Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
slightpirate
Dec 26, 2006
i am the dance commander

dennyk posted:

Our sysadmin team already has to babysit our monitoring system from 9AM to midnight seven days a week. Today our boss mentioned that management wants to have someone actively monitoring things 24/7. He's trying to convince them to just hire some drat NOC people already, but I'm not sure they're going to bite, which means it'll probably end up in our laps. There's about ten people on our team, but everyone has different roles and there isn't much overlap, so whatever monitoring hours they stick us with will be in addition to our normal ~45 hours a week of actual work just like they are now, I'm sure, except they'll have to have at least two people doing it every week, so we'll end up on monitoring and have no time off at all for a week almost every month, and have to shift our sleep schedules around all the drat time in the process. :(

get something like WhatsUp to monitor services and servers and dispatch text messages to the cell phones of the rotating on-call. Everyone can sleep, and if a page comes in, it can be addressed accordingly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

slightpirate posted:

get something like WhatsUp to monitor services and servers and dispatch text messages to the cell phones of the rotating on-call. Everyone can sleep, and if a page comes in, it can be addressed accordingly.

Seconding WhatsUp.

It's ridiculously simple to setup and use, the support guys are awesome and the default setup is basically bombproof. All for ~$1500 plus annual subscription.

(the default installation uses SQL Express, though, so you might want to spent the bread for a SQL Server license)

Dimitri ExZemos
Aug 9, 2006
Dimitri
Rolling out a new office, I wasn't really given much space to work with a new rack so I had to improvise. Yes, that is a drainage pipe for the HVAC system running that close to the rack... On the bright side, the rack and cabling looks pretty! Waiting for another 2U cable management piece to come in and run the blue cables through.

Management YLW, User BLUE, Firewall BLK, Internet RED, SIP GRN, VoIP WHT.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Lum posted:

The 1 metre limit doesn't apply for patch panel to switches as it's between devices only, therefore the distance is 30cm + however far away the wall socket it + however long the patch cable at the other end is.

Your usage is exactly why 30cm patch cables exist, even though connecting two devices together with one is out of spec.

He had 30CM going switch to switch. But the official spec doesn't seem to specify a minimum length for CAT5 or CAT6 cables so it should be fine. It just seems everyone has heard somewhere there is a minimum of 1m between active devices but no one can actually point to where in any sort of official documentation it states this.
Also Dimitri ExZemos ewww cable ties, velcro all the things!

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Varkk posted:

He had 30CM going switch to switch. But the official spec doesn't seem to specify a minimum length for CAT5 or CAT6 cables so it should be fine. It just seems everyone has heard somewhere there is a minimum of 1m between active devices but no one can actually point to where in any sort of official documentation it states this.
I'm pretty sure it was this thread in which it was discussed to death. The IEEE 802.3 standard sets an implicit minimum cable length based on a minimum required latency between two devices, particularly so collision detection works. One could argue that this can be ignored since almost nobody uses unswitched connections, but I think a more correct interpretation is that the spec is the spec and you break it at your own peril. The worst-case scenario is where it works fine when you do the install, you forget all about it, and then later you install some device that doesn't believe there's anything connected to the port and go through a lot of pain before you realize what's going on.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

blackswordca posted:

Luckily this wont affect me,

You're so precious.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

Alereon posted:

I'm pretty sure it was this thread in which it was discussed to death. The IEEE 802.3 standard sets an implicit minimum cable length based on a minimum required latency between two devices, particularly so collision detection works.
If my maths is right, you'll start getting bad things happening on a 10base2 segment shorter than 500mm. In a gigabit switched world, I suspect you'll run into physical usability issues (ie very short cables are too fiddly to work with) before actual electrical problems, which may start happening @ <150mm. Maybe there are lovely switches out there that don't handle detecting very short cable lengths and can't figure out when to go into low power mode.

Mr Chips fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Dec 11, 2013

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

So we purchased a Teamviewer corporate license. Does anyone else have this? How do you bundle the full version with the licensing code so you don't have to email the guy the code.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Not required, only you and your it team need the license punched in. Everyone else can just install the exe (or drop the remote-support exe on your website. No install)

Jelmylicious
Dec 6, 2007
Buy Dr. Quack's miracle juice! Now with patented H-twenty!

Mr Chips posted:

If my maths is right, you'll start getting bad things happening on a 10base2 segment shorter than 500mm. In a gigabit switched world, I suspect you'll run into physical usability issues (ie very short cables are too fiddly to work with) before actual electrical problems, which may start happening @ <150mm.

I am quite curious about the math behind this. I wouldn't even have been able tea start any calculation, let alone get an answer.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost
I'm not quite sure why having a too short cable should be a problem. A cable that's too long is of course not good because aside from the signal attenuation, if you are able to queue up too many bits into the cable before the first one reaches the destination, then the collision detection gets hosed up.
For a gigabit connection, a 100m cable would allow you to "queue" up the 512 bytes over which Ethernet collision detection stops working.

But what should be the problem with a cable that's too short?

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Might not reach.

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

Anyone know of any programs out there that'll add in some form of start button in a terminal environment on Server 2012? Users insist they need to use the start button and can't do their jobs remotely without it.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

AboveAndBeyond posted:

Anyone know of any programs out there that'll add in some form of start button in a terminal environment on Server 2012? Users insist they need to use the start button and can't do their jobs remotely without it.

We had that come up, we told them that's too bad. Microsoft removed it in newer versions of Windows and it's an adjustment for us all.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

AboveAndBeyond posted:

Windows Key + x will get them most of it.

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

GreenNight posted:

We had that come up, we told them that's too bad. Microsoft removed it in newer versions of Windows and it's an adjustment for us all.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Windows Key + x will get them most of it.

"But you see, it's always been there and just make it work I can't do my jo--...."

Ok, that's what I was thinking. There are 2 out there that advertise it but god drat they either don't work in terminal sessions or are incredibly slow (Start Menu 8 from IOBit and StartW8 respectively)

Dimitri ExZemos
Aug 9, 2006
Dimitri

Varkk posted:

Yea I know, those are in temporarily until I get a pair of scissors at the new office. I have a huge roll of velcro ties I use but need to cut the lengths from it. I promise it will be touched up with velcro in the coming weeks. ;)

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

AboveAndBeyond posted:

"But you see, it's always been there and just make it work I can't do my jo--...."

Ok, that's what I was thinking. There are 2 out there that advertise it but god drat they either don't work in terminal sessions or are incredibly slow (Start Menu 8 from IOBit and StartW8 respectively)

Set the desktop background to an image that includes the start button.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Set the desktop background to an image that includes the start button.

Set the background to a webpage that is nothing but the old windows desktop that plays a nope.wav every time you mash start.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

AboveAndBeyond posted:

IT users or the rank-and-file? Most of my problems with remoting into Server 2012 were fixed by pinning Run to the taskbar.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

AboveAndBeyond posted:

I installed Classic Shell on the Windows 2012 servers at work, simply because it is loving irritating to use, especially in windowed mode. Worked fine over remote desktop and really helps.

You should not have to get used to something that is frankly awful.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

AboveAndBeyond posted:

The remote-use Windows server at my university uses Classic Shell on 2012, although I couldn't tell you how hard it was to get it that way.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Or stop using 2012 since R2 is out and has the Start button, although all it does it take you to Metro. Eh.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Potato Alley posted:

Or stop using 2012 since R2 is out and has the Start button, although all it does it take you to Metro. Eh.

Does classic shell work?

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

geera posted:

The best is when they walk up to you and start the conversation with "I have a question for you -- don't worry, it's not work related..." and then they go on about how messed up their home network is and want to know how to fix it. How they think prefacing a home tech support question with "it's not work related" is supposed to make me think "oh, okay then, proceed!" is beyond me. I'd rather it be work related.

gently caress this so hard. I've even had co-workers contact me multiple times while I was on vacation and pull this poo poo. My first thought was pretty much like what you said, how does "it's not work related" make it any better? The other was, "You're a tech, why are you unable to figure this out for yourself?". It wasn't anything difficult, I think I was able to Google the stuff I didn't know off of the top of my head, but it was the fact that they knew I was on vacation, yet contacted me multiple times. The last time they called, I finally had to tell them not to call me about that anymore, I'm on vacation trying to relax. Kinda ridiculous that I even had to point this out.

FISHMANPET posted:

There probably won't be. It was agreed to "in secret" between the user and my boss. My boss has no understanding of the value of time, so he won't see it as costing us anything to help him out.

It's come up a bunch of times and I've tried to explain it as simply as I can, If I'm doing pain in the rear end thing then that's less time to do other more valuable things, but he just don't grok it.

If your boss tells you to go ahead and do it, hand it off to him to install it and tell him, "Next time you make an agreement like that, get it in writing".

TWBalls fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Dec 11, 2013

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

Does classic shell work?

Haven't tried it on R2, actually, so I don't know.

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!
Coworker asks if I can move a PC, since they're busy. I say sure, just forward me the info.

Are you loving joking? posted:

I feel guilty to ask you this, but I was wondering if someone could move the physical placement of my CPU. Right now it sits on the floor, but it's difficult for me to use headphones. If possible, could some move it to my desk? I would do it myself but I did not want to mess up the wires.

:shepicide:

EDIT: I should add that before I got this it was communicated as urgent, which is the true source of my annoyance.

AllTerrineVehicle fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Dec 11, 2013

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Send them a link to somewhere that sells minijack extension cables

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

AllTerrineVehicle posted:

Coworker asks if I can move a PC, since they're busy. I say sure, just forward me the info.

The only strange thing I see about this is how polite the user is.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies
Here you go, less than a buck a piece from Monoprice:
3.5mm M/F extension cables
or, in case they have USB headphones (under $2/ea):
USB A Male to A Female extension cables

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax
Found this gem, this morning!

Killl meee! I'm a freeeeaaaak! :suicide:

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

I haven't worked support since Netware 3 & BNC were all the rage, but I made the mistake of mentioning to the reception desk that I used to work in support a few months ago. After 14 loving years of raising tickets instead of answering them, a loving ticket came in this morning for me. "Our internet is off and IT won't answer their phone". And yes, someone had loving unplugged a router to charge their phone. You might think you'll escape, but you never do.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

"The toilets are overflowing and maintenance won't answer the phone"

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Caged posted:

"Okay"

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

Caged posted:

"That's hilarious! Ok, I'm off for lunch. I hope that gets sorted out for you!"

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Caged posted:

Notes:
Walked down to maintenance department, no employees present. Called maintenance phone from cellphone: Maintenance phone rings. Answered maintenance phone and performed voice check: Passed.
Closed:
Verified that maintenance phone is functional.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

EDIT: I should add that before I got this it was communicated as urgent, which is the true source of my annoyance.

Get them the 75 foot extension from Monoprice and dump it on their desk.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

The flipside of this one would be

quote:

PC is broken, cant do any work until it is fixed why does IT always make it so hard for us?
This will be CC'd to every manager and board member they can find
You get there and it will be sitting on the desk completely unplugged except for the headphones.

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

Caged posted:

In my defence, the woman who runs reception is loving terrifying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!
So a 3 hour lunch came in;

Today was the clients holiday lunch/secret santa. I was the only one from my company invited to it. So free lunch and secret santa where half of the presents were booze. I ended up with a 40 of Caramel vodka...

Today has been a good day.

blackswordca fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Dec 11, 2013

• Locked thread