigued to know what everyone is referring to, but there's not much I can type into Google without ending up on a list... any links?
Kotaku link's the best you're gonna get: http://kotaku.com/child-predators-were-using-nintendos-swapnote-service-1459304126
Some Japanese pedo got girls to send him their pictures over Swapnote, in spite of all the parental controls and friend code business.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ah cheers. Seems like it's ignorance/negligence on behalf of the parents, but I can see Nintendo naturally not wanting to have a repeat incident.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

EL BROMANCE posted:

Ah cheers. Seems like it's ignorance/negligence on behalf of the parents, but I can see Nintendo naturally not wanting to have a repeat incident.

Considering you have services like ChatRoulette that has tons of idiotic men flashing their junk to people it's just the de-evolution of service that is bound to happen when the service lacks proper moderation. That's one amazing thing about Miiverse is that the moderation is very well done and very swift.

meatpath
Feb 13, 2003

Looks like they just updated the Club Nintendo rewards. Mario's Picross and Starship Defense for 3DS, and SMB2:LL and Balloon Fight for WiiU.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Well, the rewards were good for one month at least.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
ha, I literally bought Mario's Picross yesterday. I prefer to save my coins for physical items though so it's all good.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
What's SMB2:LL? I read that as Super Mario Brothers 2, but that doesn't have a subtitle.

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

Lost Levels. The japanese SMB2 that's hard as gently caress.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
This is the first time their reward has been a WiiU game though, right?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

At least we're getting A Link to the Past this week but where's my Contra 3 and Legend of the Mystical Ninja Konami? :argh:

Purple D. Link
May 17, 2011

HE IS THE HERO
Is Mario's Picross worth it if I already have Picross DS?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Purple D. Link posted:

Is Mario's Picross worth it if I already have Picross DS?
No. Not only is it a better game, I'm pretty sure you can download all/most of the Mario Picross puzzles in Picross DS.

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008

greatn posted:

Yea. When I saw 68k wrote Wii U I assumed it was a mistake, but no they're actually for the Wii U.

greatn posted:

What's SMB2:LL? I read that as Super Mario Brothers 2, but that doesn't have a subtitle.

Lost Levels. It's the Japanese Super Mario Bros 2.

Purple D. Link
May 17, 2011

HE IS THE HERO

homeless snail posted:

No. Not only is it a better game, I'm pretty sure you can download all/most of the Mario Picross puzzles in Picross DS.
Dang, hopefully I'll have a good reason to spend coins next month. Thanks.

citizenlowell
Sep 25, 2003

ignore alien orders

greatn posted:

When I click through on SMB2:LL it shows information about the Wii VC, for Balloon Fight it says Wii U eshop everywhere. I'm not sure SMB2:LL is acutally a Wii U VC game.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

citizenlowell posted:

When I click through on SMB2:LL it shows information about the Wii VC, for Balloon Fight it says Wii U eshop everywhere. I'm not sure SMB2:LL is acutally a Wii U VC game.

It's not unless it just released; I did a mass-upgrade of all my Wii stuff recently and that wasn't among them.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Judging from how the page for the game looks, and how it's being worded, I think Lost Levels is actually the Wii version and not a Wii U version. Also, Club Nintendo is getting hammered it looks like.

Mercury Crusader fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Dec 10, 2013

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner

homeless snail posted:

Kotaku link's the best you're gonna get: http://kotaku.com/child-predators-were-using-nintendos-swapnote-service-1459304126
Some Japanese pedo got girls to send him their pictures over Swapnote, in spite of all the parental controls and friend code business.

My partner was really devastated yesterday when he spent an hour making me a swapnote on his new 2DS when I broke it to him that I will never see it :(

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

robodex posted:

My partner was really devastated yesterday when he spent an hour making me a swapnote on his new 2DS when I broke it to him that I will never see it :(
I thought that the SpotPass features still worked?

Typhoon Jim
Sep 20, 2004

space moo

ookiimarukochan posted:

I thought that the SpotPass features still worked?

Only the direct streetpass stuff works, and with pre-existing friends.

Incidentally, what the hell is with Nintendo not linking purchases to accounts, instead tying them to devices? The technology exists. Is there some bizarre pedophile ring somehow frustrated by this state of affairs?

Typhoon Jim fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Dec 10, 2013

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Am I reading this right that you can get around region locks on the Wii U just by setting up a profile then? Madden was never released over here, but I'd like to try it some day if I can find it cheap...

You can't get around the hard region locks, no - you're forever stuck with the NA/PAL/JP region lock no matter what you do, but if you live in a country that doesn't get eShop games that the rest of the region does get (like Australia) you can switch your system settings to another country from the same region and access their eShop that way. You can't switch your UK system to USA and access the NA eShop or anything like that.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Maybe I'm being too optimistic but I think we'll have games tied to accounts eventually. The update merging 3DS/Wii U accounts is a decent first step and Shibata said in that last Nintendo Direct that they were going to continue improving Nintendo Network IDs or something

Desrever
Nov 23, 2004

So now that all this Nintendo ID stuff is happening, I completely forgot that someone let me link my Club Nintendo account to their Wii U eShop for the Super Luigi U bonus coins. Now I can't link my 3DS account to club nintendo. Is there any way for me to unlink the account on my end?

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Hey, new Club Nintendo games are up as of today

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I just checked, and it turns out that despite the badge, Lost Levels is actually just the Wii version:

quote:

System Wii
No. of Players 1 player
Category Action, Import

Go to the Wii Menu on your Wii U to play this game.

Dumb.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Is there a good reason Balloon Fight costs more than Lost Levels?
HD tax?

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy

Supercar Gautier posted:

I just checked, and it turns out that despite the badge, Lost Levels is actually just the Wii version:

Dumb.

Similarly, Starship Defense is actually a DSi game.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS
200 coins for 1984's Balloon Fight? That's what they charge for N64 games! :laffo:

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

You can't get around the hard region locks, no - you're forever stuck with the NA/PAL/JP region lock no matter what you do, but if you live in a country that doesn't get eShop games that the rest of the region does get (like Australia) you can switch your system settings to another country from the same region and access their eShop that way. You can't switch your UK system to USA and access the NA eShop or anything like that.

You can't "switch" your country as such; you would have to make a new account to buy a different country's games. This now applies on 3DS as well as Wii U.

cbirdsong posted:

Similarly, Starship Defense is actually a DSi game.

Yeah but DSi rewards can only be redeemed on a 3DS.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Is there a good reason Balloon Fight costs more than Lost Levels?
HD tax?

Even more so weird when Lost Levels is $6 in the Wii Store due to being a import.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

AngryCaterpillar posted:

200 coins for 1984's Balloon Fight? That's what they charge for N64 games! :laffo:

Even more ridiculous is that it was 30 cents already. Anybody that would have wanted it, has it.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

AngryCaterpillar posted:

It's the only actual Wii U vc game so they know they can get away with higher prices. I really wish the Lost Levels reward was for the 3DS.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The coin prices have slowly been going up for repeat games, I guess they turned out to be more popular than they anticipated.

Anyway, 3D Ecco the Dolphin interview! They touch on Gunstar Heroes a little, too.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Gotcha, I thought I must have misunderstood something as region locking is so loved by manufacturers despite everyones utter, utter hatred of it.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Okunari wasn't kidding when he said they were already working on more Sega 3D remasters: 3D Afterburner II, out next week in Japan!

Features most of the standard bells and whistles from the other 3D arcade ports: stage select, widescreen settings, dipswitch settings, faux-marquee with tilting screen effects, etc. Game-specific tweaks include a translucent smoke toggle, the ability to have the cursors/reticles appear at the front of the screen in 2D even when everything else is 3D, the option to use the Circle Pad Pro as a throttle and some other stuff.

They've also licensed the F14, which makes me think they might go to the effort of licensing the Ferrari for Outrun.

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Dec 11, 2013

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Another JP update: they're getting Romancing SaGa on the WU VC next week. Come on, Square-Enix, throw the rest of us a bone.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Another JP update: they're getting Romancing SaGa on the WU VC next week. Come on, Square-Enix, throw the rest of us a bone.

That never had a official English translation, so that won't be coming here. Shame, as I always enjoyed the SaGa series outside of the horrible Unlimited SaGa.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Yeah, I wasn't speaking solely in terms of SaGa, they've got a whole bunch of different S-E games on the VC now. FF, SaGa, Ogre Battle, Secret of Mana...

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

Okunari wasn't kidding when he said they were already working on more Sega 3D remasters: 3D Afterburner II, out next week in Japan!

Features most of the standard bells and whistles from the other 3D arcade ports: stage select, widescreen settings, dipswitch settings, faux-marquee with tilting screen effects, etc. Game-specific tweaks include a translucent smoke toggle, the ability to have the cursors/reticles appear at the front of the screen in 2D even when everything else is 3D, the option to use the Circle Pad Pro as a throttle and some other stuff.

They've also licensed the F14, which makes me think they might go to the effort of licensing the Ferrari for Outrun.

Those two seemed like perfect candidates for 3D remasters so its kind of neat to see them already going forward with wave two.

Too bad we won't see those until probably this time next year if this last wave was anything to go by.

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?
I had Starship Defense on my DSi (come to think of it, I still do; I should do a system transfer / link at some point) and I love tower defense games. It gets all the basics right, and even though it's simple I spent a lot of time playing it.

I still can't access the e-shop though. I want to buy all those Sega classics releases :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

radlum
May 13, 2013
I just bought a 3DS and I wanted to buy the last Phoenix Wright game but I can't find it in the eShop in my 3ds; I used the search engine and nothing. I tried using the qr code from the webpage and I got an error code 011-3021.
Any idea why? Is the store region locked? (I live in South America)