Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

ANAmal.net posted:

I played a couple of games against TheChirugeon's Night Lords (they own, btw) over Thanksgiving weekend, and I definitely got rocked way harder when I rolled with 20 Terminators than I did running six tactical squads (disclaimer: I am bad at games). Terminators are amazing model-for-model, but the sheer volume of fire will cause problems (like, it's easily possible to build guard lists that have more lascannons than pure Deathwing does models, which is bad news bears for you, even at BS3). Even against regular bolters or whatever, every 1 you roll is a 50-point loss, and deepstriking gets absurdly dangerous if you have a decent amount of terrain. In the future, I'll probably run one squad of Deathwing with Belial attached, drop them in on turn 2, and hope to cause some trouble before they get owned, but I wouldn't do more than that. It's just too many points for not enough mans.

I mean, my first serious attempt at a 40k army was buying 2500 points of Deathwing off of SA Mart, and I still have a soft spot for that kind of list (also I have something like 80 Terminators right now), but I gotta say, the game is a lot more forgiving when you run more mans instead of better mans. You end up surrounded and outgunned, and it's just an uphill fight for you all the way.

It makes me kind of sad that you finally learned about massed effects. That second game was way closer and I still can't believe I was able to pull out the 'W' given the rolls I had.

I feel like the larger issue with terminators is that they occupy this weird hybrid assault role. Their shooting isn't quite good enough for their cost and close combat isn't quite good enough in 6E. So you have this expensive, somewhat durable troops who are decent at a few things but not amazing with a somewhat short range and can't be transported in large numbers. Also deep striking them seems to be pretty terrible most of the time. I love my terminators but I'm still working out how to use them correctly and I think that a terminator army just doesn't have enough shots/wounds.

That tac squad owns. Well done!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Mango Polo posted:

Guess the cover art for the codex will feature a warrior. With a bitchin' explosion behind him.

I've always wondered why Warriors need such huge tongues. Fair enough give them loads of sharp teeth for chomping on dudes, but I can't imagine what the comically large mouth organ is for.

Perhaps in the new codex Tyranid Warriors will have Hatred: Lollipops

TheChirurgeon posted:

I feel like the larger issue with terminators is that they occupy this weird hybrid assault role. Their shooting isn't quite good enough for their cost and close combat isn't quite good enough in 6E. So you have this expensive, somewhat durable troops who are decent at a few things but not amazing with a somewhat short range and can't be transported in large numbers. Also deep striking them seems to be pretty terrible most of the time. I love my terminators but I'm still working out how to use them correctly and I think that a terminator army just doesn't have enough shots/wounds.

Terminators really suffer from the change in armour saves from 2E to 3E. They used to be really scary with a 2D6 saving throw, absorbing tons of small arms fire with ease. Now that 1 in every 6 wounds gets through you just need to roll a ton more dice rather than using heavier weaponry.

xtothez fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Dec 11, 2013

Tequila Ranger
Sep 11, 2004

host after host after host ...

xtothez posted:

I've always wondered why Warriors need such huge tongues. Fair enough give them loads of sharp teeth for chomping Perhaps in the new codex Tyranid Warriors will have Hatred: Lollipops

How many licks does it take to get the the center of a tootsie pop The Imperium of Man?

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

xtothez posted:

I've always wondered why Warriors need such huge tongues. Fair enough give them loads of sharp teeth for chomping on dudes, but I can't imagine what the comically large mouth organ is for.

Perhaps in the new codex Tyranid Warriors will have Hatred: Lollipops

It works for Venom! Who usually gets punched in the face with results you might expect...
Cool tyranids don't look at explosions.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
If you think warriors are bad, check out the bloodletter models. GW just has a thing for long tongues. :shrug:

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

xtothez posted:

So that they can lick the sweat off their victims for the precious minerals the Tyranids require while choking/slicing/rending it.

Two Feet From Bread
Apr 20, 2009

I'm. A. Fucking. Nazi.

please punch me in the face
i love it
give it to me daddy
College Slice

adamantium|wang posted:

Better pic of the Haruspex:

It better be able to eat people like the old Red Terror could.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

adamantium|wang posted:

Better pic of the Haruspex:

I'm actually kind of disappointed by this model, considering Games Workshop already did the whole "mouth tendrils everywhere" thing with the Warriors of Chaos Vortex Beast and honestly I think they did it better the first time. The giant lumps make it look like it's awkwardly forcing it's fleshy insides out to consume something sea cucumber-style instead of plucking choice bits up to consume with tendrils like the Lictors, Malanthropes, and other tentacle-monsters we already have.

I dunno, maybe the look will grow on me, but the Haruspex/Exocrine model in general doesn't thrill me at the moment.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Prolapsifex.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
From the dude who posted the WD pics:

quote:

Anyway, some tidbits from the batrep. Am I going to be slammed for posting points? Maybe, I'll remove them if I get asked.

Exocrine is 170 points
Exocrine firing modes are large blast or 6 S7 AP2 shots.
Crone is 155 points.
Harpy is 135 with the TL stranglers, 25 pts cheaper.
Venomthropes are 45, 10 pts cheaper.
Trygon Prime is 230, 10 pts cheaper.
Fex and Tfex I already mentioned, but due to biomorphs it's only an estimation.

Flyrant with double TL devs, wings and 2 powers is 230 pts. 30 pts cheaper than the same build right now.

Swarmlord is 285, 5 pts more. The Swarmlord is ML3.
Tervigon with crushing claw is 210 (!) and one power, 25 pts more than current. It's possible you need to buy the first mastery level for them now.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
On the other hand, just about every other Tyranid MC has dropped in points.

Fexes are about 100-120 points each, depending on biomorph costs.
Tyrannofexes with the Rupture Cannon are 205. Big drop.
Trygon Primes are 230, so a 10 point drop.
Hive Tyrants with double devourers and wings are 30 points cheaper then the current equivalent.
Harpies are 135 instead of 160.

It only seems like the Trigon jumped up to 210 (with crushing claws and 2 power) and the Swarmlord got bumped by five points to 285.

Small to solid point drops throughout the army, that should really help cram all the needed units in it.
And the Exocrine is basically a weaker/shootier Tyrannofex, firing either a large blast or 6 S7 AP2 shots.

e: ^^^^ You stealing mah posts!

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord
Holy poo poo, the Tyranid have an AP2 gun. Someone at the office forgot the golden rule: Never give Tyranids a good gun.

Obviously this will be FAQ'd to AP5 on release day. :suicide:

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
^^^^ Or the Exocrene will be BS2.

Mango Polo posted:

Guess the cover art for the codex will feature a warrior. With a bitchin' explosion behind him.

That's the krak missile that just ID'd him.

Two Feet From Bread
Apr 20, 2009

I'm. A. Fucking. Nazi.

please punch me in the face
i love it
give it to me daddy
College Slice

Mango Polo posted:

What is that big planet thing in the background? Does this mean that the Warrior is in space?

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

Mango Polo posted:

Unless they get 3+ armor as well, that's still way overpriced. When you consider that most things firing a quad gun will flat out kill them most of the time. Being wounded on 2s and having your armor bypassed by the standard S7 AP4 skyfire shot is completely terrible for anything that flies.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Two Feet From Bread posted:

What is that big planet thing in the background? Does this mean that the Warrior is in space?

It looks like a moon being omnomnom'ed with huge capillary towers.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Mango Polo posted:

Zhent
Oct 18, 2011

The difference between gods and daemons largely depends upon where one is standing at the time.
These new nids look like a lot of fun to model / paint, hopefully they are equally fun to play. Aside from a staggering backload of models that are not painted, I've been on the fence about either a Tau or Nid army for quite a while. I put that decision off by simply buying more marines, but it's almost time to make a decision, i think.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Post 9-11 User posted:

:zoid: Panicking or hand-wringing over hypothetical, imagined versions of a ruleset for a spaceman game is dumb. :zoid:

I don't see it as being much different than sports fans endlessly speculating about what players might get drafted to their team, or which coaches might get fired and how the possible future roster might perform next season. Yes it's silly, but idle speculation makes for interesting chatter. It's either that or reminiscing about a team's glory days or how the league officials are ruining the sport. Oh wait, Hams do that too when they long for second edition minis and rules and then bitch about GW destroying their beloved game.

Really you can't escape this kind of talk, it just changes it's outward appearance depending on the genre, be it politics, videogames, TV shows, whatever...

Having ventured to some of the darker corners of the internet please let me say; gently caress you and your rosebud :barf:

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Dec 11, 2013

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

TheChirurgeon posted:

It makes me kind of sad that you finally learned about massed effects. That second game was way closer and I still can't believe I was able to pull out the 'W' given the rolls I had.

That tac squad owns. Well done!

Yeah, I mean I understand the reasoning behind volume of fire and why it's the way to go given how the game works, but actually seeing the difference on the tabletop, when my dudes didn't get owned that much harder, and I had three times as many, was pretty dramatic. I'm working on a couple of Rhinos now, I think the extra mobility and ability to block traffic like a shithead ( :arghfist: ) will help.

I'll have to post the pictures from those games.

Terminator shooting isn't awful or anything, but it's mostly just bolter shots, and point-for-point they get fewer shots than tacticals (way fewer, once you get inside rapid-fire range). As much as assault cannons and two-shot cyclones own, you end up paying 200+ points for one, which is a lot of points to spend on five wounds. Assault terminators wreck poo poo, but I've never managed to get them into combat the way I want. It seems like you have to either run them in a Land Raider and try not to get stuck in terrain, or deep strike and hope you don't mishap or get shot off the table before you can charge, or just hope your opponent wants to rumble and comes your way.

I think the problem with them is just that there are only so many variations in armor save when all you use is a D6. Not that I'm saying 40k needs more kinds of dice, I like that they just use the one shape, but it means you have to find other ways to make dudes hard to kill. Grey Knight Paladins get two wounds, Eldar Ghost Robots get absurd toughness, that kind of thing. Not saying Terminators necessarily need to be fixed, they aren't horribly gimped, just not good enough to run an entire army of. T5 and a 2+ might work, but I suspect that's me overcorrecting based on the fact that I'm bad at the game and need overpowered mans to win.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

Indolent Bastard posted:

Having ventured to some of the darker corners of the internet please let me say; gently caress you and your rosebud :barf:

Goatife.cx :v:

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Sup first codex entry.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Mango Polo posted:

On the other hand, just about every other Tyranid MC has dropped in points.

Fexes are about 100-120 points each, depending on biomorph costs.
Tyrannofexes with the Rupture Cannon are 205. Big drop.
Trygon Primes are 230, so a 10 point drop.
Hive Tyrants with double devourers and wings are 30 points cheaper then the current equivalent.

It only seems like the Trigon jumped up to 210 (with crushing claws and 2 power) and the Swarmlord got bumped by five points to 285.

Small to solid point drops throughout the army, that should really help cram all the needed units in it.
And the Exocrine is basically a weaker/shootier Tyrannofex, firing either a large blast or 6 S7 AP2 shots.

Holy poo poo, a 100 point carnifex. :woop:
That may turn out to be too cheap, but gently caress, they've had to sit out for a long time. Tyrannofexes might actually be usable too.

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

xtothez posted:

Sup first codex entry.

Looks like you need a brood of 30 gaunts to get a Tervigon as a Troop choice now, going by what I can make out in that box in the bottom left corner.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me

xtothez posted:

Sup first codex entry.

Devilgants are 8 points now as opposed to 10. Fists and spike rifles are free again but I'll bet you a lot of the profiles have changed on the weapons, who knows, even stranglewebs might be good. If there's one thing they've been consistently getting right, it's fixing the weapons on infantry models. Vehicles are another story.

Phyresis fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Dec 11, 2013

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Phyresis posted:

Devilgaunts are 8 points now as opposed to 10. Fists and spike rifles are free again but I'll bet you a lot of the profiles have changed on the weapons, who knows, even stranglethorns might be good. If there's one thing they've been consistently getting right, it's fixing the weapons on infantry models. Vehicles are another story.

Good job Tyranids have no vehicles! :v

I'm wondering if Toxin Sacs give poison to shooting attacks again (and if Tervigons still give the ability out). That would be pretty huge on massed gaunts.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

ANAmal.net posted:

Yeah, I mean I understand the reasoning behind volume of fire and why it's the way to go given how the game works, but actually seeing the difference on the tabletop, when my dudes didn't get owned that much harder, and I had three times as many, was pretty dramatic. I'm working on a couple of Rhinos now, I think the extra mobility and ability to block traffic like a shithead ( :arghfist: ) will help.

I'll have to post the pictures from those games.

Terminator shooting isn't awful or anything, but it's mostly just bolter shots, and point-for-point they get fewer shots than tacticals (way fewer, once you get inside rapid-fire range). As much as assault cannons and two-shot cyclones own, you end up paying 200+ points for one, which is a lot of points to spend on five wounds. Assault terminators wreck poo poo, but I've never managed to get them into combat the way I want. It seems like you have to either run them in a Land Raider and try not to get stuck in terrain, or deep strike and hope you don't mishap or get shot off the table before you can charge, or just hope your opponent wants to rumble and comes your way.

I think the problem with them is just that there are only so many variations in armor save when all you use is a D6. Not that I'm saying 40k needs more kinds of dice, I like that they just use the one shape, but it means you have to find other ways to make dudes hard to kill. Grey Knight Paladins get two wounds, Eldar Ghost Robots get absurd toughness, that kind of thing. Not saying Terminators necessarily need to be fixed, they aren't horribly gimped, just not good enough to run an entire army of. T5 and a 2+ might work, but I suspect that's me overcorrecting based on the fact that I'm bad at the game and need overpowered mans to win.

I think the solution is much simpler, i.e. either reducing their points cost or letting them assault after a deep strike.

Also, I refuse to apologize for using rhinos to gum up portions of the table and block LOS.

E: Wait I've got it, just make them all A11 walkers with 1 hull point :v:

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Dec 11, 2013

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

xtothez posted:

I'm wondering if Toxin Sacs give poison to shooting attacks again (and if Tervigons still give the ability out). That would be pretty huge on massed gaunts.

It would be an answer to many troublesome units and a good design decision. My condolences :(

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Eh, Adrenal/Toxin for 2 pts each on a 4 pts model that can get quasi-free benefits if you have a MC behind them.

Still, if the devilgaunts have the same profile but dropped by 2 pts, that's really nice. Though now they are forced to walk, can't just pod them right in unless there's something cut under that picture.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

ANAmal.net posted:

Not saying Terminators necessarily need to be fixed, they aren't horribly gimped, just not good enough to run an entire army of. T5 and a 2+ might work, but I suspect that's me overcorrecting based on the fact that I'm bad at the game and need overpowered mans to win.

I dunno, I sometimes play with all-Terminator Deathwing and suffer hard from their lack of durability under small arms. Rolling as few as 20 ones during the game will cripple your army.
I'd probably be happy with T5 2+ or dropping the invuln to 6+ and giving them some special re-roll for regular armour saves (although not at 2+ of course). Terminators should be wading through bolter fire like tanks do.

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost

Phyresis posted:

I'll bet you a lot of the profiles have changed on the weapons

Oh God, the tears if they swap the fleshborer and spinefist profiles again.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

spacegoat posted:

I could see that become a running joke for every Tyranid codex to come. And I'd approve.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

spacegoat posted:

Nid players will weep bitterly. The rest of us still won't give a poo poo about which cock gun is which.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

PeterWeller posted:

Nid players will weep bitterly. The rest of us still won't give a poo poo about which cock gun is which.

The great thing about Nids is that no one else knows which gun is which. I swear I could get away with Rupture Cannons on Tyrants and Carnifexes if I wanted to.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

No one else cares. Go ahead and call it a spike-phallus or a venom-dong. It's all gross monster dicks to us.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

You seem to have something on your mind, PeterWeller.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
What is this figure?

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Looks like a very old terminator, maybe a sergeant?

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Old Space Hulk Librarian figure?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
That makes sense, it looks like a psychic hood.

Man old Space Marine stuff looks so distinct. When did the look change?

• Locked thread