Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

fatherdog posted:

I fill in for classes now and then when people are out and need a replacement, but my job responsibilities make it difficult for me to teach on any kind of regular schedule.

Well, hats off to you for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee
not in the name of the father
but in the name of the devil.
hot diggity congrats FD, you loving nerd. (please don't beat me up)

e: seriously thanks for the training timeline great motivation for us other goons.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

canoshiz posted:

So when's the grand opening of SABJJ? :getin:

Today we are going to drill x-guard defense *mumble mumble*

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."

fatherdog posted:

I fill in for classes now and then when people are out and need a replacement, but my job responsibilities make it difficult for me to teach on any kind of regular schedule.

You are denying the world a generation of grapplers yelling FATHERDOG when they recite their lineage.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
My instructor just posted a pic of him and Al Bundy rolling when they were both blue belts. :worship:

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Instead do the Lloyd Irvin AYYYYYY everytime something happens, fatherdog grapplers will scream NOOOOOOOOOPE

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS
Paul walker's professor gave paul's dad paul's black belt. Pretty cool.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
The fast track to getting a black belt is getting a brown belt and then dying, but you didn't hear it from me.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Novum posted:

The fast track to getting a black belt is getting a brown belt and then dying, but you didn't hear it from me.

Oh drat :nyd:

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

KingColliwog posted:

Also will have a lot of difficulty to keep myself from buying this wonderful creation :

if I wasn't doing mostly judo where they are hidden by pants I could not stop myself

Don't be a puss, man. Just do it.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Don't be a puss, man. Just do it.

oh god, best post in this thread in a long time.

Just bought Scramble ibjjf legal rashguards since it was cheap on bjj HQ and should get a cool rashguard for xmass too.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
OSSS Congrats master FD.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Hey guys, I've been looking to get back into martial arts for a long time; I last trained with any seriousness in 2007, having graded for my black belt in Shaolin Kung Fu (a not particularly practical art). I did some collegiate wrestling for a couple of years in the early 2000s, and I've been getting in to watching some BJJ fights recently, particularly ADCC stuff I can find on YouTube etc, and I would like to try the discipline out.

The reason I quit wrestling is that I injured my shoulder quite badly at my job at the time as a motor mechanic - my left arm essentially fell out of the socket, moving 2cm out and 6cm down and being held in place by the muscles and tendons. I also dropped a six thousand dollar racing gearbox on the ground, but that's neither here nor there. Since then it's popped out a few times but never as badly, and it's only in the past year or so that I've found good results with a workout programme designed to properly strengthen it. I had some bad physiotherapy advice and followed it for years to the detriment of the joint, but it's far more stable now.

So I have a few questions, and reading through this thread has shown me that you're a pretty inclusive bunch, and wouldn't mind answering some things from a fake-fighting fan who wandered in here. I stuck out Kung Fu to get graded to level 1 (starting at level 10) because of stubbornness, but really didn't enjoy it in my last year because I hate, hate doing forms (kata in karate) and really didn't see the point in them. The further you got in my particular art the more forms there were. It looks to me that everything you do in BJJ is actually practical and will further your skills as a grappler. Is that the case? What should I look for in a school? More specifically, does anyone know a good school that is kind to somewhat out of shape beginners in the eastern suburbs of Melbourne, Australia(I doubt anyone here will)? I'm 34 years old - coming to this quite late, but I have no problem taking instruction from someone younger than me. Obviously I will discuss my shoulder injury with a prospective trainer, that's a given. Should I research the lineage of who trained the trainer? I notice a lot of people refer to them as professor; is that all BJJ schools? I don't have a lot of interest in competing, but I'm not sure if that will be a requirement for advancement.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

quote:

t looks to me that everything you do in BJJ is actually practical and will further your skills as a grappler. Is that the case?
Most of its pretty practical, until you start getting into crazy guards that are cool for BJJ competitions but would let someone rain punches on you outside of a grappling ruleset. That's not something you'd run into out of the gate though.

quote:

What should I look for in a school?
Check out their competition record (even if you don't want to compete, its a pretty good gauge I think), google the instructor, etc.

quote:

I'm 34 years old - coming to this quite late, but I have no problem taking instruction from someone younger than me.
I'm a 43 year old blue-belt, don't even talk to me about old :colbert: And as a collegiate wrestler you'll have a huge leg up, to boot.

quote:

I don't have a lot of interest in competing, but I'm not sure if that will be a requirement for advancement.
Nah, shouldn't be.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

KingColliwog posted:

oh god, best post in this thread in a long time.

Just bought Scramble ibjjf legal rashguards since it was cheap on bjj HQ and should get a cool rashguard for xmass too.

Ya'll need some Kenka octopus ones or some Meerkatsu chicken ones like I've got.

district of thizz
May 9, 2006

How do, jerry bus.

Kekekela posted:

Most of its pretty practical, until you start getting into crazy guards that are cool for BJJ competitions but would let someone rain punches on you outside of a grappling ruleset. That's not something you'd run into out of the gate though.

Check out their competition record (even if you don't want to compete, its a pretty good gauge I think), google the instructor, etc.

I'm a 43 year old blue-belt, don't even talk to me about old :colbert: And as a collegiate wrestler you'll have a huge leg up, to boot.

Nah, shouldn't be.

This is all good information. In addition with your background I would suggest a place that has no-gi classes as well. The caveat though is that I would not recommend taking a no-gi offering gym over a gi only with a really legit instructor. Definitely take advantage of any free trials to get a feel for the gym to see if it suits you before signing up for any long term contract.

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.

Memento posted:

Should I research the lineage of who trained the trainer? I notice a lot of people refer to them as professor; is that all BJJ schools?

You should but don't go crazy on it. When you're starting out it's more important to not find anything -bad- about the place or the way they teach, and then if you find that BJJ really is for you and it's something you wanna put a lot of time and energy into, you can look a bit more seriously for a coach who will be able to take you there. Honestly for your first I don't know, six months to a year, it really doesn't matter whether you're being trained by a purple belt or a world champion producing black belt as long as the trainer doesn't teach you idiotic stuff.

As for 'professor', I see it here and there. In my experience it's mostly used for the more venerated black belts, or at schools with the closest ties to Brazil. People here can correct me if I'm wrong.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS
In my experience "professor" is just a term for a teaching black belt, and my school is owned and run by a guy straight out of Rio and we have a couple Brazilian black belts. It's not that formal though, I call him Professor and Rodrigo interchangeably and he doesn't give a poo poo either way.

Fun fact some people here probably know but some probably don't. When you look at a black belt and look at the red band at the end, if there are white stripes on each end it means he is a teacher, a regular black belt who just trains/competes but does not teach does not have them.

Dangersim fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Dec 12, 2013

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Ive never called a coach professor. Usually they get "oi mate"

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
"Profesor" is just the brazilian/portugese word for "teacher", much like Japanese martial arts teachers are called "sensei".

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
I call my coach Dennis.

Miching Mallecho
May 24, 2010

:yeshaha:
I only call my instructor professor when referencing him to the kids class I teach, like " Professor Mike does this in the adult class too" because just calling him Mike in front of the kids just sounds wrong.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
I call my coach "Steve" or "coach", or if we're sparring, "you fat rear end in a top hat".

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Is this the thread for talking this year of NCAA wrestling? tOSU-PSU is live on BTN right now and Stieber just went down in OT

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
I call my coach "Dion". He is a super cool guy who regards us all as friends and charges about 1/5 of what other clubs charge. When one of the guys asked him if he should keep track of who was paying and who wasn't at classes and keep records he said "This is about being mates and having fun, not money." Seriously the best club I've ever been to with a very low quantity of aggressive dickheads.

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
So this poo poo is happening and blowing up the facebook. Not a big surprise the IBJJF is a bunch of dudes colluding to make money like literally every other sports org but it's still kind of a gut check

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

ch3cooh posted:

Is this the thread for talking this year of NCAA wrestling? tOSU-PSU is live on BTN right now and Stieber just went down in OT

I hope so because I don't think there is enough interest for a thread of it's own. I'll probably do a fantasy league thing for NCAAs again this year though.

Penn State @ Iowa will be on the Big Ten Network at 9:00PM Eastern on Saturday night. Everybody should watch because it should be a good meet with multiple matchups between top 10 ranked guys. And Hawkeye wrestling fans are the worst people in the entire world so you can join me in mocking them as they yell such insightful comments as "stalling" and "what is he doing ref?" within seconds of the start of each match, regardless of what is happening on the mat.

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Thoguh posted:

I hope so because I don't think there is enough interest for a thread of it's own. I'll probably do a fantasy league thing for NCAAs again this year though.

Penn State @ Iowa will be on the Big Ten Network at 9:00PM Eastern on Saturday night. Everybody should watch because it should be a good meet with multiple matchups between top 10 ranked guys. And Hawkeye wrestling fans are the worst people in the entire world so you can join me in mocking them as they yell such insightful comments as "stalling" and "what is he doing ref?" within seconds of the start of each match, regardless of what is happening on the mat.

And it'll be my first chance to post "sit down and shut the gently caress up Tom brands"

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

ch3cooh posted:

And it'll be my first chance to post "sit down and shut the gently caress up Tom brands"

My favorite Tom Brands thing was last year at NCAAs when he ran out of the coaches box and was jumping up and down in front of the review camera during a scramble. And then tried to challenge the refs call. But because he had been blocking the camera the ref couldn't do a review and the Iowa wrestler lost.

I couldn't find a picture of it but I did find this picture instead, from an older Iowa-Penn State dual meet.

I wasn't aware that the NCAA had added synchronized headstands as an event.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Penn State and Iowa put out their their expected lineups for the Saturday dual. I listed the Altons because they are included in Penn State's release but I'd be really surprised to see them take the mat. There's going to be up to five matches between top ten wrestlers.

code:
+-----+--------------------+--------+----------+-----+--------------------+--------+----------+
|  -  |     Penn State     | Record | Ranking  |     |        Iowa        | Record | Ranking  |
+-----+--------------------+--------+----------+-----+--------------------+--------+----------+
| 125 | Nico Megaludis JR  | 10-1   | 3/3/3    | vs. | Cory Clark FR      | 9-0    | 4/5/4    |
| 133 | Jimmy Gubilon FR   | 4-5    | 15/UR/UR | vs. | Tony Ramos SR      | 8-1    | 3/2/4    |
| or  | Jordan Conaway SO  | 9-2    | UR/15/UR | -   | -                  | -      | -        |
| 141 | Zain Retherford FR | 11-0   | 2/4/3    | vs. | Josh Dziewa JR     | 10-1   | 9/16/15  |
| 149 | Zack Beitz FR      | 6-4    | UR/UR/UR | vs. | Micheal Kelly JR   | 9-1    | UR/UR/UR |
| or  | James English SR   | 3-2    | UR/UR/UR | -   | -                  | -      | -        |
| or  | Andrew Alton JR    | 0-0    | 7/7/7    | -   | -                  | -      | -        |
| 157 | James Vollrath SR  | 8-3    | UR/13/17 | vs. | Derek St. John SR  |        | 1/1/1    |
| or  | Dylan Alton JR     | 0-0    | 5/UR/UR  | -   | -                  | -      | -        |
| 165 | David Taylor SR    | 11-0   | 1/1/1    | vs. | Nick Moore JR      | 5-0    | 4/4/6    |
| 174 | Matt Brown JR      | 11-0   | 3/3/3    | vs. | Mike Evans JR      | 11-0   | 6/6/6    |
| 184 | Ed Ruth SR         | 11-0   | 1/1/1    | vs. | Ethan Lofthouse SR | 10-0   | 2/3/2    |
| 197 | Morgan McIntosh SO | 10-0   | 3/6/7    | vs. | Nathan Burak SO    | 0-0    | 10/UR/UR |
| -   | -                  | -      | -        | or  | Sammy Brooks FR    | 9-3    | UR/UR/UR |
| HWT | Jimmy Lawson JR    | 10-0   | 12/13/13 | vs. | Bobby Telford      | 6-0    | 3/3/3    |
| or  | Jon Gingrich JR    | 13-1   | UR/UR/UR | -   | -                  | -      | -        |
*Rankings are Intermat/D1Wrestling.net/AWN

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Thanks for the rundowns, Thoguh. As I've noted before, I really enjoy watching folkstyle, but I have neither the time nor knowledge to follow it between big events, and your writeups are really good and helpful to read.

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Retherford is the true freshman that beat the king of 141 Logan Stieber last weekend.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

fatherdog posted:

Thanks for the rundowns, Thoguh. As I've noted before, I really enjoy watching folkstyle, but I have neither the time nor knowledge to follow it between big events, and your writeups are really good and helpful to read.

Thanks! I'll do a weight by weight preview if I have time tomorrow.

There are two big tournaments coming up over the Holidays (Midlands and the Southern Scuffle) which I'd encourage people to go to if they live in Chicago or Chattanooga, but they won't be covered live on TV so I won't bother with a write up.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Lost For Words posted:

So this poo poo is happening and blowing up the facebook. Not a big surprise the IBJJF is a bunch of dudes colluding to make money like literally every other sports org but it's still kind of a gut check

Honestly doesn't surprise me in the least. I get a bit pissed off with BJJ in general when you get into the nitty gritty of who trained who and where and what the competition rules and how they work are.

It's part of the reason that any time I've competed I've trained harder and come up with game plans, but haven't gone while wearing my patches or representing my club. I have an iron on cartoon sakuraba that I have on the shoulder of one gi though and I wear a sakuraba shirt around for shits and giggles.

It's not surprising that a sport that lacks serious regulation because it's caught between professional and amatuer at most levels is corrupt as gently caress.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Thoguh posted:

Penn State and Iowa put out their their expected lineups for the Saturday dual. I listed the Altons because they are included in Penn State's release but I'd be really surprised to see them take the mat. There's going to be up to five matches between top ten wrestlers.

code:
|  -  |     Penn State     | Record | Ranking  |     |        Iowa        | Record | Ranking  |
| 125 | Nico Megaludis JR  | 10-1   | 3/3/3    | vs. | Cory Clark FR      | 9-0    | 4/5/4    |
| 133 | Jimmy Gubilon FR   | 4-5    | 15/UR/UR | vs. | Tony Ramos SR      | 8-1    | 3/2/4    |
| or  | Jordan Conaway SO  | 9-2    | UR/15/UR | -   | -                  | -      | -        |
| 141 | Zain Retherford FR | 11-0   | 2/4/3    | vs. | Josh Dziewa JR     | 10-1   | 9/16/15  |
| 149 | Zack Beitz FR      | 6-4    | UR/UR/UR | vs. | Micheal Kelly JR   | 9-1    | UR/UR/UR |
| or  | James English SR   | 3-2    | UR/UR/UR | -   | -                  | -      | -        |
| or  | Andrew Alton JR    | 0-0    | 7/7/7    | -   | -                  | -      | -        |
| 157 | James Vollrath SR  | 8-3    | UR/13/17 | vs. | Derek St. John SR  |        | 1/1/1    |
| or  | Dylan Alton JR     | 0-0    | 5/UR/UR  | -   | -                  | -      | -        |
| 165 | David Taylor SR    | 11-0   | 1/1/1    | vs. | Nick Moore JR      | 5-0    | 4/4/6    |
| 174 | Matt Brown JR      | 11-0   | 3/3/3    | vs. | Mike Evans JR      | 11-0   | 6/6/6    |
| 184 | Ed Ruth SR         | 11-0   | 1/1/1    | vs. | Ethan Lofthouse SR | 10-0   | 2/3/2    |
| 197 | Morgan McIntosh SO | 10-0   | 3/6/7    | vs. | Nathan Burak SO    | 0-0    | 10/UR/UR |
| -   | -                  | -      | -        | or  | Sammy Brooks FR    | 9-3    | UR/UR/UR |
| HWT | Jimmy Lawson JR    | 10-0   | 12/13/13 | vs. | Bobby Telford      | 6-0    | 3/3/3    |
| or  | Jon Gingrich JR    | 13-1   | UR/UR/UR | -   | -                  | -      | -        |
*Rankings are Intermat/D1Wrestling.net/AWN

125: This could end up being a preview of the NCAA finals. Clark is very good and had an impressive redshirt year last season - including a win over Jesse Delgado, last year's NCAA champ. Megaludis isn't too shabby himself. He has taken 2nd place at NCAAs in both of the last two years. For that reason I'm going to give Megaludis the edge in this one, and Clark has never been in this big of a dual meet before, and the only one that came close, Iowa's matchup with Iowa State a few weeks ago, he barely escaped with an 8-7 decision over #20 Earl Hall.
Penn State 3 - 0 Iowa

133: Ramos is a beast and will feed off the Iowa crowd. He pinned Conaway in the dual last season but I expect Conaway to spend this match wrestling to not get pinned. I think Ramos picks up at least a major and possibly a tech fall.
Penn State 3 - 4 Iowa

141: Dziewa is a decent wrestler but I think he is overranked right now because of the black and gold on his singlet. He has only face one ranked wrestler (#1 Mitchell Port of Edinburu) this season and was pinned in the second period. Retherford on the other hand is coming off an overtime win over two time NCAA champ Logan Stieber. Dziewa will get a lot of help from the crowd but I think Retherford wins this one in a decision.
Penn State 6 - 4 Iowa

149: I think the temptation to put in Andrew Alton (who has been held out while recovering from offseason shoulder surgery) is going to be very high for Sanderson. Kelly isn't very good but would likely be able to come away with a decision over Beitz or English in Carver. Alton on the other hand would be a pretty sure win and possibly able to get some bonus points. But since I don't think Penn State will be in desperate need of points I think they allow Alton more time to recover and Kelly picks up a decision. If 149 is wrestled late in the dual though, and Penn State is in a position where they can't afford a loss, then I think we might see Alton take the mat.
Penn State 6 - 7 Iowa

157: St. John is a returning NCAA champion but doesn't tend to score a huge number of points. I doubt Sanderson even considers risking Dylan Alton here. St. John should cruise to an easy victory and with Carver behind him will probably pick up a major.
Penn State 6 - 11 Iowa

165: In matches that aren't the NCAA finals The Magic Man is unstoppable. Last year Taylor tech falled Moore twice and even though Moore is a very good wrestler he's going to be utterly destroyed by Taylor. I see another tech for Taylor here.
Penn State 11 - 11 Iowa

174: This match is pretty much a tossup. Last season Evans beat Brown 4-3 in the dual but lost to Brown 7-3 at the Big 10 tournament. I'm going to give this one to Evans because the meet is in Carver but I wouldn't be at all surprised to see it go the other way.
Penn State 11 - 14 Iowa

184: Lofthouse is no slouch but Ruth is a scoring machine to rival Taylor and he beat Lofthouse 10-1 last year. Lofthouse might be able to keep it to a decision but I doubt it. I think Ruth picks up a major here.
Penn State 15 - 14 Iowa

197: I'm going to assume we'll see Sammy Brooks here, at this point I think Iowa must be considering redshirting Burak. Brooks is not bad and was able to keep it close against Iowa State's #2 ranked Kyven Gadson a few weeks ago. I think McIntosh wins this one by a decision where the score is close even though the match is never in doubt.
Penn State 18 - 14 Iowa

HWT: Barring a re-injury to his knee I think Telford picks up a comfortable decision in a match where Lawson is very careful to stay off his back.
Penn State 18 - 17 Iowa

Overall: 149 and 174 are the key matches that could swing either way. I gave them to Iowa since the meet is in Carver but if Penn State can win one or both of those matches they could blow the dual open. Outside of those two matches it is going to come down to bonus points - can Iowa get a pin at 133 and how many extra points can Penn State get out of 165 and 184?

MalleusDei
Mar 21, 2007

BlindSite posted:

Honestly doesn't surprise me in the least. I get a bit pissed off with BJJ in general when you get into the nitty gritty of who trained who and where and what the competition rules and how they work are.

It's part of the reason that any time I've competed I've trained harder and come up with game plans, but haven't gone while wearing my patches or representing my club. I have an iron on cartoon sakuraba that I have on the shoulder of one gi though and I wear a sakuraba shirt around for shits and giggles.

It's not surprising that a sport that lacks serious regulation because it's caught between professional and amatuer at most levels is corrupt as gently caress.

I'm interested to see how this all plays out, if anything happens at all. My school is a Carlson Gracie affiliate. We actually had Junior in for a belt promotion/seminar thing since I've been training. I know my instructor is legit, but there was some drama around the patches, and the competition team name recently. Something like Junior wanted some extra cash to keep the Carlson Gracie name on the patch, so we ended up getting different patches with just the instructor's name on them.

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

MalleusDei posted:

I'm interested to see how this all plays out, if anything happens at all. My school is a Carlson Gracie affiliate. We actually had Junior in for a belt promotion/seminar thing since I've been training. I know my instructor is legit, but there was some drama around the patches, and the competition team name recently. Something like Junior wanted some extra cash to keep the Carlson Gracie name on the patch, so we ended up getting different patches with just the instructor's name on them.

That's one of the things I love about my current coach. He's been around long enough, and is respected enough that he doesn't have to claim any association and doesn't give a poo poo about things like patches.

MalleusDei
Mar 21, 2007

ch3cooh posted:

That's one of the things I love about my current coach. He's been around long enough, and is respected enough that he doesn't have to claim any association and doesn't give a poo poo about things like patches.

Yeah, I would think my coach could do the same, but he's definitely in to having people represent the club with patches, especially if they're doing a competition. The Jiu-Jitsu is top notch at least. :unsmith:

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

MalleusDei posted:

Yeah my school was a Carlson Gracie affiliate and we just switched affiliations. My instructor said it was just a giant pain in the rear end trying to get anything done with them on the business side and next to impossible to get anybody out for seminars or anything.

e: and yeah I could totally lose all the goddamn patch bullshit for competing

Dave Grool fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Dec 21, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Lost For Words posted:

Yeah my school was a Carlson Gracie affiliate and we just switched affiliations. My instructor said it was just a giant pain in the rear end trying to get anything done with them on the business side and next to impossible to get anybody out for seminars or anything.

e: and yeah I could totally lose all the goddamn patch bullshit for competing

Honestly I don't think anyone should be at all surprised by this. The only reason for the obsession that BJJ schools have with lineage/patches is for the money. And at an individual level I don't fault guys for it. At this point a lot of BJJ instructors teach BJJ for their livelihood and they gotta do what they gotta do. The only reason Judo is any better is because most Judo instructors are volunteers who are just happy to have people to work out with. Basically all that is happening here is exactly what happens at 1,000 different TKD schools across the country.

Separately, last year's Penn State @ Iowa dual meet is on the Big Ten Network now. The live broadcast of this year's meet starts at 9 EST.

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Dec 22, 2013