Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009

jBrereton posted:

I played Dominions 3 SP for literally years. It's alright if you want to learn your way around all of the factions.

Then when Dom 4 came, I felt more at ease with going MP (which is only slightly a PITA to set up, but the main thing is that it's typically a submit-a-turn-a-day type affair rather than being faster pace), and hey, that's a thing I'm doing.

It has a fairly bad UI, but it's not like a super groggy game with innumerable default Windows menus of poo poo.

Games can still go pretty quick, in flute for example when it turned last every single person bar 1 had their turn in within the hour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Yeah but there was nothing stopping them taking up the full day, no?

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

jBrereton posted:

Yeah but there was nothing stopping them taking up the full day, no?

If you repeatedly wait until the timer is almost up people start to get really annoyed at you, and often will make an effort to take you out first to speed the game up.

NiknudStunod
May 2, 2009
I have read up a bit on dom 4 and am itching to get into a mp game now. Are thugs and bless armies still a thing? I saw that the natures regen was moved to n9 so my early game summon giant toads as ctis may not be as effective. Can I still Summon some bad rear end commander gear him out in weapons and armor and watch him stomp all over the 100 wolf archers the ai sends at him? How close to dom 3 does dom 4 play?

NiknudStunod fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Dec 7, 2013

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

NiknudStunod posted:

I have read up a bit on dom 4 and am itching to get into a mp game now. Are thugs and bless armies still a thing? I saw that the natures regen was moved to n9 so my early game summon giant toads as ctis may not be as effective. Can I still Summon some bad rear end commander gear him out in weapons and armor and watch him stomp all over the 100 wolf archers the ai sends at him? How close to dom 3 does dom 4 play.

Increased research costs made some pretty big changes the game's balance. Now that battlemagic takes longer to research, blesses are so much stronger than before that not taking one would be a risky gambit (in MP, at least). Thugs also have a longer window of viability once you get to them, since most SCs might as well be unreachable by any nation that doesn't have a good research engine (like Arco or Bogarus do).

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
I wish I was that lucky with my mage randoms! Especially on the STR ones nowadays, nothing like waiting two turns to get a redundant/useless nobody.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Toad spit seems to be affected by F9 weirdly enough.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

AfroSquirrel posted:

Increased research costs made some pretty big changes the game's balance. Now that battlemagic takes longer to research, blesses are so much stronger than before that not taking one would be a risky gambit (in MP, at least).

This is not true. What it does mean, however, is that you have to plan for dealing with blesses from nations that wouldn't have done it before.

Smerdyakov
Jul 8, 2008

AfroSquirrel posted:

Increased research costs made some pretty big changes the game's balance. Now that battlemagic takes longer to research, blesses are so much stronger than before that not taking one would be a risky gambit (in MP, at least). Thugs also have a longer window of viability once you get to them, since most SCs might as well be unreachable by any nation that doesn't have a good research engine (like Arco or Bogarus do).

You don't necessarily have to take a bless, but your scales/pretender should be picked with the idea of being able to handle enemy armies with up to a tribless in the early game. Human players are more aggressive and will take bigger blesses than the AI, but you can still usually get to level 3 in one thing, and there are good counters in every school.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Smerdyakov posted:

You don't necessarily have to take a bless, but your scales/pretender should be picked with the idea of being able to handle enemy armies with up to a tribless in the early game. Human players are more aggressive and will take bigger blesses than the AI, but you can still usually get to level 3 in one thing, and there are good counters in every school.

And if you are playing a nation who can't survive a sacred rush, of which there are a few, you should be leveraging diplomacy to the max. But yeah, sometimes you get attacked in Y1 by tribless jags or something else with a strong bless and them's the breaks. Just do what you can to hurt them as much as possible and move on to the next game.

If it's coming later in Y2 and you are still getting badly stomped, then you need to review your early game strategy. Most nations can at least do something by then and you should have some kind of goal that you are shooting for that can at least hurt your attacker. But really if you are playing a nation that is generally vulnerable early on, DIPLOMACY. Either convince your potential attacker to go hit someone else or join a coalition against the threat. If Mictlan is hitting you with tribless sacreds you should be screaming for help and try to draw in other nations to hit him while he's busy. It shouldn't be terribly hard to accomplish since Mictlan is an obvious threat and their other neighbors should be willing to do something about it (unless Mictlan got a NAP first, in which case you deserve to lose to both their superior military and diplomacy).

Nuclearmonkee fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Dec 8, 2013

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

I just got this game as a gift and have little to no Doms experience apart from looking at some LP's. What's the most newbie friendly race/pretender dealy?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

ZeroCount posted:

I just got this game as a gift and have little to no Doms experience apart from looking at some LP's. What's the most newbie friendly race/pretender dealy?

The one that sounds the coolest. No matter what you pick you're gonna be drinking from the firehose the whole time so you might as well pick someone cool. Losing in an entertaining way will keep you in it more than winning in a dull one and you're probably not going to win anyway.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

When signing up for the new dom 4 game service, what the heck is this desura profile malarky it wants off me?

Edit: As an aside can someone remind me of the way to make desktop links that take you straight to specific multiplayer games?

Comrade Question
Mar 30, 2011

"I'd say it's nothing personal, but corporations are people, too."
That said, LA Midgard is pretty straightforward and a good choice if you want to learn the basics. Take Order 3 and Growth 3 for high income and recruit Skinshifters, a great unit that doesn't cost many ressources. For research, look through the different magic schools (F5) and see what seems appropriate for your mages' paths (mostly air I think) and your gem income.

Hanging out in IRC is recommended.

VV Spoilers! :v: VV

Comrade Question fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Dec 8, 2013

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Midgard's first research priority: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2AC41dglnM

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Mr Teatime posted:

When signing up for the new dom 4 game service, what the heck is this desura profile malarky it wants off me?
Before it was on Steam, the main service people used to buy and play it was Desura.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Oh god I ran a super strong Dominion pretender as the skeleton empire in the middle era. There are undead everywhere, my lands are spontaniously generating Tomb Lords, ghouls, soulless and longdead in foot and horse forms. Constantly.

Every time I end turn I pick up another two or three Tomb Lords O_o

If I had even the faintest idea what I was doing this might even have been a good idea.

Fleur Bleu
Nov 26, 2006

by Ralp

Mr Teatime posted:

Edit: As an aside can someone remind me of the way to make desktop links that take you straight to specific multiplayer games?

In the target field of the shortcut tab of properties: "C:\Program Files (x86)\dominions4\Dominions4.exe" -C --ipadr proactiveapathy.com --port 9633 --nocredits

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

Neruz posted:

Oh god I ran a super strong Dominion pretender as the skeleton empire in the middle era. There are undead everywhere, my lands are spontaniously generating Tomb Lords, ghouls, soulless and longdead in foot and horse forms. Constantly.

Every time I end turn I pick up another two or three Tomb Lords O_o

If I had even the faintest idea what I was doing this might even have been a good idea.

Oh god, don't try to do MA Ermor for your first multiplayer game. Eventually the micromanagement of just organizing your endless swarms of undead gets to be loving INSANE.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

GenericOverusedName posted:

Oh god, don't try to do MA Ermor for your first multiplayer game. Eventually the micromanagement of just organizing your endless swarms of undead gets to be loving INSANE.

It's single player but yes it's gotten a little bit out of control; I'm spontaniously generating like three armies per turn and it keeps going up. I could totally see how if used correctly that unending tide of undead could be quite potent.

I think I may stick with the Pale Ones in the future >.>

Diabl0658
Dec 10, 2008

These are the games we play.

All hail the new overlords of the world, MA Pagartha.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Diabl0658 posted:

I am glad my going ai has lead to this hilarity.

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009

Diabl0658 posted:

Flute is the most amazing game.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Incidently i've twerked the build I used and while my golden member is more flaccid to begin with it should eventually get ROCK HARD.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Diabl0658 posted:

whatm akes this happen

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
I have a feeling any capital province Agartha takes over might have a Roots of the Earth spawn in it.

Das_Ubermike
Sep 2, 2011

www.oldmanmurray.com
So I finally picked this game up during the Gamers Gate sale after a long time spent reading and enjoying the various LPs that have been done over the years. I followed the OP's advice and began my first game with MA Jotunheim on a 15 province map. Unfortunately the random opponent draw was Atlantis which has made for an interesting game to say the least. So I had a few questions that I didn't really see the answer to in the manual that i'm hoping someone here can help me with.

Blesses - How often do I need to cast this in a battle? Is it a blanket one-and-done cast and all of my Blessed units are covered until the end of the battle, or do I need to keep casting it to make sure the effects don't go away?

Magic Sites - If I don't turn up any sites does that mean that there are none in the province, or just that my currently searching mage (usually Gygja's) is too crappy to find one at their current level?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Once Bless is cast, it 'sticks' for the whole battle on the units it 'hits' - you can tell if it's worked on a unit because the candle on their unit tab goes aflame. Divine Blessing from a Holy-3 mage hits everything; if your God is in the battle, everything is automatically blessed.

Not finding magic sites means there are none there that you've found with the current paths.

If a Gygja doesn't find any, another one with different paths might (but it isn't terribly likely, since there's often a lot of overlap).

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

jBrereton posted:

I have a feeling any capital province Agartha takes over might have a Roots of the Earth spawn in it.

And a Chamber of the Seal\Broken Seal apparently; those two are only supposed to exist in the Agartha cap.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Did that game start before the Patch? That might have something to do with it, or maybe it's just UW capitals? You would think somebody would have noticed this before.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Agartha is sieging Pelagia's capitol, maybe that makes the sites spawn there? Since he sort of ”owns” the province.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
Given how it is fairly awkward to save this game and restore to check things out (not difficult, mind you)...

Since the main dom3 wiki has been inaccessible, is there anywhere I can check out a list of most afflictions [edit: and spell status effects and the like] and their effects ahead of time? I can't find it in the Dom3 or 4 manual (or the spreadsheet Dom4 DB), the alternative being just keeping a permanent 'debug' save on hand.

Edit: and debug sensei is powerful enough to just ignore your scripting attempts to check out the spell.

LordSloth fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Dec 11, 2013

wshngmchn
Jul 14, 2013

wrath pride ignorance

Das_Ubermike posted:

Magic Sites - If I don't turn up any sites does that mean that there are none in the province, or just that my currently searching mage (usually Gygja's) is too crappy to find one at their current level?

Level 4 is the highest level a site can require, so a mage with level 4 in a particular path will find all sites of that path in a province. A mage with level 3 can find level 1-3 but not level 4, etc.

Example: A mage with level 4 water and level 2 air will find all water sites, but only level 1 and 2 air sites.

At least that's how the manual explains it.

wshngmchn fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Dec 11, 2013

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
That is correct. A level 4 air/1 nature will find all air sites and level 1 nature sites, for example. And they stay found for whomever controls the province. So if Caelum loses the above province to Arco, then Arco now has the sites above giving them income.

There are also random events that can add and subtract sites as well, IIRC.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Slaan posted:

There are also random events that can add and subtract sites as well, IIRC.

There are also random events that occasionally hint at or outright reveal the existance of an undiscovered site. I've had an earth gem site revealed by a random event and had a fire + earth gem site hinted at by another one.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
A random event created a 3-fire gem site in my capital. Is that kind of thing supposed to happen in Dominions 4? Are there any limits to the number of new gem sites that can appear in your capital?

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
I don't think there's any particular restriction on where the random event +gem sites can spawn, so if you got lucky you could probably end up with a bunch of sites.

Azram Legion
Jan 23, 2005

Drunken Poet Glory
Pangea is so fun to play when casting Transformation turns into Bizzaro Niefel Jarl roulette:

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
What the crap has even happened there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Neruz posted:

What the crap has even happened there.

The pan turned into an eagle, the only issue is the eagle is the transformed shape of a pimp rear end giant, so it became a pimp rear end giant, with the wrong paths but a pimp rear end giant none the less.

• Locked thread