Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Haydez posted:

And also make sure to whitelist @stanly.edu or frequently check your spam folder.

I'm in the current course and have been done with the labs for like two weeks now. I think the course is over but I'm not even sure. There's been like 2 e-emails from the instructor and the discussion forums never even opened up for the course. Don't think I learned anything from the course but hey, at least I can sit for the VCP.

Yeah, I'm the same way. The Sybex book is full of stuff that was never even touched in the course. It's criminal that people would pay out of pocket for the level of education they get at any price of more than what a Stanly student paid. I'm crushing down on the book to crunch and homelab as much as I can before the new year, when people say that the 5.5 content comes in - I hope I'm misinformed on that, but still, bleh on the course now and forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Ugggh. Coming down to the last 45 days before my CCNA expires. CCNP ROUTE just went from "study at your own pace" to "do this poo poo in a month" :smith:

Though to be fair I am probably more than ready. I've been studying it off and on for three years, I just haven't had the drive to get up and do it because of other things.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
I think need to make a shittier lab for myself so I spend less time tinkering with poo poo and more time focusing the objectives of the certification I am going for.

That way I am not going building these complex environments that have little to do with the cert I am going for.

Oh Jeez Lemme see if I can just do this, if I can do that maybe I can do this as well, and now it is past 10.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Trying not to spend $1400 on a 2nd lab box which would have 64gb of RAM. Between that and the existing, oh the things I could lab...

I'll ask a question which might be unanswerable but the worst that happens is that I'm told it's against the NDA and it's all good. For the VCP, do I need to worry about a lot of version specific configuration information? The test is on 5.1, but the latest documentation is on 5.5 - it's not a matter of me needing the 5.1, I simply want to spend this final month studying 5.5 if it's not going to hurt me, because that info is going to be relevant longer. At the same time, I don't want to know that the maximum size of a VMDK is 62TB and forget what it used to be, if the test expects me to know that it's 2TB.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

Martytoof posted:

Ugggh. Coming down to the last 45 days before my CCNA expires. CCNP ROUTE just went from "study at your own pace" to "do this poo poo in a month" :smith:

Though to be fair I am probably more than ready. I've been studying it off and on for three years, I just haven't had the drive to get up and do it because of other things.

CCDA is one you can probably knock out in a week of studying, and it will refresh your CCNA, if you don't feel like doing ROUTE under a time crunch.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

MJP posted:

Yeah, I'm the same way. The Sybex book is full of stuff that was never even touched in the course. It's criminal that people would pay out of pocket for the level of education they get at any price of more than what a Stanly student paid. I'm crushing down on the book to crunch and homelab as much as I can before the new year, when people say that the 5.5 content comes in - I hope I'm misinformed on that, but still, bleh on the course now and forever.

I think the instructor is very much hands-off other than the videos, but at least he responds (not replies) when you email him. I'm pretty sure I'm finished with everything, but he never answered my question about if it would be possible to reset the lab after I completed the whole thing, and what terrifies me is that he went ahead and reset it but never said anything, just like he opened the last couple modules after I asked him and never emailed me.

Edward_Lapine
Jan 21, 2011

I thought you were actually gay, I mean...
So did I, for a bit, but then I found out about the prohibitive standards of hygiene, and all that DANCING!
Okay, so this is my first time posting in this sub forum, and I apologize for asking a dumb question regarding CCENT/CCNA.

From age 6 I've loved computers and was a computer geek all the way up to adulthood. Lots of stuff happened and I ended up as a paramedic. I'm starting to get sick of healthcare, and now that I'm older and more mature I can devote time to study networking and have the motivation to do so. For a good month now I've been studying for the CCENT/CCNA with a handful of resources such as CBT Nuggets videos, "CCNA in 60 Days", and a friend who's in networking to rack his brain. I've been studying hard for the past month or so and I've learned so much. I gathered taking the two test route is better than the combined option. So, already getting bored with the book reviews, breezing through subnetting, and just swiftly maneuvering around in labs in Cisco Packet Tracer, I decided to schedule the ICND1 test 2 weeks from now and bought practice tests off of MeasureUp.

From doing the practice tests and finding "dumps", they're covering a lot of topics I thought was reserved for CCNA like access lists, IPv6, STP, routing protocols like OSPF, EIGRP, and more complicated Vlan set ups. I never learned any of that from the study content I was learning from and needless to say I'm getting anxious that I won't be ready for this test. The practice tests do give detailed rationale for answers which helps learn about the topics I didn't learn but I fear that's almost as bad as just dumb memorization brain dumps.

Will I be okay for ICND1? Did I learn from terrible sources? Any suggestions? :ohdear:

LATE EDIT NO ONE WILL SEE BUT WHATEVER: I passed my ICND1 the other day! Thanks for the help! :supaburn:

Edward_Lapine fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Jan 8, 2014

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Maybe double check that the materials you've been studying are up to date for the new CCENT/CCNA exams that recently came out? They have exam numbers like 100-101 and 200-101.

Protokoll
Mar 28, 2003

Here we go Lina.
Here we go Lina.
COME ON, LINA!

Edward_Lapine posted:

Okay, so this is my first time posting in this sub forum, and I apologize for asking a dumb question regarding CCENT/CCNA.

From age 6 I've loved computers and was a computer geek all the way up to adulthood. Lots of stuff happened and I ended up as a paramedic. I'm starting to get sick of healthcare, and now that I'm older and more mature I can devote time to study networking and have the motivation to do so. For a good month now I've been studying for the CCENT/CCNA with a handful of resources such as CBT Nuggets videos, "CCNA in 60 Days", and a friend who's in networking to rack his brain. I've been studying hard for the past month or so and I've learned so much. I gathered taking the two test route is better than the combined option. So, already getting bored with the book reviews, breezing through subnetting, and just swiftly maneuvering around in labs in Cisco Packet Tracer, I decided to schedule the ICND1 test 2 weeks from now and bought practice tests off of MeasureUp.

From doing the practice tests and finding "dumps", they're covering a lot of topics I thought was reserved for CCNA like access lists, IPv6, STP, routing protocols like OSPF, EIGRP, and more complicated Vlan set ups. I never learned any of that from the study content I was learning from and needless to say I'm getting anxious that I won't be ready for this test. The practice tests do give detailed rationale for answers which helps learn about the topics I didn't learn but I fear that's almost as bad as just dumb memorization brain dumps.

Will I be okay for ICND1? Did I learn from terrible sources? Any suggestions? :ohdear:

All of OSPF except the "troubleshooting" portion (so, basically all of OSPF) is on the new ICND1. ACLs are definitely on ICND1. The only large topic domains that are on ICND2 that ARE NOT on ICND1 are Frame Relay, EIGRP and "advanced" STP. Oh, and IPv6 routing protocols, but they're basically the same as their v4 equivalent at the CCNA level. Look at the new blueprint.

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

I'm gunna kill you BITCH!!!

Edward_Lapine posted:

If you're coming from a non-technical (in a professional sense) background, have you been studying for the past month like it's a job or just off and on? These certs aren't meant to be a cakewalk, especially if you don't have an experience. I would highly suggest delaying your test a bit and really go over what you're trying to learn.

Consider that certs are just to get you through the door (past HR). Honestly, if you're not intimately comfortable with the subject matter (especially if you have no experience) your technical interview will not be very fun...

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Has anyone gone through IBM PowerSystems on IBM I[as400] training?

I'm picking as400 sysadmin duties at my new gig and I've got a test box but holy hell this is nothing like windows or the most under-heard of Linux distribution. The worst part is I'm expected to pick it up without any formal training and after a week googling isn't returning legible answers...

I know there are classes available but these are a few grand each and most as400 books seem geared toward rpg programming...

Help :(

Edward_Lapine
Jan 21, 2011

I thought you were actually gay, I mean...
So did I, for a bit, but then I found out about the prohibitive standards of hygiene, and all that DANCING!
Wow, thanks for the responses!

I suppose I'll delay the exam some then and focus on the things I mentioned I had no clue about. Perhaps I am learning from older material. I'll look into the book the OP mentions. :(

I have been studying hard for this, usually devoting 4+ hours everyday like the "CCNA in 60 Days" instructs you too, and with being a paramedic I do get a decent amount of downtime to read from the book, watch videos, and do the labs on my netbook. Aside from working in a Staples as a teenager, fixing friends/family's computers, and getting the A+ cert way back in 2004, I never had a legit IT job.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Edward_Lapine posted:

I suppose I'll delay the exam some then and focus on the things I mentioned I had no clue about. Perhaps I am learning from older material. I'll look into the book the OP mentions. :(

I have been studying hard for this, usually devoting 4+ hours everyday like the "CCNA in 60 Days" instructs you too, and with being a paramedic I do get a decent amount of downtime to read from the book, watch videos, and do the labs on my netbook. Aside from working in a Staples as a teenager, fixing friends/family's computers, and getting the A+ cert way back in 2004, I never had a legit IT job.

It really sounds like you had the old version of the test for the study materials.

You want the one that is 100-101 or something, not 640-xxx

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

Edward_Lapine posted:

Keep at it, depending on where you land it's either a great field or a great way to learn how to drink scotch! (sometimes both)

The NPC
Nov 21, 2010

I just wrote and passed the 074-409 after watching the jump start stream the other week. I'd say that it covered less than half of what I was asked. Lots of very technical and in depth questions.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Welp. Booked CCNP ROUTE for Jan 8. Don't really have a choice. Have to pass it first go or I'll have to re-take my CCNA. Not terribly worried, just annoyed at myself that I put it off this long. I guess I'm getting the most out of my 3 year CCNA period though :q:

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
Stupid question:

I teach networking 1 and 2 for my high school. We use Cisco Discovery 1 and 2 respectively for the courses. Can I pass the CEENT and how far am I from the CCNA?

Strengths
I know Discovery 1 inside and out (Home networking)
I know Discovery 2 about 90% (Small-Medium businesses)
I know Subnetting, IOS Routers commands, BGP, basic concepts
I can take an address and implement a network with subnets including wireless
I have 2900's routers with a few modules and switches (don't know the number)

Weakness
Weak on switches
Weak on everything else in the world
No industry experience

temple fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Dec 5, 2013

Protokoll
Mar 28, 2003

Here we go Lina.
Here we go Lina.
COME ON, LINA!
Do you know everything on the blueprint? If so, take the test. If not, study what you don't know.

chestnut santabag
Jul 3, 2006

Martytoof posted:

Welp. Booked CCNP ROUTE for Jan 8. Don't really have a choice. Have to pass it first go or I'll have to re-take my CCNA. Not terribly worried, just annoyed at myself that I put it off this long. I guess I'm getting the most out of my 3 year CCNA period though :q:

And if you do pass ROUTE then you can wait out another 3 years to do SWITCH :v:

CCIE v5 was officially announced by Cisco a few days ago with the written and lab exam being available from 4 June 2014.
CCIE v4 will be retired the day before so if anybody is currently studying for CCIE - particularly the written exam - then they may want to wait to write the new version.
My CCNP was due to expire this Saturday and I found out on Tuesday that the 1 year re-certification grace period only applies to CCIE so I had to write TSHOOT in quite a frenzy.
I was hoping to re-certify by writing the CCIE written exam but just haven't had the time to study properly nor did finding out that I had been misinformed about the grace period applying to other certifications help much.
But seeing the topics for the new CCIE, I'm definitely going to attempt it particularly as they've done away with stuff that I'm not too familiar with (like frame relay) and added stuff that I am familiar with (like IOS compared to IOS XE and VSS).

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

Comradephate posted:

CCDA is one you can probably knock out in a week of studying, and it will refresh your CCNA, if you don't feel like doing ROUTE under a time crunch.

From what I've heard the new CCDA is completely rewritten and not the cakewalk everybody expects it to be. Just FYI in case anybody else is taking it. Much more focused on technical design instead of best *sales* practices.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

chestnut santabag posted:

And if you do pass ROUTE then you can wait out another 3 years to do SWITCH :v:

My plan was to do CCNP-SP so I probably won't do SWITCH :q:

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Is CCNA: Security even worth taking, or is it nothing but ASAs?

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

The NPC posted:

I just wrote and passed the 074-409 after watching the jump start stream the other week. I'd say that it covered less than half of what I was asked. Lots of very technical and in depth questions.

This is what I was afraid of.

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER

psydude posted:

Is CCNA: Security even worth taking, or is it nothing but ASAs?

CCNA:Security is CCP, ACLs, access control, ACS, IOS IPS, IOS firewall(CCP), ASA, site-to-site VPNs (ASA and IOS) and RA VPNs (ASA). It is a IOS-heavy cert, much more so than ASA. In terms of practical knowledge, there really isn't any aside from how VPNs work. It is a product catalog with some tasks included for legitimacy. The cert is a requirement for CCNP:Security, but if you don't work with ASAs already, that's an uphill battle.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Contingency posted:

CCNA:Security is CCP, ACLs, access control, ACS, IOS IPS, IOS firewall(CCP), ASA, site-to-site VPNs (ASA and IOS) and RA VPNs (ASA). It is a IOS-heavy cert, much more so than ASA. In terms of practical knowledge, there really isn't any aside from how VPNs work. It is a product catalog with some tasks included for legitimacy. The cert is a requirement for CCNP:Security, but if you don't work with ASAs already, that's an uphill battle.

I wouldn't say that it's a "product catalog" cert the way, say, the VCA is. I definitely learned a lot of little things about ACLs and best security practices, but it is certainly a lot more basic than the CCNA:R&S for example.

It took me like a month to study for it, and I don't regret it at all.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
If anyone needs anyone from the Stanely VCP course needs a 'study buddy' let me know, I don't mind helping out on the weekends.

Haydez
Apr 8, 2003

EVIL LINK
and speaking of the Stanley course, don't buy the book. What a waste of money that was. Buy one of the VCP books like the VCP Study guide or something.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Haydez posted:

and speaking of the Stanley course, don't buy the book. What a waste of money that was. Buy one of the VCP books like the VCP Study guide or something.

I haven't seen the other books out there but I've been going out of the Sybex book. Covers a lot, but it reads like an MS Press book - an extended technical manual with walkthroughs, not really as good of a learning tool as William Panek's books or ExamPrep/ExamCram.

Gweenz
Jan 27, 2011
What is everyone's opinion on Testout, as far as passing the Security + exam? We were required to purchase it through school for a Network Security class, but I'm not sure if I should get more material.

penga86
Aug 26, 2003

GIG 'EM

Gweenz posted:

What is everyone's opinion on Testout, as far as passing the Security + exam? We were required to purchase it through school for a Network Security class, but I'm not sure if I should get more material.

This used to be the end all be all for the Security+ test. Not sure if it still is. I bought the Kindle edition many moons ago but never took the test as I didn't enjoy IT Security after working in it for a short stint.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

The Army will pay for it I do a bunch of online CBT followed by an actual week long course. Mine is expiring in 8 months, and I'm trying to decide whether it's worth going through all of that effort to save $300 when I could just read the book for the most recent version and pass it again in a week.

psydude fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Dec 7, 2013

TKovacs2
Sep 21, 2009

1991, 1992, 2009 = Woooooooooooo

penga86 posted:

This used to be the end all be all for the Security+ test. Not sure if it still is. I bought the Kindle edition many moons ago but never took the test as I didn't enjoy IT Security after working in it for a short stint.

It still is, at least as of May this year. It's the only study material I used and I passed it on my first try.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
So, trying to finish up the Stanly course, kinda stuck on the DRS section. I'm at the point where I'm getting DRS to balance the load, and... it's just not working. I've got both VMs at 100% CPU, which is putting the host load standard deviation at .5, and the target is less than .05. But even though DRS knows it's imbalanced, it won't recommend any changes. I can just skip it and go on because I understand what's going on, but what the hell is happening?

E: Ugh, both guests had an ISO attached that was on a datastore that was only on host 1, fixed it.

FISHMANPET fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Dec 10, 2013

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Is there any practice tests or anything for the VCP5? I just finished the Stanly course and it felt like a giant rubber stamp to me, so if the test is at that level then I should sit it right now.

On the other hand, I skipped watching the lectures, but I've been running VMware for a couple of years now so nothing in the labs was new to me.

Basically, not sure how to approach actually taking the VCP5 test.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Haven't taken the test, but it's my understanding it's harder than the class and the standard book. I'll be going through the blueprint personally, not sure I'll spend the money on a test engine or anything for it.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I'll ask a question which might be unanswerable but the worst that happens is that I'm told it's against the NDA and it's all good. For the VCP, do I need to worry about a lot of version specific configuration information?

There were shockingly few config maximum style questions when I took it, for either version.

Wanted to mention this deal for aspiring VCPs: https://www.vmwarecertificationmarketplace.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=140

For $210 you get 30 days access to what I found was a good-but-not-amazing test bank, a test voucher, and a retake if you fail. Only thing is you need to take your first test by Dec 31. But if you're nearly ready, it's not a bad deal.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

FISHMANPET posted:

Is there any practice tests or anything for the VCP5? I just finished the Stanly course and it felt like a giant rubber stamp to me, so if the test is at that level then I should sit it right now.

On the other hand, I skipped watching the lectures, but I've been running VMware for a couple of years now so nothing in the labs was new to me.

Basically, not sure how to approach actually taking the VCP5 test.

http://mylearn.vmware.com/mgrSurvey/assess.cfm?item=24908&refer=0&p=0&ui=www_cert

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Just a heads-up for the Stanly alum - the VMware store has MASSIVE discounts on the exam. I took that deal on the practice exam and it feels braindumpy - I mean, yes, it's an official VMware cert store but it doesn't really cover context like the Sybex book.

After seeing the gap between the course and the book, it is a 100% confirmation that the course is but a rubber stamp. I wouldn't jump right into the exam if all you've done is the course, and I was in the lectures as well as all the quizzes and labs.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

MJP posted:

Just a heads-up for the Stanly alum - the VMware store has MASSIVE discounts on the exam. I took that deal on the practice exam and it feels braindumpy - I mean, yes, it's an official VMware cert store but it doesn't really cover context like the Sybex book.

After seeing the gap between the course and the book, it is a 100% confirmation that the course is but a rubber stamp. I wouldn't jump right into the exam if all you've done is the course, and I was in the lectures as well as all the quizzes and labs.

Yeah the vouchers for EDU students should make the exam something like 62 or 67 dollars. That practice from vmware is really similar to how questions are worded on the exam the pool is only like 80 but yeah don't focus on the Q&A as much as what areas they cover and how questions are constructed.

http://www.simonlong.co.uk/blog/vcp5-practice-exams/

and there is this, I've worked on a bunch of the notes with hersey on this http://www.vhersey.com/vcp5-study/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

MJP posted:

So should we be able to access the Stanly VM store now, or does it become available after the class is over? And how do I find the EDU vouchers for the reduced cost exam?