Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

DrSunshine posted:

What does that mean, though, doing both at once? That line was really confusing.

they're gonna do the Erwin-style announce the real plan to everyone to draw out saboteurs

and get everyone killed in the process :unsmigghh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

DrSunshine posted:

Aww, poor Historia. So she's basically the illegitimate child of a mistress, and is treated as nothing more than human garbage. I hate seeing child abuse, it's just so sad. :smith: That lord dude had better get eaten by a Titan or I'm gonna be pissed!

I get nothing about what happened in that ending, where the Lord's men killed Historia's mother. Was he going to kill them regardless or take Historia away then kill her other part of the family?

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

NutritiousSnack posted:

I get nothing about what happened in that ending, where the Lord's men killed Historia's mother. Was he going to kill them regardless or take Historia away then kill her other part of the family?

Lord Reiss was going to take them both back to his manor to either keep them safe or as prisoners. The guys that showed up did not want that to happen for some reason, but it looked like they would have relented if Reiss admitted that Historia's mother was his mistress and Historia his daughter. At least Reiss acted like enough of a father, after watching her mother die, cursing their daughter's existence, to make a compromise that would keep Historia alive. :smith:

They might have killed her grandparents, after it was all said and done, but that's not confirmed.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

There is definately something more going on with Lord Reiss, Historia's mother, and so on. I think it's pretty clear those guys knew exactly what Reiss was doing, and were sent to intimidate him. Not to mention the words "Are you feeling uneasy because Wall Maria has fallen" really sticks out in my mind. That has to be the huge hint towards what's really going on there. It's true that everyone would feel nervous after that- but why would he feel the need to get his illegitimate daughter to live with him?

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Schubalts posted:

Lord Reiss was going to take them both back to his manor to either keep them safe or as prisoners. The guys that showed up did not want that to happen for some reason, but it looked like they would have relented if Reiss admitted that Historia's mother was his mistress and Historia his daughter. At least Reiss acted like enough of a father, after watching her mother die, cursing their daughter's existence, to make a compromise that would keep Historia alive. :smith:

They might have killed her grandparents, after it was all said and done, but that's not confirmed.

What? No, they were totally intimidating him for having illegitimate offspring. The point was if he admitted that Historia was his daughter they would kill them both because of the scandal. As it was, since he disavowed her, they were satisfied with just killing the adult witness.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

Connie (and Eren) and I agree on these translations.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
It would be funny if Historia's flashback ended there, it'd be a great red herring as to Historia actually knowing anything at all.

Also, with the MPs/Wallists killing Pastor Nick and then possibly going after Eren and co in their secret hiding place, it looks like poo poo might be going down again, even without running into Monkey Trouble again or Bert kicking down another gate of Wall Rose.

Also maybe it's just the way Isayama and co draws them, but Armin and Historia almost look like twins in this chapter.

Apparently, the aftermath of Eren siccing titans on Bertolt and Reiner also came out? Looks like the two of them really are alive.

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Dec 9, 2013

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

What is this and where did it come from. :stare:

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Szmitten posted:

What is this and where did it come from. :stare:

On the AoT wiki it was sourced as Chapter 50.5, but when I try searching for that on Google I get Before the Fall instead. :iiam:

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

I love the little character details in this manga. At first I just noticed how Sasha's plate was a mess and she was licking the bowl clean, a well known sign of respect for a cook, or had decided that using a spoon was too slow and decided to chug it down. Then I noticed that everyone else had barely touched their food and she was already done.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Sasha knows what's best in life. A lass after me heart.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

A big flaming stink posted:

What? No, they were totally intimidating him for having illegitimate offspring. The point was if he admitted that Historia was his daughter they would kill them both because of the scandal. As it was, since he disavowed her, they were satisfied with just killing the adult witness.

Reiss having an illegitimate child probably played a part, but they were going to kill Historia, too, until Reiss spoke up and offered a compromise. The guy with the knife was holding her head still and moving the knife to her throat.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I don't understand her backstory at all. Nothing of value was said.

It felt more like she is a secret titan or something.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I don't understand her backstory at all. Nothing of value was said.

It felt more like she is a secret titan or something.

Motto of the 104th Training Squad - Sed Occulta Titanas

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Titans are like the new Cylons, aren't they?

Any one of us could be a secret Titan, and not even realize it!!

:ohdear:

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

DrSunshine posted:

I once kicked my sister's sand castle when I was a kid. I think I'm a titan :ohdear:

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

DrSunshine posted:

Try biting your hand really hard, while standing in the middle of a field. at noon-time, on a sunny day, after having just dropped a spoon that you needed to eat your lunch with.

JosephWongKS fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Dec 10, 2013

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

JosephWongKS posted:

Try biting your hand really hard, while standing in the middle of a field. at noon-time, on a sunny day, after having just dropped a spoon that you needed to eat your lunch with.

I do remember this one time I was eating lunch, dropped my fork, and next thing I knew the news was saying Tokyo had been attacked by a giant monster. Does that mean I'm a titan? :ohdear:

coathat
May 21, 2007

It won't answer any of your nagging questions but there's a new chapter of Spoof on Titan. https://www.mangabox.me/reader/SpoofonTitan/

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Anywhere we can get a decent translation besides crunchyroll? It doenst works for my country.

Toadsniff
Apr 10, 2006

Fire Down Below: Crab Company 2

Elias_Maluco posted:

Anywhere we can get a decent translation besides crunchyroll? It doenst works for my country.

No it's pretty terrible no matter where you go, it's a bit surprising too since the translation is so bad you'd think someone else would redo it. Also since it's licensed now I don't think we can post any links for you even if there was something better.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

On another note from this chapter, huge :ironicat: at a MP member telling somebody that "any soldier worth a drat is busy right now."

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Toadsniff posted:

No it's pretty terrible no matter where you go, it's a bit surprising too since the translation is so bad you'd think someone else would redo it. Also since it's licensed now I don't think we can post any links for you even if there was something better.

Well, gently caress, Crunchyroll's manga page doesn't seem available in my country to begin with. :argh:

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Toadsniff posted:

Oh well. Is the translation in crunchyroll good enough?

Prehaps some of you fortunate people who have access to it could be nice to give us a summary on everything that was told on this chapter?

All that I gathered was:

- Armin wants Eren to fill wall Maria gap using titan powers like those used to make the wall, but they have to try it first;
- Hanji wants to keep Eren in hidding for a little longer cause she is afraid, since that priest just got murdered;
- the priest was murdered and tortured my members of the military police;
- Levi says they have to act quick, something is decided (I have no idea what);
- Historia is the bastard child of some important lord, and was not loved by her mother;
- her father and a bunch of other people (who are they?) kills Historia mother (why??), than her name is changed and she goes lives somewhere else;

Batmasterson
Dec 7, 2010

Bang Bang Bang
I was under the impression that Historia's mom didn't hate her, but knew that a day would come where they would be executed to protect the pure bloodlines of the wallists. If she got close to her daughter, it would only make it that much more tragic when she was taken away. Or I'm completely wrong and she hated her daughter because she knew having her was her death sentence.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Alternatively this is just a really bad chapter filled with fascist caricatures of child-murderers.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Batmasterson posted:

I was under the impression that Historia's mom didn't hate her, but knew that a day would come where they would be executed to protect the pure bloodlines of the wallists. If she got close to her daughter, it would only make it that much more tragic when she was taken away. Or I'm completely wrong and she hated her daughter because she knew having her was her death sentence.

Nah she fuckin hates her.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Phobophilia posted:

Alternatively this is just a really bad chapter filled with fascist caricatures of child-murderers.

I can't tell what level of irony that statement is aiming for, but it's kind of inane however I interpret it.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?
So Yahoo Japan's Attack on Titan promotion is pretty great.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

muike posted:

Nah she fuckin hates her.

Yea, whole lot of hatred going on there. "If only I had the courage to kill this girl," after Historia attempted to hug her. "If only you were never born," as she gets her throat slit. Nobody on that farm showed any concern or affection for Historia other than the animals and Reiss (marginally). :smith:

Hellbunny
Dec 24, 2008

I'm not bad, I'm just misunderstood.

Phobophilia posted:

Proletarian hatred is fascist got it.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Those men aren't lumpenproles collaborating with the capitalist, but members of the wall cult. Even the most psychopathic capitalist is not going to stab a child in the throat, that's so gauche, they're better utilised in the coal mines or in the brothels. No, the wall cult forms a distinct group within the population, wielding disproportionate influence, assassinating their enemies, and whose upper membership is maternally inherited.

What better way for the author to round off their villainy with a little blood libel?

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Phobophilia posted:

Those men aren't lumpenproles collaborating with the capitalist, but members of the wall cult. Even the most psychopathic capitalist is not going to stab a child in the throat, that's so gauche, they're better utilised in the coal mines or in the brothels. No, the wall cult forms a distinct group within the population, wielding disproportionate influence, assassinating their enemies, and whose upper membership is maternally inherited.

What better way for the author to round off their villainy with a little blood libel?

Being potentially traitorous as well, if what Hanji and Levi theorized is anything to go by.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

Phobophilia posted:

Eh, the major hole in this is that too much of their motivation is being intentionally kept from the reader. To really be comparable there'd have to be unified in an unquestionably selfish or vindictive motivation held by the entire wall cult, and it would require them to actively work against the populous at large. Right now we don't know what their motivations are, and I personally I have a sneaking suspicion that much of what's going on has at least some legitimate grounding in wanting to keep the kingdom safe.

Also the upper membership isn't maternally inherited, Historia is connected through her father, not her mother.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Phobophilia posted:

What are you even talking about?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
How dare Isayama malign real-life child murderers with such twisted caricatures! Why, a child murderer who read this chapter could have his feelings seriously hurt by such a shallow portrayal!

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

DrSunshine posted:

How dare Isayama malign real-life child murderers with such twisted caricatures! Why, a child murderer who read this chapter could have his feelings seriously hurt by such a shallow portrayal!
This combined with his problematically unflattering depiction of old-fashioned hard-working human traffickers earlier on makes me wonder if Isayama has even met a slaver/murderer. I... I'm so angry right now I'm literally shaking!

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Referring to characters of the major religion in the country as "fascist caricatures" would be really funny if it wasn't kind of sad.

Words mean things, people. :sigh:

Woozey
Feb 20, 2011

RIGHT NOW MY POTENTIAL IS LITERALLY THAT OF A WORM
I think he's trying to say that the wall cult guys are a deliberate, negative fascist caricature of Jews, but he's making the mistake of assuming that it's obvious to anyone but himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Woozey posted:

I think he's trying to say that the wall cult guys are a deliberate, negative fascist caricature of Jews, but he's making the mistake of assuming that it's obvious to anyone but himself.

I think Phobophilia is being sarcastic. He's still failing to make an actual point, though.