Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Apparently Funker Vogt have broken up. Or at least, the singer has left.

:smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powdered Toast Man
Jan 25, 2005

TOAST-A-RIFIC!!!
I just heard about that, too. Oh well, I'm going to this tonight so I can...work out some kinks...

https://www.facebook.com/events/171229406413341/

If you're in Atlanta you should come. :devil:

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable
Funker Vogt are a top 5 band for me. But the last couple albums have felt like a Funker Vogt parody band, I won't miss them producing new music that much. I'm just devastated I never got to see them live...

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Baby Sathanas posted:

Funker Vogt are a top 5 band for me. But the last couple albums have felt like a Funker Vogt parody band, I won't miss them producing new music that much. I'm just devastated I never got to see them live...

Since I'm not sure if posting (relevant) image macros is allowed, I'll just link to one instead

W424
Oct 21, 2010

John Magnum posted:

Way back in the OP: The description of electro-industrial as taking metal and adding a dance beat is super evocative to me. Haven't really heard any, but I do listen to a bunch of death metal. Is there any electro-industrial that really plays up the metal aspects of it? Guitar riffs, maybe interspersing blastbeats with the dance backbone, maybe harsh vocals. Very heavy, or very fast. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciation.

I'm late on this (and pretty crunk) but here's my old band https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HP3duxKM7qY. REALpolitik and Tower are more in that vein of things.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

John Magnum posted:

Way back in the OP: The description of electro-industrial as taking metal and adding a dance beat is super evocative to me. Haven't really heard any, but I do listen to a bunch of death metal. Is there any electro-industrial that really plays up the metal aspects of it? Guitar riffs, maybe interspersing blastbeats with the dance backbone, maybe harsh vocals. Very heavy, or very fast. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciation.

Aaron Spectre's releases as Drumcorps might work for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86UQCpInft8

W424
Oct 21, 2010
New Cardinal Noire track in here (flash player)
http://www.sonic-seducer.de/index.php/component/option,com_botb/

Konstruct
Jul 22, 2007

I'm Going To Spread Saikyo All Over The World!!
Here's a free/name your price 18 track compilation from the label Juggernaut Music Group. I've got a remix or two on there. A little bit of everything is on there from Synthpop, EBM, to powernoise.

http://music.juggernautservices.com/album/gently caress-you-enjoy

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Konstruct posted:

Here's a free/name your price 18 track compilation from the label Juggernaut Music Group. I've got a remix or two on there. A little bit of everything is on there from Synthpop, EBM, to powernoise.

http://music.juggernautservices.com/album/gently caress-you-enjoy

that url is magical. :allears:

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Futurepop post.

There's a new Neuroticfish song. Supposedly, there's a new album coming sometime. I'm inclined to agree with Alex at ID:YD: "Call it cheesy, call it dated, I don’t much care: as long as the beat is right and the sequences are tight I’ll be feeling it."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ywfs07VFdpM

I've been listening to the new Solitary Experiments a bit. Mixed, but I have a soft spot for those guys. There's two tracks "Quicksand" and "Game Over" which really are quite wonderful. "Steering Wheel" could be a (good) Assemblage 23 song. Listen to it on Spotify.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Omi-Polari posted:

I've been listening to the new Solitary Experiments a bit. Mixed, but I have a soft spot for those guys. There's two tracks "Quicksand" and "Game Over" which really are quite wonderful. "Steering Wheel" could be a (good) Assemblage 23 song. Listen to it on Spotify.

I saw Solitary Experiments at Amphi Festival in 2010. Just a 40-min set, but they were so much fun live that I bought their then-new album Eye of the Beholder the next day. Not a perfect album, but there are some astoundingly solid tracks like Road to Horizon which is one of my go-to tracks for getting myself pumped up and going. The new album seems great based on the tracks you mentioned, gonna have to take a more thorough listen when I get the chance!

Personally I've just been listening to Blutengel - Monument pretty much non stop for the last week or so. I can't get over how ridiculously good that album is, it's just the perfect loving pop album. It's... uhh... I don't know what you guys'll think of me but out of all the fantastic albums released this year Monument might be my #1 :blush: Goddamnit I want to see this dumb rear end thing live :argh:

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

I've been listening to Monument a lot too, more than just about everything else that has come out this year. It really is fantastic.

I was actually trying to think of what my favorite releases from this year have been, and for the most part I can't even remember what came out this year any more, apart from Frontline Assembly and Skinny Puppy. Is there a site that keeps track of this or does retrospectives or anything? Normally I just look through this thread or the most recent releases on Metropolis Records, but I'm sure I'm missing some good stuff.

I actually just found out that a new System Syn album came out, for example. Listening to the preview clips right now and it seems decent enough, but I've found I wear out on his stuff fairly quickly.

Also, Metropolis signed BAAL? Had no idea.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

CAT rear end now!!! posted:

Personally I've just been listening to Blutengel - Monument pretty much non stop for the last week or so. I can't get over how ridiculously good that album is, it's just the perfect loving pop album. It's... uhh... I don't know what you guys'll think of me but out of all the fantastic albums released this year Monument might be my #1 :blush: Goddamnit I want to see this dumb rear end thing live :argh:
I was listening to Monument a lot when it came out but I've dialed it back a bit. It's a great album but it's also a very loud album. I'm the farthest thing from an audiophile but it gets a little TOO loud. On the other hand "Koenigin der Nacht" might be my favorite song of the year.

They also just dropped a live album supporting it and while it's largely kinda eh you also get to hear old Blutengel songs in big nice (live) concert audio and it's pretty :drac:

Armor-Piercing posted:

I was actually trying to think of what my favorite releases from this year have been, and for the most part I can't even remember what came out this year any more, apart from Frontline Assembly and Skinny Puppy. Is there a site that keeps track of this or does retrospectives or anything? Normally I just look through this thread or the most recent releases on Metropolis Records, but I'm sure I'm missing some good stuff.
At this point I just add albums to my exploding Spotify playlist collection which has become totally unmanageable, or I like songs on Soundcloud or favorite things on YouTube. It all gets jumbled up. I used to be the kind of person who would spend hours organizing mp3s and now it's: why bother? It's hard to keep track.

Looking through... Covenant and Project Pitchfork both released albums. (Mentioning the latter before CAT rear end now!!! does ahah.) Architect. Distorted Memory. XP8. Pankow. There were also some great super-indie industrial bands like Youth Code, Statiqbloom and .com/kill that released albums.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Nov 27, 2013

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!
So far this year my fav industrial/noise/weird releases are Gary Numan, Roly Porter, Melt-Banana, gently caress Buttons, and Architect. There might be something I'm missing but all of those releases were solid.

Twiin fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Nov 27, 2013

looking.glass.eyes
May 21, 2007

“The eye sees a thing more clearly in dreams than the imagination awake.” -Leonardo da Vinci
Not sure if it's been mentioned here yet, I'm liking the new Die Sektor a lot. I got to chat with them briefly at their show with Aesthetic Perfection in Wilmington DE back in October, super nice guys.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer
They came through Wilmington again? I saw them up there in July, it kinda ruled. I wasn't too familiar with them going into it, but they put on a pretty great show, glad to hear they're nice guys as well.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Armor-Piercing posted:

The new Covenant is a lot better than I expected (I really didn't like the previous one) and the new iVardensphere seems pretty drat good but I've not had a chance to listen to it much yet.

Edit: Oh, and the THYX album that came out in the summer - I love that one.

looking.glass.eyes
May 21, 2007

“The eye sees a thing more clearly in dreams than the imagination awake.” -Leonardo da Vinci

ANAmal.net posted:

They came through Wilmington again? I saw them up there in July, it kinda ruled. I wasn't too familiar with them going into it, but they put on a pretty great show, glad to hear they're nice guys as well.

Yeah I wasn't too familiar either. My sister likes them a lot, she saw them in Chicago earlier this year and told me despite a lovely turnout, they played their hearts out like it was a packed arena. They were at Mojo 13 with AP, Nekronet and Venal Flesh right before Halloween and before they went on were walking around and hanging out. Again, limited interaction but they came off as very cool and just happy to be there and playing. I've been listening to them obsessively since, and (-)existence is a fantastic album.

I also got to meet AP for a minute after their set and I know Daniel gets some hate with his online pissing contest shenagigans lately, but they were really nice too at least for the couple minutes I talked to them. They were trying to get out of the bar area but when I grabbed them to say hi and ask if my sister could get a photo with them they were more than happy and really seemed genuinely appreciative.

All in all a great show and a really fun night.

copshootcop
Aug 4, 2013

Omi-Polari posted:

Anyways, since I shat up this thread with that discussion here's something awesome you should listen to:

http://statiqbloom.bandcamp.com/album/mask-visions-poison

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0k7ajjQbLTc

Christ that is awesome. drat its like what would have happened if Puppy had gone on to make tracks similar to Frozen Sky. Maybe industrial music will finally start being weird and abstract again.

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable
Straftanz are quitting and playing their last show at Resistanz 2014 if ya caaaare... They have a few good songs.

AgentKaz
Oct 26, 2012
Aw man, I love Straftanz. At least I got to see them once.

Godmachine
Sep 5, 2004

I am beyond God.
I am Human.
Das Bunker, Los Angeles' premier goth/industrial dance club, will be closing on January 31st.

I've been down that way a few times and thoroughly enjoyed it. Huge spaces, multiple dance floors, multiple genres, good atmosphere, and always packed. It's easily one of the largest clubs of its kind in the country. Sad news to hear.

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?
I'm not that surprised, actually. Complex (also by one of the Das Bunker owners) recently opened in Glendale and they did a lot of joint events together, and it's a nicer venue and felt like a replacement + step up from Das Bunker. So, sad, but there's a pretty great replacement for regulars. One with competitive geek quiz nights (and beer bar).

Noricae fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Dec 11, 2013

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
drat that's really disappointing right on top of Atlanta Shelter closing too. I like Bunker when I'm around that neighborhood and I'm skeptical how you'd step up from it in terms of a modern music focused big floor goth set up. We'll see though. At least there's still Ruin Hollywood and Malediction, which are also amazing and not as crowded.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Sometimes the death of an institution is what a scene really needs to grow. Here in Philly, Nocturne was the big weekly goth/industrial dance party, and it ended last year. In its place, 4 or 5 new goth/industrial nights popped up and the scene is booming again.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
I was just there the week after last Christmas; Philly has a nice scene. (But 4 Depeche modes songs in one set, oh my God you just don't do that.)

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Vaguely topical.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDjFMOPL940

Tom Shear shared it :)

Godmachine
Sep 5, 2004

I am beyond God.
I am Human.

Silhouette posted:

Sometimes the death of an institution is what a scene really needs to grow. Here in Philly, Nocturne was the big weekly goth/industrial dance party, and it ended last year. In its place, 4 or 5 new goth/industrial nights popped up and the scene is booming again.

Great point. Here in the San Francisco, the biggest club night is Death Guild at the DNA Lounge. It has three dance floors, 5 bars, vendors, and even an attached cafe/eatery. Problem is that they only played Aesthetic Perfect-esque music all night. I can't tell most of the music apart until they inevitably play "Space and Time." I don't mind going but it's easily my least favorite club in the area.

However, there are plenty of alternatives in the area. Every week, there's usually no fewer than 5 different events at various venues.

EDIT: Malediction! That's what it was called. I went twice and really enjoyed it despite the size.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Here in Austin the one club is Elysium which is fairly small but plays goth-industrial on most nights including Fridays/Saturdays. There's also a popular 80s night and a drag show during the week.

The good thing about the club is that a lot of awesome musicians make it through. There's A LOT of music for a city that's really comparable in size to Nashville and it's built a cultural cachet. We're lucky in that we'll get acts that will only otherwise play New York, S.F., L.A., Chicago, etc.

The thing I don't like about it is ... how do I say this? I've found it hard to make friends there. I stopped going except for shows.

Silhouette posted:

And I suspect this ^ is why. It's the problem with these scenes. Elysium has been the only game in town for something like 20 years. It's always the same people hanging out there. There's a negative vibe. Or to put it better: the problem is that they're a bunch of dicks. The people I've met who are actually friendly were visiting from some other place.

On the plus side, there's a lot of competition. There's a small scene of industrial-influenced electronic musicians who play gigs at small punk venues, at boutique shops that sell electronic music gear, even inside tiny comedy clubs. Always a great attitude. There will be some Estonian noise artist playing on a Tuesday night. I like it.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Alfa Matrix has a new Matrix Downloaded comp up, name your own price.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Sometime this month we should each do a top 5 / 10 gothic-industrial records for the year.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Omi-Polari posted:

The thing I don't like about it is ... how do I say this? I've found it hard to make friends there. I stopped going except for shows.

And I suspect this ^ is why. It's the problem with these scenes. Elysium has been the only game in town for something like 20 years. It's always the same people hanging out there. There's a negative vibe. Or to put it better: the problem is that they're a bunch of dicks. The people I've met who are actually friendly were visiting from some other place.

Yeah, things tend to get very insular and cliquish when the same people attend the same places every week for an extended period. The Philly scene was like that for a long time, which is why it died a slow death and is finally seeing a resurgence due to all of the new hotspots.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Anyone heard anything about Coil reissues? It's been 3 years since Sleazy died and nothing...I can't even reach Thresholdhouse.com anymore.

Konstruct
Jul 22, 2007

Here's a new music video from my synthpop project IIOIOIOII.
Completely DIY and filmed in the freezing cold. Feedback is always welcome. :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNggl1qSt8Q

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

TOOT BOOT posted:

Anyone heard anything about Coil reissues? It's been 3 years since Sleazy died and nothing...I can't even reach Thresholdhouse.com anymore.

Sadly, nothing. But John from Brainwashed has just uploaded a ton of HQ Coil videos to his YouTube that he was compiling with Sleazy before his death. I can't link to it right now but I'm sure a bit of Googling should turn it up.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Caustic's got a new EP or something out, and Defence Mechanism and the Gothsicles made a song about The Whisperer in Darkness. Both free downloads.

Pope Guilty fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Dec 14, 2013

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

TOOT BOOT posted:

http://threshold.greedbag.com/

not exactly the same, but it's there...

cheapandugly
Jul 6, 2007

TOOT BOOT posted:

The only thing I had seen was the reissue of Sickness of Snakes, but that was several months ago.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Konstruct posted:

Here's a new music video from my synthpop project IIOIOIOII.
Completely DIY and filmed in the freezing cold. Feedback is always welcome. :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNggl1qSt8Q

I really like this.

Also, how do I say the name of your project?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Konstruct
Jul 22, 2007

Danger - Octopus! posted:

I really like this.

Also, how do I say the name of your project?

Thank you :) I pronounce it I.O.