Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!
Which VNC client did you use? Performance varies quite a bit between clients.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
^^^ Seconding this, in fact I'd go further and say that VNC depends on the combination of client and server. A paired VNC client/server that were co-developed usually work well together. Once you get away from that it tends to be random, so try clients till you find one that works well with your server, even the one you thought was crap because it didn't work so well with a different server.

aarstar
Mar 7, 2004
I've been using the RealVNC client. Actually, when paired with their server it seems to work well, but the free version of the server doesn't support any authentication. I didn't even think of trying different clients, so thanks for the idea.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

aarstar posted:

Is there a good windows client for apple screen sharing? I'm able to connect to my iMac using the VNC option, but it's ridiculously slow compared to when I connect with my Macbook pro through its native client. I could also install an alternative (better) VNC server if there's a good free one out there.

I've had good experiences with TeamViewer. It's free for non commercial use.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Camoes posted:

Hey! I have a MacBook which used to have Snow Leopard but some days ago I saw that Mavericks was free and installed it. My mac became a bit slower when powering on and off, but, appart from that, everything is ok.

Excpet when reading PDFs. The problem is that, when scrolling, the text gets a bit blurry and only focus a little little bit after I stop scrolling and that hurts my eyes a bit. Is this a new feature of Preview or is it because my MacBook doesn't support that well Mavericks?
Is it kind of like delayed rendering or something? I think that might've been there for a while (maybe since Lion?) but I'm not sure really, seems like something I've noticed more on iOS cause the devices are slower.

aarstar posted:

Is there a good windows client for apple screen sharing? I'm able to connect to my iMac using the VNC option, but it's ridiculously slow compared to when I connect with my Macbook pro through its native client. I could also install an alternative (better) VNC server if there's a good free one out there.
I use Jump Desktop on iOS and it's decent there at least. They have a free client for Windows but don't have any experience with it myself:
http://support.jumpdesktop.com/entries/20097387

Herr Shitlord
May 2, 2008

I feel so much butter!
Sorry for popping in again; Long story short, my Mac Book Pro's built in keyboard is busted and until I can get it fixed am using a USB keyboard. I want to be able to rest my USB keyboard on top of the built-in one without accidentally mashing buttons while I type, and both mouse-keys & the command line stuff (mouse keys still enables volume/brightness/delete & terminal always ends up returning itself to normal after a while) hasn't done the trick. Anyone know of any apps that will allow locking of the built-in keyboard while still being able to type VIA a USB keyboard? The only one I've found is Lockey which sounds about what I need, yet I can find no first hand accounts of whether or not it works well or works in Mavericks, for that matter.

Voodoo Cafe
Jul 19, 2004
"You got, uhh, Holden Caulfield in there, man?"

Saint Seafoam posted:

Sorry for popping in again; Long story short, my Mac Book Pro's built in keyboard is busted and until I can get it fixed am using a USB keyboard. I want to be able to rest my USB keyboard on top of the built-in one without accidentally mashing buttons while I type, and both mouse-keys & the command line stuff (mouse keys still enables volume/brightness/delete & terminal always ends up returning itself to normal after a while) hasn't done the trick. Anyone know of any apps that will allow locking of the built-in keyboard while still being able to type VIA a USB keyboard? The only one I've found is Lockey which sounds about what I need, yet I can find no first hand accounts of whether or not it works well or works in Mavericks, for that matter.

It's probably easier just to disconnect the top case assembly. Ensures that you won't have to mess around with janky third party software, and that way it'll work in alternative OSes and in EFI as well. What model of MBP is it? Almost categorically (on unibodies, at least) it's a thin, wide ribbon cable with a locking lever attached to the logic board, but its location varies from model to model.

aarstar
Mar 7, 2004
Jump Desktop seems to use the built-in VNC server, so it had the same issues, but Teamviewer is working great. Thanks!

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Voodoo Cafe posted:

It's probably easier just to disconnect the top case assembly. Ensures that you won't have to mess around with janky third party software, and that way it'll work in alternative OSes and in EFI as well. What model of MBP is it? Almost categorically (on unibodies, at least) it's a thin, wide ribbon cable with a locking lever attached to the logic board, but its location varies from model to model.

But wouldn't that disconnect the power button as well?

I mean, I suppose you could bypass that, but it wouldn't be totally convenient.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

empty baggie posted:

Yeah, lifting up the top case and shorting the power-on pins with a tweezer or something seems like a Rube Goldberg-esque way to start the day.

Voodoo Cafe
Jul 19, 2004
"You got, uhh, Holden Caulfield in there, man?"

empty baggie posted:

It would, but how often do you really need to force your Mac to power off? If you leave the system running, and don't explicitly tell it to power off, you shouldn't need the power button at all. Also, considering the keyboard is already fried, I don't really see a problem with disconnecting it while the system is under power in standby mode, to avoid having to find a way to power it back on after disconnecting the ribbon cable. I've definitely done it before, but maybe i'm just a sketchy tech. :science:

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

What I do is tunnel VNC over SSH, much more secure that way.

busfahrer
Feb 9, 2012

Ceterum censeo
Carthaginem
esse delendam
I haven't been able to make a purchase in the Mac App Store in 24 hours. Free ones work fine, and purchasing paid ones on the iPad App Store works too, same account. Anybody seeing something similar?

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Can anyone recommend a client for amazon glacier? Is Arq all its cracked up to be? I didn't really want to spend $40 just to get my files up on glacier but I am not seeing a lot of clients that support it.

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

busfahrer posted:

I haven't been able to make a purchase in the Mac App Store in 24 hours. Free ones work fine, and purchasing paid ones on the iPad App Store works too, same account. Anybody seeing something similar?

I haven't been able to update my iOS apps via the iPhone, have to go through my mac. Related maybe?

Anony Mouse
Jan 30, 2005

A name means nothing on the battlefield. After a week, no one has a name.
Lipstick Apathy
So I'm getting a MacBook tomorrow. As a first time Mac user, what should I worry about in terms of security? I know that Macs have a reputation for being secure, but no system is invulnerable. Is the built-in firewall worth a drat? How about free antivirus? Mostly it will be used for Adobe Suite stuff and some light gaming, with the usual web browsing thrown in. All of my :filez: and other shady dealings will remain on my old PC laptop, now relegated to home entertainment duty.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Don't install Java or Flash and that should eliminate 99% of OS X's vulnerabilities. Don't worry about anything else.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Yeah that covers the main vectors...the other stuff to worry about is generally yourself falling for poo poo, so just do usual safe computing practices, i.e. don't install random mysterious stuff. Course OS X has some built in measures for that type of thing too (look up Gatekeeper and XProtect if you're curious).

If you're really paranoid ClamXav is a free AV that works ok enough I guess. I keep it around to watch the Downloads folder and a few other spots.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY
If you must use Flash, install Chrome.

Keep Java to a browser that can have or has it set to click-to-play.

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.
Enable filevault2 (and don't lose your password) and enable the EFI password if you're paranoid.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D

Anony Mouse posted:

So I'm getting a MacBook tomorrow. As a first time Mac user, what should I worry about in terms of security? I know that Macs have a reputation for being secure, but no system is invulnerable. Is the built-in firewall worth a drat? How about free antivirus? Mostly it will be used for Adobe Suite stuff and some light gaming, with the usual web browsing thrown in. All of my :filez: and other shady dealings will remain on my old PC laptop, now relegated to home entertainment duty.

If you decide on virus software, read up first. There's a matchup of the main ones, and a few of them are actually malware themselves but I forget the name. Avoid Norton too, in my opinion.

The top mac security software (covered 70% of tested viruses) is Intego.
Their software is anti virus/firewall combined. Due to piss poor support, I'll probably ditch them. My most recent thing was "can I backup my firewall rules and use them on another mac" and their answer was "nope, we removed that functionality and have no plan current to put it back in. We have a way to do it manually, but we can't tell you how." This is the 4th argument I have had.

Go with a free anti virus like other people suggested and Little Snitch for firewall if you like to be in control.

If you're really the tin foil hat type, set up two accounts with different passwords-one is the admin which you only log in for installing stuff, and the other is your everyday use account. I read this on some security blogpost, and it reduces the chance of people gaining control since only admins can install poo poo.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

the_lion posted:

If you're really the tin foil hat type, set up two accounts with different passwords-one is the admin which you only log in for installing stuff, and the other is your everyday use account. I read this on some security blogpost, and it reduces the chance of people gaining control since only admins can install poo poo.

Does this really apply? If you try to install something that could take control of the system, you still have to enter your password, as it asks you any time you install something. Unless this stops you from altering the Applications directory without the admin password and I don't know about that.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

busfahrer posted:

Apple maintains a systems status page which will let you know if something is going on at their end.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

IUG posted:

Does this really apply? If you try to install something that could take control of the system, you still have to enter your password, as it asks you any time you install something. Unless this stops you from altering the Applications directory without the admin password and I don't know about that.
That is exactly what it does. Admin users can change quite a bit of stuff on the system without triggering an authentication window.

Running as a user with standard rights and elevating with a separate account is considered best practice as far as security goes (and is what we do at work) but is usually a bit too inconvenient for users at home.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

No fuckin' point to running AV on a Mac.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

Is there any way at all to add additional DNS servers without overriding the ones provided via DHCP? DNS server in my office is very slow to update and I'd love to just add Google DNS as backups.

Ashex fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Dec 12, 2013

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Ashex posted:

Is there any way at all to add additional DNS servers without overriding the ones provided via DHCP? DNS server in my office is very slow to update and I'd love to just add Google DNS as backups.

That wouldn't solve your problem. You used the magic word yourself: Backup.

As long as your slow-to-update office server(s) respond at all, those are the results you'd get. Any additional DNS servers are backups and will only be used in the event of failure.

perhonen
May 7, 2007

Molten Llama posted:

That wouldn't solve your problem. You used the magic word yourself: Backup.

As long as your slow-to-update office server(s) respond at all, those are the results you'd get. Any additional DNS servers are backups and will only be used in the event of failure.

Is there any way to add google DNS as the primary, and then DHCP DNS after them?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

You can add them manually in the order you want, but this will gently caress up things if you're on a domain.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

Yep, that's basically my problem. My issue is the local DNS server is slow to update. There's also networks I hop on that have broken/slow DNS that makes web browsing painful.

Right now I have to do this:

1) Look at current DNS servers, add them manually.
2) Add Google DNS

Which isn't bad, but then I go somewhere else:

1) Remove all DNS servers
2) Look at current DNS servers, add them manually.
3) Add Google DNS

It gets really tedious :/

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

What is the local DNS server? Do you have access to point that server to Google's DNS instead of your lovely ISP's servers for the forwarders?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I dunno if there's a Chrome extension or config option that lets you set custom DNS servers, that would solve your browsing issue and leave everything else working.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

No access to the DNS server, that one is at my office. Don't think there are Chrome extensions as it would involve intercepting DNS requests which I don't think is doable (maybe Firefox but I don't use it much).

I guess I'll have to write a script to automate this. Anyone have any pointers?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

How many local machines are you depending on local DNS for?

You could add the local machines to your HOSTS file and then just use Google DNS

busfahrer
Feb 9, 2012

Ceterum censeo
Carthaginem
esse delendam
I've got a new 13" rMBP (Late 2013). I've tried to install Windows 7 (64-bit) onto it using the Bootcamp Assistant multiple times now, and tried several things:
  • Install using SuperDrive with a legit Windows 7 DVD
  • Install using SuperDrive with another legit Windows 7 DVD
  • Install using the Assistant's feature to create a USB stick from the Win7 ISO

All of these have exactly the same effect:
During the "Expanding Windows Files" step, the installation doesn't progress beyond 65%, and all reading from the installation medium is stopped immediately. I.e. the SuperDrive spins down, and the USB stick stops blinking, respectively.

Has anybody experienced something similar?

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

How many local machines are you depending on local DNS for?

You could add the local machines to your HOSTS file and then just use Google DNS

Way too many, lots of internal servers I need to connect to for RDP, NFS, etc.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Ashex posted:

Have you considered making multiple network locations with different DNS settings? We've added another location at work with our AD DNS servers and suffixes but we also left the Automatic one in place so our staff can toggle between them if they go somewhere that uses different DNS servers they can flip back to the default one.

In your case, you'd probably want at least three locations: Automatic (full DHCP), Google (Google DNS with suffixes from DHCP) and then as many with custom configs as you need (you can always duplicate locations to save you from having to entirely configure a new location every time).

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Could you run your own DNS server on your laptop and use Google DNS as a forwarder for everything except a few suffixes, which go to your work ones? I don't know if the Mac OS X Server DNS is that flexible.

Ideally you'd get the poo poo DNS servers fixed but I'm guessing that's out of your remit.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

Ashex posted:

code:
sudo mkdir /etc/resolver
sudo echo -e "nameserver 1.2.3.4\nnameserver 4.3.2.1" > /etc/resolver/workdomain.com
Will configure workdomain.com and all subdomains to get resolved using those specific DNS servers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Or that ^, genius.