Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Archonex posted:

Hilariously enough, you have a 100 percent chance to get shotgun shells from the daily cache payout. This probably is to offset how lovely they are without specializing in them. Nowhere in the game did I see a tip that pointed that out to the player, which lead me to assume that shotguns were more of a joke weapon than anything else.

That actually can potentially make them really goddamn useful for longer term high difficulty/low resource games, provided you train someone up to use them.

I stopped being a fan of shotguns in Breakdown, and I'm only on difficulty 3 right now. It used to be fun to run around and shotgun anything you see in the face, but now it's way too easy for things to spiral out of control with such loud weapons. Which is a shame really, as the only 2 really interesting gun specialties (shotgun & revolver) can't be silenced, and are all super loud. All the other specialties are barely worth having. Like Rifles, which literally does nothing on PC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Tommofork posted:

Is there ever any reason not to use the Alamo as a base? :colbert: It is the best base by far in terms of awesome poo poo going down right outside your door and there's plenty of interesting places to go within walking distance.

Amen to that. There aren't many bases I don't like (pretty much just the stupid OP'd warehouse, and also I'm not fond of the workshop situation at Kirkman), but the Alamo is definitely the one with the most panache and most awesome action happening constantly.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Trustworthy posted:

Amen to that. There aren't many bases I don't like (pretty much just the stupid OP'd warehouse, and also I'm not fond of the workshop situation at Kirkman), but the Alamo is definitely the one with the most panache and most awesome action happening constantly.

For a lark I altered the loot tables to cheese myself an M16 for every survivor. I think I will set up at the Alamo next, with zero outposts, and begin my re-enactment of Zombinam.

I should have brought more military guys in fatigues.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got
Why aren't my cars being repaired at Snyder? It has a built-in workshop. I thought at worst without a mechanic the body/tires would get repaired but it doesn't seem like it. Do I keep looking for survivors hoping for a mechanic?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Knightmare posted:

Why aren't my cars being repaired at Snyder? It has a built-in workshop. I thought at worst without a mechanic the body/tires would get repaired but it doesn't seem like it. Do I keep looking for survivors hoping for a mechanic?

You're parking them in the spaces, right? I was accidently parking cars in between them and it wouldn't repair.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Ugly In The Morning posted:

You're parking them in the spaces, right? I was accidently parking cars in between them and it wouldn't repair.

I'm pretty sure. I feel dumb since I posted here a lot in June helping people out and now I'm stumped.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Knightmare posted:

I'm pretty sure. I feel dumb since I posted here a lot in June helping people out and now I'm stumped.

Sometimes Snyder's workshop goes into 'Real' workshop, which only repairs Tires/Body, not engine. This is why you need out Delete Built-In Mods.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
Yeah, Snyder's workshop is randomized. Sometimes you get a fully-upgraded machine shop that will do everything, sometimes you get only a basic workshop. It's honestly pretty dumb, because you can't upgrade it, so if you get shafted by the RNG you're just stuck with a crap facility.

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

Imagine cutting into a Barry White Song.
Does the workshop in Snyders change between levels in breakdown?

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Mister Bates posted:

Yeah, Snyder's workshop is randomized. Sometimes you get a fully-upgraded machine shop that will do everything, sometimes you get only a basic workshop. It's honestly pretty dumb, because you can't upgrade it, so if you get shafted by the RNG you're just stuck with a crap facility.

I think if you have a Tools Expert in your group when you do the cleanup of the workshop, it gives you the machine shop, and if not, just the workshop. Every time I've gone to Snyders, it's followed this pattern. Doesn't matter if you get the Tools Expert later, has to be when you do the cleanup.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Dude that was having Snyder workshop issues, can you take a screenshot with the workshop highlighted in your journal? I just want to see the official in game name of the workshop.

Also Archonex, you can copy the action below onto the actions section of the built in facility variants to make them destroyable. In game\libs\class3.1\rts\facilities.xml of the breakdownc.pak.

Important bits are OutputDelayTime="15m" which makes it take 15 minutes to destroy, and the variables in the input section. I made this example cost 10 materials and 50 influence because why not. I'm considering making destroying all buildings cost materials because I hate fun. :v:

code:
		<Action ActionFlags="DelayOutputs" ActionId="Destroy" ActionType="Action.Destroy" ExecuteTimeStandard="0.0" OutputDelayTime="15m" PauseWhenOffline="" WantDelay="4h" WantDelayEnd="15m" WantDelayStart="2m" WantOdds="0" WantScene="activity_NewOpp_Want">
              <DescriptionText Flags="" Notes="" Text="Free up this space for something else." />
              <RTSActionIcon Name="Delete" Id="6" />
              <NameText Flags="" Notes="" Text="Remove" />
              <Actors />
              <Alts />
              <Effects />
              <Inputs>
                <Input InputAmount="1" InputFlags="" InputId="Capacity.Labor" />
		<Spend InputAmount="10" InputFlags="Required" InputId="Stockpile.Materials" />
                <Spend InputAmount="50" InputFlags="Required" InputId="Family.Influence" />
              </Inputs>
              <Outputs>
                <Facility_Destroy ActorIndex="-1" />
              </Outputs>
              <Wants />
            </Action>

lunatikfringe
Jan 22, 2003

Skandranon posted:

I think if you have a Tools Expert in your group when you do the cleanup of the workshop, it gives you the machine shop, and if not, just the workshop. Every time I've gone to Snyders, it's followed this pattern. Doesn't matter if you get the Tools Expert later, has to be when you do the cleanup.

There is a lot of game logic like this that gets misunderstood I feel. It makes sense that a mechanic would be able to turn it into a machine shop, but an electrician wouldn't. Another is the use of ranged weapons by the AI. Ranged should be a last resort due to scarcity of ammo and threat of attracting more zombies with gunfire.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

lunatikfringe posted:

There is a lot of game logic like this that gets misunderstood I feel. It makes sense that a mechanic would be able to turn it into a machine shop, but an electrician wouldn't. Another is the use of ranged weapons by the AI. Ranged should be a last resort due to scarcity of ammo and threat of attracting more zombies with gunfire.

The problem with the latter thing is that they just don't fire most of the time.

You can test the shooting thing out yourself, in fact. Edit the radioptions.xml file to make it so you can summon SWAT backup at any time. Watch as they ignore 95 percent of all zombies and only occasionally pop off a snap shot.

Their NPC name in the code is listed as mercenary by the way, if you want to look up the code handling how they shoot. There's a bunch of rules for handling shooting/firing types commented out as well. I need to track all of that stuff down to see if it can be re-enabled. If so that could probably fix that particular issue.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Dec 10, 2013

Kasonic
Mar 6, 2007

Tenth Street Reds, representing
I really hope the next DLC is either A) A couple random new maps to spawn in on Breakdown, or B) An extensive polishing to fix a lot of AI issues like this and perhaps deepen the gameplay a bit.

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

Not sure if I'm the only one it's happened to, but after going to next Breakdown level, the default storage at Snyder is labeled as "Alamo storage" or something to that effect. Not really a big deal, just thought I'd let you know.

Mental Midget
Apr 18, 2005

We're glad you could play SQIV. As usual, you've been a real pantload.

Kasonic posted:

I really hope the next DLC is either A) A couple random new maps to spawn in on Breakdown, or B) An extensive polishing to fix a lot of AI issues like this and perhaps deepen the gameplay a bit.

I hope it's both of those things! Otherwise honestly I won't be too excited to spend more money on the game. Don't get me wrong, the game is great, and I've gotten my money's worth out of it, but the full initial game plus Breakdown is enough for me without having to deal with the same AI bugs and the same broken gameplay quirks as the last 2 iterations. Also, yes even Trumbull County has gotten old for me after about 50 hours of play across 360 and PC.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Is it just me, or does the difficulty spike way up at level 3? It's not so bad if you've been leveling and stocking up over level 2 to 3, but starting fresh at Level 3, there were loads of runner zombies, hardly any cars, and there were enclaves already squatting in the Church base, and most of the local area had already been looted.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
I had a Wall Repairs, -10 Materials chance card come up imediately after starting the next level, so I had to go loot some materials just to settle whatever house is in the first town. Man that was bullshit.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
This game feels like everything I've always wanted in a survival game. I just got to the point where I can upgrade buildings and I feel like I've barely scratched the surface. I hope this is the leap forward that this genre needed and I hope companies push it forward and build on it.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
Aw man, is the Ranger Station unavailable in Breakdown? It's still marked as a potential base, but having cleared it out I'm still unable to move there (plenty of fame, resources, etc.). I've trying a bunch of things but keep getting a "can't do that" error dialogue.

UNNNGH I HAVE A GIMMICK ALAN PLAYTHROUGH READY TO GO HERE!

Kasonic
Mar 6, 2007

Yeah, if I remember correctly the Ranger Station is bugged and impossible to re-settle.

Maybe one of the elite hackers in the thread have found something in the code-tangle of this game.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
The Ranger Station has a grand total of two building slots, IIRC, so if it can be settled it would be even smaller than the Alamo and literally the worst home site in the game.

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011

Mister Bates posted:

The Ranger Station has a grand total of two building slots, IIRC, so if it can be settled it would be even smaller than the Alamo and literally the worst home site in the game.

Probably not a lot of hordes, though!

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Flame112 posted:

Every time I go up to the Ranger Station on supply runs I end up in the middle of at least 3 hordes, so I think you'd be unpleasantly surprised.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Yeah, I almost lost Maya to a shitload of hordes when I went to get that goddamn fish watch for Lily.

Mental Midget
Apr 18, 2005

We're glad you could play SQIV. As usual, you've been a real pantload.
Regarding the Ranger Station in Breakdown, take note that the bridge is not there. I learned this the hard way when I hit the gap with a cop car at full speed. I didn't clear the jump.

The ranger station is pretty much a pain to incorporate in a playthrough of breakdown because of the aforementioned bridge situation. No, I don't think I want to drive all the way to the trashed bridge, climb down a cliff, climb up another cliff, and run through the woods on foot for 5 minutes just so I can help you clear out an infestation in some cabin. Basically what I'm saying is if you're an NPC in my game and you're in trouble over by the National Park, you're hosed.

quote:

Is it just me, or does the difficulty spike way up at level 3? It's not so bad if you've been leveling and stocking up over level 2 to 3, but starting fresh at Level 3, there were loads of runner zombies, hardly any cars, and there were enclaves already squatting in the Church base, and most of the local area had already been looted.

I think RNG has a lot to do with it, I really only started feeling the sting of increased difficulty at level 4. About 30 seconds after moving into my first homebase, I got a TOO MANY HORDES message with about 6 hordes all hoofing for Savini House, and not a car in sight. Luckily the 70+ petrol bombs I'd been stockpiling up to that point got some good use.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Mental Midget posted:

Regarding the Ranger Station in Breakdown, take note that the bridge is not there. I learned this the hard way when I hit the gap with a cop car at full speed. I didn't clear the jump.

It's actually pretty easy to clear that jump in any car except the lovely blue pickup, as long as you make sure to hit it dead straight. After some experimentation and practice, I have about an 80% success rate clearing it :v:

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Flame112 posted:

Actually there's enough sites to loot that yeah, you want an outpost north of the bridge.

I just got Breakdown on XBox and it's pretty rad so far, I got my rear end kicked right away but my second try is doing fine and I'm about to move to a new safehouse. Survivor Enclaves at the ranger lodge area's very northern edge are The Worst Thing when you don't even have enough loot to build a medical building and everyone sick/tired out of the gate..!

This is the SoD I was hoping for. :unsmith:

Kasonic
Mar 6, 2007

This game hits a weird point in Breakdown, where I've got truckloads of assault rifles, bombs, swords, all the opiates an addict could want, and 15 other survivors sharing the bunks with my A-Team. But I'm still constantly hurting for medicine and materials. The Fairgrounds have 3 rucks full of delicious carpentry accessories parked right by the main entrance, but I'm in Snyder and getting really tied of making that drive :psypop:

Just feels strange.

edit: vvvv The Alamo is a really fun HQ because it's also really busy. You'll be pulling a train of zombies form almost any approach, and hordes pass that intersection all the time. Every supply run you'll be coming home to the wonderful sound of automatic gunfire.

The getting attacked while AFK at your supply vault is kind of annoying though

Kasonic fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Dec 11, 2013

lunatikfringe
Jan 22, 2003

Archonex posted:

It's also got better defensive AI than the Savini residence. I've yet to see more than the guy in the watchtower defend Savini with guns. But the Alamo will, with enough survivors with guns on standby, sometimes set up a straight up zombie style turkey shoot.

You'll know when it happens since they'll be positioned at every corner of the roof, blowing away zombies like it's no big deal. If you've got a couple people with grenade launchers it gets hilarious since they carpet the entire area of the town in mortar-like explosions.

Granted, if the AI was fixed so that they did this all the time Savini might be better. But i'm not sure if they have as many defensive points as the Alamo does.

Is the Alamo the only homesite with AI that works decently? If so I am tempted at another playthrough just to hold the Alamo :patriot:

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Karl Sharks posted:

Not sure if I'm the only one it's happened to, but after going to next Breakdown level, the default storage at Snyder is labeled as "Alamo storage" or something to that effect. Not really a big deal, just thought I'd let you know.

That was an issue with my first take at removable buildings. I posted a fix a bit later after I worked it out.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zfle687i9k4mfs1/DestroyableBuiltInFixed.zip

If you were using the fixed version let me know as that shouldn't be happening and wasn't when I was testing.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Tommofork posted:

That was an issue with my first take at removable buildings. I posted a fix a bit later after I worked it out.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zfle687i9k4mfs1/DestroyableBuiltInFixed.zip

If you were using the fixed version let me know as that shouldn't be happening and wasn't when I was testing.

It's not your mod, I'm getting the same bug on the 360 version, which literally can't be modded.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe
Another bug I just came across on the 360 version, Chemical Incendiaries are broken and can't be built. They don't see the Med Lab for some reason.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Mister Bates posted:

It's not your mod, I'm getting the same bug on the 360 version, which literally can't be modded.

Huh. Well, ok.

Jonny Retro posted:

Another bug I just came across on the 360 version, Chemical Incendiaries are broken and can't be built. They don't see the Med Lab for some reason.

That's in the PC version too. There's a typo telling the workshop to look for a type of medical building that doesn't exist.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
So I tried the Kirkman residence and it's hilariously good for starting out on when starting out on Breakdown. With six outposts you can pretty much cover the entire city when you use the set traps option, making for really easy powerlooting of everything. Do a minimum amount of upgrading (probably just an infirmary and storage area) and you can stockpile resources and a bunch of weapons before moving on to the Fairgrounds or Warehouse.

Tibeerius
Feb 22, 2007
I don't know if it's a problem with Breakdown, a Title Update, or myself, but my "success" in flipping over cars has skyrocketed. Is this happening to anyone else?

Also, I made a point to stockpile resources before moving on to Level 3 (since someone said earlier that they carry over), but it didn't seem to have any impact. When Level 3 began, I only had 10x Food, 10x Medicine, 30x Materials, etc... which looked to me like hard-coded values. Is this what other people are experiencing? I kind of hope it is, since resource-hoarding isn't very fun.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

OldMemes posted:

It definitely is a very large boost. Going from 2 to 3 really has seemed like the biggest jump to me. All the levels after that seem to really just be slightly increasing the total number of zombies and boosting spawn rates of special zombies. Also, get used to houses being looted, the higher the level you go to the fewer resources you get. I'm at level 6 now and "Found Nothing" seems to be rapidly becoming the new normal :(.

Atmus posted:

I had a Wall Repairs, -10 Materials chance card come up imediately after starting the next level, so I had to go loot some materials just to settle whatever house is in the first town. Man that was bullshit.
How do you even get wall repairs when you don't have any walls?! Anyway, after getting all the way up to level 6 the best trick that I've found is to make a mad dash at the very start of a level to get 3-4 rucksacks of materials and make friends with whatever enclaves are nearby ASAP. Once you recruit them *bam* you've got ten people and 50+ supplies and you can immediately move into Snyder or the Fairgrounds as your very first base. I did that on levels 4-6 and it works wonderfully. Saves you the time and trouble of setting up temporarily in one of the smaller bases and wasting materials you won't get back on creating workshops and what not.

Kasonic posted:

edit: vvvv The Alamo is a really fun HQ because it's also really busy. You'll be pulling a train of zombies form almost any approach, and hordes pass that intersection all the time. Every supply run you'll be coming home to the wonderful sound of automatic gunfire.

The getting attacked while AFK at your supply vault is kind of annoying though
Seconding this. The Alamo may not be the best strategic home but it is arguably the most fun.

Tibeerius posted:

Also, I made a point to stockpile resources before moving on to Level 3 (since someone said earlier that they carry over), but it didn't seem to have any impact. When Level 3 began, I only had 10x Food, 10x Medicine, 30x Materials, etc... which looked to me like hard-coded values. Is this what other people are experiencing? I kind of hope it is, since resource-hoarding isn't very fun.
I don't know who said they carry over but I'm almost certain they were mistaken. I've never seen my supplies carry over ( I ended level 5 last night with over 100 food and 60+ medical supplies). I'm pretty sure the game will always start you out with 10-10-10-30-0, just enough for you to settle into somewhere more defensible.

Also, fun fact that I found out while trying to unlock the grenadier hero: Apparently grenade launchers don't count as explosives! And I went through my entire stash of 60 plus grenades before I realized that :suicide:. Stick to nail bombs, folks.

Edit: also am I the only one who refuses to ever build medical facilities outside? Like, I get that it makes almost no real difference in actual gameplay but it just seems like sanitation wise you really don't want sick people lying out in the open...

InequalityGodzilla fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Dec 11, 2013

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Tibeerius posted:

I don't know if it's a problem with Breakdown, a Title Update, or myself, but my "success" in flipping over cars has skyrocketed. Is this happening to anyone else?

I've been experiencing this too, but I haven't played since June and forgot what it was like back then. All I remember is the car physics have always been a little goofy.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Does the vanilla game get any harder? Granted, I've played conservatively, and I'm still at the church (gotta go get doc) but zombie hordes are like 10 zombies, and infestations are super underwhelming. Im definitely going to finish the story mode as a way to familiarize myself with the map, but I'm already looking foward to installing the Romero mod, and whatever mod package the pros in this thread eventually put together. I expected serious resource scarcity, a reliance on stealth and proper hordes in my head. Instead I just drive everywhere and run hordes over. Breakdown really sounds like its what I wanted. I am really enjoying the game though, and the resource management is pretty cool. I like the outpost/resources system.

I don't have the knowledge to make data/line changes, so please make a copy/paste package or something soon :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000

Waroduce posted:

I expected serious resource scarcity, a reliance on stealth and proper hordes in my head.

This is basically Breakdown word for word.

• Locked thread