Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Bobfromsales posted:

Caroline in the city was a good sitcom, but can be added to the pile of shows that were ruined when the will-they/won't-they leads finally got together.

Yeah, I remember flipping from 'like' to 'not like' pretty much on a dime once Caroline and Richard got together in Season 3? I think. It pulled a lot of similar stunts with that will-they/won't-they as Friends did with Ross/Rachel -- he loves her but she doesn't know; then she discovers that she loves him but he's moved on; enter sweeps moment where he finds out she loves him.

Edit: Also, I just noticed on wikipedia that CitC only had its first two seasons ever released on DVD in the US. Weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I seem to remember WGN used to air the reruns of Caroline for a long time for a while about 10 years ago in the afternoons but that I think was the last time I saw it.

With all the semi-forgotten sitcoms out there, I remember the USA Network's relatively short-lived block of airing cancelled 90s sitcoms in the late mornings-early afternoons about 10 years ago, too. Things like the John Laroquette Show, Get a Life, Ned and Stacy, and a few others of that variety.

I don't mind the late night hours of TV and local broadcasters having syndicated sitcoms to fill up their blocks, but I do sort of wish they'd go back to having some variety here and there and not just make it all Home Improvement, AFV and CBS comedies that ended in the last half-dozen years.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

JediTalentAgent posted:

[...] Ned and Stacy [...]

That was one of my favorites, though I've not seen in it since airing; I may have a VHS full at SLP speed in some distant place. The four principal cast members nailed it, Church especially.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

piratepilates posted:

One of my new hobbies is going through the old lineups of TV networks and seeing the shows that no one could possibly remember.

You catch some gems like Stark Raving Mad which is a sitcom sorta remake of The Odd Couple starring Monk and Doogie Howser that isn't amazing but pretty fun to watch.

And then you get shows that just seems bad like Veronica's Closet. Or something very mediocre like Good Morning, Miami

One of the ones that caught my eye was Leap of Faith which has this interesting tidbit on wikipedia: "Leap of Faith is a half-hour single-camera comedy that aired on NBC in early 2002, right after Friends on NBC's Thursday comedy block at 8:30 PM EST, as part of Must See TV. One of the highest rated shows to be cancelled, the series ended after just six episodes, despite ranking 12th for the season and having an average of 16.5 million viewers per episode." Unfortunately it seems almost impossible to watch since why would someone release a DVD of a show that was cancelled after 3 episodes and there's nothing on youtube except this one clip that makes it seem like a magically terrible show, one that I can't even fathom how it was made in to a series considering all the professionals that would have to be involved in making a TV show.

And then you get the shows that seem too bland to have ever been made in to a show like Jesse, make sure to check out that super interesting promo shot they have for the show.

Or a show with an amazing description like this: "The show depicts the life of Molly Bickford Dodd, a divorced woman in New York City with a lifestyle that could be described as both yuppie and bohemian. Molly seems to drift from job to job and relationship to relationship. Her ex-husband, a ne'er-do-well jazz musician, still cares for her. In fact, nearly every man she meets (and the occasional woman) adores her. Her warmth and emotional accessibility are the root cause of most of Molly's problems in life." (The Days and Nights of Molly Dodd)

Or Michael Chiklis being amazingly creepy in Daddio (that picture gives me nightmares, why did he ever do comedy?)

Or the show that gave me my favourite tagline, something right out of 30 Rock: "Fired Up is a short-lived NBC 1997–1998 situation comedy that lasted for two seasons and 28 episodes. The series, the first from Grammnet Productions, starred Sharon Lawrence as a self-centered promotions executive and Leah Remini as her mouthy assistant. When the pair got fired from their jobs, they teamed up to create a business as equal partners. The tagline of the series was "First she got fired, then she got fired up.""

But the favourite thing I learned from this endeavour was that there was a sitcom that ran from 1995 to 1998 for 3 seasons called The Naked Truth where they retooled the show each season, leading to one character suddenly no longer being mentally challenged. Back in the glory days when DVDs weren't a thing and you just had to hope no one remembered that one character had a disability one season that is just gone the next.

Certainly Must See TV

Hey lovely TV guru. I'm trying to think but was Working a prelude to the Office, and was Men Behaving Badly pretty much Two and a Half Men?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Working was more of a zany comedy than a situational workplace one. Veronica's Closet was also mostly notable for having one of the cast members killing themselves, not on the set or anything like that though. That'd be too interesting. Also the only thing that The Naked Truth ever accomplished was causing The X-Files to move production from Vancouver to LA as Duchovny wanted to stay close to Tea Leoni.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Man, I enjoyed the hell out of the first season of The John Laroquette Show. Recovering alcoholic working the night shift at a St Louis bus depot? It practically wrote itself, but it was too "dark" and on opposite of Rosanne to gain any traction. They retooled it to be "brighter" and...well, it got two more seasons, but it never felt the same.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Haha, Caroline in the City, Suddenly Susan and Veronica's Closet kind of morph into the same generic NBC sitcom in my head.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
By the by, I've defended Dexter for years as being knowingly daft but entertaining. Having just watched the last season I feel the need to say that yeah, in retrospect it probably should have been given a Viking funereal years ago.
The entire season was an exercise in doing things for the sake of things, and suffocating the programme in an avalanche of botched attempts to provide closure and a 'fitting' end.

It should have been about Dexter methodically murdering all of his colleagues while wearing his son's head as a hat. Because at least it would have been memorable, and we would have had a pay off for all those years of loving terrible supporting performances. And I hate the first name Harrison.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
There was a period in the mid to late 90s where Hollywood was absolutely insistent on making her the Next Big Thing.

Christ, that was loving annoying.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

hope and vaseline posted:

Haha, Caroline in the City, Suddenly Susan and Veronica's Closet kind of morph into the same generic NBC sitcom in my head.

...I'm pretty sure the same thing happened for me with Suddenly Susan and Veronica's Closet. Who even was in VC besides Kirstie Alley? I thought Judd Nelson was but he was in SS with Brooke Shields, wasn't he?

Bobfromsales
Apr 2, 2010
Suddenly Susan, Veronica's closet, and Just Shoot Me were definitely all the same show.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
So was "The Days and Life of Molly Dodd" basically the rough sketch of New Girl then?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

precision posted:

So was "The Days and Life of Molly Dodd" basically the rough sketch of New Girl then?

It felt like it. At least Blair Brown got a better role on Fringe.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene

Bobfromsales posted:

Suddenly Susan, Veronica's closet, and Just Shoot Me were definitely all the same show.

Just Shoot Me is a classic sitcom, however.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Slamhound posted:

There was a period in the mid to late 90s where Hollywood was absolutely insistent on making her the Next Big Thing.

Christ, that was loving annoying.

And then there was her influence on the X-Files.

In the latest channel rebranding news, Bio will now be known as FYI

http://www.deadline.com/2013/12/ae-networks-bio-renamed-fyi-as-it-converts-into-lifestyle-network/#utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Ubiquitous_ posted:

Just Shoot Me is a classic sitcom, however.
To me, Just Shoot Me will forever be remembered as the mediocre sitcom NBC chose to push over Newsradio.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

xeria posted:

...I'm pretty sure the same thing happened for me with Suddenly Susan and Veronica's Closet. Who even was in VC besides Kirstie Alley? I thought Judd Nelson was but he was in SS with Brooke Shields, wasn't he?

Veronica's Closet had Ron Silver. Who was certainly brilliant, yet utterly wasted on that show. It also had one of the lab techs from CSI as a straight guy that everyone thought was gay. Which is a joke that was old half way through the first episode. "I'm not gay, what is it with you and my mother?"

I have no idea how I remembered that line from the pilot.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Bobfromsales posted:

They were all part of a weird trend in the 90s of setting shows at a magazine.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

muscles like this? posted:

They were all part of a weird trend in the 90s of setting shows at a magazine.

Work at a magazine, video store, pizza place or, in rare cases, clothing store.
Truly, the 90s were a time of enlightenment.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Just Shoot Me had that one episode where David Cross was pretending to be a disabled guy, and I think that's all I can remember about it.

Bobfromsales
Apr 2, 2010

Fag Boy Jim posted:

Just Shoot Me had that one episode where David Cross was pretending to be a disabled guy, and I think that's all I can remember about it.

"chicken pot, chicken pot, chicken pot pie" is still a line that gets stuck in my head that my 13 year old self thought was hilarious.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Guys, soon we will receive a gift from another forum. A thread hand picked for us to cherish and nurture through the holiday season. I've already given our Christmas gift to Entertainment Weakly. It's a loss that will be felt around for hours to come I'm sure, but we'll carry on. I expect you guys to treat our new thread, whatever it may be, as if it was one of our own.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Fag Boy Jim posted:

Newsradio had David Cross as depressed magician and also as a member of Dave's a cappella group. The other members were Bob Odenkirk and Brian Posehn. I love Newsradio so much.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Deadpool posted:

Guys, soon we will receive a gift from another forum. A thread hand picked for us to cherish and nurture through the holiday season. I've already given our Christmas gift to Entertainment Weakly. It's a loss that will be felt around for hours to come I'm sure, but we'll carry on. I expect you guys to treat our new thread, whatever it may be, as if it was one of our own.

So we should bicker in circles about the endings of Lost and BSG, drop a few Game Thrones spoilers, and generally be terrible?

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Deadpool posted:

Aw, too bad you didn't draw ADTRW. Glad you shipped that thread off anyway.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

IRQ posted:

So we should bicker in circles about the endings of Lost and BSG, drop a few Game Thrones spoilers, and generally be terrible?

Well, yeah. It wouldn't be the TV/IV experience without all that.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

I was intrigued as to which thread was gifted, so I want over to check it out.

:laffo:

I'm almost tempted to follow it now.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
The thread will be neither better nor worse for it. Seriously.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Deadpool posted:

Guys, soon we will receive a gift from another forum. A thread hand picked for us to cherish and nurture through the holiday season. I've already given our Christmas gift to Entertainment Weakly.

You chose... wisely.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

precision posted:

You chose... wisely.

Nobody's going to believe this, but I did chose it randomly between it and four other threads once I found out which forum I drew. Had I drawn the anime forum I wouldn't have done a random choice though. I did not just chose bad threads contrary to what everyone will think. Basically I just chose some threads that could do with being lightened up a bit.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!
Do you mean that if you got the anime forum you wouldn't have picked Kora because it might actually fit in there so there are better choices, or do you mean you would have picked it because its guaranteed comedy watching people get mad about their not-anime being in the anime forum?

EvilTobaccoExec fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Dec 11, 2013

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Postal Parcel posted:

Work at a magazine, video store, pizza place or, in rare cases, clothing store.
Truly, the 90s were a time of enlightenment.

Along those lines, I'm sort of half tempted to try to find and watch the Clerks live-action TV pilots that ABC did back in the 90s.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdvNKT61nuM

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What's the thread I can't find it.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

zoux posted:

What's the thread I can't find it.

He sent over the Korra thread.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

Do you mean that if you got the anime forum you wouldn't have picked Kora because it might actually fit in there so there are better choices, or do you mean you would have picked it because its guaranteed comedy watching people get mad about their not-anime being in the anime forum?

The latter.

Also if I had gotten BSS I probably would have shipped over Arrow. That would have been fun. Especially on mid-season finale day.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

DivisionPost posted:

He sent over the Korra thread.

Oh we haven't gotten ours yet I see.

Deadpool posted:

The latter.

Also if I had gotten BSS I probably would have shipped over Arrow. That would have been fun. Especially on mid-season finale day.

What do the nerds over there think of Arrow?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

JediTalentAgent posted:

Along those lines, I'm sort of half tempted to try to find and watch the Clerks live-action TV pilots that ABC did back in the 90s.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdvNKT61nuM

:stare: Is that Keri Russel? :stare:

And why is the music so creepy

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

zoux posted:

We think it's great.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

zoux posted:

They like it I think. But it would have been amusing given all the clamor over the comic talk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Deadpool posted:

The latter.
I think you dodged a bullet there because I don't think they would have cared. Other than there probably being a large crossover with people who already hated Korra anyway.

• Locked thread