Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Parachute
May 18, 2003

weekly font posted:

Man I just could NOT get into BSS. :sigh: I guess I have to give it another shot.

I watched it right after seeing Blow Out and was kind of disappointed as well. I definitely will give it another go, soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I'd heard some goon praise for Berberian Sound Studio before but never did see it myself or even know what it was about. I just read the synopsis on Wiki, and okay, yeah, now I'm pretty interested in seeing it.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Cast No Engine posted:

Since you guys were mentioning Hola Unblocker, I have a sort of technical question. Is it possible to use this with the netflix app (android) and Chromecast, or is this a desktop only type deal?

Hola unblocker is a browser plugin, so no you can't use it on your android, just on your mac or pc. Don't know about Chromecast since I don't know what a Chromecast is!

With consoles and android/iOS you need to find working DNS settings for the country whose netflix you want to access, and change the DNS settings on the device. The USA one I use on my xbox is here- http://www.netflixfixer.com/2013/06/updated-dns-codes-for-us-netflix.html

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

mysterious frankie posted:

I always knew he wasn't remotely like his character and was probably actually a nice guy, since generally people putting on comedic personas tend to go in the exact opposite direction of their actual personalities, but it was still a shock to hear him be fairly down to earth and pleasant on WTF. He's a great heel.

Yeah, "heelish" is a great way to put it, because so many people are convinced that he's just a dickhead for real when they're being worked. The best example of this is T&E Nite Live, still my favorite thing they did because it swings back and forth over that line.

John Yossarian
Aug 24, 2013
Thanks for recommending Sightseers. It was such a twisted movie, but I really liked it.

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007

I Before E posted:

The end of the third season of Louie, New Year's Day, is a masterpiece.

I liked it a lot, although his much-lauded "Late Night" trilogy is my favorite from season 3. If just to get David Lynch badgering him.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

I Before E posted:

The end of the third season of Louie, New Year's Day, is a masterpiece.

My favourite scene from that season was trying to fix the doll.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Don't be fooled though, there is a Hola Unblocker app for android but it doesn't work with the Netflix app :(

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Loved Kill List; gonna watch Sightseers now that I know it's the same director. What about Down Terrace, is that a good one?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Mescal posted:

Loved Kill List; gonna watch Sightseers now that I know it's the same director. What about Down Terrace, is that a good one?

I liked it quite a bit. Probably slightly less than either Kill List or Sightseers but it has a really neat feel to it. You can see the formation of that improvisational style he uses and the musical sequences are actually really cool and well implemented.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
Recently I finished a research paper on the Greek tragedy Ajax. Since then I've been looking for a good film that really encapsulates the kind of extreme iconoclastic behavior and martyrdom that Ajax displays in the play. 13 Assassins was a perfect example, that I have seen and loved multiple times, but I would really like another film that portrays that type of warrior culture, extreme idealism, and homocidal/suicidal tendencies. Other films that I have seen and feel belong in that genre: Jarhead, Harikiri: Death of a Samurai, Black Death, and to a lesser extent, Drive/Valhalla Rising.

So CineD, what films about devoted radicals would you recommend?

No Longer Flaky
Nov 16, 2013

by Lowtax

Chichevache posted:

Recently I finished a research paper on the Greek tragedy Ajax. Since then I've been looking for a good film that really encapsulates the kind of extreme iconoclastic behavior and martyrdom that Ajax displays in the play. 13 Assassins was a perfect example, that I have seen and loved multiple times, but I would really like another film that portrays that type of warrior culture, extreme idealism, and homocidal/suicidal tendencies. Other films that I have seen and feel belong in that genre: Jarhead, Harikiri: Death of a Samurai, Black Death, and to a lesser extent, Drive/Valhalla Rising.

You've probably already seen it and I don't think it's on Netflix but taxi driver fits this pretty well.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Chichevache posted:

It's not on Netflix, but you might look into The Battle of Algiers? It's not really "extreme idealism", it's a realistic and determined countering of colonial forces, but they were radical martyrs. It's a damned good movie, to boot.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

Chichevache posted:

Jim Jarmusch's Ghost Dog: Way of the Samurai

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

No Longer Flaky posted:

You've probably already seen it and I don't think it's on Netflix but taxi driver fits this pretty well.

Yes and yes. Both films are awesome and fit the style I want pretty well. Travis Bickle is a little too mentally ill for what I want, but Ghost Dog was a perfect archetype.

Anonymous Robot posted:

It's not on Netflix, but you might look into The Battle of Algiers? It's not really "extreme idealism", it's a realistic and determined countering of colonial forces, but they were radical martyrs. It's a damned good movie, to boot.

This looks fascinating and I added it to my list. I doubt it is exactly what I want, but I'll look for it.

And it doesn't just have to be on Netflix. I'll get Prime just to watch the type of film I'm looking for. It would be pretty cathartic.

Saganlives
Jul 6, 2005

Chichevache posted:

The directors cut of Kingdom of Heaven is a great movie. It's not on netflix, however.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Anonymous Robot posted:

Seconding this, I had to watch it as part of a history of terrorism class. Afterward read "The Question" by Henri Alleg if you want to be really depressed.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

ghetto wormhole posted:

Seconding this, I had to watch it as part of a history of terrorism class. Afterward read "The Question" by Henri Alleg if you want to be really depressed.

Yeah, Battle of Algiers is exquisite, and is pretty much considered the defining film about domestic terrorism and radical resistance tactics in the face of occupation. It got its recent reputation from the fact that it was shown to Pentagon officials around 2003 to figure out what to expect in the Iraq invasion/occupation.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Chichevache posted:

Yes and yes. Both films are awesome and fit the style I want pretty well. Travis Bickle is a little too mentally ill for what I want, but Ghost Dog was a perfect archetype.

This looks fascinating and I added it to my list. I doubt it is exactly what I want, but I'll look for it.

And it doesn't just have to be on Netflix. I'll get Prime just to watch the type of film I'm looking for. It would be pretty cathartic.

Not on Netflix unfortunately, but any time Taxi Driver comes up it's also interesting to check out The Searchers, an amazing John Ford directed and John Wayne starring golden-era western that Taxi Driver is loosely based on.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I watched Crystal Fairy last night and it does a really good job of showing what it's like having friends that are drug addicts. I still can't tell if that means I liked it or hated it.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Kyle Hyde posted:

The directors cut of Kingdom of Heaven is a great movie. It's not on netflix, however.

I own it. On Bluray. :hfive: It is ten times the film Gladiator is.

mod sassinator posted:

Not on Netflix unfortunately, but any time Taxi Driver comes up it's also interesting to check out The Searchers, an amazing John Ford directed and John Wayne starring golden-era western that Taxi Driver is loosely based on.

I saw The Searchers about a decade ago, it may be worth a rewatch.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I watched Cleanflix last night and there's just so many aggravating things happening at once in that movie that it's hard to know where to focus my disdain. I just like how none of these people had any idea how copyright law worked, had no desire to learn how it worked and rather than looking up how the law worked they continued just believing their wrong interpretation were right and that they had been screwed. I guess this fits in with alot of their beliefs though.

I also like the picture you get when you combine this lack of knowledge of the law with the later claiming that he didn't know the girl was underaged like that would make a difference.

axelblaze fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Dec 11, 2013

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Chichevache posted:

Four Lions :getin:

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009

Mescal posted:

I haven't seen Down Terrace yet but it was described to me as Kill List but replace cult stuff with folk music.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Lovelace is up there now if you like lovely movies with good boobs in them.

Also, check out the GLOW: Gorgeous Ladies of Wrestling documentary because it's cool!

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

axleblaze posted:

I watched Cleanflix last night and there's just so many aggravating things happening at once in that movie that it's hard to know where to focus my disdain. I just like how none of these people had any idea how copyright law worked, had no desire to learn how it worked and rather than looking up how the law worked they continued just believing their wrong interpretation were right and that they had been screwed. I guess this fits in with alot of their beliefs though.

I also like the picture you get when you combine this lack of knowledge of the law with the later claiming that he didn't know the girl was underaged like that would make a difference.

That "twist" caught me right off guard I couldn't do anything but laugh my rear end off.....does that make me a bad person??

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

I loving knew I was going to get this answer. :argh:

Four Lions was a drat good film though. I really enjoyed it and I wish I knew how to recommend it to people. I also watched it the day before or after the Boston Marathon Bombing, so...

GODS NOT REAL
Sep 25, 2012

YOU STUPID BUNNIES
I just watched Only God Forgives. It was interesting because to me it was a revenge movie distorted and turned completely on its head; and holy gently caress it was one of the grittiest, most brutal films I've seen in recent memory. The symbolism was pretty neat, and this movie is going to keep me thinking about it for a while.

My favourite scene was the fight scene between Julian and the antagonist. Before the fight, he's pretty much in control and mentally collected, and afterwards he's black and blue for the rest of the movie, and his actions and the things that happen to him reflect the physical state of the character.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Gushing Granny posted:

I just watched Only God Forgives. It was interesting because to me it was a revenge movie distorted and turned completely on its head; and holy gently caress it was one of the grittiest, most brutal films I've seen in recent memory. The symbolism was pretty neat, and this movie is going to keep me thinking about it for a while.

My favourite scene was the fight scene between Julian and the antagonist. Before the fight, he's pretty much in control and mentally collected, and afterwards he's black and blue for the rest of the movie, and his actions and the things that happen to him reflect the physical state of the character.
"Antagonist."

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
By the way, they added the last season of Futurama. Like alit of the show since the revival, it's pretty hit or miss but at the very least you should watch the last episode, which might be the best episode of the new run and one of the best episodes of the show period.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Kyle Hyde posted:

I wonder if I went about Kingdom of Heaven the wrong way. I only just finally caught the Director's Cut a few months ago but never saw the theatrical. You can read synopsis of what was added but they rarely give you the context for the added/changed scenes. Trying to imagine what the movie was like prior to these additions (the actual theatrical cut) is next to impossible.

It does sound like all the best parts and character moments (including an entire character's subplot and motivations) were cut out, leaving only plot points to move the story along.

It's a good movie though. I think I actually do like it more than Gladiator, if only because KoH is more historically accurate and I've been on a Roman history binge of late.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Thwomp posted:

I wonder if I went about Kingdom of Heaven the wrong way. I only just finally caught the Director's Cut a few months ago but never saw the theatrical. You can read synopsis of what was added but they rarely give you the context for the added/changed scenes. Trying to imagine what the movie was like prior to these additions (the actual theatrical cut) is next to impossible.

It does sound like all the best parts and character moments (including an entire character's subplot and motivations) were cut out, leaving only plot points to move the story along.

It's a good movie though. I think I actually do like it more than Gladiator, if only because KoH is more historically accurate and I've been on a Roman history binge of late.

There is exactly 0 reasons for the theatrical cut besides making it shorter. It is so bad. Also Edward Norton ' s performance in it is probably my favorite of his. Seeing him act without using facial expressions is absolutely marvelous.

Saganlives
Jul 6, 2005

Chichevache posted:

There is exactly 0 reasons for the theatrical cut besides making it shorter. It is so bad.

This. I originally saw the theatrical cut and thought it was dumb. I don't know what possessed me watch it again, but when I did I got the director's cut and was blown away by how much better it is. Especially the siege on Jerusalem. It goes from being over in a day to actually feeling like it was lasting weeks.

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!

axleblaze posted:

By the way, they added the last season of Futurama. Like alit of the show since the revival, it's pretty hit or miss but at the very least you should watch the last episode, which might be the best episode of the new run and one of the best episodes of the show period.

This is true, it suits the show very well. I skipped most of the last season but this is worth catching even if you only watched the original run.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I saw Kingdom of Heaven in the cinema and I thought it was pretty weak, gotta check out this DC I guess.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I saw Kingdom of Heaven in the cinema and I thought it was pretty weak, gotta check out this DC I guess.

I got the bluray on amazon for $10. It was totally worth itm

GODS NOT REAL
Sep 25, 2012

YOU STUPID BUNNIES

TychoCelchuuu posted:

"Antagonist."

Yeah, true. However, this is one of those stories that's told so that you root for a character no matter their angle.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Gushing Granny posted:

Yeah, true. However, this is one of those stories that's told so that you root for a character no matter their angle.

Ryan Gosling is dreamy :swoon:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Chichevache posted:

I got the bluray on amazon for $10. It was totally worth itm

Nice, just read a review of the BR that says the quality is good so I'll have a look for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Only God Forgives was a really really gorgeous movie. I wasn't in love with the story, but man if it wasn't gorgeous even when the actions depicted on the screen were incredibly violent and cringeworthy. The sets and the lighting are just incredible. Also, Gosling's love interest in the movie is very easy on the eyes.

• Locked thread