Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

zoux posted:

That's odd because I've heard it's literally the worst show of all time.

Ha, well based on its ratings I'm not surprised some people feel that way. But, yeah, I guess I'm liking it well enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

That exchange isn't funny in any medium.

That's our Irish Joe! :laughtrack:

Something tells me that that's not a real comic strip in the vein of the POI ones though.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat
Hostages is awful. I can only accept that was a joke post, or was written by one of McDermott's family members.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Manos del Sino posted:

Hostages is awful. I can only accept that was a joke post, or was written by one of McDermott's family members.

Ok,ok, we're second cousins. :banjo:

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I don't put a lot of stock in TV and Movie reviews at all, but literally everything I've heard about Hostages points to it being one of the worst television shows in years. I watched the first episode when it aired and didn't like it all, never went back for more.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

Deadpool posted:

I don't put a lot of stock in TV and Movie reviews at all, but literally everything I've heard about Hostages points to it being one of the worst television shows in years. I watched the first episode when it aired and didn't like it all, never went back for more.

I've watched every episode and will stick with it. I'm not sure I'd go so far as to call it the worst, or one of the worst, shows in recent memory, but considering that I watch a lot of crap, and this is the crappiest crap out of all the crap that I watch the crap out of, it's a pretty big piece of crap.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
The plot is ridiculous and it gets even more ridiculous as it goes on, which is something that hardly seems possible but actually does happen, still I got into it after awhile. The last couple of episodes seem to have picked up a bit.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Here's an "F" AVClub review where the reviewer got real mad at the show:
http://www.avclub.com/review/burden-of-truth-105752

Here's the next week's review, which is an "A", because it got so bad it wrapped around back to the top of the scale.
http://www.avclub.com/review/off-the-record-106117

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
On a scale of Under the Dome to Dexter Season 8, how bad is it?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Slamhound posted:

The one episode I watched was worse than all of Under The Dome. Under The Dome was just a series of poor judgment calls in plotting and characterization combined with a bland cast. The pilot of Hostages was one of those things where you just wonder how exactly it even made it to television and why there are actual known actors in it.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Slamhound posted:

I personally gave up on Under the Dome about four or five episode before the finale, that show was just so mediocre and boring I couldn't force myself to watch it or care about the mystery. So I would rate Hostages higher or at least more interesting as it kept me watching. Dexter is a much better show, though. As bad as Dexter got and as bad as many of the supporting characters were it had some really good seasons.

I still remember back before season 4 of Dexter, when people heard Lithgow was going to be the main villain and didn't think he'd be able to pull it off because they only knew him from Third Rock from the Sun. So I posted this.

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Dec 10, 2013

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

zoux posted:

Here's an "F" AVClub review where the reviewer got real mad at the show:
http://www.avclub.com/review/burden-of-truth-105752

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > The TV IV > TV IV Couch Chat: "In retrospect, I might be taking this show too seriously."

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Hostages is a piece of poo poo waste of your life and I'm only still watching it because it's a 13 episode run and I'm OCD.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Deadpool posted:

The one episode I watched was worse than all of Under The Dome.

Wow, that is damning.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

raditts posted:

Wow, that is damning.

Watching all of Under the Dome does make me wonder about Deadpool's sanity a little.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
So nobody becomes a lumberjack and there's not a perpetually befuddled sheriff's deputy?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Hmm there's a Parks and Recreation town hall meeting in my city tonight. I may go to complain because I found a sandwich on the sidewalk in a local park and it made me sick when I ate it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

While I generally dislike the AV Club's redesign I did notice something kind of neat when reading their review of the pilot of Rodeo Girls, namely that when you're reading an article there's a header that stays at the top of the screen and as you scroll down or up it fills and empties to show how much article you have left.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

That's a neat piece of web technology, I guess, but in practice it makes the already-obnoxious pinned toolbar even worse by creating something that moves around in my peripheral vision as I read.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Sir Kodiak posted:

That's a neat piece of web technology, I guess, but in practice it makes the already-obnoxious pinned toolbar even worse by creating something that moves around in my peripheral vision as I read.

Truly, this is the Future.

Also, why the poo poo is Kirkman making a whole series based on Rosemary's Baby?!

ufarn
May 30, 2009

muscles like this? posted:

While I generally dislike the AV Club's redesign I did notice something kind of neat when reading their review of the pilot of Rodeo Girls, namely that when you're reading an article there's a header that stays at the top of the screen and as you scroll down or up it fills and empties to show how much article you have left.
We used to call those things "scroll bars", until people decided to plaster their website with crap and comments.

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

zoux posted:

Hmm there's a Parks and Recreation town hall meeting in my city tonight. I may go to complain because I found a sandwich on the sidewalk in a local park and it made me sick when I ate it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

io9 really really dug the Helix pilot. Spoilers obviously.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

io9 can't do anything without abject exaggeration.

Daedo
May 5, 2002

muscles like this? posted:

I know when I'm getting to the bottom of one of their articles because that little black arrow always pops up on the bottom right of my screen, and every single time I get distracted by it because I think it's a fly or a bug landing on my screen.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

zoux posted:

In my city they call it the department of Recreation and Park and it angers me.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

The Eagleton to my town's Pawnee has a Parks iPhone app. Like, come on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2-5KfSaFtU

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

Josh Lyman posted:

Hostages is a piece of poo poo waste of your life and I'm only still watching it because it's a 13 episode run and I'm OCD.

Zero Hour was a piece of poo poo waste of my life and I loved every minute of it. The AV Club reviewer slowly going insane has gotten me hyped for a similar experience.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

My roommate is watching Supernatural for the first time, and catching the odd episode here and there reminded me how hard this show was firing on all cylinders in seasons 4 and 5.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

One of my new hobbies is going through the old lineups of TV networks and seeing the shows that no one could possibly remember.

You catch some gems like Stark Raving Mad which is a sitcom sorta remake of The Odd Couple starring Monk and Doogie Howser that isn't amazing but pretty fun to watch.

And then you get shows that just seems bad like Veronica's Closet. Or something very mediocre like Good Morning, Miami

One of the ones that caught my eye was Leap of Faith which has this interesting tidbit on wikipedia: "Leap of Faith is a half-hour single-camera comedy that aired on NBC in early 2002, right after Friends on NBC's Thursday comedy block at 8:30 PM EST, as part of Must See TV. One of the highest rated shows to be cancelled, the series ended after just six episodes, despite ranking 12th for the season and having an average of 16.5 million viewers per episode." Unfortunately it seems almost impossible to watch since why would someone release a DVD of a show that was cancelled after 3 episodes and there's nothing on youtube except this one clip that makes it seem like a magically terrible show, one that I can't even fathom how it was made in to a series considering all the professionals that would have to be involved in making a TV show.

And then you get the shows that seem too bland to have ever been made in to a show like Jesse, make sure to check out that super interesting promo shot they have for the show.

Or a show with an amazing description like this: "The show depicts the life of Molly Bickford Dodd, a divorced woman in New York City with a lifestyle that could be described as both yuppie and bohemian. Molly seems to drift from job to job and relationship to relationship. Her ex-husband, a ne'er-do-well jazz musician, still cares for her. In fact, nearly every man she meets (and the occasional woman) adores her. Her warmth and emotional accessibility are the root cause of most of Molly's problems in life." (The Days and Nights of Molly Dodd)

Or Michael Chiklis being amazingly creepy in Daddio (that picture gives me nightmares, why did he ever do comedy?)

Or the show that gave me my favourite tagline, something right out of 30 Rock: "Fired Up is a short-lived NBC 19971998 situation comedy that lasted for two seasons and 28 episodes. The series, the first from Grammnet Productions, starred Sharon Lawrence as a self-centered promotions executive and Leah Remini as her mouthy assistant. When the pair got fired from their jobs, they teamed up to create a business as equal partners. The tagline of the series was "First she got fired, then she got fired up.""

But the favourite thing I learned from this endeavour was that there was a sitcom that ran from 1995 to 1998 for 3 seasons called The Naked Truth where they retooled the show each season, leading to one character suddenly no longer being mentally challenged. Back in the glory days when DVDs weren't a thing and you just had to hope no one remembered that one character had a disability one season that is just gone the next.

Certainly Must See TV

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

I just started watching Twin Peaks finally, and my friend told me that I should immediately stop watching as soon as "The police find out who the killer is", and pretend like they never made the rest of the series or the movie. Is this a generally held consensus, or should I go ahead and watch the whole thing?

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

SgtScruffy posted:

I just started watching Twin Peaks finally, and my friend told me that I should immediately stop watching as soon as "The police find out who the killer is", and pretend like they never made the rest of the series or the movie. Is this a generally held consensus, or should I go ahead and watch the whole thing?

The movie is the best part of Twin Peaks so your friend can go gently caress himself.

Just watch all of it, it's all interesting to watch even if it gets real weird and dumb in the second season.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

piratepilates posted:

One of my new hobbies is going through the old lineups of TV networks and seeing the shows that no one could possibly remember.

You catch some gems like Stark Raving Mad which is a sitcom sorta remake of The Odd Couple starring Monk and Doogie Howser that isn't amazing but pretty fun to watch.

And then you get shows that just seems bad like Veronica's Closet. Or something very mediocre like Good Morning, Miami

One of the ones that caught my eye was Leap of Faith which has this interesting tidbit on wikipedia: "Leap of Faith is a half-hour single-camera comedy that aired on NBC in early 2002, right after Friends on NBC's Thursday comedy block at 8:30 PM EST, as part of Must See TV. One of the highest rated shows to be cancelled, the series ended after just six episodes, despite ranking 12th for the season and having an average of 16.5 million viewers per episode." Unfortunately it seems almost impossible to watch since why would someone release a DVD of a show that was cancelled after 3 episodes and there's nothing on youtube except this one clip that makes it seem like a magically terrible show, one that I can't even fathom how it was made in to a series considering all the professionals that would have to be involved in making a TV show.

It was kind of fun to watch NBC try and fail repeatedly to find a show that could carry an audience between Friends and Seinfeld on Thursdays at 8:30. I vaguely remember some show called The Single Guy running for a while there.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

xeria posted:

It was kind of fun to watch NBC try and fail repeatedly to find a show that could carry an audience between Friends and Seinfeld on Thursdays at 8:30. I vaguely remember some show called The Single Guy running for a while there.

That was one I failed to mention only because it seemed interesting but it's not on youtube and I'm not sure there was ever a home release of it so I have no idea how I could watch it. That's something of a tragedy to me, that I can't watch all of these things because no one cares enough to put them out there.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Single Guy was the one with Jonathan Schwartz right?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
And it had Gretchen from Breaking Bad, that's all I remember.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

piratepilates posted:

I thought that Stark Raving Mad and Veronica's Closet ran for a while. Like four or five seasons. Not that I care enough to have ever seen an episode or bother looking up the details, but I thought they were mildly successful.

Of course sitcom line ups are littered with shows that make me go, "That ran how long? Are you sure you didn't multiply the number of episodes by ten accidentally?"

BTW, Wikipedia has you covered on this one. I'm pleased to note they've already added Dads to it.

Here's one for Almost Human fans:

Wikipedia posted:

Holmes & Yo-Yo Holmes & Yo-Yo was universally panned by critics and is #33 on TV Guide's List of the 50 Worst TV Shows of All Time. Many Nielsen viewers claimed they felt "uncomfortable" with the show's often racy humor, most especially episode seven, over 14 minutes of which was Yo-Yo verbalizing (in graphic detail) his desire for genitalia. Although the series lasted only 13 episodes (undaunted by the failure of the series, ABC green-lighted a similar concept the same season called Future Cop with Ernest Borgnine; it had the same success as Holmes & Yo-Yo), the influence of Holmes & Yo-Yo can be felt in other "robot cop" series and films that followed, most notably the RoboCop films and TV series, and the 1993 series, Mann & Machine which used the same premise as Holmes & Yo-Yo, only with a sexy female robot instead of the stout Yoyonovich.

SgtScruffy posted:

After that point things go badly off the rails as the remaining crew desperately attempt to be Lynch without Lynch around, under early 90's network standards, and shove the existing cast into bad soap opera plots. If you skip that you're fine.

Lynch came back for the last two episodes. The second to last episode is kind of skippable since there's a lot of carry over from those soap plots but the final episode is one of the craziest, most awesome hours of television ever produced. And because it's Lynch being Lynch you don't even have to worry about seeing anything that came in between the end of the Laura Palmer murder storyline and that episode.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Dec 11, 2013

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

piratepilates posted:

That was one I failed to mention only because it seemed interesting but it's not on youtube and I'm not sure there was ever a home release of it so I have no idea how I could watch it. That's something of a tragedy to me, that I can't watch all of these things because no one cares enough to put them out there.

The only reason I specifically remembered that show is because there was a promo spot that aired for both it and Caroline in the City, where the leads of each show discussed with each other how successful sitcoms have titles with a single word (referencing Friends/Seinfeld) and how they should shorten their show names to single words. It ended up 'Caroline' and 'Guy'.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

xeria posted:

The only reason I specifically remembered that show is because there was a promo spot that aired for both it and Caroline in the City, where the leads of each show discussed with each other how successful sitcoms have titles with a single word (referencing Friends/Seinfeld) and how they should shorten their show names to single words. It ended up 'Caroline' and 'Guy'.

That's ringing a bell. Great recall!

I really liked CAROLINE IN THE CITY, though young hormones and an appreciation of HOWARD THE DUCK were likely leading me astray.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobfromsales
Apr 2, 2010
Caroline in the city was a good sitcom, but can be added to the pile of shows that were ruined when the will-they/won't-they leads finally got together.

• Locked thread