Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagaan. Watch the series and enjoy 12-odd hours of action-driven insanity that escalates far beyond what you'd think possible. And then keeps going :allears:.

I'm about 2/3rds of the way through this now. It's already one of my favourite things ever and I fear no anime I can pick will match it. Are there any similar shows?

Also my friend is really enthusiastic about something called Magi: labyrinth of magic. Anyone know if this is worth watching at all?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Brasseye posted:

I'm about 2/3rds of the way through this now. It's already one of my favourite things ever and I fear no anime I can pick will match it. Are there any similar shows?

It would help if you could describe what you like about it.

The easiest answer is just pick something else Hiroyuki Imaishi directed and watch that.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
I've never seen a mech anime before, but I thought the robots were really imaginative and well animated in Gurren Lagann. I guess that was the main factor for me but I also liked all the main characters a lot.

Thanks, as for Hiroyuki Imaishi I'll check out either Kill La Kill or Evangelion once I finish the series.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Brasseye posted:

Thanks, as for Hiroyuki Imaishi I'll check out either Kill La Kill or Evangelion once I finish the series.

Oh man, you haven't seen either yet?

Evangelion isn't really his project, but it is a major influence on every robot show made since (regardless of whether they're imitating it or violently rejecting it) and a hell of a ride in its own right. Be sure to post reactions in the Eva thread.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Jabarto posted:

I've watched a little anime over the years, but I'm just now starting to really get into it, so I thought I'd ask for some recommendations.

Mostly I'm interested in comedies, and Cromartie High School is my favorite so far. The comedy section on ADTRWiki mentioned Astro Fighter Sunred, which looks really good, and Azumanga Daioh, which I don't think I can get into. Beyond that, Panty and Stocking and The Devil is a Part-Timer! were great, especially the latter. Anything involving parody or absurd humor is a big hit with me, so is there anything else that might fit in with what I listed here?
Detroit Metal City is a good comedy anime.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Adding to the comedies list, Working! and its spiritual successor Servant x Service are two of m y favorite comedies (though Working's protagonist can be a bit off-putting). Silver Spoon is another great comedy by the same studio (original manga by the Fullmetal Alchemist author).

I'll also throw out Full Metal Panic: Fumoffu?, though I would recommend watching a few episodes of the hilariously bad Full Metal Panic beforehand.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Jabarto posted:

I've watched a little anime over the years, but I'm just now starting to really get into it, so I thought I'd ask for some recommendations.

Mostly I'm interested in comedies, and Cromartie High School is my favorite so far. The comedy section on ADTRWiki mentioned Astro Fighter Sunred, which looks really good, and Azumanga Daioh, which I don't think I can get into. Beyond that, Panty and Stocking and The Devil is a Part-Timer! were great, especially the latter. Anything involving parody or absurd humor is a big hit with me, so is there anything else that might fit in with what I listed here?

Seconding the recommendation for Invasion: Squid Girl.
http://adtrwiki.com/index.php?title=Shinryaku!_Ika_Musume

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Brasseye posted:

Watch the movie Redline. Get the Blu-Ray, because it's the only way to do the movie justice. Dead Leaves is also 40 minutes of amazing non-stop action.

edit: Just saw the original post saying you've seen it :v:.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Dec 3, 2013

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I appreciate all the suggestions, i will check them out :)

Silver2195 posted:

I sense a contradiction here. :v:

Very true, but in this case i thought the overall story made up for some of the things i disliked, and it was probably the series i liked the least of the ones mentioned. But i thought it better to list it to help show what i liked.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Oasx posted:

Very true, but in this case i thought the overall story made up for some of the things i disliked, and it was probably the series i liked the least of the ones mentioned. But i thought it better to list it to help show what i liked.

Really? I thought the story fell apart. Urobuchi definitely gave us a fantastic setup episode, but then the other writers took over and everything else went down hill. It's a miracle Urobuchi was able to write a satisfactory final episode with the mess that was left.

It's one of those things I wish would get a second wind in the form of a full remake.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Oasx posted:

If you want to see works from Gen Urobuchi (the lead writer for Gargantia) where he had more involvement with writing the scripts and had less interference from production committees I'd recommend Madoka Magica (don't be put off by the character designs, they're there to lure you into a false sense of security) and Psycho-Pass (cop drama with a cyberpunk flavor). Fate/Zero is an adaptation of one of his novels that is also quite well done, it's a fun seven way battle with wizards and legendary heroes.

Kaleid Stardust
Oct 27, 2013

by toby

ViggyNash posted:

Really? I thought the story fell apart. Urobuchi definitely gave us a fantastic setup episode, but then the other writers took over and everything else went down hill. It's a miracle Urobuchi was able to write a satisfactory final episode with the mess that was left.

It's one of those things I wish would get a second wind in the form of a full remake.

Isn't there a second season planned? Though I don't know how much writing Urobuchi would be doing for it.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I don't think anything of the sort's been mentioned, and I don't know how well it did overall. It was definitely decently popular, so a second season isn't entirely out of the question.

There were 3 ova episodes though. I haven't watched them, and I have no idea what they're about specifically.

As for Urobuchi writing it... I don't know what he has planned after that CG movie he's doing with Toei.

e: VV Oh, right. Forgot about that.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

There's a second season of Psycho-Pass coming up, he's probably working on that.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

There's a second season of Psycho-Pass coming up, he's probably working on that.

Well, he's working on Kamen Rider Gaim right now (which is going pretty strong after eight episodes so far). Other than that, I don't think there's been any announcements about any projects he's confirmed to be on at the moment other than that Toei CGI movie.

Kaleid Stardust
Oct 27, 2013

by toby

ViggyNash posted:

I don't think anything of the sort's been mentioned, and I don't know how well it did overall. It was definitely decently popular, so a second season isn't entirely out of the question.

Oh, it is indeed a thing. They confirmed it a commercial after Tokyo MX aired it a second time, and also on the anime's Twitter account

linall
Feb 1, 2007

Jabarto posted:

The dub of Nerima Daikon Brothers might well have been made for you. It's directed by Shinichi Watanabe, so it's goofy as gently caress right off the bat. The whole thing is a parody of Blue Brothers crossed with Field of Dreams. For bonus points, the dub often goes off and completely ignores the actual dialogue, like with the ending theme. Unfortunately it's only 12 episodes long.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I recently watched One Outs, Kaiji and I'm reading Liar Game right now. Is there any more mind gamey stuff like this out there? (I already read Death Note a few years ago and I liked it a lot)

I only watched the first season of Kaiji but I think I might skip the second unless it fixes the pacing. It's kind of a shame because the gambles themselves were actually pretty cool but everything just took forever

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Help Im Alive posted:

I recently watched One Outs, Kaiji and I'm reading Liar Game right now. Is there any more mind gamey stuff like this out there? (I already read Death Note a few years ago and I liked it a lot)

I only watched the first season of Kaiji but I think I might skip the second unless it fixes the pacing. It's kind of a shame because the gambles themselves were actually pretty cool but everything just took forever

The second season is even worse about the pacing in Kaiji sadly. I'm talking like 12 episodes on a single game of Pachinko bad. It was pretty infuriating being blueballed every week when it was airing.

For something better paced I'd recommend Gambing Emperor Zero, made by the same guy and it's much more better paced overall.

Although it lacks the impending despair that Kaiji has since Zero is kind of a mary sue, but the games are still interesting and it can get pretty tense at certain points.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Help Im Alive posted:

Is there any more mind gamey stuff like this out there?

I'd say Kurosagi: The Black Swindler's the kind of thing you're looking for. Pretty good read, though I can't speak for the live action adaptation overall; what I saw of it was pretty decent, though.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I'm looking for a show where a character goes through enormous effort and sacrifice to bring some sort of grand plan together, culminating in one moment where they know they've won but nobody else has realized it yet. Tonally I'm thinking less Death Note or Code Geass and more Count of Monte Cristo or Breaking Bad. It could be for revenge, for profit, for good reasons or bad ones, it could be a real triumph or a pyrrhic victory, I don't care as long as it has that general structure.

And to head off the obvious, yeah, I've seen Gankutsuou.

I think this applies pretty well to the main character in Gun X Sword. Darker than Black achieves it pretty well sometimes too, although the story arcs there are mostly contained to two episodes each.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Ibram Gaunt posted:

The second season is even worse about the pacing in Kaiji sadly. I'm talking like 12 episodes on a single game of Pachinko bad. It was pretty infuriating being blueballed every week when it was airing.

For something better paced I'd recommend Gambing Emperor Zero, made by the same guy and it's much more better paced overall.

Although it lacks the impending despair that Kaiji has since Zero is kind of a mary sue, but the games are still interesting and it can get pretty tense at certain points.

Dragonatrix posted:

I'd say Kurosagi: The Black Swindler's the kind of thing you're looking for. Pretty good read, though I can't speak for the live action adaptation overall; what I saw of it was pretty decent, though.

I read up a little on these and they both sound pretty neat, thanks. I'll have to check those out next. Still got a lot of Liar Game to get through though...

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Hey, Goons. I wanna get my cousin an anime for Xmas, but need a recommendation (I'm more of a sci-fi comic book guy). She's really into things like Zelda and Shadow of Colossus, so I was wondering if there is a movie or a short-ish series out there in that vein of adventure and world building.

I got her some Miyazaki movies that she enjoyed and I know she's seen FMA: Brotherhood, but I don't know much of her viewing habits beyond that.

She's 17, but her 14 year old sister will probably also watch whatever, so I don't want anything too graphic or explicit (I'm comfort lending them Cowboy Bebop) . And I'd rather get her something short instead of going down the rabbit hole of a 100+ episode series. Non-stereotype female characters are a plus.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
I dislike manga and anime to a great degree, but I just read Azumanga Daioh and Yotsuba and those were just absolutely wonderful. Anything similiar out there? Nothing supernatural or high adventure, just fun stuff.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Uthor posted:

Hey, Goons. I wanna get my cousin an anime for Xmas, but need a recommendation (I'm more of a sci-fi comic book guy). She's really into things like Zelda and Shadow of Colossus, so I was wondering if there is a movie or a short-ish series out there in that vein of adventure and world building.
Kino's Journey and Mushishi are probably the closest I can think of to the tone of Shadow of the Colossus.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Paracelsus posted:

Kino's Journey and Mushishi are probably the closest I can think of to the tone of Shadow of the Colossus.

Worth noting that Mushishi is less adventure and more like a bunch of small mysteries. But it's gorgeous on multiple levels and has some really interesting and bizarre fantasy to it, so if she doesn't mind things being pretty low-key, it's still a good recommendation.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome

Uthor posted:

She's really into things like Zelda and Shadow of Colossus. She's 17, but her 14 year old sister will probably also watch whatever, so I don't want anything too graphic or explicit (I'm comfort lending them Cowboy Bebop) . And I'd rather get her something short instead of going down the rabbit hole of a 100+ episode series. Non-stereotype female characters are a plus.

I think Vision of Escaflowne would be a good choice if they can deal with older cel animation.

Seirei no Moribito is also a good fantasy anime with a strong female lead.

Spice and Wolf might go over the younger one's head, but could also work.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

ManOfTheYear posted:

I dislike manga and anime to a great degree, but I just read Azumanga Daioh and Yotsuba and those were just absolutely wonderful. Anything similiar out there? Nothing supernatural or high adventure, just fun stuff.

Watch/Read Hidamari Sketch because it's amazing.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Cool, thanks guys. I'll take a look and see what jumps out at me the most.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

ManOfTheYear posted:

Non Non Biyori is airing currently and it definitely has some things in common with Yotsuba. Not much of its manga is translated though, just shy of 20 chapters.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

The Black Stones posted:

Watch/Read Hidamari Sketch because it's amazing.
Absolutely seconded.

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

If you stay here too long, you'll end up frying your brain. Yes, you will. No, you will...not. Yesno, you will won't.

ManOfTheYear posted:

Azumanga is the most anime thing and if you like it, you don't actually hate anime or manga. I love Hidamari Sketch but I wouldn't recommend it to someone who 'dislikes' anime -- your mileage may vary.

I would recommend Nichijou. If you want more comedy, Cromartie High School or Daily Lives of High School Boys.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

ManOfTheYear posted:

I dislike manga and anime to a great degree, but I just read Azumanga Daioh and Yotsuba and those were just absolutely wonderful. Anything similar out there? Nothing supernatural or high adventure, just fun stuff.
The best and most direct clone's of Yotsuba are Non Non Biyori(the anime is currently running) and Ryushika Ryushika(only a manga exists).
If you want mostly normal people living their lives with some actual plot developing read/watch Silver Spoon.

If you like relaxing shows where nothing happens, there are also Aria, K-On and Ichigo Marshmallow.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Uthor posted:

Maybe Katanagatari? It's got a pretty game-like narrative structure, it's absolutely gorgeous, and it's only 12 episodes long (although I think they're 30 minutes each since it was a monthly OVA rather than a weekly show).

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Uthor posted:

I got her some Miyazaki movies that she enjoyed and I know she's seen FMA: Brotherhood, but I don't know much of her viewing habits beyond that.

She's 17, but her 14 year old sister will probably also watch whatever, so I don't want anything too graphic or explicit (I'm comfort lending them Cowboy Bebop) . And I'd rather get her something short instead of going down the rabbit hole of a 100+ episode series. Non-stereotype female characters are a plus.

Get her Mushishi. It's 24 episodes of mostly stand-alone stories (save for the main character, who's a wanderer, and maybe two or three occasionally recurring characters) and each is like a short Ghibli film in of itself.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Maybe Katanagatari? It's got a pretty game-like narrative structure, it's absolutely gorgeous, and it's only 12 episodes long (although I think they're 30 minutes each since it was a monthly OVA rather than a weekly show).

They're 50 minutes long if I remember correctly.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Yo: the next ADTRW Simulwatchathon is up. We're watching two very atypical TV shows that are very critically acclaimed: Tatami Galaxy and Serial Experiments Lain. You should join us! It'll be fun.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Zorak posted:

Yo: the next ADTRW Simulwatchathon is up. We're watching two very atypical TV shows that are very critically acclaimed: Tatami Galaxy and Serial Experiments Lain. You should join us! It'll be fun.
Yessss. I won't be able to simulwatch due to the time difference, but those are fantastic choices.

coathat
May 21, 2007

ManOfTheYear posted:

Try Yokohama Shopping Trip. http://www.batoto.net/comic/_/comics/yokohama-kaidashi-kikou-r1110

The Walking Man is also spectacular.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

As mentioned, it's 50 minutes, but I'll second it. It's very faithful to its monster of the week structure and the story itself reads like a folk tale, but with a few modern twists. Because it's 50 minute episodes that adapt an LN, it does get exposition heavy, but it's a joy to watch if nothing more than to experience the unique art style.

• Locked thread