Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cryingscarf
Feb 4, 2007

~*FaBuLoUs*~

Decided to get another corn snake. The breeder that I got Zelos from had some ROs this year and I have been eyeing them like crazy. She has a handful of them remaining and I am going to get this one :3: He was one of her keepers, but she decided to drop the RO project. Bonus: I get a hatch photo of him!

Other available snakes that I considered before deciding on captain derp up there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Ran
Mar 6, 2006

Don't try me.
I hate you people. I have a big ol' 50gal tank that's sitting empty, and now I'm dead set on filling it with a uromastyx. Someone talk me out of this, please?

Mistegirl
Aug 19, 2002

I'm a lizard. I have a hat. What else do you want?
:sassargh:SASS2013:sassargh:

rear end in a top hat casserole posted:

I hate you people. I have a big ol' 50gal tank that's sitting empty, and now I'm dead set on filling it with a uromastyx. Someone talk me out of this, please?

will this help?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dq_apH2y_bk

Crab Ran
Mar 6, 2006

Don't try me.

Oh my god, that is ridiculous :3:

You are no help at all!

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

I spent $1,000 on my computer but I'm too "poor" to take my dog or any of my animals to the vet for vet care. My neglect caused 1 of my birds to die prematurely! My dog pisses everywhere! I don't care! I'm a piece of shit! Don't believe me? Check my post history in Pet Island!
It looks cute but its really a fear reaction, shes submitting and going oh god leVeme aloooneeee

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!

Malalol posted:

It looks cute but its really a fear reaction, shes submitting and going oh god leVeme aloooneeee

Yeah this is what I thought immediately. Videos like these and the "flip your leopard gecko over and it goes to sleep" videos on youtube make me :gonk:. Reptiles just arent cute and cuddly animals, they aren't cats with scales. Sad but true :(

password is taco
Oct 23, 2012
I need help with my juvenile YBS amigos. They've become very picky with their foods. Angry is about 5" long, and Hangry is about 4.5" long if that helps this at all.

They seem to hate their current pellet mix (Fluker's) and just refuse to eat any greens. Doesn't matter what kind I tear up and offer them, they won't eat it. I tried offering greens until they cave, but nope, even if they're starving they won't bite. As soon as I drop in some meaty goodies, like worms and bugs, they go nuts. They even push away the greens to get to the good stuff. Same goes with the pellets - they might eat some, but let most of them just become dirt.

Any suggestions on what to do about these picky eaters, or a good pellet/stick mix they might like better? When they were hatchlings and a bit younger, I think I fed them the ZooMed Natural mix, and they gobbled it up like piggies.

They still get super excited when I shake the pellet jar though. It's so adorable fhauhfuahgu :kimchi:

WTF BEES
Feb 26, 2004

I think I just hit a creature?

password is taco posted:

Any suggestions on what to do about these picky eaters, or a good pellet/stick mix they might like better? When they were hatchlings and a bit younger, I think I fed them the ZooMed Natural mix, and they gobbled it up like piggies.

I assume YBS means yellow bellied slider? Since getting my musk turtle I've been feeding him ReptoMin pellets and he absolutely loves them! I also provide water lettuce and anacharis plants in his tank for him to nibble on and to improve water quality. He actually does a fair job of keeping the lettuce roots trimmed, which I here is rare for musks to be that interested in greens.

Also speaking of my turt, somebody got a new home!

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

password is taco posted:

I tried offering greens until they cave, but nope, even if they're starving they won't bite.
How long are you playing the tough love card for? Some people cave after a few days, rather than the couple of weeks that it may take for a turtle to give in.

Crab Ran
Mar 6, 2006

Don't try me.

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Yeah this is what I thought immediately. Videos like these and the "flip your leopard gecko over and it goes to sleep" videos on youtube make me :gonk:. Reptiles just arent cute and cuddly animals, they aren't cats with scales. Sad but true :(

It's ok. I have no real need to have interaction with my herps beyond feeding and cleaning. I know they don't want much from me other than being left alone. The FedEx guy is still delivering a yellow Niger uromastyx to me in the morning! :3:

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
You best be posting pics of your new friend!

Crab Ran
Mar 6, 2006

Don't try me.

Dr. Clockwork posted:

You best be posting pics of your new friend!

Hell yeah. Say hi to Zinder. My apologies for lovely photos.

ETA: The color change is amazing after he got all warmed up under his awesome UVA/UVB lamp

Crab Ran fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Nov 23, 2013

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

This is Fancy Yancy, a jungle carpet from Palmerston locality animals recently imported from Europe. Even though he doesn't have the serious yellows some JCPs have, I love him. He is such a sweetie and has a great stripe.

Anyone with one or two snakes, I absolutely recommend some kind of carpet python as your next. They can start out bitey, but are the perfect balance between big and not scary big. Plus, the morphs are really starting to look awesome if that is what you are looking for.

Crab Ran
Mar 6, 2006

Don't try me.

HungryMedusa posted:

This is Fancy Yancy, a jungle carpet from Palmerston locality animals recently imported from Europe. Even though he doesn't have the serious yellows some JCPs have, I love him. He is such a sweetie and has a great stripe.

Anyone with one or two snakes, I absolutely recommend some kind of carpet python as your next. They can start out bitey, but are the perfect balance between big and not scary big. Plus, the morphs are really starting to look awesome if that is what you are looking for.

Gorgeous!

Fickle Pickle
Jul 23, 2013
Hey, Reptile thread. I've finally convinced my partner that Western Hogs are adorable, and we should be getting a girl sometime in the near future. We've already gotten her first tank set up and cross-referenced several caresheets and are starting with a breeder-bred baby. Just wondering if any owners of hogs could give me a better idea of what her temperament will be like/any personal anecdotes. It'll help tide me over until we actually have her huffing and puffing at us. :3:

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of hoggies, both my little male and female have decided to go off feed. We did have a huge cold front move in, but as long as they don't drop weight and are active, do I need to worry? More used to my sand boas and balls going for weeks before they decide to eat. Save for a few who want to eat every loving day, even if they ate their max before puking the day before.

Bobbaganoosh
Jun 23, 2004

...kinda catchy...
Don't worry about hoggies going off feed. They'll be fine.

As for their antics, hogs take the Oscar every year for Most Overdramatic Response to Changing a Water Bowl or Receiving Food. They're prima-donnas. Sadly, but rightfully, I gave mine to a family who keeps him front and center. And a clown like he is deserves the routine audience which he now gets.

Hogs are the perfect colubrid, if you can put up with their antics. Perfectly sized. Comical attitudes. Never a dull moment.

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

Also, they make the best faces.

I'm a little wary of them after having been bitten, but I've found out how to properly handle them and get them used to being held. Since then, there's been no issues. My milk snake is more of a pain than the two hognose I have.

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

I spent $1,000 on my computer but I'm too "poor" to take my dog or any of my animals to the vet for vet care. My neglect caused 1 of my birds to die prematurely! My dog pisses everywhere! I don't care! I'm a piece of shit! Don't believe me? Check my post history in Pet Island!
Hognoses :3 Always wanted to get one in the future, just a simple western but I just discovered the GIANT hognose and oh my goodness, I want that instead (or both?) Anyone have experience with em? Can't find too much info on them, except that they are insane as babies but do calm down. Can't find any sellers though, so Im unsure of their price point for CB ones.

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

Malalol posted:

Hognoses :3 Always wanted to get one in the future, just a simple western but I just discovered the GIANT hognose and oh my goodness, I want that instead (or both?) Anyone have experience with em? Can't find too much info on them, except that they are insane as babies but do calm down. Can't find any sellers though, so Im unsure of their price point for CB ones.

I've kept all 3 species of Madagascar hogs. The giants tend to be way more squirrelly than our Western hogs. Mine never seemed to really tolerate handling well.

They were cool snakes, but western hogs are much easier to deal with. Plus it's pretty rare to see CB ones for sale.

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

every youtube vid of them is showing how relaxed and calm they are and I know that theyre special cases but it just makes me want them that much more. How are the other species, the blondes and the speckled is it???

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

Malalol posted:

every youtube vid of them is showing how relaxed and calm they are and I know that theyre special cases but it just makes me want them that much more. How are the other species, the blondes and the speckled is it???

Blondes, giants, and speckleds are it. My friend actually bred the speckleds.

Maybe mine were just more high strung than most. They were really wiggly and mock (and sometimes for real) struck at me when I handled them.

The speckleds were pretty chill though and the blondes were shy but not too bad.

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

A connoisseur of fine junk
Today I took my little corn snake Kyoshi in to studio to get some shots of him that weren't lit horribly. I thought this one came out particularly nice and thought I'd share it. I wish I could find local people that had big pythons that I could shoot in studio. Scales look so ace under those big heavy flashes.

That Damn Satyr fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Dec 24, 2013

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

I don't know where else to ask this. A carpet python is in my house and I have no idea how to get rid of it. It's behind the washing machine, which is in a doorless alcove so it basically has the run of the house.

My two cats were freaking the gently caress out yesterday so it's obviously been in here since then. They're especially terrified of my room so it was probably hiding under my bed the whole time. :stare: There's also a heavy piss stink, I don't know if it was from a scared cat or if snakes smell loving gross.

It's kind of near to the patio door, but it doesn't seem to want to move. It's definitely awake, half of it is poking out from the side between the machine and the sink, and stares back at me when I shine the torch down there. It's probably not happy about the cats being around. I'm told it'll be too afraid of the cats to go after them, and they're obviously terrified of it, so at least they'll leave each other alone.

I don't want to hurt it, but I have kind of a snakey phobia and also don't want to touch it. I just want it to quietly leave, preferably before I go to bed and have to lock the house up for the night. :(

Duckbill
Nov 7, 2008

Nice weather for it.
Grimey Drawer

Corridor posted:

I don't know where else to ask this. A carpet python is in my house and I have no idea how to get rid of it. It's behind the washing machine, which is in a doorless alcove so it basically has the run of the house.

My two cats were freaking the gently caress out yesterday so it's obviously been in here since then. They're especially terrified of my room so it was probably hiding under my bed the whole time. :stare: There's also a heavy piss stink, I don't know if it was from a scared cat or if snakes smell loving gross.

It's kind of near to the patio door, but it doesn't seem to want to move. It's definitely awake, half of it is poking out from the side between the machine and the sink, and stares back at me when I shine the torch down there. It's probably not happy about the cats being around. I'm told it'll be too afraid of the cats to go after them, and they're obviously terrified of it, so at least they'll leave each other alone.

I don't want to hurt it, but I have kind of a snakey phobia and also don't want to touch it. I just want it to quietly leave, preferably before I go to bed and have to lock the house up for the night. :(

I'm guessing you're in the US, but I know the RSPCA are good at dealing with animals that aren't where you want them to be. So maybe call animal control or the local equivalent?

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Quality Pugamutes now available, APR/APRI/NKC approved breeder. PM for details.

Corridor posted:

a) It's not likely to move much, being probably about as scared of your cats as they are of it, so there's that going for you.

b) Snakes don't have eyelids, so there's no way to tell when it is asleep or awake unless it actually moves. Yuuup. I'm sure that makes you feel much better.

c) Snake urates smell heavy and sort of musky, definitely not like cat piss, and plus they're solid white clumps which are pretty easy to see, so I'd assume that's your cats going 'OH gently caress NO'.

How sure are you that its a carpet python? If you're in AUS, you may be able to find someone locally to coax it out of the door and back into its native home, but if you're in the US you'll need some animal control help to get it bagged up and taken to back to a temperature-controlled environment. Snakes often seek out washer/dryer housings because they're warm and relatively undisturbed, so it's a common thing and any experts you call should be able to deal with it quickly and without too much stress on you, the cats or the snake.

I'm assuming you're in Australia (judging by your relative familiarity with carpet pythons despite having a fear of snakes) so if so, I'm about 99% sure one of your neighbors would be more than happy to wrestle it into submission while yelling things like 'Crikey!' and 'She's a beauty!' etc. :D

Kilersquirrel
Oct 16, 2004
My little sister is awesome and bought me this account.
In my experience cats go from "Oh gently caress, run away!" to "what is that?!" to "let's slap it on the face repeatedly and see what happens!" pretty quickly, so if the snake is longer than your cats I'd personally keep them locked away from each other just to be prudent.

If it's holing up inside the wash machine, just get a neighbor to move it outside overnight if the local animal control people won't help out without killing the thing. From my tv-only-based impression of Australian animal control services it seems they have decent systems set up to remove fauna from people's houses, since quite a few of the hideously venemous species in the country like to live around people and cities.

Too bad about the snake phobia, most of us would have thought "woohoo, free python!" :v:

e: oh, and if taking photos doesn't freak you out too hard, get pics and share them in the Critterquest thread. Everything's pretty much dead or asleep up here in the northern hemisphere.

Kilersquirrel fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Dec 10, 2013

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

It is under my sofa now :( It has curled up on itself in a heap so its probably there for the night.

Yes I'm in Aus, I'll call someone tomorrow and see what options there are, thanks. It didn't occur to me to try, I was raised with the Aussie stereotyped attitude that being afraid of and unable to cope with scary critters is a most shameful thing. My dad is already sneering at me for being even mildly alarmed at a giant loving snake in my house

I'm really sick and stressed already so this isn't helping just gtfo already you rear end in a top hat snake

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Corridor posted:

I don't know where else to ask this. A carpet python is in my house and I have no idea how to get rid of it.

An IRC conversation spurred by your post:

Tort: I love reading stories about australian wildlife
Tort: I would never ever move there
Tort: but the stories are great
sancus: doesn't australia have an animal control
sancus: and I assume they drive around in tanks and have mechanical armor suits
Tort: it'd be like the army at the end of the movie adaptation of the Mist
Tort: tank brigades and guys with flamethrowers
Mode1: that anime needs to exist
Mode1: "Australian Animal Control"
Tort: poo poo, put that on steam greenlight right loving now

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

Corridor posted:

It is under my sofa now :( It has curled up on itself in a heap so its probably there for the night.

Yes I'm in Aus, I'll call someone tomorrow and see what options there are, thanks. It didn't occur to me to try, I was raised with the Aussie stereotyped attitude that being afraid of and unable to cope with scary critters is a most shameful thing. My dad is already sneering at me for being even mildly alarmed at a giant loving snake in my house

I'm really sick and stressed already so this isn't helping just gtfo already you rear end in a top hat snake

How big is it? If it's not too big you could try throwing a blanket over it, pull the corners around like a sack and dropping it outside.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

It was pretty drat big. And when you have a snakey phobia, doing anything that might require touching it, even with something else, is out of the question.

Doesn't seem to matter though now, because I can't find it anymore. I got to sleep finally, at like 4am, having left the back door open to maybe encourage it to loving leave. Seems to have worked, I woke late and couldn't find it anywhere. One of the cats is hiding under my bed so at least it's not in my room.

Thanks for all the advice though, it helped me calm down a lot. And I'll know what to do if it turns out to have been hiding behind the fridge or something.

e.

I like how the ad for your certified bred animals features the tubbiest gargoyle in hell.

Corridor fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Dec 11, 2013

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Should you find yourself here one day... In accordance with your crimes, you can rest assured I will give you the treatment you deserve.
I've been investigating ball pythons for a while now, and finally heard back from one of the reptile rescue places I'd emailed. So I may or may not have an adorable little dude coming to live with me in a bit. Conveniently enough, there's also a large reptile store is right down the street from my dad's house, and I'm visiting there this weekend. Mostly I was wondering if there were any goon-recommended supplies, brands, etc. I don't know the exact length of the potential snakes yet, and I only know that one of them is 2 years old.

Whatever would be most comfortable for the dude is fine with me - one website said 20-30 gallon terrarium would be fine. I'm actually hoping the reptile store might have some kind of package deal going, so I won't have to buy all the pieces individually.

This would actually be my first time having an animal in my house that isn't a dog or a cat (neither of which I have at the moment anyway). I am both excited and a bit daunted. :shobon:

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

If you are nearby a petco, the zilla snake kit is $100 and comes with pretty much everything to start. Well, Id get diff substrate and decor. Wouldnt keep an adult ball in there long term but you get time until you can find a cheap craigslist tank or $/g tank.

e: woops, actually hide and bowl might be too small for a large ball. Substrate is fine.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bn95eexR8TU

snake and bake
Feb 23, 2005

:theroni:
Ball pythons are great, I love my chubby puppy-face snakes. :3: I keep mine in a Dragons4You rack now but I started with a 20 gallon long tank and I still use it for quarantining new snakes. Zilla stuff is generally better quality than Exoterra, at least in my experience and from what I've read. Ultratherm has good reviews for their heat pads too, but they're more expensive and harder to find.

Definitely go with an under tank heat pad instead of a light, but be careful because they can get too hot, even through a thick layer of substrate. For my tank I use a Zilla heat pad hooked up to a plug-in lamp dimmer to allow me to adjust it. I monitor the temp by using an AcuRite thermometer with a probe that I picked up at Walmart for about $12. The probe has a little sticky pad so I stuck it on the inside of the tank, right over the heat pad, under the substrate.

Here's my newest ball python, a young ivory male that I picked up at Repticon Orlando last weekend.

snake and bake fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Dec 12, 2013

DiverTwig
Jul 23, 2003
I ignore all NWS Tags, my Boss's like porn
I just wanted to stop in and share my own bit of recent happiness. Last sunday, after years of talking about it, and learning about it, my girlfriend and I picked up a ball python from PetSmart. After getting the tank and everything all set up, we brought her home. When we put her in, she immediately started wandering around. That night, she climbed up the branch we had put in there for her (by the way, we're not sure if she's a she, we were told she is, but haven't had it verified yet) and curled up there for the night. The next day she found her warm side hide and was in there for most of the day, which I was pretty happy to see. Over the course of the week she's been doing everything I'd expect her to do, so it's just been good feelings constantly. Last night we tried feeding her for the first time and after dangling the mouse near her for about a minute, she struck it and ate it. Immediately afterwards she went back into her warm hide and has been (presumably) happily dozing since.

I know it's not much, but it's our first snake, and it seems like everything has been going really well so far. And that makes me happy cuz she's so tiny, and cute and it makes me feel good that we're probably doing the right things for her.

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

So I'm really confused at my snakes mental process. Got a small rat and would give it to the ball, but I completely underestimated the size ratio of snake to rat so its in with the bull snake right now. He... is very reluctant about taking it live I think. He eats everything, Ive given him f/t rat, mice, chicks..is a general pig but he never really has a striking response. Just sidle up and nom. The rats hiding in a corner and he keeps going over, nudging it and looking for the head but it moves a little bit and hes just.. Nope, going to sidle back into my corner. Repeat. He was sold to me as wc and is an adult, so I imagine he'd had some sort of instinct kick it and ... kill it? :confused: I feel very bad for the rat right now because I was hoping he'd make it a super quick death but if not I'm gunna have to do it myself or keep it out of pity.

e: V its a really young baby that was just not moving or biting when i was messing with it, watching it the whole time. i wouldnt do it with an older rat. going to give it to another guy

Malalol fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Dec 16, 2013

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

E: ^^^^ It still has teeth, dude.

Malalol posted:

So I'm really confused at my snakes mental process. Got a small rat and would give it to the ball, but I completely underestimated the size ratio of snake to rat so its in with the bull snake right now. He... is very reluctant about taking it live I think. He eats everything, Ive given him f/t rat, mice, chicks..is a general pig but he never really has a striking response. Just sidle up and nom. The rats hiding in a corner and he keeps going over, nudging it and looking for the head but it moves a little bit and hes just.. Nope, going to sidle back into my corner. Repeat. He was sold to me as wc and is an adult, so I imagine he'd had some sort of instinct kick it and ... kill it? :confused: I feel very bad for the rat right now because I was hoping he'd make it a super quick death but if not I'm gunna have to do it myself or keep it out of pity.

You have a snake that has never struck or killed a thing in your presence and you gave it a live, not-stunned rat? At least go stun the thing.

Fluffy Bunnies fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Dec 16, 2013

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Should you find yourself here one day... In accordance with your crimes, you can rest assured I will give you the treatment you deserve.

Malalol posted:

If you are nearby a petco, the zilla snake kit is $100 and comes with pretty much everything to start. Well, Id get diff substrate and decor. Wouldnt keep an adult ball in there long term but you get time until you can find a cheap craigslist tank or $/g tank.

e: woops, actually hide and bowl might be too small for a large ball. Substrate is fine.

Samila posted:

Ball pythons are great, I love my chubby puppy-face snakes. :3: I keep mine in a Dragons4You rack now but I started with a 20 gallon long tank and I still use it for quarantining new snakes. Zilla stuff is generally better quality than Exoterra, at least in my experience and from what I've read. Ultratherm has good reviews for their heat pads too, but they're more expensive and harder to find.

Definitely go with an under tank heat pad instead of a light, but be careful because they can get too hot, even through a thick layer of substrate. For my tank I use a Zilla heat pad hooked up to a plug-in lamp dimmer to allow me to adjust it. I monitor the temp by using an AcuRite thermometer with a probe that I picked up at Walmart for about $12. The probe has a little sticky pad so I stuck it on the inside of the tank, right over the heat pad, under the substrate.

Here's my newest ball python, a young ivory male that I picked up at Repticon Orlando last weekend.

Eeeee he's so adorable! :3:

I ended up not getting to the area with the reptile store due to my car being a piece of poo poo in the snow, but it worked out, because I haven't yet heard back from the reptile rescue I've been talking with anyways. But I was reminded - I think a local friend has an extra tank, so maybe I can pick one up on the cheap soon...

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

A connoisseur of fine junk

Malalol posted:

e: V its a really young baby that was just not moving or biting when i was messing with it, watching it the whole time. i wouldnt do it with an older rat. going to give it to another guy

If it's any consolation, my corn (who, albeit, was raise always on f/t) has no hunting/striking instinct at all. He's super afraid of his food if I try and give it to him with hemostats. He always got fed on a little soy-sauce dish in his tank, and now that he's bigger in a box, and he'll only eat that way. We always joked that he's some kind of weird scavenger because he's just like, "Hum, dum de dum, oh look a mouse omnom!"

On the other hand, at least he eats. My drat hognose refuses to touch anything and has since I got the little guy on Nov 1. We're now to the point where we're considering assist or even force-feeding him because he's so little, but from everything I understand babies can go on pretty long hunger strikes and be fine, so not quite to that point yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

That drat Satyr posted:

If it's any consolation, my corn (who, albeit, was raise always on f/t) has no hunting/striking instinct at all. He's super afraid of his food if I try and give it to him with hemostats. He always got fed on a little soy-sauce dish in his tank, and now that he's bigger in a box, and he'll only eat that way. We always joked that he's some kind of weird scavenger because he's just like, "Hum, dum de dum, oh look a mouse omnom!"

On the other hand, at least he eats. My drat hognose refuses to touch anything and has since I got the little guy on Nov 1. We're now to the point where we're considering assist or even force-feeding him because he's so little, but from everything I understand babies can go on pretty long hunger strikes and be fine, so not quite to that point yet.

Don't force feed or assist feed yet. I'm assuming it's a baby western hog right? Try braining a pinkie and placing it and the snake in a paper bag first. Force feeding should be the absolutely last resort. If braining doesn't work there's other stuff to try before assist feeding.

• Locked thread