Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
Is Wilsarin (rat/mouse poison) safe for cats to ingest?

I'm asking because we need my parents to watch our cats for a weekend, but due to a recent mouse infestation they have pellets of Wilsarin scattered in the basement. And one of our cats is the type that will try to eat/chew on anything lying on the ground, from dust bunnies to tissues. They'll try to keep the cats out of the basement, but there's always the off-chance that they might sneak down into it.

I was thinking of cleaning up as much of the poison as I can, but there's always the risk of leaving some behind. It'd be nice to have a cat-sitter, give my cats a chance to have a mouse killfest, and eliminate my parents' rodent problem all at once.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Dec 11, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LoreOfSerpents
Dec 29, 2001

No.

melon cat posted:

I'm asking because we need my parents to watch our cats for a weekend, but due to a recent mouse infestation they have pellets of Wilsarin scattered in the basement. And one of our cats is the type that will try to eat/chew on anything lying on the ground, from dust bunnies to tissues. They'll try to keep the cats out of the basement, but there's always the off-chance that they might sneak down into it.

I was thinking of cleaning up as much of the poison as I can, but there's always the risk of leaving some behind. It'd be nice to have a cat-sitter, give my cats a chance to have a mouse killfest, and eliminate my parents' rodent problem all at once.

Personally, I wouldn't risk it. Cellulose-based poisons are technically marketed as not being dangerous for secondary ingestion (i.e., not toxic to whatever eats the poisoned mice/rats), but that isn't the same as saying it's safe for pets to eat directly. I doubt these companies are in a hurry to do feeding trials on cats or dogs.

Wilson makes several kinds of poisons, many of which are definitely not safe for other animals, so you'd also have to trust that no other poisons have ever been used, there wasn't a mistake at the manufacturing plant, the mice haven't had access to any other poisons outside of the house, etc.

Also, letting your cats "have a mouse killfest" is a good way for them to be exposed to parasites/diseases anyway, so it's kind of in your best interests to keep them away from vermin infestations.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

melon cat posted:

The smell of cats and cat urine will drive mice away (well except some toxoplasmosis infected ones). Keep them out of the basement and it'll still affect the vermin down there. While letting them go nuts on the mice might seem like a good idea, if they are normally indoor cats with no access to prey species you're just going to get them full of worms as Lore pointed out. Basements are also a good way to get cats covered in dust and knock poo poo over.

My advise would be play it safe and keep them out. Sprinkle used litter down there if you want to speed up the mouse exodus though.

four lean hounds
Feb 16, 2012

melon cat posted:

Can you shut them out of the basement all together? I'd close the door or block it off while the poison is down there because I am paranoid about such things.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
Well, I think that I'm going to have to keep my cats out of the office. They normally aren't chewers or disposed to think that anything smaller than their mouths is food, but I just caught my tabby trying to devour a tiny paper clip. I was terrified - I can't even imagine what problems that would have caused had he swallowed that. Not sure he could have, but I'm not about to let him test it again.

I'm going to repeat this because nobody answered me last time: for a number of reasons I want to find a new home for my long-haired cat. She's about 8 months, spayed and vaccinated, but lost her tail in an accident a few weeks ago. She's showing no ill effects from it and I'm taking her in tomorrow to have the stitches pulled, but now that she's missing a limb of sorts I'm afraid that nobody would want her. I have no intention of handing her off to some grim shelter, no-kill or otherwise, and I'm not going to throw her out in the cold (and it is loving cold here right now), but does anyone know of any organisations, message boards or the like for finding homes for good cats? I'm afraid to try craigslist because you get some of the pikiest fuckers on the plant there, and I want her to have a good home.

I'd prefer to be vague, but I'm in the NW quadrant of the US for reference purposes or on the off chance that any goons here might be willing to give her a good home. I'd be willing to travel a good distance to find her a new family.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
Thanks a lot for the info, guys. I'll err on the side of caution for this one. I guess the only choice I have is to:

four lean hounds posted:

... close the door or block it off while the poison is down there

I also wasn't aware about the potential dangers of letting cats go mouse-hunting. Good to know.

four lean hounds
Feb 16, 2012

JustJeff88 posted:

Well, I think that I'm going to have to keep my cats out of the office. They normally aren't chewers or disposed to think that anything smaller than their mouths is food, but I just caught my tabby trying to devour a tiny paper clip. I was terrified - I can't even imagine what problems that would have caused had he swallowed that. Not sure he could have, but I'm not about to let him test it again.

I'm going to repeat this because nobody answered me last time: for a number of reasons I want to find a new home for my long-haired cat. She's about 8 months, spayed and vaccinated, but lost her tail in an accident a few weeks ago. She's showing no ill effects from it and I'm taking her in tomorrow to have the stitches pulled, but now that she's missing a limb of sorts I'm afraid that nobody would want her. I have no intention of handing her off to some grim shelter, no-kill or otherwise, and I'm not going to throw her out in the cold (and it is loving cold here right now), but does anyone know of any organisations, message boards or the like for finding homes for good cats? I'm afraid to try craigslist because you get some of the pikiest fuckers on the plant there, and I want her to have a good home.

I'd prefer to be vague, but I'm in the NW quadrant of the US for reference purposes or on the off chance that any goons here might be willing to give her a good home. I'd be willing to travel a good distance to find her a new family.

Start searching FB and give a general Google for Foster/Rescues in your town/area. Be prepared to search for a few hours travel radius, and contact them. Be polite and honest in the deal with your cat and ask if they'll take it in. A missing tail is a small (to me at least) "flaw" and your cat is still young, so maybe they will take it? You should be willing to put forth a donation or something if they can help you out. You should be able to find a few organizations that way.

For your cats that are getting into office supplies, I would suggest getting a plastic bin as a catch-all container for such things. Leave it on your desk and get into the habit of putting all small things in there so there is nothing left on your desk to serve as a hazardous snack.

I.C.
Jun 10, 2008

I have to give my cat like 8 little pieces of pills twice a day...I don't think I'm getting them all in him. I've been experimenting with different methods, but it seems like my rate of success is falling. How to get a bunch of pill bits into a cat? Mixing with water and "injecting" into his mouth isn't working; he spits it up. Hiding in delicious foods doesn't work at all. The regular method (get pills into back of cat's mouth/throat, massage, pray for forgiveness) worked the first time, but there are so many tiny pieces of pills to put in him that they can't all go in at once...or can they?

So my question is: what is the secret to get these pills into my cat?

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

JustJeff88 posted:

No one's going to have a good answer for you. No-kill shelter is the easiest option, with the highest likelihood of a good outcome. Otherwise you have to screen potential adopters yourself. You might be able to get a courtesy listing with a local rescue group so she'd be up on petfinder, just browse around for local cats - if you're vague about your location you won't get any specific recommendations. Stubby tails are distinctive and shouldn't be a huge barrier to getting adopted.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I'm aware of things like shelters and such, but my goal is not to dump her off and make it their problem to find her a new home. I just wondered if there are boards where I can advertise, for lack of a better term, and then meet potential adopters. The internet is the best way to communicate for many things these days, and that's all. If anyone knows any "networks", broadly speaking, for finding homes for pets online then I'd like to know about them. If not, I'll blind search while I make use of local resources.

Hella Nervous
May 13, 2005
You must be joking.
Is two weeks too long to leave my cats with a cat-sitter coming twice a day (but nobody actually staying at the house full-time)? They're both pretty people-focused and love attention, so I'm nervous.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

JustJeff88 posted:

I'm aware of things like shelters and such, but my goal is not to dump her off and make it their problem to find her a new home. I just wondered if there are boards where I can advertise, for lack of a better term, and then meet potential adopters. The internet is the best way to communicate for many things these days, and that's all. If anyone knows any "networks", broadly speaking, for finding homes for pets online then I'd like to know about them. If not, I'll blind search while I make use of local resources.

Petfinder. Courtesy listing through rescue group. If you're not willing to brave craigslist this is the way to go.

Rah
Mar 9, 2006
So I feel a little sad lately.. The last few days Chloe and Sophie wont seem to sleep on my bed anymore and prefer to go sleep on the stairs instead :( It makes me feel a little sad because they're all snuggled up together sleeping I want some of the kitty snuggles :( I guess there's nothing I can do to try convince them to come cuddle with me in bed, only give them some time and see if they decide to come back here

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Rah posted:

So I feel a little sad lately.. The last few days Chloe and Sophie wont seem to sleep on my bed anymore and prefer to go sleep on the stairs instead :( It makes me feel a little sad because they're all snuggled up together sleeping I want some of the kitty snuggles :( I guess there's nothing I can do to try convince them to come cuddle with me in bed, only give them some time and see if they decide to come back here

The cats will only venture onto our bed when they're hungry and want us to get up (we ignore them and pretend we don't notice them, and eventually they give up). They've gotten some rather rude shocks in the past when sleeping with us, as we will suddenly roll over or kick and send them flying. One cat loves to snuggle with my wife while she reads or grades on the bed, but once the lights are out and the people are under the covers, she bolts.

Sometimes cats will sleep on the pillow next to your head, but sleeping people are prone to sudden movements, which is rather frightening to a little kitty. You'll probably have to be content with snuggles while in a chair, when the lights are on and you won't make any unexpected movements.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich
So we got a second cat. Wasn't much our choice, but now he's ours. His name is Theodore and he is extremely sweet. He even seems to be okay with our resident cat, Jasper.

Jasper seems to loving hate Theodore, though. Mind that this is only day one. I know I shouldn't have introduced them so soon. We tried to do the whole thing where we keep them in separate rooms, but Theodore managed to slip out and meet Jasper a little early, so the damage is done. They haven't actively fought, and Jasper only really watches him and hisses when Theodore gets too close before sniffing him a bit, hissing again, and running away. I'm given to understand that this is pretty typical cat behavior, and actually pretty drat mild between two cats. Jasper has been hissing when I go over to pet him, though, and it's probably because I have some of Theodore's smell on me, and he's pretty stressed right now. He's still eating and using his litterbox, though.

Is there anything I can do besides just not letting them be in the same room unsupervised until they kind of hash it out and start getting along? How long can I expect it to take for two young-ish adult male cats (Jasper's 4, Theodore is 2) to start being a little more friendly to each other? Should I worry after two weeks? Two months?

Rah
Mar 9, 2006

Daily Forecast posted:

So we got a second cat. Wasn't much our choice, but now he's ours. His name is Theodore and he is extremely sweet. He even seems to be okay with our resident cat, Jasper.

Jasper seems to loving hate Theodore, though. Mind that this is only day one. I know I shouldn't have introduced them so soon. We tried to do the whole thing where we keep them in separate rooms, but Theodore managed to slip out and meet Jasper a little early, so the damage is done. They haven't actively fought, and Jasper only really watches him and hisses when Theodore gets too close before sniffing him a bit, hissing again, and running away. I'm given to understand that this is pretty typical cat behavior, and actually pretty drat mild between two cats. Jasper has been hissing when I go over to pet him, though, and it's probably because I have some of Theodore's smell on me, and he's pretty stressed right now. He's still eating and using his litterbox, though.

Is there anything I can do besides just not letting them be in the same room unsupervised until they kind of hash it out and start getting along? How long can I expect it to take for two young-ish adult male cats (Jasper's 4, Theodore is 2) to start being a little more friendly to each other? Should I worry after two weeks? Two months?

I had the same problems when I got Chloe. I'd already had my kitten Sophie for a month and decided to get another so she'd have someone to play with. I didn't keep them in separate rooms or anything but kept an eye on them and it was during a time I didn't really need to go anywhere for a few days. The first few days there was lots of hissing and fighting between them (which I'd promptly break up if it looked too rough), but after about day 4 they started to get along and now I have kitten piles and they seem to like each other <3

Anyway, I guess from my (little) experience.. Just keep a close eye on them and make sure neither of them gets hurt and I'm sure they'll quickly at least tolerate each other, if not actually like each other.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Daily Forecast posted:

I'm no expert but I have just been through a process of introducing a new young cat to an old cat who loving hates other cats so here are my thoughts:

There's nothing wrong with separating them even though they've met already if you still wanted to go the long and cautious route to introducing two cats. Just because they've seen each other, doesn't mean they couldn't benefit from being separated and only having to deal with each others' presence in limited circumstances. I guess what you do have is a better idea of how comfortable they both are with things. Is Theodore comfortable in a big new environment? If he seems nervous about things it might be better to let him get used to just one room for a while, but if he seems fine then it doesn't matter too much.

Honestly that reaction does sound really mild though. Our old lady cat refused to acknowledge the presence of the younger one until she had no choice and then it was growling and swiping if the younger one got anywhere near her. At first she was reluctant even to walk past her in the same room without a ton of growling. So sniffing and hissing and running away really is pretty good going.

The thing that was the most help in getting our two cats to coexist peacefully was to convince them to eat delicious wet food together and therefore associate each other with delicious nice things. First we had them on opposite sides of a closed door that has a bit of a gap from the bottom and we had to have their bowls quite far apart before old cat could be convinced that it was okay to eat her food. We moved the bowls closer and then went to a babygate-style barrier so they could see each other and now they eat perfectly happily less than a metre apart with no barrier between them at all.

I should note that the process above took months to reach the point they're now at, but also that our old lady cat is pretty far down the scale of hating and fearing other animals. I doubt it'll take months for your two to get along better. I also wouldn't be too concerned about having them actually like each other though. If they can exist peacefully without either of them seeming stressed then that's enough, I guess unless you've got your heart set on the first cat having a playmate.

JayJay
Jun 16, 2005

TEHHHHHH Jetplane!

I.C. posted:

I have to give my cat like 8 little pieces of pills twice a day...I don't think I'm getting them all in him. I've been experimenting with different methods, but it seems like my rate of success is falling. How to get a bunch of pill bits into a cat? Mixing with water and "injecting" into his mouth isn't working; he spits it up. Hiding in delicious foods doesn't work at all. The regular method (get pills into back of cat's mouth/throat, massage, pray for forgiveness) worked the first time, but there are so many tiny pieces of pills to put in him that they can't all go in at once...or can they?

Yikes, 8 little pieces is a huge pain in the rear end. Basically though, the only way to do it without causing him more stress is to just dive in and make it quick.

First wrap him up in a towel if hes skittish (aka kitty burrito) and get down on your knees and stick him between your legs with a firm grip. (Unless you have someone that can hold him, which will help tremendously.)

With one hand, open up his mouth gently and with the other, as quickly as possible, stick the pills as far back in his mouth that you can, pull your hand back and close his mouth with the hand you used to open it. He will involuntarily swallow anything back there. It may take a few times to get it right, and he's going to hate you for about 5 minutes everytime, but if you can do it quickly he won't be as stressed about it. After that, give him some treats and lots of praise so he doesn't rip your eyes out at night.

Rah posted:

:3: D'aww, this is like the best problem you can ever have for two cats. Mine only comes and sleeps on me at 5 am (on schedule every morning) but otherwise she sleeps on her cat tree right near my bed. You might want to get them some kind of comfy cat furniture near your bed, so at least they are around you at night.

Hella Nervous posted:

Is two weeks too long to leave my cats with a cat-sitter coming twice a day (but nobody actually staying at the house full-time)? They're both pretty people-focused and love attention, so I'm nervous.

It's really going to depend on your cats, but if you can have the cat-sitter give them a good play session (maybe get them an interactive rod toy if you don't have one) at least they'll get some energy release and play each day. Twice a day is great though, I know many people that just have someone come and divvy out food once a day and then leave. They're probably not going to be happy but I doubt its going to cause any long term problems.

JayJay fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Dec 11, 2013

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Thanks for the advice. I think I'll just keep doing what I'm doing and hope for the best.

Extremely interesting thing happened between our two cats. Jasper was under the futon, growling and hissing very loudly at Theodore as he passed by, his ears flat back on his head and his teeth bared. He looked PISSED. Then Theodore just kinda flopped on his back, showing Jasper his belly, and Jasper stopped pretty much immediately. I know that's a very submissive pose for a cat, so that was pretty much Theodore saying "okay man, you're the boss".

Jasper's hissing a lot less now, even though he still does when Theodore gets too close. Pretty good progress for two days.

baxxy
Feb 18, 2005

You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is 'never try'. -homer simpson

I.C. posted:

I have to give my cat a giant nasty bitter pill twice a day. I picked up a plastic "pill plunger" at the pet store (woo, alliteration!)... found it in the dog meds section. I scruff him and lift him slightly so he can't scrabble with his front paws, jam the plunger in the corner of his mouth, and plunge. 9 times out of 10 that works (rarely, I miss or he turns his head at the last second so it doesn't go in far enough and he spits it out. We just try again).

It's sad the delicious foods don't work. The other pill my cat has to take is small so I use the pill pocket treats that Greenies makes. They are so dense and smelly, my cat actually begs for them at pill time.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
Does anyone else's cat dig around in the litter box like they're building sand castles and not actually do anything?

Our cat Milo started doing that today, never actually squatting to do anything. When he does squat, a little bit of urine comes out, but he's not obsessively licking himself like when cats have cystitis or anything like that. I don't know if I should bring him to work tomorrow or what :(

Rah
Mar 9, 2006
Today Chloe and Sophie had their appointment with the vets. Chloe had a checkup and her first vaccination, and Sophie went for her 2nd vaccination. I asked the vet to have a look at the sore on Chloe's neck that I found on Friday last week, and the vet found out that she had fleas and so it might have been caused by her scratching, and not caused by Sophie while playing together (Which I'm actually quite glad to know it may not have been Sophie's fault). The reason I wanted them to go to the vets at the same time was just in case Chloe did bring some fleas when I adopted her, because it'd not make sense to treat her and not treat Sophie at the same time since if Sophie had caught some, they'd only go back on Chloe again. Anyway, they've both had some flea treatment now so hopefully no more nasty scares with Chloe :)

I also mentioned Chloe's wind problem to the vet, but it hasn't been as bad since I switched them both to some better food, so the vet just advised to keep using the food I'm using now because it's likely something in the other food that was causing it since it's improved since switching.

Anyway, I'm really pleased now that they're all sorted and happy and healthy :) Chloe has to go back in 3 weeks for her 2nd vaccination, but once that's done then I'll hopefully not need to take them to the vets again until it's time for them to be spayed :) It was also nice seeing the vet again, because I had so many questions I'd thought of since last time I went and it's really nice to be able to ask someone trained to care for animals for advice about things :) I just want to do the best for my little kitties but sometimes it's difficult to know how to best look after them when you're not very experienced in keeping cats

four lean hounds
Feb 16, 2012

Shnooks posted:

Does anyone else's cat dig around in the litter box like they're building sand castles and not actually do anything?

Our cat Milo started doing that today, never actually squatting to do anything. When he does squat, a little bit of urine comes out, but he's not obsessively licking himself like when cats have cystitis or anything like that. I don't know if I should bring him to work tomorrow or what :(

I would keep a close eye on Milo, as that sounds like it could be the start of a blockage or something. Hope he was just being a pain and goes back to pissing like a champ.

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

Funny story, my cat stopped pissing and making GBS threads for two entire days and I was beside myself trying to decide if I needed to take her to the vet (she was showing no symptoms of urinary issues). Then I realized she didn't like the new litter I got when I bought some more of the old kind and she immediately peed. loving rear end in a top hat cat. She was probably peeing in the bathtub or something.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Fibby Boy posted:

Question for you guys. My aunts cat has a liver shunt and can't digest protein. She's already taken him to the vet and gotten the diagnosis. Vet said to put him on a low protein diet or pay for a surgery. My aunt can't afford the surgery so she's been trying to get a decent diet for the little guy but she's having troubles. Dude is hungry all the time. Can anyone recommend a low protein diet or a site that deals with that kind of thing?

Did the vet start the cat on any medications?

TheMirage
Nov 6, 2002
Anyone have experience with alternatives to the cone of shame when it comes to post-op incision lick prevention? My 6mo old kitten just came home from spay surgery yesterday and she's already gotten the cone off twice. When it is on she can't really eat, and also when she goes into the litter box she gets all of the litter inside the cone.

I was thinking about trying out either a thin piece of gauze and a bandage on the incision, or maybe even a harness type of clothing to put her in if I can find something at the pet store. Any other thoughts?

Bad Mitten
Aug 26, 2004
Intuition as guided by experience
Is she really going after her incision? My kitten had her spay just a few weeks ago and didn't bother it at all. We never needed the cone.

TheMirage
Nov 6, 2002
The first time she took it off she started licking around the area. The area was shaved so I think she's just itchy. When she was in the area she definitely licked the wound a bit. I'm afraid she might keep at it when she's alone.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

So I'm about to move from an apartment to a house with basement and back yard and all sorts of other goodies.

Is moving a good/great time to try and switch the cats from litter boxes to the toilet training method (litter Qwitter and whatnot)?

Since the rule is give them a small room to call their own, the one bathroom perhaps, setting up the toilet system would be pretty easy, or is the stress of moving too much of a factor to start such a process?

Currently one cat likes to go on the carpet in my current apartment, but at this point its because i went on vacation and the cat sitter didn't clean it up so it soaked into the under padding. Even with deep cleaning with a Upright wetvac full of Natures miracle instead of normal water/carpet cleaner. (she poops in the litterbox and switches back and froth between box and carpet for urination. No pain or struggling when she pees drinks plenty of water, etc.)

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

TheMirage posted:

The first time she took it off she started licking around the area. The area was shaved so I think she's just itchy. When she was in the area she definitely licked the wound a bit. I'm afraid she might keep at it when she's alone.

You should be able to buy something to put on the area to make it taste bitter and awful. That seems to be the method of choice for my local vet rather than a cone of shame and it works wonders. It only lasts for a few days at a time but for all but the dumbest cats a few days is long enough for them to associate licking the stitches with terrible tasting poo poo.

TheMirage
Nov 6, 2002

Organza Quiz posted:

You should be able to buy something to put on the area to make it taste bitter and awful. That seems to be the method of choice for my local vet rather than a cone of shame and it works wonders. It only lasts for a few days at a time but for all but the dumbest cats a few days is long enough for them to associate licking the stitches with terrible tasting poo poo.

Ok, I think I have to avoid putting that directly on the wound though because the sutures are the dis-solvable type. I hope just being around the area is enough of a deterrent.

I'll give that a try.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

toplitzin posted:

So I'm about to move from an apartment to a house with basement and back yard and all sorts of other goodies.

Is moving a good/great time to try and switch the cats from litter boxes to the toilet training method (litter Qwitter and whatnot)?

Since the rule is give them a small room to call their own, the one bathroom perhaps, setting up the toilet system would be pretty easy, or is the stress of moving too much of a factor to start such a process?

Currently one cat likes to go on the carpet in my current apartment, but at this point its because i went on vacation and the cat sitter didn't clean it up so it soaked into the under padding. Even with deep cleaning with a Upright wetvac full of Natures miracle instead of normal water/carpet cleaner. (she poops in the litterbox and switches back and froth between box and carpet for urination. No pain or struggling when she pees drinks plenty of water, etc.)

If you have a cat who's already expressed any sort of preference for a surface other than the litterbox, I would not try to toilet train. Are you using Cat Attract litter?

JayJay
Jun 16, 2005

TEHHHHHH Jetplane!

toplitzin posted:

Toilet training cats is one of the dumbest ways that pet owners try and get cats to conform to their human desires, one dumb step above dressing up a cat and one dumb step below declawing.

I'll just name off a few reasons from the top of my head why this is a terrible idea.

First, your cats poo poo and piss is a HUGE benefit to you in reading their general health and well being. Cat's do not visibly let you know they are sick until they are on the verge of death. Their litter habits and goings are big red flags that can prevent illness.

Second, it's not natural, at all. Cat's do not jump up and then balance to take a crap, it creates a physical difference in how they use the bathroom which can lead to stress, accidents and problems later down the line when they are older and not as limber. Cats instinctively use the litter box, its a process of digging, crapping, and then covering that is part of being a cat.

Third, you have multiple cats, and one toilet, guess what happens when one cat has to go and another is up on the toilet? Have fun cleaning up poo poo and piss! Speaking of poo poo and piss, the toilet smells, poo poo and piss in open water smells far worse than litter, which covers up that smell within seconds.

Fourth, its just stupid. Seriously, god drat, it's some of the stupidest poo poo I hear from pet owners. Let your cats be cats.

Edit: Ok, I get a bit worked up over this stuff. But I wanted to throw in some help as well regarding the carpet pee'er. One is that, natures miracle sucks now, they were bought out and changed the formula, its the name only now. I would probably go with a good CO2 cleaner instead to get rid of that smell. Do you have multiple litter boxes already? If not, you should have number of cats + 1 litter boxes in your house, possibly with different litter types to find which one they like the best. Its going to be a new house, so theres no way to even know if its going to continue, maybe that was just a spot that another cat once pissed on and they are showing territorial insecurity over it.

JayJay fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Dec 12, 2013

Badera
Jan 30, 2012

Student Brian Boyko has lost faith in America.
I've had my cat for about seven years now, and he has become overweight in the last 2-3 years (despite strict feeding guidelines from the vet, etc.), so he has difficulty cleaning his rear. Within the past month or so, however, he has started to have issues with his poop--specifically, when he takes a poo poo, it usually ends up not fully disengaging from his rear end and subsequently smeared in inappropriate places when he decides to lay down. Needless to say, this has become a real problem. The vet suggested regular rear end-shavings, which I have done faithfully, but it doesn't seem to be correcting the problem.

Battlecat (:haw:) is also very sensitive about his nether regions, so I'm sort of at a loss for what to do. Approaching him with a wet wipe is sort of like taking your life in your hands. He typically has to be sedated somewhat for the vet to shave him back there.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
Welp, my cat is sick. I think. She actually slept on my bed all night instead of her usual leaving for the couch around 5 AM routine, and when she woke up one of her eyes was leaky. Discharge was clear and look like it was just water. She eagerly ran to her food bowl when I put out breakfast, but she didn't seem to eat anything before I left for work. Going to keep my eye on her, but it's probably just a cold right?

four lean hounds
Feb 16, 2012

TheMirage posted:

Anyone have experience with alternatives to the cone of shame when it comes to post-op incision lick prevention? My 6mo old kitten just came home from spay surgery yesterday and she's already gotten the cone off twice. When it is on she can't really eat, and also when she goes into the litter box she gets all of the litter inside the cone.

I was thinking about trying out either a thin piece of gauze and a bandage on the incision, or maybe even a harness type of clothing to put her in if I can find something at the pet store. Any other thoughts?

Yeah, I would go for a little kitten shirt/sweater type thing. If she's small enough you can make her a sassy waistband out of a sock. A fabric or inflatable cone of shame might also serve your purposes.

JayJay
Jun 16, 2005

TEHHHHHH Jetplane!

Badera posted:

I've had my cat for about seven years now, and he has become overweight in the last 2-3 years (despite strict feeding guidelines from the vet, etc.), so he has difficulty cleaning his rear. Within the past month or so, however, he has started to have issues with his poop--specifically, when he takes a poo poo, it usually ends up not fully disengaging from his rear end and subsequently smeared in inappropriate places when he decides to lay down. Needless to say, this has become a real problem. The vet suggested regular rear end-shavings, which I have done faithfully, but it doesn't seem to be correcting the problem.

Battlecat (:haw:) is also very sensitive about his nether regions, so I'm sort of at a loss for what to do. Approaching him with a wet wipe is sort of like taking your life in your hands. He typically has to be sedated somewhat for the vet to shave him back there.

Are you looking for advice on how to get your cat to lose weight, or advice on how to deal with his butt more? (Hopefully the first option) Also, can you throw up a picture just to get an idea of how overweight he is?

Strict feeding is a start, and it sounds like he is still getting too much if he isn't losing weight. What are you feeding him, I would probably go grain free or a specific "light" formula. Another big thing is going to be getting him active and moving around the home. Do you play with him much daily? An interactive rod with a flutter feather would do wonders with any cat and should get him panting on his side within a few minutes. Plus, with a name like Battlecat, he should be tearing the hell out of toys!

quote:

Welp, my cat is sick. I think. She actually slept on my bed all night instead of her usual leaving for the couch around 5 AM routine, and when she woke up one of her eyes was leaky. Discharge was clear and look like it was just water. She eagerly ran to her food bowl when I put out breakfast, but she didn't seem to eat anything before I left for work. Going to keep my eye on her, but it's probably just a cold right?

It might be a cold, but if it stays clear there isn't too much to worry about. If it gets worse, see a vet, and maybe in the mean time give her some L-Lysine to help clear it up.

TheMirage posted:

Honestly, you should have left the cone on. She would have gotten used to it after a few days. I made the same mistake though with my kitten though and took it off, it's hard to not fall for their miserable looks in it. She went right to licking it, and I had to yell at her 5000 times, but I got lucky and had no stitch issues. You might want to try and find a "soft cone" which is probably a lot more comfortable than the plastic one.

JayJay fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Dec 12, 2013

Mindisgone
May 18, 2011

Yeah, well you know...
That's just like, your opinion man.
Harley is roughly a 1 year old Female my fiance and I have had for about a year. Adopted from a good friend out of state because he never ok'd his girlfriend getting the cat and his small children were torturing the cat I believe. She is an rear end in a top hat but shes also very affectionate so I let a lot of things go (the latest is attacking the fake Xmas tree and nibbling on the fake leaves). We also have a kingsnake and 2 guinea pigs (appropriately Pigs and jigs) and they all live in one room which we keep the door closed. The guinea pigs have a large open cage so the cat like to jump in to say hi and eat they're hay.

I read the OP sections regarding introducing a new cat but what about introducing a dog into the home? I am referring to an older smal shiatsu (cute little thing). My father has a female shiatsu and he has no regards for boundaries so every once and a while he would bring his dog over. His dog was very curious about Harley but she would just scurry to the basement and not come out until my father left with the dog.

IF I decide to get this dog for myself how should I introduce her? Am I doomed to just never have a dog? I know these things are usually you get once chance to do it right so I want to be sure what I am up against. I wouldn't want to get a dog only to have my cat live in a small corner of the basement and never see us. The dog is for my fiance I love Harley more than anything.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich
After two days I'd thought it'd been getting better, but it's actually now getting worse. Teddy (Theodore Roosevelt :3:) used to be nonconfrontational, but now when Jasper hisses lightly at him, he actually goes after and harasses him. Not actually trying to hurt him, it doesn't seem, but more just leaping after and swatting.

Is it normal (or at least not a terrible sign that I'm doomed) for aggression to increase slightly while trying to introduce them? They still aren't fighting, but the hissing/yowling is getting worse.

Edit: Would Feliway help?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badera
Jan 30, 2012

Student Brian Boyko has lost faith in America.

JayJay posted:

Are you looking for advice on how to get your cat to lose weight, or advice on how to deal with his butt more? (Hopefully the first option) Also, can you throw up a picture just to get an idea of how overweight he is?

Strict feeding is a start, and it sounds like he is still getting too much if he isn't losing weight. What are you feeding him, I would probably go grain free or a specific "light" formula. Another big thing is going to be getting him active and moving around the home. Do you play with him much daily? An interactive rod with a flutter feather would do wonders with any cat and should get him panting on his side within a few minutes. Plus, with a name like Battlecat, he should be tearing the hell out of toys!

Well, both, I guess. I asked my vet specifically the last time I was in whether there was anything more I could do to help him lose weight and he just sort of shrugged at me. I admit, I probably don't do as much playing with him as I should, so that's something I can easily fix. I even have a rod laying around here somewhere, so I can get on that immediately. He has a few other toys that he plays with by himself. In the meantime, though, I wouldn't mind any advice people have on how to clean him up somewhat.

I feed approximately 250 k/cal a day with Taste of the Wild. Obviously he doesn't get any additional food (tuna, etc.) He was 23 lbs the last time he was weighed.

Here's a picture. I can chase him down and take another if necessary.

Badera fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Dec 12, 2013