Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

Geez, I didn't ask for an RMA, I was just emailing them to ask if this was a problem or a known issue. They gave the RMA without me even hinting at one, and I wasn't expecting one. The first support email reply to my inquiry included the RMA link and shipping labels. Maybe tell Google they shouldn't be so generous or something?

I wasn't referring to you specifically, just in general trying to say Nexus 5's aren't shipping in a "broken" state. Issues always happen, but I'd be willing to bet the Google person you spoke with had been put through the XDA "YOU SOLD ME A DEFECTIVE PHONE MY BUTTON WIGGLES RMA NOW" ringer.

He/she probably just proactively offered the RMA to avoid a back and forth debate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.
Anyone with a Moto X figure out how to re-enable the stock homescreen clock? I figured it was in widgets but I can't find it at all.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Yes it's dusty in desert.

In my office, florescent light directly overhead.

Non HDR

HDR+

You can see the camera really trying to overprocess the hell out of these still.

Overall, quality is still meh. It's better but it's still no 5S or GS4. The camera speed though is amazing. Regular shots are drat near instant and taking an HDR shot is cut in half. Low light performance and shortening the minimum focus distance are vastly improved.

The camera should've dropped the exposure by a stop here - you could've gotten basically the same image as the HDR version that way.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

suddenlyissoon posted:

Anyone with a Moto X figure out how to re-enable the stock homescreen clock? I figured it was in widgets but I can't find it at all.

If it's anything like my GNex or Note, try deleting whatever clock you have there, then not replacing it with anything.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

XIII posted:

If it's anything like my GNex or Note, try deleting whatever clock you have there, then not replacing it with anything.
That works on the lockscreen but not the homescreen. Homescreen would just stay blank.

The standard AOSP clock widgets are called "Analogue clock" and "Digital clock". No idea if Motorola changed it.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

1st AD posted:

The camera should've dropped the exposure by a stop here - you could've gotten basically the same image as the HDR version that way.

Should have, yes. Camera software is not something Google is good at. Did I really want to wade through the terrible UI to drop the exposure on a phone that should be doing this on the fly like most users expect? Not really. I'm just glad it's usable now.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I'm not sure if this is a Moto X issue, or a WiFi issue. Sometimes my data speed over WiFi gets really slow, and I have to disable and reenable WiFi to get it to go full speed again. I seem to only notice this on Play Store downloads, but it may be effecting everything.

Tunga posted:

That works on the lockscreen but not the homescreen. Homescreen would just stay blank.

The standard AOSP clock widgets are called "Analogue clock" and "Digital clock". No idea if Motorola changed it.

I have both of those. Why did yours go away?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
My girlfriend's Moto X arrived today. We did the migrate function and it worked perfectly. She is incredibly excited about touchless controls. It's small and light and the screen on it is like Montana sky versus Shanghai sky on the Galaxy Nexus she'd been using. If I had to pick a replacement phone for my Nexus 5 it would be the Moto X without hesitation.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Tunga posted:

Derp. I totally thought he meant on the lockscreen. Don't know how I missed that.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

Cultural Imperial posted:

How long did it take? Did they only send you the new phone after receiving the defective one?

All in all it took less than a week for me. They sent the new one right away.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
Do Qi chargers work with phones inside gigantic fuckoff cases like the Otterbox Defender (2 layer case, one layer silicon and one hard plastic)? I like the idea of them for bedside charging but not if it means taking it out of the case every time.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Chin Strap posted:

Do Qi chargers work with phones inside gigantic fuckoff cases like the Otterbox Defender (2 layer case, one layer silicon and one hard plastic)? I like the idea of them for bedside charging but not if it means taking it out of the case every time.

Yes.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Wow, I have zero memory of posting that earlier in the thread. Sorry about that.

suddenlyissoon fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Dec 11, 2013

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

suddenlyissoon posted:

I somehow removed the stock clock (has the thicker hour, skinnier minutes) from my Moto X. I thought it would be easy enough to add to back by going to widgets but I'm not seeing it. Anyone know a way to get it back?

Should be the "digital clock" widget, no?

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

nimper posted:

Should be the "digital clock" widget, no?

You'd think that...I did too but it's not.

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

So Pawel Nolbert illustrated the kitkat wallpaper:

http://www.behance.net/gallery/Google-Android-KitKat-Wallpaper/12413727

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Did anyone else notice that the N5 speakerphone volume was reduced by about half with 4.4.2?

Before it could get obnoxiously loud at the cost of clipping, but at least you could go make a sandwich in the kitchen while still being able to hear your coworkers yakking.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
No. I had the opposite experience. The speaker was way too quiet pre 4.4.2

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Maker Of Shoes posted:

No. I had the opposite experience. The speaker was way too quiet pre 4.4.2

I had my phone on mute during the few days of 4.4.1 but .2 definately made the phone louder than 4.4

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Hadlock posted:

Did anyone else notice that the N5 speakerphone volume was reduced by about half with 4.4.2?

Nope, mine is much louder and even a bit clearer on 4.4.2

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

So how do you download the drat thing? Am I missing something?

suddenlyissoon fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Dec 11, 2013

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

suddenlyissoon posted:

So how do you download the drat thing? Am I missing something?
It's one of the built-in wallpapers for 4.4.
http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/11/03/download-8-wallpapers-from-android-4-4-kitkat/

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Thanks. I'm still sort of new to Android. Wasn't aware that my Moto X wouldn't get the stock wallpapers.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

suddenlyissoon posted:

Thanks. I'm still sort of new to Android. Wasn't aware that my Moto X wouldn't get the stock wallpapers.

Android police has all the stock wallpapers available. Use the Google.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

https://plus.google.com/+DannyHolyoake/posts/FkfBxA5i3iG

Looks like the reason why App Ops is gone on 4.4.2 is because it was never meant to be used by users anyway. Fanblogs blew it out of proportion and devs decided to hack their way in. So, Google removed it from 4.4.2 entirely.

However, it looks like changes made with App Ops on 4.4.1 and below still stick around in 4.4.2 (unless you fastbooted the OS). So, if you want/need functionality back, you will need to uninstall and reinstall the app. If it's something like Google Play Services, you probably need to factory reset. :v:

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Still hoping for a consumer version of this. To stick it to certain apps.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Combat Pretzel posted:

Still hoping for a consumer version of this. To stick it to certain apps.

Agreed. The comments on this on the AP article are hilarious though.

Most of them are going on about how Google either A: supports apps invading privacy, B: is snooping into data and don't want people to be able to stop it, C: iOS can do it, why not Android? Because Google is stealing all our data, D: Google doesn't really care about security on Android, and E: all of the above.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

CLAM DOWN posted:

Nope, mine is much louder and even a bit clearer on 4.4.2

Same here. Notifications are a lot louder on the usual setting I use at home.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Sereri posted:

I had my phone on mute during the few days of 4.4.1 but .2 definately made the phone louder than 4.4

Yeah I think it was the bridge I was on, the next call was much louder

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Anyone know what Media Server is and why it used 16% of my battery? Phone used 13%, but I haven't made or received any calls today. I'm on the 100 min/month plan, so actually phone is something I rarely use.

Cruseydr
May 18, 2010

I am not an atomic playboy.

FogHelmut posted:

Anyone know what Media Server is and why it used 16% of my battery? Phone used 13%, but I haven't made or received any calls today. I'm on the 100 min/month plan, so actually phone is something I rarely use.
Media server is music/games. Did you listen to anything?

Sometimes when you exit a poorly coded game it keeps playing the background. This can be discovered if you are in your launcher and the volume buttons change the media volume instead of the ringer volume. In that case you can pull up the recent apps and swipe away the offender.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

People really obsess over the battery. I wish they would just remove that section in the settings. On iOS only the crazy people download third party battery apps to go over the stats.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Cruseydr posted:

Media server is music/games. Did you listen to anything?

Sometimes when you exit a poorly coded game it keeps playing the background. This can be discovered if you are in your launcher and the volume buttons change the media volume instead of the ringer volume. In that case you can pull up the recent apps and swipe away the offender.

Ah. I was playing a game. But that had it's own entry. At one point, I did not exit the game, but rather just hit home. When I went back to it hours later, the game was paused where I left it. Maybe that's why? Or maybe running the game in the first place uses both.

Mu Zeta posted:

People really obsess over the battery. I wish they would just remove that section in the settings. On iOS only the crazy people download third party battery apps to go over the stats.

Just trying to figure out why it was abnormally drained, dude.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Mu Zeta posted:

Randomly high battery drain isn't an issue on iOS for the most part like it is sometimes on Android. That's why I got MAXX, never have to worry about the battery again.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I like to think that the Media Server is what the NSA uses to stream a live feed of your microphone to their client application :tinfoil:

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

I hope they also have access to my camera so they can see all photos of the cat I'm constantly talking to/about.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Only the auto-awesomed ones.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Google auto awesome voice mail

loving do it

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Cultural Imperial posted:

Google auto awesome voice mail

loving do it

Ever read a transcript?

What I'm saying is, they are already doing auto-awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpazRobot
Dec 21, 2004
I am Nomad.
4.4.2 made the camera on my N5 faster, but it didn't do anything about the awkward UI.

I've switched to Focal - is there anything better? https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=fr.xplod.focal

I'm a recent iOS convert so this is all new to me!

• Locked thread