Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Is that huge number of semicolons the precise number needed?

Because it works now.

EDIT: gently caress me, you need the same number of semicolons whether you include the other languages or not, don't you? That's what was screwing me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

DStecks posted:

Is that huge number of semicolons the precise number needed?

Because it works now.

Apparently so! I just use

code:
#CODE;ENGLISH;;;;;;;;;;;;;x
As my template and it never bothers me ever.

Well, at least it works now, and now you know. Yayfications! :keke:

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007
So I finally managed to usurp the kingdom of England. Is there any way to wage one big war for all the de jure claims I have now against the previous king?

And speaking of claims: how do you get a claim in your dynasty? For example, I had married a kinsman to the heir of the county of Devon, and when their son took the reigns, Devon stayed independent, even though he was like my half-brother. How do you make such counties fall in line?

Also, how do you get rid of your antipope/make people follow your antipope instead of the real pope? (Haven't got Old Gods or Sons of Abraham.)

Finally, do mods work in hardcore games?

Jolan fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Dec 11, 2013

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

DrSunshine posted:

A nice thing to do when you're the big badass emperor of all, king of kings, etc., is to give a city or two to a content dynastic relative, followed by a coastal county and then a duchy. They'll become a separate patrician version of your dynasty and they'll make great vassals, since the kin bonus helps alleviate the wrong government penalty. You can also help kick-start their trade posts and mansions and stuff by investing a lot of the sweet tax money you get as an emperor, which will give them an edge on the rival patricians when making trade posts. Also, once you get tired of being the emperor, you can just switch to your patrician branch and have fun being the safest republic in the world and leave the pesky rebellions to the AI.

Oh thanks so much for doing all this testing man. I'm going to fix this soon. If you can, include the save file as well. To my chagrin I've never actually played my own mod long enough to get the Hungry Ones event and test it. :blush:

EDIT: Could you overwrite this event into your mod/Sonendar/events folder and see if it helps anything?

Sure thing man, here is a save from 4410 just before the events start up and another from 4417 which is around the time you see in my screenshots. Didn't know what would be most useful so I figured hey, why not both!

http://www.2shared.com/file/hmb8eCAa/Sunshinesave4410.html
http://www.2shared.com/file/soKE0etm/Sunshinesave4417.html

I'll shove that file in there now and let you know the results of that shortly!

Also DStecks don't worry, tracking down exactly what obscure punctuation has hosed us over is a time-honored Paradox modder's tradition. You wouldn't believe how much time I once spent coming through a localisation file trying to understand why the hell it was borked until I finally, FINALLY, noticed that I had forgotten to save it as .csv :smithicide:

Jolan;
1) Sometimes there's a "Press All Claims" option but I've never understood what causes that to arise. Best bet is to just pick off what you can when you can and always be ready to pounce if the targets fracture into infighting.

2) First thing to try is going to the guy's diplo screen and seeing if he'll accept vassalization. Unless he's playing silly buggers and has gone to a different faith you should hopefully get it there. Otherwise it probably depends on your respective laws governing inheritance in and out of realms or something.

3) Sorry, don't remember.

4) I don't believe they do.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Mister Adequate posted:

1) Sometimes there's a "Press All Claims" option but I've never understood what causes that to arise. Best bet is to just pick off what you can when you can and always be ready to pounce if the targets fracture into infighting.

If you have more than one personal claim (not a De Jure, a dynasty member, or a vassal's claim)against a single target you can "Press All Claims". If you win the resulting war, you will get every single title held by your opponent to which you have a personal claim when the peace deal is brokered

e: should've read "more than one" rather than "one or more", obviously. Fixed

Excelzior fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Dec 11, 2013

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em

Mister Adequate posted:

"Press All Claims" is only available when you have multiple strong claims against a single ruler, and the war will be only for those claims. De Jure claims are not strong claims.

Jolan posted:

And speaking of claims: how do you get a claim in your dynasty? For example, I had married a kinsman to the heir of the county of Devon, and when their son took the reigns, Devon stayed independent, even though he was like my half-brother. How do you make such counties fall in line?

A member of your dynasty that inherits a title is no different that any other person inheriting a title, dynasty-members are good for pressing claims in war, in which case they will always become a vassal (if possible) unlike non-dynasty members.

The other way you could have gone about this, and it's applicable to non-dynasty members as well, is to land the person in your court you want to marry a foreign ruler, and then kill them when they have a child. Their child will inherit their title and, since they're your vassal, they will continue to be your vassal once they inherit their other parent's titles (if they can be your vassal AND if the other realm's CA allows out-of-realm inheritance AND maybe if their newly inherited title is equal or lower rank to the one they already hold)

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Thanks for the Press All Claims clarification folks!

Doc, I put the new file in but I'm afraid it does the same thing as before.

It is, though, pretty hilarious because inevitably some of the countries who get stacks are at war with each other and have a huge fight in the rear end end of Aurora for no reason :v:

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Jolan posted:

So I finally managed to usurp the kingdom of England. Is there any way to wage one big war for all the de jure claims I have now against the previous king?

Also, how do you get rid of your antipope/make people follow your antipope instead of the real pope? (Haven't got Old Gods or Sons of Abraham.)

Finally, do mods work in hardcore games?

No, never. De jure claims have to be fought one at a time.

Just because a claim is in your dynasty doesn't mean it'll be under your rule. Your dynasty members won't automatically become your vassals when they gain land; the new Count of Devon will be your ally, but he's still independent. Since he's in your de jure kingdom and is probably the same religion/culture as you, he might accept an offer of vassalization; otherwise, you'll have to go to war for it or install another claimant just like before. But if he's still childless, what's the line of succession for the title? If a childless ruler dies, the title will tend to fall to close relatives, so depending on the kingdom's succession laws, enough stabbing might put the title in the hands of you or one of your heirs.

Without SoA, I'm not sure you can really do anything about either of those directly. Without SoA, the sole point of an antipope is just to protect you from the malice of a Pope that likes your enemies better than you (and to give you a papal claim on Rome, but you need to be an empire to make good use of it).

Mods will be usable in Ironman as of the next patch, but you won't get achievements.

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
Antipope Mechanics question because I'm playing on Ironman so it's hard to test stuff out.

I'm a (Republic) Empire. If switch to Free Investiture and make a direct vassal bishop Antipope, then press his claim on the Papacy, I will have the Pope as my vassal. Is this correct?

Do I need to restore the Papacy to Rome before I do this?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Mister Adequate posted:

Thanks for the Press All Claims clarification folks!

Doc, I put the new file in but I'm afraid it does the same thing as before.

It is, though, pretty hilarious because inevitably some of the countries who get stacks are at war with each other and have a huge fight in the rear end end of Aurora for no reason :v:

Aaaaahh, shoot. :smith:

Basically the reason why I have these traits here is because I want the healthy and the infected to constantly hate each other, and the only way I know how to do it is to have them be opposite traits, you see? Kind of like how you can have someone who's Kind have a negative opinion penalty to someone who's Cruel, but have a +10 opinion bonus to anyone else who's Kind.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Main Paineframe posted:

No, never. De jure claims have to be fought one at a time.

Just because a claim is in your dynasty doesn't mean it'll be under your rule. Your dynasty members won't automatically become your vassals when they gain land; the new Count of Devon will be your ally, but he's still independent. Since he's in your de jure kingdom

Huh? Pressing a claim for a dynasty member to land belonging De Jure to your titles most definitely makes them your vassals automatically. :confused:

Heck, I'm pretty sure it works for land outside your De Jure territory, as long as the title pressed is not equal to your highest title.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

DrSunshine posted:

Basically the reason why I have these traits here is because I want the healthy and the infected to constantly hate each other, and the only way I know how to do it is to have them be opposite traits, you see? Kind of like how you can have someone who's Kind have a negative opinion penalty to someone who's Cruel, but have a +10 opinion bonus to anyone else who's Kind.

If you wanna hack it, you could make Infected have "general opinion -20" and "like opinion +40" or whatever.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Excelzior posted:

Huh? Pressing a claim for a dynasty member to land belonging De Jure to your titles most definitely makes them your vassals automatically. :confused:

Heck, I'm pretty sure it works for land outside your De Jure territory, as long as the title pressed is not equal to your highest title.

Yes, but that's specific to pressing claims. A dynasty member who inherits something won't automatically become your vassal unless they were already your vassal to begin with. Jolan seemed to be under the impression that dynasty members would always become your vassal upon getting any land anywhere through any means, which just isn't true.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Main Paineframe posted:

Yes, but that's specific to pressing claims. A dynasty member who inherits something won't automatically become your vassal unless they were already your vassal to begin with. Jolan seemed to be under the impression that dynasty members would always become your vassal upon getting any land anywhere through any means, which just isn't true.

Ah, I see. Misunderstood your post, you're entirely correct.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
Someone mentioned that getting the pope to forgive Kinslayer is an SOA-only event. It is not. It's just a very rare event, with it's likelihood of occurance depending on the pope's opinion of you.

alcaras posted:

Antipope Mechanics question because I'm playing on Ironman so it's hard to test stuff out.

I'm a (Republic) Empire. If switch to Free Investiture and make a direct vassal bishop Antipope, then press his claim on the Papacy, I will have the Pope as my vassal. Is this correct?

Do I need to restore the Papacy to Rome before I do this?

This is correct.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
So did the new beta patch fix the levy nerf/event troop levels?

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So did the new beta patch fix the levy nerf/event troop levels?

I believe so. I've yet to face a horde or a faction, but Cumania and Pechnegs were neutered heavily by the event troop changes.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

Cease to Hope posted:

Someone mentioned that getting the pope to forgive Kinslayer is an SOA-only event. It is not. It's just a very rare event, with it's likelihood of occurance depending on the pope's opinion of you.

I was under the impression that SoA added a way to directly petition the pope to forgive it, and not just have to wait for the event that removes it to fire. I don't have it so I can't check, though.

hellsjudge
May 13, 2010

KittyEmpress posted:

You can easily mod the files to allow any female to do those jobs by removing the female = no portion under each job.

Where do I go to do this? i'm getting tired of having tons of eligible daughters and courtiers for jobs and counties and not being able to make them my generals, I want to play a game where my women can march into battle (but keep the -10 opinion modifier, I don't want to make it ahistorical.)

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

DrSunshine posted:

Oh haha that does make sense.

Actually let me load up again and double-check those events, I may have been so intent on looking at the actual horde arrival that I wasn't paying attention to whether I was getting spammed with those. :v:

e; Yes, I'm afraid I am still getting it, though now I am at least getting a mouseover box on the event screen that says 'Emperor Crazypants gains the trait " '(that " appears in the text). HOWEVER! I may have figured out why the Horde doesn't last long - I happened to mouseover the war icon for the High Chief of Aurora and he had 100% warscore against the Hungry Ones like three days after the They Have Arrived event and there's no way he had the manpower to win a bunch of crushing victories that quickly (Or if he did, there's your problem in itself!) I don't know exactly how Hordes work but maybe they need to be granted a province before their actual invasion starts or something, in similar fashion to the Mongols arriving in Balkh or whatever before they invade everyone?

e2; Good news! I had an idea while thinking about DStecks' localization woes and I found your problem. Everywhere else the Healthy trait is referenced as "not_infected", but in the event in question it's called "healthy" :p I changed it to "not_infected" and it seems to be working properly now, I got the event once a few days after They arrived and that's been it. I can also confirm that the opinion malus is working properly in both directions! Sadly it has thrown up a new, though much more minor, problem, which is that the icon for Healthy isn't appearing on anyone's character sheet, it's just a blank space. Note that as far as I can see it's only in event THM.4 where "healthy" appears instead of "not_infected" but I might be missing instances elsewhere.

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Dec 11, 2013

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Mister Adequate posted:

e2; Good news! I had an idea while thinking about DStecks' localization woes and I found your problem. Everywhere else the Healthy trait is referenced as "not_infected", but in the event in question it's called "healthy" :p I changed it to "not_infected" and it seems to be working properly now, I got the event once a few days after They arrived and that's been it. I can also confirm that the opinion malus is working properly in both directions! Sadly it has thrown up a new, though much more minor, problem, which is that the icon for Healthy isn't appearing on anyone's character sheet, it's just a blank space. Note that as far as I can see it's only in event THM.4 where "healthy" appears instead of "not_infected" but I might be missing instances elsewhere.

D'oh!!! I feel sooooooooooo stupid!! Oh my god! And the reason why the trait doesn't appear is because I have it as "healthy" in the graphics file.

:negative:

Omar_Comin
Aug 20, 2004
Dark Jedi Carebear
Welp.

Post-SoA Erik the Heathen games are nigh impossible instead of being merely difficult as before. Out of 10 tries, I was imprisoned by Stenkil or his sons demanding my titles 7 times. Two other games ended with me failing my bid to take the crown and ended up in prison. The huge nerf to vassal levies really, really hurts. Only once was I able to win the war for the Swedish crown and that's because I got incredibly lucky.

As soon as Stenkil died of pneumonia on 23 Sept, I declared war on Inge for the crown. Toke of Varend joined my fight, and Denmark declared a Holy War for Varend. Inge married himself and a brother to the daughters of Denmark, but since Denmark was already in a war with my ally, they didn't join the war for the Swedish crown. I managed to get an 84% warscore via battles because I caught Inge's armies before they could link up, but at that point it was a race to siege between me and Denmark, because if they finished off Varend, they would probably join Inge against me. My luck held out with a series of beneficial siege events and I had all 3 holdings sieged in Sodermanland for a total of 100%, war over. Denmark's Holy War ended because CB was no longer valid and I had some breathing room.

I started a war with Dal on behalf of Inge because having a +100 opinion modifier for 20 years was a pretty good deal, but Tyke of More had other plans and attacked me to put Inge back on the throne. Things would have been fine except for the MAGIC TROOPS FLOCKING TO HIS BANNER and that was that. Duke Sven the Snotnose joined him as well and I couldn't fight off the three of them. So even if you do manage to win the crown, chances of you holding it for longer than a year are nil. Granted my pressing wars instead of getting troop numbers back up didn't help.

Trying to subjugate the other Norse rulers in Sweden before launching your attack for the crown is no longer viable due to amount of time and men it takes in order to gain control. And even after you do, the amount of troops you get from them is negligible.

Oh, I was playing using the Steam Beta patch that is out, so the reduced event troops is still pretty harsh after the "fix".

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

So is there something I'm doing wrong by having my heir educated diplomatically? I feel my Kingdom, soon to be Empire, getting weaker as I go diplomatic, rather than stronger. I started my Ireland into Brittania game with a few heirs that were strong on stewardship, by accident because I thought I sent them to an eminence and then decided to roll with it. So I had like 8-9 demense, and was able to just stomp my way into Scotland. However as I got close to taking the crown of England I swapped to diplomatic educated, which has reduced me to 6 realms...and my vassal levies do not make up the difference. With 68% of Brittania controlled I only have like 6k or so troops myself and about that much from my vassals. Am I going about this the right way? I feel really insecure whereas before I felt pretty strong.

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007
Thanks for the info, guys. This game has got me "just one more turn"-ing pretty bad, but I still only barely understand most of it.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Eimi posted:

So is there something I'm doing wrong by having my heir educated diplomatically? I feel my Kingdom, soon to be Empire, getting weaker as I go diplomatic, rather than stronger. I started my Ireland into Brittania game with a few heirs that were strong on stewardship, by accident because I thought I sent them to an eminence and then decided to roll with it. So I had like 8-9 demense, and was able to just stomp my way into Scotland. However as I got close to taking the crown of England I swapped to diplomatic educated, which has reduced me to 6 realms...and my vassal levies do not make up the difference. With 68% of Brittania controlled I only have like 6k or so troops myself and about that much from my vassals. Am I going about this the right way? I feel really insecure whereas before I felt pretty strong.

I think stewardship or martial can give you more troops if your realm is not yet at least of empire size. In your case diplomacy is not of much use, because you get a huge penalty to all levies outside your de jure realm, which at the moment is just Ireland. All those vassals in Scotland, Wales and England will give you only pitiful amount of levies, and it doesn't help if they give you a slight bit more of their pitiful levies. This will change once you form Britannia, but before that you are indeed weaker for having pursued a diplomacy heavy education.

Edit: What I wanted to ask, if I expel the Jews, do they ever come back? I thought it was just for the ruler who expelled them, but my heir has the same penalty. Can I ever get them back? Is it some random event with a long MTTH? Do I need to form a new realm (so count > expel > become duke > expel > king > expel > emperor)?

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Torrannor posted:

I think stewardship or martial can give you more troops if your realm is not yet at least of empire size. In your case diplomacy is not of much use, because you get a huge penalty to all levies outside your de jure realm, which at the moment is just Ireland. All those vassals in Scotland, Wales and England will give you only pitiful amount of levies, and it doesn't help if they give you a slight bit more of their pitiful levies. This will change once you form Britannia, but before that you are indeed weaker for having pursued a diplomacy heavy education.

Edit: What I wanted to ask, if I expel the Jews, do they ever come back? I thought it was just for the ruler who expelled them, but my heir has the same penalty. Can I ever get them back? Is it some random event with a long MTTH? Do I need to form a new realm (so count > expel > become duke > expel > king > expel > emperor)?

You eventually get a decision in the intrigue menu (the same menu you expelled them from) to let them come back after a period of time. No idea how long it is, though -- I did it on one ruler and was allowed to do it after his heir succeeded, but it sounds like that may have been purely coincidental.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
What features from CK2+ have made it into the vanilla game? I hear people say that a lot of the important features have passed over, but the regular game still seems to be missing the new plots and ambitions I so love about CK2+.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Omar_Comin posted:

Welp.

Post-SoA Erik the Heathen games are nigh impossible instead of being merely difficult as before. Out of 10 tries, I was imprisoned by Stenkil or his sons demanding my titles 7 times. Two other games ended with me failing my bid to take the crown and ended up in prison. The huge nerf to vassal levies really, really hurts. Only once was I able to win the war for the Swedish crown and that's because I got incredibly lucky.

As soon as Stenkil died of pneumonia on 23 Sept, I declared war on Inge for the crown. Toke of Varend joined my fight, and Denmark declared a Holy War for Varend. Inge married himself and a brother to the daughters of Denmark, but since Denmark was already in a war with my ally, they didn't join the war for the Swedish crown. I managed to get an 84% warscore via battles because I caught Inge's armies before they could link up, but at that point it was a race to siege between me and Denmark, because if they finished off Varend, they would probably join Inge against me. My luck held out with a series of beneficial siege events and I had all 3 holdings sieged in Sodermanland for a total of 100%, war over. Denmark's Holy War ended because CB was no longer valid and I had some breathing room.

I started a war with Dal on behalf of Inge because having a +100 opinion modifier for 20 years was a pretty good deal, but Tyke of More had other plans and attacked me to put Inge back on the throne. Things would have been fine except for the MAGIC TROOPS FLOCKING TO HIS BANNER and that was that. Duke Sven the Snotnose joined him as well and I couldn't fight off the three of them. So even if you do manage to win the crown, chances of you holding it for longer than a year are nil. Granted my pressing wars instead of getting troop numbers back up didn't help.

Trying to subjugate the other Norse rulers in Sweden before launching your attack for the crown is no longer viable due to amount of time and men it takes in order to gain control. And even after you do, the amount of troops you get from them is negligible.

Oh, I was playing using the Steam Beta patch that is out, so the reduced event troops is still pretty harsh after the "fix".

Post SoA I've seen the AI Erik the Heathen take the Swedish Crown and hold it for some time until I smashed him.

Omar_Comin
Aug 20, 2004
Dark Jedi Carebear

Knuc If U Buck posted:

Post SoA I've seen the AI Erik the Heathen take the Swedish Crown and hold it for some time until I smashed him.

The AI has some events that are akin to cheating. Stuff like, "Give me the crown." "OK".

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

How do you create a lowborn character through modding? I seem to only be able to create one with a random dynasty, or my own.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Eimi posted:

Your reduced troop count is largely due to the 2.0 patch, which nerfed vassal levies a fair bit. As a result, a larger demense is now somewhat more useful than it was before because it's a much more important source of troops, but the relations and prestige boosts of diplomacy are also more important now because your vassals are stronger in relation to you and thus it's more important to keep them happy. Are you using retinues? If not, they should be - they're incredibly powerful, as they're guaranteed troops not subject to levy laws or the whims of vassals, which you can have raised continuously for no cost. At the size you're at, you should have a large enough retinue cap to bully smaller countries with the retinue and your own personal troops alone. Remember, the AI gets the same levy nerf you do.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Main Paineframe posted:

Your reduced troop count is largely due to the 2.0 patch, which nerfed vassal levies a fair bit. As a result, a larger demense is now somewhat more useful than it was before because it's a much more important source of troops, but the relations and prestige boosts of diplomacy are also more important now because your vassals are stronger in relation to you and thus it's more important to keep them happy. Are you using retinues? If not, they should be - they're incredibly powerful, as they're guaranteed troops not subject to levy laws or the whims of vassals, which you can have raised continuously for no cost. At the size you're at, you should have a large enough retinue cap to bully smaller countries with the retinue and your own personal troops alone. Remember, the AI gets the same levy nerf you do.

I am, and they are very helpful. Of course the ridiculous part is I somehow became Greek like three rulers ago and I didn't notice...well I did when I got into a spawned invasion of my realm, my retinue/army got destroyed and I had to rebuild and I was like where are my Glassglows? So I have a full army of Capaphrats.

On the de jure liege stuff, I am the queen of Scotland and England along with Ireland, do I still get a penalty just because they aren't my primary titles?

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Your vassals probably hate you for being a foreigner and thus give you reduced levies.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Piell posted:

Your vassals probably hate you for being a foreigner and thus give you reduced levies.

Well my Irish vassals haven't given me any trouble. It's my English and Scottish ones who keep rebelling/have a low opinion of me, largely because they desire the crown of those countries.

As well on the topic of realm organization, I have everything organized into duchies and such. I did it just because I like things to be neat and organized and it makes the map look pretty. And when I become an emperor, do I destroy my king titles?

Eimi fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Dec 11, 2013

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Eimi posted:

Well my Irish vassals haven't given me any trouble. It's my English and Scottish ones who keep rebelling/have a low opinion of me, largely because they desire the crown of those countries.

As well on the topic of realm organization, I have everything organized into duchies and such. I did it just because I like things to be neat and organized and it makes the map look pretty. And when I become an emperor, do I destroy my king titles?

If you become emperor of Britannia you should hand out the Irish, Welsh and Scottish kingdoms to vassals, while your demesne should be in England, with you keeping the title.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

DrSunshine posted:

A nice thing to do when you're the big badass emperor of all, king of kings, etc., is to give a city or two to a content dynastic relative, followed by a coastal county and then a duchy. They'll become a separate patrician version of your dynasty and they'll make great vassals, since the kin bonus helps alleviate the wrong government penalty. You can also help kick-start their trade posts and mansions and stuff by investing a lot of the sweet tax money you get as an emperor, which will give them an edge on the rival patricians when making trade posts. Also, once you get tired of being the emperor, you can just switch to your patrician branch and have fun being the safest republic in the world and leave the pesky rebellions to the AI.

A nice thing about creating and playing as a merchant republic this way, is that if you've been doing a good job of spreading your family around, you should have dozens of eligible heirs to your republic, and will never be in danger of a game over for your dynasty dieing like can happen at the start of a game.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Eimi posted:

Generally once you have 3+ kingdom titles you should hand them out all but one (keep the best one for yourself). It's a lot easier to keep three kings happy/murdered than it is to keep a couple dozen dukes. Also on the plus side is that they can usually take care of peasant rebellions and such all on their own and that you can raise the entire kingdom levy at once anywhere within it, cutting down on travel time by a decent amount.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Torrannor posted:

If you become emperor of Britannia you should hand out the Irish, Welsh and Scottish kingdoms to vassals, while your demesne should be in England, with you keeping the title.

Doesn't moving my capital reset my tech and such? Not to mention the money I poured into my holdings. I guess what is the advantage of moving it to England?

Eimi fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Dec 11, 2013

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

Eimi posted:

Doesn't moving my capital reset my tech and such? Not to mention the money I poured into my holdings. I guess what is the advantage of moving it to England?

England is a lot larger than Ireland, Scotland, or Wales, and you want to hold the largest kingdom yourself so you have the biggest levies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Eimi posted:

I wouldn't move your capital (unless you can find a better developed/advanced holding in England), but the English kingdom is the largest & most powerful of the four kingdoms of Brittania; if you're going to give away all but one, then it makes sense to keep the best one for yourself.

Personally, I'd argue against giving away kingdoms, unless you want to make the game harder for yourself. With many duke vassals, you can play divide-and-conquer; a king vassal is far more dangerous, and they're always plotting. (It's the nature of Kings.)

But both giving away & keeping kingdoms are valid choices. It's matter of taste, I suppose!

• Locked thread