Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe

Blackula69 posted:

yeah it's actually really good

casablanca is the citizen kane of classic movies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

DanTahHedgehog posted:

I also can't wait until Attack of the Six-Year-Olds Invading the Internet comes out! It'll be so cool!

well poo poo

Dan's Wikipedia sub-page posted:

Characters

Dan - A sixteen-year-old heterosexual web phenomenon who recieves a letter from himself in the future. Played by: Dan Bruton
Dan of the Future - Played by: Dan
Dani - Dan's girlfriend and intimate lover. Is good at h4cking websites. Played by: Lydia Brunk
Miles "Tails" Prower - A fifteen-year-old fox who is good at flying airplanes. Voiced by: Dan
Oscar Wilde - A writer of popular novels. Is Dan's second best friend. Voiced by: Kirby Smith
Shadow the Hedgehog - A dark hedgehog created by Professor Gerald Robotnik. Was hired by Tails to help them destroy the evil six-year-olds invading the Internet. Voiced by: Dan
The Secret Army of Kittens - Voiced by: Kirby and Dan
A reporter - Played by: Kirby

Widdiful
Oct 10, 2012

quote:

The story depicts a sixteen-year-old Dan having an ordinary life until a weird contraption crash-lands in his backyard. He and his girlfriend Dani, along with his friends Tails and Oscar Wilde open it up to find a letter from Dan of the year 2068, having written a letter to himself from the past warning him that in the future, six-year-olds have taken over the internet. Every popular website has been h4cked by these evil six-year-olds. The letter says that it is Dan's destiny to stop them. With help from Shadow the Hedgehog and a secret army of kittens, will Dan and his friends stop the six-year-olds once and for all by loving them dead?

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

RZApublican posted:

sixteen-year-old heterosexual web phenomenon

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
mods

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner
you must be at least 16 years of age to post on HetNet

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

:shroom::shroom:

AtomD posted:

casablanca is the citizen kane of classic movies

lol

my younger sister refuses to watch any black and white movies bc she is a dumb

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

i didn't see Psycho until about 2004, and somehow didn't know anything about the plot except that a woman gets stabbed

Miley Virus
Apr 9, 2010

apparently this kid is a

Multi-instrumentalist singer-songwriter creates music that reflects influences of modern and classic rock, blues and jazz, with lyrics tackling serious and humorous subjects.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwr1nfEhGRc

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

fork bomb posted:

lol

my younger sister refuses to watch any black and white movies bc she is a dumb

we have a family friend with moderately severe autism and his big thing is movies. he just is completely obsessed with movies and every fact about them and can tell you who the director was, the budget and box office gross, release date, etc. except...it's only new movies. he does not care in the slightest if the movie isn't in theaters. he only adds movies to his "database" if they're new releases and his knowledge only goes back basically as far as he started doing this. he has never seen any of the great classic films and has no interest in them either.

so we go to that family's place for dinner, he asks me "uh, so, what movies have you seen lately?" (his favorite question) and i say "well couple weeks ago i watched bullitt, and close encounters of the third kind, and alien, they're pretty great, you should check them out, man" and his eyes glaze over and he goes "have you seen paranormal activity 3? i saw paranormal activity 3 last week"

it's really frustrating, i would actually be happy to sperg about movies with him for a couple hours and give him a bunch of my favorites to watch but he just inexplicably doesn't care unless they're new. american pie 8 is more important to him than aliens or reare window or the shining or w/e. ugh

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Dec 12, 2013

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
or, for this season, santa claus conquers the martians

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

Sniep posted:

hooray for santee claus

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Dead Inside Darwin posted:

hooray for santee claus

i put it up on the wall on four different devices time synched all day over and over. coworker had monopolized a couple of the others tho so i couldn't have a full wall of santa claus conquers the martians, bastard with actual work poo poo to put up :mad:

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

:shroom::shroom:

Sniep posted:

yessss. a new christmas tradition (thanks sniep!)

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."
indonesia has played a total of 1 (one) fifa world cup game:

quote:

Indonesia at the FIFA World Cup
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This is a record of Indonesia's results at the FIFA World Cup. The FIFA World Cup, sometimes called the Football World Cup or the Soccer World Cup, but usually referred to simply as the World Cup, is an international association football competition contested by the men's national teams of the members of Fédération Internationale de Football Association (FIFA), the sport's global governing body. The championship has been awarded every four years since the first tournament in 1930, except in 1942 and 1946, due to World War II.
The tournament consists of two parts, the qualification phase and the final phase (officially called the World Cup Finals). The qualification phase, which currently take place over the three years preceding the Finals, is used to determine which teams qualify for the Finals. The current format of the Finals involves 32 teams competing for the title, at venues within the host nation (or nations) over a period of about a month. The World Cup Finals is the most widely-viewed sporting event in the world, with an estimated 715.1 million people watching the 2006 tournament final.[1]
The Indonesian national football team has only participated once in the FIFA World Cup, which is the 1938 World Cup in France, under the name Dutch East Indies. Although they are now independent from the Netherlands and has changed their name to Indonesia, FIFA considers them as the successor team of Dutch East Indies. The Indies played Hungary in their first game ever, losing 6-0. The straight knockout format used at the time made it the only game ever played by the Indonesians. Thus, Indonesia holds the FIFA World Cup record as the only team with the fewest matches played (1) and one of the teams with the fewest goals scored (0).
In 1958, the team tasted their first World Cup action as Indonesia in the qualifying rounds. They got past China in the first round, but subsequently refused to play their next opponents Israel. The team suffered a long hiatus from FIFA World Cup since 1958 due to an unfavourable political situation - both internally and externally. It was only in 1974 that Indonesia returned to the fold.
Contents [hide]
1 History
1.1 World Cup Competition Record
2 Dutch East Indies at the 1938 FIFA World Cup
2.1 Hungary v Dutch East Indies
3 References
History[edit]

World Cup Competition Record[edit]
FIFA World Cup Finals Record Qualifications Record
Hosts / Year Result Position GP W D L GS GA GP W D L GS GA
Uruguay 1930 Did not enter - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Italy 1934 Did not enter - - - - - - - - - - - - -
France 1938 Round 1 (as Dutch East Indies) 15 1 0 0 1 0 6 - - - - - -
Brazil 1950 Withdrew during qualifying - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Switzerland 1954 Did not participate - - - - - - - 2 0 1 1 3 7
Sweden 1958 Withdrew during qualifying - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Chile 1962 Withdrew during qualifying - - - - - - - 2 0 0 2 1 4
England 1966 Did not participate - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Mexico 1970 Did not participate - - - - - - - - - - - - -
West Germany 1974 Did not qualify - - - - - - - 6 1 2 3 6 13
Argentina 1978 Did not qualify - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Spain 1982 Did not qualify - - - - - - - 8 2 2 4 5 14
Mexico 1986 Did not qualify - - - - - - - 6 4 1 1 8 4
Italy 1990 Did not qualify - - - - - - - 6 1 3 2 5 10
United States 1994 Did not qualify - - - - - - - 8 1 0 7 6 19
France 1998 Did not qualify - - - - - - - 6 1 4 1 11 6
South KoreaJapan 2002 Did not qualify - - - - - - - 6 4 0 2 16 7
Germany 2006 Did not qualify - - - - - - - 6 2 1 3 8 12
South Africa 2010 Did not qualify - - - - - - - 2 0 0 2 1 11
Brazil 2014 Did not qualify 8 1 1 6 8 32
Total 1/19 Round 1 1 0 0 1 0 6 66 17 15 34 100 137
Dutch East Indies at the 1938 FIFA World Cup[edit]

[show] v t e
Dutch East Indies squad – 1938 FIFA World Cup

Hungary v Dutch East Indies[edit]
5 June 1938
17:00 WEST (UTC+01)
Hungary 6 - 0 Dutch East Indies
Kohut Goal 14'
Toldi Goal 16'
Sárosi Goal 25', 88'
Zsengellér Goal 30', 67' Report
Vélodrome Municipal, Reims
Attendance: ~8,000
Referee: Roger Conrié (France)

Hungary

Dutch East Indies
Hungary
HUNGARY:
GK József Háda
DF Lajos Korányi
DF Sándor Bíró
MF József Turay
MF Gyula Lázár
MF István Balogh
FW Géza Toldi
FW György Sárosi (c)
FW Ferenc Sas
FW Gyula Zsengellér
FW Vilmos Kohut
Manager:
Hungary Károly Dietz and Alfréd Schaffer
Dutch East Indies
DUTCH EAST INDIES:
GK Mo Heng Tan
DF Frans Hu Kon
DF Jack Samuels
MF Achmad Nawir (c)
MF Frans Meeng
MF Sutan Anwar
FW Tan Hong Djien
FW Isaak Pattiwael
FW Hans Taihuttu
FW Suvarte Soedarmadji
FW Henk Zomers
Manager:
Netherlands Johannes van Mastenbroek
Man of the Match:
Assistant referees:
France Charles de la Salle
West Germany Karl Weingartner

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
scholarly sources

quote:

12. Dong, Bamboo (August 2, 2010)

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

hackbunny posted:

scholarly sources

that's DOCTOR bamboo dong to you

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
so many splinters

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Sagebrush posted:

i think it's a good shibboleth. if someone uses the word "quantum" and they don't have at least a bsc in physics you can safely ignore everything they say

what about when talking about my quantum fireball hard drive from the late 90's? i refuse to believe you would ignore that.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Griffin#Reaction_to_his_death

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

quote:

Ahsan Haque of IGN has given Brian a positive review, calling him the best talking man-dog.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
glad thats settled

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
i dont know why but i read an interview with Mr Seth about that and he said it was "a fun twist for the show"

then they played a 5 minute clip of the main characters crying over a bloodied broken corpse

~hilarious~

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

im kind of hoping peter's death is for real and that he's going to slowly kill off the core cast until the show is gone

Otaku Alpha Male
Nov 11, 2012

bitches get ~tsundere~ when I pull out my katana
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Furry_fandom#Sexual_aspects

Sexual aspects

"Yiff" redirects here. For the film festival also known as YIFF, see Yerevan International Film Festival.

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."

Otaku Alpha Male posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Furry_fandom#Sexual_aspects

Sexual aspects

"Yiff" redirects here. For the film festival also known as YIFF, see Yerevan International Film Festival.

loled irl

voting 5 :c00l:

Donkwich
Feb 28, 2011

Grimey Drawer
i haven't read the last 100 pages, has this been posted yet

:nws: http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Jimmy_Wales_by_Pricasso_%28the_making_of%29.ogv :nws:

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
yes and its glory remains undiminished

the deletion request discussions are also p. great

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Dec 13, 2013

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

On June 14, 2013, Active Worlds, Inc. dropped the registration fee and made account creation free

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Any counter-measures which have a negative economic impact will remain a controversial issue due to the strong economic interests involved[citation needed], with key questions regarding whether the scientific understanding is strong enough to warrant the proposed countermeasures[citation needed]. In this context it is worth noting that it is commonly believed that one reason for the relative ease of introduction of the Montreal protocol was the availability of CFC replacements at little extra cost[citation needed].

The consensus amongst most atmospheric physicists[who?] and chemists[who?] is that the scientific understanding has now reached a level where countermeasures to control CFC emissions are justified[citation needed], although the decision is ultimately one for policy-makers and society[citation needed].

Despite this general consensus[citation needed], the science behind ozone depletion remains complex[citation needed], and some who oppose the enforcement of countermeasures point to some of the difficulties experienced in these studies[citation needed]. For example:

Initial studies of the ozone hole were hampered with difficulties[citation needed]. Most notably, satellite measurements showing massive depletion of ozone around the south pole were initially rejected as unreasonable by data quality control algorithms[citation needed]; the ozone hole was only detected in satellite data when the raw data was reprocessed with modified processing algorithms following evidence of an ozone hole in in situ observations[citation needed]. This, however, was simply a problem with the data-processing algorithms for the satellite data and has long been corrected, and so has no bearing on the current situation[citation needed].

Predictions of ozone remains a difficult science[citation needed]. The World Meteorological Organization Global Ozone Research and Monitoring Project – Report No. 44, which on balance comes out strongly in favour of the Montreal protocol[citation needed], nonetheless notes that projections of ozone loss for the 1994–1997 period made in the UNEP 1994 Assessment had been an overestimate[citation needed].

Although increased UVB has been shown to constitute a melanoma risk (see above)[citation needed], it has been difficult for statistical studies to establish a direct link between ozone depletion and increased rates of melanoma[citation needed]. Although melanomas did increase significantly during the period 1970–1990, it is difficult to separate reliably the effect of ozone depletion from the effect of changes in lifestyle factors (e.g. time spent outdoors)[citation needed].

One prominent opponent of CFC reduction strategy has been the atmospheric scientist Fred Singer, who has noted the scientific uncertainties such as the lack of direct observations of surface UV increases (as mentioned above)[citation needed]. However, Singer goes far beyond this to claim, for example, that "CFCs with lifetimes of decades and longer become well-mixed in the atmosphere, percolate into the stratosphere, and there release chlorine" is controversial [4][citation needed][/super], when there is clear evidence for it[citation needed](though Singer is wrong to use the word "percolate"[citation needed]). Singer, who is also a leading skeptic of strategies on global warming[citation needed], has consistently insisted that the remaining level of scientific uncertainty about these issues is too high to justify taking the control measures recommended by most other atmospheric scientists, given their possible economic impact[citation needed].

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

Any counter-measures which have a negative economic impact will remain a controversial issue due to the strong economic interests involved[citation needed], with key questions regarding whether the scientific understanding is strong enough to warrant the proposed countermeasures[citation needed]. In this context it is worth noting that it is commonly believed that one reason for the relative ease of introduction of the Montreal protocol was the availability of CFC replacements at little extra cost[citation needed].

The consensus amongst most atmospheric physicists[who?] and chemists[who?] is that the scientific understanding has now reached a level where countermeasures to control CFC emissions are justified[citation needed], although the decision is ultimately one for policy-makers and society[citation needed].

Despite this general consensus[citation needed], the science behind ozone depletion remains complex[citation needed], and some who oppose the enforcement of countermeasures point to some of the difficulties experienced in these studies[citation needed]. For example:

Initial studies of the ozone hole were hampered with difficulties[citation needed]. Most notably, satellite measurements showing massive depletion of ozone around the south pole were initially rejected as unreasonable by data quality control algorithms[citation needed]; the ozone hole was only detected in satellite data when the raw data was reprocessed with modified processing algorithms following evidence of an ozone hole in in situ observations[citation needed]. This, however, was simply a problem with the data-processing algorithms for the satellite data and has long been corrected, and so has no bearing on the current situation[citation needed].

Predictions of ozone remains a difficult science[citation needed]. The World Meteorological Organization Global Ozone Research and Monitoring Project – Report No. 44, which on balance comes out strongly in favour of the Montreal protocol[citation needed], nonetheless notes that projections of ozone loss for the 1994–1997 period made in the UNEP 1994 Assessment had been an overestimate[citation needed].

Although increased UVB has been shown to constitute a melanoma risk (see above)[citation needed], it has been difficult for statistical studies to establish a direct link between ozone depletion and increased rates of melanoma[citation needed]. Although melanomas did increase significantly during the period 1970–1990, it is difficult to separate reliably the effect of ozone depletion from the effect of changes in lifestyle factors (e.g. time spent outdoors)[citation needed].

One prominent opponent of CFC reduction strategy has been the atmospheric scientist Fred Singer, who has noted the scientific uncertainties such as the lack of direct observations of surface UV increases (as mentioned above)[citation needed]. However, Singer goes far beyond this to claim, for example, that "CFCs with lifetimes of decades and longer become well-mixed in the atmosphere, percolate into the stratosphere, and there release chlorine" is controversial [4][citation needed][/super], when there is clear evidence for it[citation needed](though Singer is wrong to use the word "percolate"[citation needed]). Singer, who is also a leading skeptic of strategies on global warming[citation needed], has consistently insisted that the remaining level of scientific uncertainty about these issues is too high to justify taking the control measures recommended by most other atmospheric scientists, given their possible economic impact[citation needed].
same[citation needed]

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

same[1]

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Each book has a tagline (except Untouchable) which usually follows the lines of "Virtually ..., Really ..."

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

I thought this was the 'post the most worthless thing on wikipedia' thread, not the 'post the best thing on wikipedia' thread. in fact, every page on wikipedia should just be this video, repeated over and over.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
"Respect the Wind" was recorded following Eddie's dissatisfaction with the song "Humans Being" and marked one of the straws that led to lead singer Sammy Hagar's supposed termination from the band[citation needed]. It is considered one of Eddie's greatest[by whom?]. The one on "Twister" has been edited for time[citation needed]. Eddie uses an EQ guitar effects pedal[citation needed].

The song is composed in C dorian mode.[1]

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Criticism [edit]

Some professionals have acknowledged that Second Life offers unique opportunities to expand the horizons of traditional library services.[1] In addition, some University librarians believe that Second Life library can be a valuable part of University services, becoming involved in activities such as delivering a downloading service for lecture notes.[1]

Some studies have found that some librarians did not pay enough attention to pre-planning their Second Life libraries, despite librarianship having a culture of planning and management.[5] Most Second Life librarians have no time to manage Second Life Library during their working time because there is not any official timeline that designed by departments.[5] As a result, Second Life libraries are misunderstood by many people who view Second Life libraries as just games without any educational value. Although the Second Life library is easier to navigate and provides many useful and good materials, it has few users. The reason is that the Second Life branch has not been well promoted in real life so library users do not know its existence.[5]

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
The key features of Web 2.0 [22] include:
  1. Folksonomy- free classification of information; allows users to collectively classify and find information (e.g. Tagging)
  2. Rich User Experience- dynamic content; responsive to user input
  3. User as a Contributor- information flows two ways between site owner and site user by means of evaluation, review, and commenting
  4. Long tail- services offered on demand basis; profit is realized through monthly service subscriptions more than one-time purchases of goods over the network
  5. User Participation- site users add content for others to see (e.g. Crowdsourcing)
  6. Basic Trust- contributions are available for the world to use, reuse, or re-purpose
  7. Dispersion- content delivery uses multiple channels (e.g. file sharing, permalinks); digital resources and services are sought more than physical goods
  8. Mass Participation

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jizz_(birding)

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Favorable connotations
Among Incas left-handers were called (and now are called among the indigenous peoples of the Andes) lloq'e (Quechua: lluq'i) which has positive value. Peoples of the Andes consider left-handers to possess special spiritual abilities, including magic and healing.

The Third Sapa Inca—Lloque Yupanqui—was left-handed. His name, when translated from Quechua, means "the glorified lefthander." However, Lloque was also known as "The Unforgettable Left-Handed One" due to his reportedly horrifying ugliness.

In the Chinese language, the character for "left", 左, depicts a left hand attending to its work. In contrast, the character for "right", 右 (yòu), depicts a right hand in relation to the mouth, suggesting the act of eating.

In tantra Buddhism, the left hand represents wisdom.[25]

In early Roman times, the left side retained a positive connotation, as the Augures proceeded from the eastern side.[26] The negative meaning was subsequently borrowed into Latin from Greek, and ever since in all Roman languages.

In Russian, "levsha" (lefty, lefthander) became a common noun for skilled craftsman, after the title character from "The Tale of Cross-eyed Lefty from Tula and the Steel Flea" written in 1881 by Nikolai Leskov.

In the context of BDSM and Leather culture, the left side is traditionally associated with dominance. Flagging on the left indicated one was the performer of an action rather than the recipient, and in The Story of O (an early piece of BDSM erotica) masters wore a symbolic ring on the left hand to show who they were.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Sean Dooley described jizz as "the indefinable quality of a particular species, the 'vibe' it gives off" and notes that although it is "dismissed by many as some kind of birding alchemy, there is some physical basis to the idea of jizz."[1]

Experienced birders can often make reliable identifications in the field at a glance by utilising jizz. Often jizz is useful for identifying to the family or genus level, rather than the species level. For example, "It definitely had the jizz of a thrush, but I couldn't see what kind."