Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT

Super Aggro Crag posted:

No offense but those might be the ugliest wheels I've ever seen. Why didn't you just get steelies for the winter?

None taken, I'm aware they're not the best-looking. Was actually having this discussion last night. I had a set lined up on CL but at the last minute the guy figured out that the bolt pattern was wrong, and I was about to drive out and check out how it looked on the car. All other leads to wheels were either crap shape, wrong pattern, size, etc.

So when the time came to get a winter set of wheels and tires, I went with the cheapest set of wheels possible. Those were the ones. If I didn't have medical bills to pay I probably would have sprung for something better.

Then two weeks later I found a wheel set that would have fit and was cheaper. Ah well, I'll most likely sell them when the winters tires are done. My next plan of action is to plastidip them. Not sure what color though.

Night Danger Moose posted:

I've only seen one ST running around the Annapolis area but drat if it's not sexy. Ford did really well with that package. It just sits so right. Nice ride, Ringo.

Thanks! I honestly was all about getting an Abarth, but when I went to the Chicago Autoshow earlier this year and saw and sat in a ST, I changed my mind. All the curves, super-functional interior, fun amount of horsepower and torque, and the space to haul stuff. I've already stuffed a 50-inch TV in there, a gas grill, some tables.

The mudflaps have been my favorite thing I've done to it. The company even packs in a mint with each package.

Now it just needs to snow.

Ringo Star Get fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Dec 5, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Ringo Star Get posted:

That photobomb is an avatar waiting to happen.

Here's my '13 Focus ST with ugly winter rims with winter tires for the winter season. Put mudflaps on it a few months ago and now I'm looking to replace the foglight bulbs to yellow bulbs.

Can't wait for summer to come back. Never owned a car with summer tires before and it was a blast in warmer weather.

Don't bother changing the bulbs. Just get some 3M yellow film and cut to shape. Get the colour change and foglight protection.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

meatpimp posted:

I don't know which is worse... the wing or the license plate.

I'm fond of the broken exhaust hanger, myself.

WolfenFilms
Aug 24, 2013

Give me my damn Oscar already you jerks.

Carteret posted:

I'm fond of the broken exhaust hanger, myself.
I was just surprised the state let me have that plate...

Yeah, I've had the car since March and making repairs as I go, most of which won't come until the snow goes away here.

I don't know why, but I've come to like the Wing. It gives me a good place to put my drinks when I'm working on other things.

Well, that's just how the hell it goes I guess.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Super Aggro Crag posted:

No offense but those might be the ugliest wheels I've ever seen. Why didn't you just get steelies for the winter?

In most instances these days steelies are either more expensive because of the increase in steel prices or not available in the right size/offset. You can get hideous alloys for $80/wheel in a lot of instances.

arts and craps
Nov 20, 2011

Somewhat Heroic posted:

In most instances these days steelies are either more expensive because of the increase in steel prices or not available in the right size/offset. You can get hideous alloys for $80/wheel in a lot of instances.

my local junkyard sells steel wheels for $15 each

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

a real rear end nigga posted:

my local junkyard sells steel wheels for $15 each

Doesn't help if the only ones they have are the wrong bolt pattern / offset / too small to fit around your big rear end brakes.

Poisonlizard
Apr 1, 2007

Sockington posted:

Don't bother changing the bulbs. Just get some 3M yellow film and cut to shape. Get the colour change and foglight protection.

I bought the film to do my ST, but haven't gotten it yet. The stupid clips that hold the bezel in place are a huge pain.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
That film is very forgiving. I just cut it a little oversized for my MS3 and stuffed it in or trimmed it down with an exacto knife.

Poisonlizard
Apr 1, 2007
Yea, that's probably what I'll end up doing. The lenses are just so deep in there, it's going to be a pain either way.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

November in New England

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
How many bodies have been left in that river?

December in Nevada. Rest of dash in rear seat. At least the goddamn recirculation flap is closed now. Yes, it's a slushbox. Shut up. I don't trust my left arm for full duty until it gets repaired. :v:

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

You Am I posted:

Desperately needs an Unimog or Bushmaster

https://www.australianfrontlinemachinery.com.au/

Its not that impossible... I'd have a mog (and probably drive the fucker to work) in a heartbeat if I didnt still have a loan for the landcruiser :(

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
I've sadly done away with my Saabaru. It had an external head gasket leak and needed over 1500 dollars of other work done to it. I was tired of throwing money at it and fearing it's eventual failure. That along mediocre fuel economy and premium gasoline requirements.

I replaced it with this:

It's a 2014 Mazda 3 i Touring package with a six speed manual. Everything I wanted except for heated seats and nothing I didn't.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

mutt2jeff
Oct 2, 2004
The one, the only....

sigtrap posted:

Still dirty from the drive home...

My job is taking my back to the Palouse, when I see that running around it will warm my heart.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Wrar posted:

I've sadly done away with my Saabaru. It had an external head gasket leak and needed over 1500 dollars of other work done to it. I was tired of throwing money at it and fearing it's eventual failure. That along mediocre fuel economy and premium gasoline requirements.

I replaced it with this:

It's a 2014 Mazda 3 i Touring package with a six speed manual. Everything I wanted except for heated seats and nothing I didn't.

Welcome to the Mazda club. I hope you enjoy it a lot.

Veegie
Jan 6, 2011

One last edit from my recent photos.

doogle
May 24, 2003

My current DD. Has a few problems (no ebrake, no gauges, crabs badly) but I love it.

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

Patron Saint of Chickencheese

You Am I posted:

Desperately needs an Unimog or Bushmaster

The Volvo is basically a swedish unimog - Portal axles, locking diffs, etc.

Oddly enough the same place we got the 5 ton from is now selling off old MRAP's so we could get an oversized bushmaster...

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

doogle posted:

Has a few problems

I can see more than a few. :stare:

Is that a farm truck or something? It looks like it rolled down every single mountain in the background.

Pivit
Oct 14, 2012

And the Itsy Bitsy Spider
went up the spout again.

Maker Of Shoes posted:

I can see more than a few. :stare:

Is that a farm truck or something? It looks like it rolled down every single mountain in the background.

For a truck in what looks to be Afghanistan that is probably considered pretty good shape.

Hot Cops
Apr 27, 2008

doogle posted:

Has a few problems (no ebrake, no gauges, crabs badly)

your .50 cal seems to be missing as well

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Hot Cops posted:

your .50 cal seems to be missing as well

Seriously

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

That Hilux is in pretty good condition. Might be worth giving the interior a wipe down though, it is a bit dusty

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

I'm going to disagree with everyone else and say that Hilux is just right. Properly beat to poo poo but still rolling along just fine.

drat I miss having a beater pickup truck.

Gorillian Dollars
Jan 22, 2012

We are selling to willing buyers at the current fair market price, even if we know it has no value.
It's a Hilux in its natural state, there would be serious questions about its pedigree if it was delivered without dents, scratches, dirt/mud or holes in the windshield.
No E-Brake? That's a feature! It'll survive a nuclear blast, and the airbag might cushion the resulting blow for the occupant.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
You can't kill those (at least with the inline 4) and it doesn't look like anyone has really tried to kill that one yet.

gently caress, I'd drive that every day if I lived in NYC. Automatically win right of way everywhere if you want it.

doogle
May 24, 2003

You Am I posted:

That Hilux is in pretty good condition. Might be worth giving the interior a wipe down though, it is a bit dusty

The driver's side window was shot out so there is no point, pretty much everything is a dirt road so it gets dusty immediately.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Hot Cops posted:

your PKM seems to be missing as well

Fixed to reflect proper Soviet surplus aftermarket parts.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

doogle posted:

The driver's side window was shot out so there is no point, pretty much everything is a dirt road so it gets dusty immediately.

Plastic bags are your window friend :)

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.
A little over a year and a half ago I bought a 2010 Hyundai Elantra Blue with 24k miles on it. I was suitably impressed, though it was an older car. But because my credit was so crappy, I wound up with an 18% interest loan. In the time since, I've had to have the engine replaced because it blew the main crankshaft seal (under warranty thank God) and the steering rack (also under warranty). I also found that the tires were almost worn through and the brakes were bad. But all-in-all, I liked it. The quality was a huge leap above the 2000's models. My only real complaint was the Blue's odd gearing in the transmission, which often left me in between gears in normal traffic. Good gas mileage, too, until the tires and breaks reared their ugly heads.

Fast forward to last weekend, when I pulled my credit reports and found that my scores had increased a whopping 200 points. Figuring it was time to get out from under the lovely loan, I stopped by to talk to my friendly salesman at the dealership where I bought the Blue. At first, I was simply there to discuss the 2013 leftovers and the new 2014s. I had my heart set on the 200hp Veloster Turbo, but it proved to be out of reach (considering how far upside down I still was on the Blue). However, there was a beautiful desert bronze Elantra with the 6 speed transmission, with loads of cash incentives and a low enough sticker price to make it worth the trade in. Because of the improvement in my credit, I even got a 4.99% interest rate!

Well, without further ado, here's my brand new baby. Hyundai definitely has some of the best looking entry-level cars on the market today.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Wait. You had to have the entire engine replaced because the crank seal blew out?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

kastein posted:

Wait. You had to have the entire engine replaced because the crank seal blew out?

I can think of two reasons:

1) The crankshaft itself was scored to the point where replacing the seal alone wouldn't do the trick, and Hyundai doesn't subscribe to Ford's solution of "speedisleeve it!". Replacing the crank is more labor intensive / expensive to Hyundai than just swapping the engine

2) The rear main seal failure was followed by quickly dumping the contents of the oil sump, followed by lots of expensive noises from the engine.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

anonumos posted:

A little over a year and a half ago I bought a 2010 Hyundai Elantra Blue with 24k miles on it. I was suitably impressed, though it was an older car. But because my credit was so crappy, I wound up with an 18% interest loan. In the time since, I've had to have the engine replaced because it blew the main crankshaft seal (under warranty thank God) and the steering rack (also under warranty). I also found that the tires were almost worn through and the brakes were bad. But all-in-all, I liked it. The quality was a huge leap above the 2000's models. My only real complaint was the Blue's odd gearing in the transmission, which often left me in between gears in normal traffic. Good gas mileage, too, until the tires and breaks reared their ugly heads.

Fast forward to last weekend, when I pulled my credit reports and found that my scores had increased a whopping 200 points. Figuring it was time to get out from under the lovely loan, I stopped by to talk to my friendly salesman at the dealership where I bought the Blue. At first, I was simply there to discuss the 2013 leftovers and the new 2014s. I had my heart set on the 200hp Veloster Turbo, but it proved to be out of reach (considering how far upside down I still was on the Blue). However, there was a beautiful desert bronze Elantra with the 6 speed transmission, with loads of cash incentives and a low enough sticker price to make it worth the trade in. Because of the improvement in my credit, I even got a 4.99% interest rate!

Well, without further ado, here's my brand new baby. Hyundai definitely has some of the best looking entry-level cars on the market today.

This phrase make sense "low enough sticker price to make it worth the trade in", sounds like you got fleeced on the trade in value. You probably just paid like $5,000 to upgrade to an elantra that is almost identical to your blue elantra. :suicide:

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

kastein posted:

That's what the service department said.

IOwnCalculus posted:

I can think of two reasons:

1) The crankshaft itself was scored to the point where replacing the seal alone wouldn't do the trick, and Hyundai doesn't subscribe to Ford's solution of "speedisleeve it!". Replacing the crank is more labor intensive / expensive to Hyundai than just swapping the engine

2) The rear main seal failure was followed by quickly dumping the contents of the oil sump, followed by lots of expensive noises from the engine.

Basically number 2 except it didn't make any noise. loving thing kept on trucking until I went to change the oil and noticed there wasn't any.

coolskillrex remix posted:

This phrase make sense "low enough sticker price to make it worth the trade in", sounds like you got fleeced on the trade in value. You probably just paid like $5,000 to upgrade to an elantra that is almost identical to your blue elantra. :suicide:

A lot less than that, actually. I may have misphrased that, though. Point is, the 2013 was within my price range. I did pay a premium, but I really needed to get out from under that 18% loan. In the year and a half I owned it I only managed to pay it down by 2 grand, even with paying more than the minimum payment. I'll pay the new loan off much more quickly, which made it worthwhile to me.

I got almost 10k trade-in value, plus $2000 more incentives, plus a healthy down payment.

And the 2013 is seriously as far ahead of the 2010 Blue as the Blue was from a 2005 Elantra. They have really improved a lot.

But then again, I'm not one to brag about my financial savvy, as evidenced by my really crappy credit 2 years ago. I have been "good" enough at managing my finances lately that my scores climbed by 200 points since buying the Blue.

Edit: The financial hole I'm in is beside the point. Look at my beautiful new car!

anonumos fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Dec 10, 2013

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
Shame about the engine though. Didn't Hyundai just replace Toyota for #1 in some survey about repairs that trigger a check engine light? What I couldn't figure out about that list was why Kia was like #8 since they're the same engines.

Edit: oh yeah, here's the pdf file: https://static.carmd.com:444/CMSResources/file/pdf/CarMD_2013VHITopManufacturers_fullIndex_embargo120313f.pdf
I guess the survey factors in costs so if they've all got 10 year warranties that must be keeping costs consumers pay down.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

davebo posted:

Shame about the engine though. Didn't Hyundai just replace Toyota for #1 in some survey about repairs that trigger a check engine light? What I couldn't figure out about that list was why Kia was like #8 since they're the same engines.

Edit: oh yeah, here's the pdf file: https://static.carmd.com:444/CMSResources/file/pdf/CarMD_2013VHITopManufacturers_fullIndex_embargo120313f.pdf
I guess the survey factors in costs so if they've all got 10 year warranties that must be keeping costs consumers pay down.

The best thing about it is that the car purred after the new engine was put in. It was night and day and I facepalmed myself hard for not noticing the engine troubles before.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

anonumos posted:

A little over a year and a half ago I bought a 2010 Hyundai Elantra Blue with 24k miles on it. I was suitably impressed, though it was an older car.

In early 2012 you bought a MY2010 car. That's pretty much a new car, not an older car, man. My newest car is a 2005, and that's still a pretty new car.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

PCOS Bill posted:

In early 2012 you bought a MY2010 car. That's pretty much a new car, not an older car, man. My newest car is a 2005, and that's still a pretty new car.

Too true. Up until now my newest car was a 2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport. This is my first brand new car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

You bought a brand new car to use as a cup holder? Brother you've gotta take care of that!