Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Karl Sharks posted:

One thing I don't get, beyond the fact how stupid this is, is how is it a selfie if it's with other people? Selfies are just yourself, it's in the loving name. Otherwise it's called a "picture."

Selfie means you shot the picture yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Karl Sharks posted:

One thing I don't get, beyond the fact how stupid this is, is how is it a selfie if it's with other people? Selfies are just yourself, it's in the loving name. Otherwise it's called a "picture."

Settle down, grandpa.

(That's not how the word is used by, like, anyone)

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

Good Citizen posted:

Settle down, grandpa.

(That's not how the word is used by, like, anyone)

The only selfies I've ever seen are just the person by themself, taking it. :shrug:

Exhibit A:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FarGT40V8tc

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

radical meme posted:

Somebody please tell me what Levin says to him now that the deal has been announced. I can't listen in today but I really want to know how Levin insults Ryan cause its almost a guarantee he will.

Levin called the deal Mickey Mouse stuff, saying it was small time, and it gave the democrats short term spending increases for long term decreases that would never come to pass. He wasn't particularly rude, but he did get Ryan to squirm, at which point Ryan began to sound a little (more) petulant (than normal). It wasn't fireworks, but it was pretty great to see the GOP's supposed budget wonk get worked over from his own side by a B-grade pundit.

I think that's what's really going to kill the GOP, for a little while at least. They used to circle the wagons on poo poo like this. Five years ago, Levin wouldn't have dared question the compromise and would have given Ryan a soapbox from which to proclaim how soundly they had whipped the Democrats. Now, they still get in the circle, but they point their Winchesters inward instead of outward.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Phone posted:

So whoever said that there was going to be news about the photo of Obama taking a selfie with the PM of Denmark and Michelle looking FUKKEN MAD AS HELL was spot on. I saw it on one of the TVs at the karting place tonight.

I'm not sure if I should be in awe of the ridiculous poo poo that gets passed off as news in this country.

Be in awe

I mean if Obama talks about how good it is to breathe the right will say maybe it's not right to breathe and a lot of people will believe it

This is what we've been reduced to

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Here's the AP photographer talking about the selfie photo, in case you're curious.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

That link isn't working, i tried ap.com instead of afp.com and still no go.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Vertical Lime posted:

Be in awe

I mean if Obama talks about how good it is to breathe the right will say maybe it's not right to breathe and a lot of people will believe it

I'm sorry but that front page is totally awesome.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

joeburz posted:

That link isn't working, i tried ap.com instead of afp.com and still no go.

The AFP site seems to be having some issues right now, here's the Google cache version.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I don't have sound at work so I'm assuming it's Vampire Weekend. Please do not ruin this for me.

http://www.achewood.com/comic.php?date=03182002

kik2dagroin
Mar 23, 2007

Use the anger. Use it.
I eagerly await the :tinfoil: that will surround this blog post It will not be mentioned and the right-wing will continue their ragefest unabated until something else comes along
Really though, I am expecting today to focus on how butthurt Obummer is over Pope Francis being Time's Person of the Year.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

Joementum posted:

The AFP site seems to be having some issues right now, here's the Google cache version.

Thanks, most reasonable people figured this was already the case, but my facebook was littered with people so utterly disgusted that our president did something ordinary while being black.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Vertical Lime posted:

Be in awe

How do these loving people sleep at night god drat

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Warchicken posted:

How do these loving people sleep at night god drat

Is the cover supposed to further the "ANGRY BLACK LADY" trope that GOP media has been trying to do for years

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!
Man, I was going to be fine with the news cycle tearing the whole Castro handshake thing to pieces. At least that's actually kinda almost an actual foreign policy thing. That it managed to be knocked out of the cycle completely by something even more stupid and trivial is really vexing.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Being hopping mad about a website not working, getting upset somehow over selfies, not giving a poo poo about Nelson Mandela...

Maybe they're just writing off Millenials and going right for the generation after them?

The Angry Bum
Nov 10, 2005

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Being hopping mad about a website not working, getting upset somehow over selfies, not giving a poo poo about Nelson Mandela...

Maybe they're just writing off Millenials and going right for the generation after them?

Being hopping mad about a website not working managed to actually knock Obama's popularity down to his lowest levels and putting the Senate in danger of flipping in 2014. So why would they stop if they see these attacks are somewhat working? Keep the base energized.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

The Angry Bum posted:

Being hopping mad about a website not working managed to actually knock Obama's popularity down to his lowest levels and putting the Senate in danger of flipping in 2014. So why would they stop if they see these attacks are somewhat working? Keep the base energized.

Don't you ever get tired?

More on topic, I'm not sure how right-wing Politico is considered, but it looks like Mike Allen might have been taking some grift to push certain points of view.

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2013/12/politico-stonewalls-mike-allen-payola-scandal.html

Spun Dog fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Dec 11, 2013

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

The Angry Bum posted:

Yes, I'm terrified just thinking of the wave of newly elected US Senators who ran on "remember last year when that website wasn't working for a month?"

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

VitalSigns posted:

Of course, if it's a liberal area and LGBT activists organize a boycott of the business, then "I'm being bullied by hateful meanies for my beliefs! :qq:"

:ironicat:

*organizes boycott of Heinz ketchup*

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Limbaugh just said that the US is the only truly capitalist country in the entire world.

He seriously thinks his listeners are dumb as gently caress.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
To be fair, most of them probably are. :v:

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

mr. mephistopheles posted:

He seriously thinks his listeners are dumb as gently caress.

He's drat right.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

I had a few people on my Facebook feed posting about how "classless" the Obama selfie was and pontificating about how gross it is to make merry at funerals (never mind that it was a memorial service that by all reports was pretty celebratory in tone). So out of curiosity I googled "Presidents smiling at funerals" and lookie lookie what I found:

New York Daily News photo caption posted:

Appropriate? President George W. Bush posted this Instagram pic of him smiling with Bono at the Nelson Mandela memorial.

from http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/president-obama-poses-funeral-selfie-article-1.1543188

Of course, when I posted this in response, I got a whole bunch of "I'm not being political, I think it's bad whether it's a Democrat or a Republican who did it."

Right. :mmmhmm:

Hulk Krogan fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Dec 11, 2013

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

It's amazing how a few rightwing dumbshits complain about something and it becomes an "international incident" in the US media's eyes. What the gently caress.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'm more angry that Bono would take a pic with Bush. Not that I'm a Bono fan or anything like that but c'mon, have some self respect.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

The Ape of Naples posted:

I'm more angry that Bono would take a pic with Bush. Not that I'm a Bono fan or anything like that but c'mon, have some self respect.

Looking at the faces it's more of Bush taking the opportunity to get a picture with Bono. Bush is all excited and Bono is all "Oh, hey, I guess I'm in a picture with another famous dude."

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Hahaha, I wasn't really thinking of it from that perspective but Bono does seem to be in the middle of an "uhhh" that could possibly be followed by a "...how about we not take this picture".

Just close your eyes and think of his record on AIDS in Africa, Bonny.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

beatlegs posted:

It's amazing how a few rightwing dumbshits complain about something and it becomes an "international incident" in the US media's eyes. What the gently caress.

Which is funny because Limbaugh was saying the war on women was "media propaganda" similar to how when a Republican is president the media bitches about the economy non-stop (when? Bush Sr? certainly not Reagan or Bush Jr), but if you ask people if they are struggling directly nobody actually is. Similarly the media says sexism is all over but if you ask women directly, none of them have ever experienced any kind of hostility or condescension because of their gender. Which tells me Rush has never actually spoken to a woman beyond the word "cuanto."

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Hulk Krogan posted:

I had a few people on my Facebook feed posting about how "classless" the Obama selfie was and pontificating about how gross it is to make merry at funerals (never mind that it was a memorial service that by all reports was pretty celebratory in tone). So out of curiosity I googled "Presidents smiling at funerals" and lookie lookie what I found:

from http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/president-obama-poses-funeral-selfie-article-1.1543188

Of course, when I posted this in response, I got a whole bunch of "I'm not being political, I think it's bad whether it's a Democrat or a Republican who did it."

Right. :mmmhmm:

All part of Bush's policy of preemptive photobombing

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

The Ape of Naples posted:

IIRC, the two actually got to know each other back during the Bush Administration when Bono was pushing for 3rd World aid and debt relief. Wouldn't surprise me if they were still friendly.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Which is funny because Limbaugh was saying the war on women was "media propaganda" similar to how when a Republican is president the media bitches about the economy non-stop (when? Bush Sr? certainly not Reagan or Bush Jr), but if you ask people if they are struggling directly nobody actually is. Similarly the media says sexism is all over but if you ask women directly, none of them have ever experienced any kind of hostility or condescension because of their gender. Which tells me Rush has never actually spoken to a woman beyond the word "cuanto."

Limbaugh bitches about "the media" non-stop. As if he weren't even a part of it. Seriously, play this game: turn on his show and bet the over/under on how long it takes for him to mention/blame the media for something. He has his audience convinced that the entirety of the U.S. media is in the pocket of Democrats and that he alone will report the Real News.

Whenever something goes wrong in the right wing universe (meaning someone said, voted for or otherwise did something stupid and inexcusable), the go-to card is always "the media" and reporting "out of context".

kik2dagroin
Mar 23, 2007

Use the anger. Use it.

Rush Limbaugh posted:

Do you think Obama's upset that he didn't win the Man of the Year award from TIME? I mean, nobody outdoes him in anti-capitalism. And to lose to a guy who's pro-life? It's gotta be a huge insult to Obama. In case you haven't heard, Pope Francis was named the Man of the Year by TIME Magazine. I'm just wondering, folks, if I gave a speech on anti-capitalism, do you think I could be named Person of the Year by TIME Magazine? If I didn't change my view, if I remained anti-abortion, if I remained anti-gay marriage -- well, the pope certainly is. Do you realize what happened here?

This is phenomenal. I can't tell you the number of people -- I don't, frankly, believe this. I can't tell you the number of people who have gotten hold of me today who think the pope was named Man of the Year because of me. That the media decided they hated me more than the pope. That TIME Magazine hated me more than the pope, and therefore it was a thumb in my eye.

Now, I'm not a narcissist and I don't think everything's about me, but I can't tell you the number of people who've sent me notes: "Do you realize you made this happen? If you had not said a word about this, they would have picked somebody else like Snowden or take your pick." Who knows, ladies and gentlemen.

I actually thought it was gonna be Miley Cyrus until the pope came along with his anti-capitalist rant. But there are people, I'm telling you, that think I should be the co-recipient, that nobody would have even noticed what the pope had written about capitalism if it hadn't been for me. But I don't think that, ladies and gentlemen.
Ahahahaha, I can't even begin to imagine how he can deliver those lines with a straight face.

Also

kik2dagroin posted:

It will not be mentioned and the right-wing will continue their ragefest unabated until something else comes along
I was completely wrong about this. Limbaugh did spend 4 minutes focusing specifically on this, berating the 'idiot photographer' for daring to write such an apologetic article about one of the photos he took that day and explained how much better Bush was at behaving at funerals than Obama is. With a nice sprinkling of misogyny at the end :kimchi:

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

kik2dagroin posted:

Ahahahaha, I can't even begin to imagine how he can deliver those lines with a straight face.

A smug grin behind a golden microphone is hardly a straight face.

turnip kid
May 24, 2010
Glenn Beck is spittin' mad the liberals at Time picked Pope Francis over Ted Cruz. They BURIED him, the man that'll change the destiny of this country. His cohorts agreed, theorizing that it could've been a good thing for both Democrats and Republicans. Democrats HATE the man, and Republicans worship him. It's a win-win because of his influence, they say.

quote:

Just like his fellow conservative host Rush Limbaugh, Glenn Beck was not pleased with TIME Magazine’s decision to name Pope Francis I Person of the Year for 2013. But unlike Glenn Greenwald and countless other journalists, Beck didn’t think the honor should have gone to Edward Snowden. He had someone else in mind: Sen. Ted Cruz (R-TX).

Beck claimed that the only reason TIME didn’t put Cruz on its year-end cover was because they “didn’t want to give him anymore power.” Meanwhile, Beck admonished the magazine for making Adolf Hitler what was then called “Man of the Year” in 1938. He was also upset about the inclusion of Benito Mussolini, even though that never actually happened.

“Remember, progressives are fascist,” he reminded his audience. “They are for fascism.”

Despite the fact that Cruz made the official list of 10 finalists, Beck was convinced that “nobody seriously considered him.” That’s why Beck decided to spontaneously and unilaterally name Cruz his website’s “Man of the Year.”

TIME stresses that their annual honor goes to the person who “for better or for worse …has done the most to influence the events of the year.” So no matter which side you’re on, Cruz might not have been such a bad choice after all…

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/beck-fires-back-at-times-progressive-fascism-names-ted-cruz-his-man-of-the-year/

I think Beck's cohorts might be the most aggravating dummies on the radio. Their voices and constant Beck-worship infuriates me.

turnip kid fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Dec 11, 2013

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

lil mortimer posted:

Glenn Beck is spittin' mad the liberals at Time picked Pope Francis over Ted Cruz. They BURIED him, the man that'll change the destiny of this country. His cohorts agreed, theorizing that it could've been a good thing for both Democrats and Republicans. Democrats HATE the man, and Republicans worship him. It's a win-win because of his influence, they say.
Do Republicans really worship Cruz or is the old guard still afraid to be primaried out if they speak out against Tea Partiers like him?

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

lil mortimer posted:

TIME stresses that their annual honor goes to the person who “for better or for worse …has done the most to influence the events of the year.” So no matter which side you’re on, Cruz might not have been such a bad choice after all…

Bullshit. If that were the case we would've had Snowden this year (or at least "The NSA") and Osama Bin Laden in 2001.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
As a Time Person of the Year I can confirm that the selection process is indeed bullshit.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Acquilae posted:

Do Republicans really worship Cruz or is the old guard still afraid to be primaried out if they speak out against Tea Partiers like him?

Consider that Beck is a crazy Tea Partier who has probably never been truthful about anything and you'll get your answer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

BiggerBoat posted:

Limbaugh bitches about "the media" non-stop. As if he weren't even a part of it. Seriously, play this game: turn on his show and bet the over/under on how long it takes for him to mention/blame the media for something. He has his audience convinced that the entirety of the U.S. media is in the pocket of Democrats and that he alone will report the Real News.

Whenever something goes wrong in the right wing universe (meaning someone said, voted for or otherwise did something stupid and inexcusable), the go-to card is always "the media" and reporting "out of context".

The fact that there exist media outlets reporting news other than their daily talking points is media bias by their definition. When my local radio clowns share the day's talking points with the listener, like it's some kind of inside scoop and definitely not the same thing Rush, Hannity, and Levin are saying in a different timeslot, they always preface it by saying that the mainstream media isn't covering it. And it's entirely true, because the 'mainstream media' consists of lots of unrelated organizations that don't receive the daily RNC talking points. The existence of any news at all other than their talking points is an example of bias.

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Dec 12, 2013