Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Branis
Apr 14, 2006
Zizek seems to be smart as hell and enjoys trolling people

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XS_Lzo4S8lA Vice meets zizek.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
Also does cocaine/is constantly having a big long panic attack

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
So does anyone know more about this outside of ACAB?

http://imgur.com/gallery/QUWxlB8 NSFW due to the very badly beaten face of a homeless man with the mind of an 11 year old.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
And BOOM goes South Florida.

That's Raul Castro on the right.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Raul should start getting regular check ups.

You never know when you might get sick.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It was Kropotkin's birthday yesterday :toot:

also:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Joementum posted:

And BOOM goes South Florida.

That's Raul Castro on the right.

Cuban exiles aren't the only ones he's in the doghouse with!

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Smooth, Barack

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Not a great day for First Ladies, it seems.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Joementum posted:

Look at Desmond Tutu being just as jealous :dawkins101:

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

zoux posted:

Cuban exiles aren't the only ones he's in the doghouse with!

May I just say how much I'm going to miss Barack and Michelle, from a purely photojournalistic standpoint, after he leaves office in 2016? We're never going to see a First Couple this adorable ever again. :3:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The Macaroni posted:

May I just say how much I'm going to miss Barack and Michelle, from a purely photojournalistic standpoint, after he leaves office in 2016? We're never going to see a First Couple this adorable ever again. :3:

2016 son.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

Joementum posted:

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Gonzo McFee posted:

So does anyone know more about this outside of ACAB?

http://imgur.com/gallery/QUWxlB8 NSFW due to the very badly beaten face of a homeless man with the mind of an 11 year old.

Fullerton is one of the many cities in Southern California with a history of police brutality and institutionalized racism. This time though, the protests sparked changes. There were successful recall campaigns for city officials who tried to cover up the beating, and the officers have been arrested (one is charged with second-degree murder, the other with manslaughter).

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

I'm pretty sure it was supposed to load a video or something, but that's what I got.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

via twitter

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

The Comna
May 22, 2012

schtzn
schtzn
t-t-t-t
t-t-t-t

A neighborhood watch sign being put up in Friesland.

Article in Dutch:http://www.lc.nl/friesland/regio/article16455613.ece/Inbrekers-slaan-toe-in-plaatsen-langs-snelwegen

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

StickySweater
Feb 7, 2008
One of the better post from the 2012 election. I have no idea who said it, but its worth reposting:

Something Awful Poster posted:

"Newt is a comic-book supervillain. He’s vain, arrogant, smart, greedy, vengeful, and evil. Nobody denies that, and Newt only makes the slightest effort to hide it. Sure, it would be a bad thing if he won, but the good guys always win in comic books. Nobody seriously thinks Newt will win the big fight at the end.

Santorum feels like the bad guy in a horror (or maybe sci-fi) movie. He’s way worse than Gingrich, but he seems to think he’s a nice guy. He’s the creeping horror with a bland smile that’s going to kill everyone in town. For some reason, nobody seems to realize what he’s doing (except for Rowdy Roddy Piper and Charlton Heston), and he keeps walking around like he’s not a demon from hell, being treated like he’s a human being.”

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Photo of the White House in 1907

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

loving Friesland.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous

Uruguay's marijuana legalization bill has just been approved by their Senate. It's an 1 hour drive between where I live and a place where weed is legal.

This is a great day :2bong:

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

bagual posted:

Uruguay's marijuana legalization bill has just been approved by their Senate. It's an 1 hour drive between where I live and a place where weed is legal.

Lucky. I still can't believe :canada: is this late to the party... and looks to be at least a few years off (best case scenario it becomes a big election issue in 2015).

Seriously, the American's got legal pot before we did? What is going on in the world?!

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

JoelJoel posted:

Lucky. I still can't believe :canada: is this late to the party... and looks to be at least a few years off (best case scenario it becomes a big election issue in 2015).

Seriously, the American's got legal pot before we did? What is going on in the world?!

How do you think the Dutch feel :negative:

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

JoelJoel posted:

Lucky. I still can't believe :canada: is this late to the party... and looks to be at least a few years off (best case scenario it becomes a big election issue in 2015)

A big election issue which the NDP react to in their now typical cowardly milquetoast manner and which the Conservatives leverage into another majority victory.

Canada isn't going to be un-hosed for a good long time if Trudeau and Mulcair are the best we've got standing against the regressive Conservatives.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Wheeee posted:

A big election issue which the NDP react to in their now typical cowardly milquetoast manner and which the Conservatives leverage into another majority victory.

Canada isn't going to be un-hosed for a good long time if Trudeau and Mulcair are the best we've got standing against the regressive Conservatives.

Yeah, but that guy likes having power. If he can get votes by changing their stance on an issue that the Canadian public wants, I think it is perfectly reasonable to believe they could. I highly doubt it, but it is completely reasonable. Keep in mind this guy was the leader of the loving Canadian Alliance. If he only did stuff because of morals and beliefs and such we would have no senate, no abortion, and a bible in every hand.

I miss St. Jack...

e:

ekuNNN posted:

How do you think the Dutch feel :negative:

Plus you have to deal with those Freislanders and their stupid flag without pot.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

JoelJoel posted:

I miss St. Jack...

Dr. Witherbone
Nov 1, 2010

CHEESE LOOKS ON IN
DESPAIR BUT ALSO WITH
AN ERECTION

JoelJoel posted:

Yeah, but that guy likes having power. If he can get votes by changing their stance on an issue that the Canadian public wants, I think it is perfectly reasonable to believe they could. I highly doubt it, but it is completely reasonable. Keep in mind this guy was the leader of the loving Canadian Alliance. If he only did stuff because of morals and beliefs and such we would have no senate, no abortion, and a bible in every hand.

I miss St. Jack...

e:

Plus you have to deal with those Freislanders and their stupid flag without pot.

Jack Layton Appreciation Station.

Star Jack

Jack, BOY GENIUS

Jack Layton and his wife, Olivia Chow, celebrate what would prove to be his legacy: rocketing the NDP from 37 seats to a stunning 103. A majority in Canadian parliament is 155. The majority of NDP gains were in Quebec, thanks largely due to a stunning performance in the national debates. Jack argued that the Bloc Quebecois (a separatist protest vote) could not form government and thus was unlikely to further their goals in any meaningful way, while the NDP had the most sympathy towards Quebec's issues and could very well form government.

Upon Jack Layton's death in 2011, a funny thing happened: the Canadian public actually cared. Pictured here are the thousands of individual chalk drawings dedicated to mourning his passage. Jack was given an official state funeral by Stephen Harper, his exact motivation unknown. Who knows, maybe there is a single sympathetic bone in his body.

Jack Layton died of cancer, age 61. On his deathbed, he wrote the following letter to the public. I've edited out only his comments on dull party inner-workings:

Jack 'Lenin' Layton posted:

Dear Friends,

Tens of thousands of Canadians have written to me in recent weeks to wish me well. I want to thank each and every one of you for your thoughtful, inspiring and often beautiful notes, cards and gifts. Your spirit and love have lit up my home, my spirit, and my determination.

Unfortunately my treatment has not worked out as I hoped. So I am giving this letter to my partner Olivia to share with you in the circumstance in which I cannot continue.

A few additional thoughts:

To other Canadians who are on journeys to defeat cancer and to live their lives, I say this: please don’t be discouraged that my own journey hasn’t gone as well as I had hoped. You must not lose your own hope. Treatments and therapies have never been better in the face of this disease. You have every reason to be optimistic, determined, and focused on the future. My only other advice is to cherish every moment with those you love at every stage of your journey, as I have done this summer.

To my fellow Quebecers: On May 2nd, you made an historic decision. You decided that the way to replace Canada’s Conservative federal government with something better was by working together in partnership with progressive-minded Canadians across the country. You made the right decision then; it is still the right decision today; and it will be the right decision right through to the next election, when we will succeed, together. You have elected a superb team of New Democrats to Parliament. They are going to be doing remarkable things in the years to come to make this country better for us all.

To young Canadians: All my life I have worked to make things better. Hope and optimism have defined my political career, and I continue to be hopeful and optimistic about Canada. Young people have been a great source of inspiration for me. I have met and talked with so many of you about your dreams, your frustrations, and your ideas for change. More and more, you are engaging in politics because you want to change things for the better. Many of you have placed your trust in our party. As my time in political life draws to a close I want to share with you my belief in your power to change this country and this world. There are great challenges before you, from the overwhelming nature of climate change to the unfairness of an economy that excludes so many from our collective wealth, and the changes necessary to build a more inclusive and generous Canada. I believe in you. Your energy, your vision, your passion for justice are exactly what this country needs today. You need to be at the heart of our economy, our political life, and our plans for the present and the future.

And finally, to all Canadians: Canada is a great country, one of the hopes of the world. We can be a better one – a country of greater equality, justice, and opportunity. We can build a prosperous economy and a society that shares its benefits more fairly. We can look after our seniors. We can offer better futures for our children. We can do our part to save the world’s environment. We can restore our good name in the world. We can do all of these things because we finally have a party system at the national level where there are real choices; where your vote matters; where working for change can actually bring about change. In the months and years to come, New Democrats will put a compelling new alternative to you. My colleagues in our party are an impressive, committed team. Give them a careful hearing; consider the alternatives; and consider that we can be a better, fairer, more equal country by working together. Don’t let them tell you it can’t be done.

My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world.

All my very best,

Jack Layton

Jack was, undoubtably, more right wing than many people would have liked, including myself. However, his open support of trade unions, tax hikes, harsher bank regulation (especially regarding service fees and credit cards,) as well as his refusal to water down the NDP constitution (something that has since been successfully carried out now under the milquetoast Thomas Mulcair) make him a loving dream compared to the neoliberal hellscape Canada has been sliding into since about the 90's.

I really loving miss you, Jack Layton :( :canada:

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Dr Phil, known communist sympathizer

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Pride march in Delhi in 2011. India's conservative Supreme Court just recriminalized homosexuality, which was first banned by the British Empire in the 1860s and overturned by a lower court in 2009. Not only does this give the police carte blanch to raid gay groups, many people came out after the 2009 decision. Now they're at even greater risk.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Homs, Syria this morning as a deadly storm sweeps through the region. Refugees in Jordan are toughing it out in plastic tents.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Sign language interpreter at Mandela memorial was making it up as he went.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Bush showed off his paintings during the flight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

bagual posted:

Am I right that you have to sign and register just to buy marijuana though, rather than simply prove that you are an adult with an ID card?

Sounds like a good way to harass innocent people if a conservative government later moves to recriminalize. :tinfoil:

• Locked thread