Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

perfectfire posted:

Really? Which companies?
Facebook, Google, Amazon, Microsoft. At least as far as I know none of the recruiting people I've been coordinating with have been in HR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unpurposed
Apr 22, 2008
:dukedog:

Fun Shoe
Just wanted to say thanks for all the help this thread has provided in my job search. Received, negotiated, and accepted a job offer!

To chime in, I've only ever spoke with internal recruiters. Is there ever a reason to go through a recruiting company? It seems like more of a hassle.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
A few smaller companies only hire through recruiters because it can be cheaper than having your own department. Of the small companies I've talked to recently, about half had me talk to an external recruiter when I expressed interest and the other half just connected me with a Senior Dev. I applied for all of those jobs via CraigsList or StackOverflow, though.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Cicero posted:

Facebook, Google, Amazon, Microsoft. At least as far as I know none of the recruiting people I've been coordinating with have been in HR.

Recruiting falls under the banner of HR, whether the particular individuals you were dealing with were part of that umbrella organization or reported to a smaller department doesn't seem to matter much.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

DreadCthulhu posted:

Is it a faux pas to refuse invitations to connect from recruiters whom I do not personally know on linkedin? I have some of these guys continuously attempt to friend me when I do not know who they are at all.

I've gotten scads of third party recruiters who send friend requests where they've pre-filled the "how do I know this person" field with "Worked together at ACME recruiting firm."

I have zero compunction about hitting the "Don't Know This Person" button in this case, even though that penalizes them to some degree rather than if you just ignored it. To me it seems like if they're trying to tee things up with a lie, then they're not going to be terribly truthful with me at any point later on down the line.

kitten smoothie fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Dec 12, 2013

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Does that actually penalize them, though? At this point, I'm pretty sure that linked in is just one big recruiting mechanism, so "this is spam" is just a label for "skip request" rather than "flag account".

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

What the fuck is up, Denny's?!
Considering linkedin makes its money from recruiters, I doubt they'll start punishing them for anything as long as the recruits' experience isn't too hurt by it.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Volmarias posted:

Does that actually penalize them, though? At this point, I'm pretty sure that linked in is just one big recruiting mechanism, so "this is spam" is just a label for "skip request" rather than "flag account".

Supposedly if five people or more hit that button, your account gets restricted and can't send friend requests from someone's profile. Instead, you can only do it if you have the email address tied to that persons account.

But in reality who knows. It's only a speed bump in the grand scheme of things, though, for sure.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
Probationary period is up, I get to renegotiate my salary today.

Does anyone have resources I can use as a base point? I want to get a decent salary where I am so I don't need to do the jackass move of listing my resume everywhere and job-hop every 18 months until I'm 40... and at the same time I for some reason take it really personally when I don't think I'm getting paid a reasonable wage.

Pythagoras a trois fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Dec 12, 2013

jkyuusai
Jun 26, 2008

homegrown man milk

Cheekio posted:

Probationary period is up, I get to renegotiate my salary today.

Does anyone have resources I can use as a base point? I want to get a decent salary where I am so I don't need to do the jackass move of listing my resume everywhere and job-hop every 18 months until I'm 40... and at the same time I for some reason take it really personally when I don't think I'm getting paid a reasonable wage.

When I did my own research a little over a month ago, these are the places I used:

Glassdoor - Built from self-reported data, so pretty unscientific and generally assumed to be biased to the high side.

Indeed - Scraped from their job postings

BLS Wage Data - Lots of different breakdowns of pay by job titles at the national/state/county/city level.

State employee salary listings - In most cases these will be lower than what you can expect in the private sector.

Talking to people - In your area, and even more helpfully (if possible) at your company.

VVV: Thanks, knew I was forgetting one!

jkyuusai fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Dec 12, 2013

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

jkyuusai posted:

When I did my own research a little over a month ago, these are the places I used:

Glassdoor - Built from self-reported data, so pretty unscientific and generally assumed to be biased to the high side.

Indeed - Scraped from their job postings

BLS Wage Data - Lots of different breakdowns of pay by job titles at the national/state/county/city level.

State employee salary listings - In most cases these will be lower than what you can expect in the private sector.

Talking to people - In your area, and even more helpfully (if possible) at your company.

Salary.com is usually relatively accurate, in my experience.

Funambulist
Aug 3, 2012

kitten smoothie posted:

I've gotten scads of third party recruiters who send friend requests where they've pre-filled the "how do I know this person" field with "Worked together at ACME recruiting firm."

I have zero compunction about hitting the "Don't Know This Person" button in this case, even though that penalizes them to some degree rather than if you just ignored it. To me it seems like if they're trying to tee things up with a lie, then they're not going to be terribly truthful with me at any point later on down the line.

Those guys are usually the same recruiters who just spam you with form emails about their wonderful 3 month contract job in Nowhere, Arizona that you're perfect for, so gently caress 'em.

And for an actual question: how badly does not having professional experience with a language hurt you when you're applying somewhere that uses it? Specifically for junior roles. I use C++ at work and have a couple Python projects at decent levels of completion up on github, so I figure that hits the "can program competently" and "can use Python" boxes.

At least it's the best I'm gonna get without contributing to any big open source Python projects. I'm thinking of doing that, and I'm not looking to change jobs right now, so that's good enough for me.

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

Funambulist posted:

And for an actual question: how badly does not having professional experience with a language hurt you when you're applying somewhere that uses it? Specifically for junior roles. I use C++ at work and have a couple Python projects at decent levels of completion up on github, so I figure that hits the "can program competently" and "can use Python" boxes.

I'd say not that bad, especially if you've got a github with relevant stuff on it.

perfectfire
Jul 3, 2006

Bees!?
I just finished a pre-interview phone call with a google recruiter. She asked me if I knew any googlers. I said I couldn't think of any. Then in her follow-up email, that contained mostly interview prep material, she asked for this:

quote:

(1) list of any Googlers you may know, you may want to check your social media sites as well.

Is it super important to know someone that currently works for google if you are applying for a job there?

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug
I just got this email.

quote:

Hi <my name>,
Google is looking to grow it's presence in NYC and we're looking for a talented engineer to help guide our team and build/optimize some of our most important and massively scalable software applications. I like your background in C# development and your profile on Stackoverflow. The compensation package for this role is beyond excellent. Would you be open to discussing some options at Google? If so, please let me know the best number to reach you and a good time to talk for about 10 minutes when it’s convenient. Thanks!

It was sent via Linkedin (where I have a profile that hasn't been updated in about 8 years), but given that he knew that I'm a C# dev and that I'm active on Stack Overflow, I'll assume it's not a scam.

:woop:

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Ithaqua posted:

I just got this email.

It was sent via Linkedin (where I have a profile that hasn't been updated in about 8 years), but given that he knew that I'm a C# dev and that I'm active on Stack Overflow, I'll assume it's not a scam.

If it was a scam I'm guessing there would be/there will be some giant giveaway. "Why yes, Google does generally conduct its on-site interviews in empty warehouses in seedy parts of town. Why do you ask?" "To move forward with the interview process, please wire $500 to the following bank account:"

perfectfire posted:

I just finished a pre-interview phone call with a google recruiter. She asked me if I knew any googlers. I said I couldn't think of any. Then in her follow-up email, that contained mostly interview prep material, she asked for this:

Is it super important to know someone that currently works for google if you are applying for a job there?
The people I talked to said it was very helpful.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Cicero posted:

If it was a scam I'm guessing there would be/there will be some giant giveaway. "Why yes, Google does generally conduct its on-site interviews in empty warehouses in seedy parts of town. Why do you ask?" "To move forward with the interview process, please wire $500 to the following bank account:"

Yeah, that's what I figure. I bet they're just hiring C# devs to put in a carnival dunk tank in the break room.

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
Has anyone here interviewed at Facebook's NYC office?

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

Would love to hear more about software dev options in NYC outside of finance. I'm interning at Google this summer, but didn't hear anything from their NYC office. Would be interested to hear about Facebook and others (in particular for PhDs)

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Ithaqua posted:

Yeah, that's what I figure. I bet they're just hiring C# devs to put in a carnival dunk tank in the break room.

Once you're there, can you get me a dunk tank C# job?

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

a slime posted:

Would love to hear more about software dev options in NYC outside of finance. I'm interning at Google this summer, but didn't hear anything from their NYC office. Would be interested to hear about Facebook and others (in particular for PhDs)

NYC is huge. There are jobs in nearly every industry, and companies of every size. I once interviewed at a startup consisting of 3 people who worked out of a loft in Long Island City.

perfectfire
Jul 3, 2006

Bees!?

Cicero posted:

The people I talked to said it was very helpful.

In what way?

Ithaqua posted:

I just got this email.

So this is what it sounds like to actually be recruited rather than contacted en masse about a handful of generic job openings.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

perfectfire posted:

So this is what it sounds like to actually be recruited rather than contacted en masse about a handful of generic job openings.

Its fun until you get emails every month and then you'd rather it stop but in that vain "gosh, i wish all these people would stop noticing me" way.

Otto Skorzeny posted:

Has anyone here interviewed at Facebook's NYC office?

Yeah, why?

seiken
Feb 7, 2005

hah ha ha

perfectfire posted:

It's not super important. It's not going to be the decider in anything. But existing Googlers are generally assumed to know what they're talking about, and if one gives you a good write-up it's certainly a bonus. (Also, it benefits the Google recruiter to make sure you have the best possible chance.)

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

What's the market like in Boston? Is it mostly web development, cause that's the majority of the job postings I see.

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

FamDav posted:

Yeah, why?

One of their recruiters got in touch with me recently and I was looking for the lowdown on that office wrt. their interviews and the office culture in general beyond the basics I was able to glean from Glassdoor and similar sites.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
Okay.

Interview is a pretty standard set of five interviewers. The first person is the "Hey, tell me about yourself" interview and, at least in my case, had experience relevant to my work history. Then it was 4 interviews of coding/algo problems and systems design questions.

Its hard to glean tons of culture from a day of interviews. My impression was that they have a really good engineering team but they are still a very young company in terms of tooling and practices. I'm not sure how much more I can say since I'm just extrapolating from 7 hours of face time.

If you're interviewing, you should really interview at multiple places. A lot of it is "culture fit" and that what made me ultimately choose Amazon.

Safe and Secure!
Jun 14, 2008

OFFICIAL SA THREAD RUINER
SPRING 2013

FamDav posted:

systems design questions.

What does this mean, exactly? Questions to see if you know how operating systems, compilers, databases, etc. work, or questions like "how would you build Amazon?"

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
[resume redacted]

Thanks for the help Ithaqua.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Dec 13, 2013

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
It could be like that, or it could be more concrete, ex. I have a hundred million items in a map on a machine with 16 cores and I have several hundred entities who would like to modify this map. How to solve, please.

Algorithms questions tend towards being abstracted from hardware and other such concerns. That you answer them not in pseudocode is because the interviewer doesn't know your pseudocode and it gives them a chance to see you code. Systems design questions ask you to take actual hardware/real world concerns into account and build something that works.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Knyteguy posted:

Hey guys, I apologize for the repost but I'm not sure if this was seen since it was the last post of the last page. Does anyone mind giving my resume a quick critique? [redacted] I just updated it with a couple blog posts or whatever that I did. Just some quick input about what I'm saying would be cool. Thanks.

Honestly, it looks a little sparse. For the job sections, put bullet points. I want to be able to scan and see what you did without reading a lot.

New Yorp New Yorp fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Dec 13, 2013

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Ithaqua posted:

Honestly, it looks a little sparse. For the job sections, put bullet points. I want to be able to scan and see what you did without reading a lot.

Thanks; I went ahead and did this.

return0
Apr 11, 2007

FamDav posted:

It could be like that, or it could be more concrete, ex. I have a hundred million items in a map on a machine with 16 cores and I have several hundred entities who would like to modify this map. How to solve, please.

I've been a programmer for a while and think I'm reasonably good at it (self-aware Dunning-Kruger aside), but I hate interviews because of questions like this because it's like an internal monologue of "where are you going with this, obviously "synchronize writes somehow" but that might sound dumb hmmm...", interviews suck.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

I would remove the [Not Finished] from your education, the fact that you don't list that bit as "BS" or "Bachelor's" is sign enough that you don't have finished the degree.

Also this is mean but your college name sounds kind of redneck, perhaps you could petition them to change it to Worthingtonshire Community College?? :v:

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

return0 posted:

I've been a programmer for a while and think I'm reasonably good at it (self-aware Dunning-Kruger aside), but I hate interviews because of questions like this because it's like an internal monologue of "where are you going with this, obviously "synchronize writes somehow" but that might sound dumb hmmm...", interviews suck.

Sure, but what would you actually do? Why would you do it? What situations would it not make sense?

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Ithaqua posted:

I just got this email.

Big companies cast pretty wide nets - in terms of times I've gotten unsolicited offers, it goes "Amazon (5x) > Microsoft (3x) > Google (2x) > Apple(1x)."

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

This is probably the kind of job posting in my area that I qualify for. Does this look like a good posting to apply for? Should I just go ahead and do it? EDIT: This is also a good choice, I think. Is it appropriate for my skill level?

edit: Also, is it kosher to send a link to my online resume for web dev-related jobs, or should I stick to a PDF?

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Dec 13, 2013

a lovely poster
Aug 5, 2011

by Pipski

quote:

Have approximately 10 years experience of hands on development (server side, “core” rather than GUI)

Did you even read the posting? You need to be looking for entry level, if for jobs at all.

Amarkov
Jun 21, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

edit: Also, is it kosher to send a link to my online resume for web dev-related jobs, or should I stick to a PDF?

Why would you? What possible benefit could there be to doing that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rsjr
Nov 2, 2002

yay for protoss being so simple that retards can win with it

Pollyanna posted:

This is probably the kind of job posting in my area that I qualify for. Does this look like a good posting to apply for? Should I just go ahead and do it? EDIT: This is also a good choice, I think. Is it appropriate for my skill level?

Apply to the second job. And get in touch with a recruiter in Jacksonville. As bad as they are, when you're entry-level with no experience and a degree unrelated to the field, they'll do a much better job of landing you a position than you will browsing Dice.