Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

bobkatt013 posted:

Swamp Thing killed Jesus, or he should have. He was going to be the cross.

I always knew Swamp Thing was an atheist. He has all the stereotypes, being a shambling heap of muck barely capable of functioning with humans. Also, a symbiotic relationship with chlorophyll and plant life. Just like a typical atheist neckbeard.

Dungeons and Dragons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

CharlestheHammer posted:

He will also use bears to kill children if you make fun of his peeps.

Edit: I mean that is technically that was God but I am evoking the trinity here. Suck it Arians.

Technically it was actually punk teenagers, but the word Youths has shifted meaning in the last 400+ years.

Basically the Sharks were hassling Elisha with switchblades, little realizing that God has an issue with escalation.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I know it's from The Demon v3 but I'm not sure which issue

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Uthor posted:

Bentley drilled a hole to spy on the ladies of the FF bathing next door.

"Not spawning time."

FF 14
Is the red guy drowning a cat? Or is that an alien cat from a planet and/or dimension where cats love bathing?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
It's a miniaturized Tiger, I think Tiger's love water.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Gatts posted:

Jesus would be dismissed as another mutant or metahuman only delusional.

Bendis straight up claimed Moses was a psycho with Sentry-level powers who caused the plagues himself.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

ImpAtom posted:

The best Captain Marvel comic cover.

Can't wait to see this guy fight The Atom.

:haw:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Hollismason posted:

It's a miniaturized Tiger, I think Tiger's love water.

Yeah, tigers love water. Tigers and Maine Coons.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Can't wait to see this guy fight The Atom.

:haw:

I finally get that TMBG song.

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010

Mr. Maltose posted:

Technically it was actually punk teenagers, but the word Youths has shifted meaning in the last 400+ years.

Basically the Sharks were hassling Elisha with switchblades, little realizing that God has an issue with escalation.

It's worse than that, actually. All they did was mock Elisha for being bald. Then, she-bear vengeance.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Depends on the translation, really. That's certainly how it went down in King James' Book, though.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

GorfZaplen posted:

Who wrote this, Matt Wagner? I know he wrote an Etrigan series at one point. Also, this is awesome.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

GorfZaplen posted:

Etrigan is like his own walking soundbite machine.

Matte Black
Sep 5, 2006
some guy

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Who wrote this, Matt Wagner? I know he wrote an Etrigan series at one point.

Dwayne McDuffie wrote it in a short arc in the middle of Alan Grant's run on the Demon.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Male Man posted:

In a more perfect world there's a series where Thor, Jesus, and Hercules are forced to share an apartment.

How about Jesus and Buddha?

From Saint Young Men, a buddy comedy about Jesus and Buddha sharing an apartment in modern-day Tokyo.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Endless Mike posted:

He also has healing powers almost as good as Elixir!

People always seem to forget the raise the dead and control the weather part of Jesus' power set. They always seem to focus on the aquawalking and the food duplication.

edit: It's also heavily implied that he teleported a boat

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Nipponophile posted:

From Saint Young Men, a buddy comedy about Jesus and Buddha sharing an apartment in modern-day Tokyo.

Buddha has a statue of himself in his apartment?

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

theflyingorc posted:

People always seem to forget the raise the dead and control the weather part of Jesus' power set. They always seem to focus on the aquawalking and the food duplication.

edit: It's also heavily implied that he teleported a boat

And iirc in the more esoteric texts describing his childhood pre-faith dedication (like, under 10) he does some weird miracles. At one point his step-dad mis-cuts some lumber to be too short, and Jesus just like, stretches it for him. Also, there's the story of the first time he brought someone back from the dead. he and a friend were playing on a rooftop, and he accidentally knocks the other boy off, killing him (yes, Jesus straight up commits involuntary manslaughter) When the villagers get up in arms he's all "No, I didn't kill him, did I?" and ta-da! Kid is up and fine again.

Jesus: The original Dennis the Menace.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

prefect posted:

Buddha has a statue of himself in his apartment?

He won it at some festival or something not knowing that it was the prize, and specifically lamented that people would think he's conceited.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Choco1980 posted:

And iirc in the more esoteric texts describing his childhood pre-faith dedication (like, under 10) he does some weird miracles. At one point his step-dad mis-cuts some lumber to be too short, and Jesus just like, stretches it for him. Also, there's the story of the first time he brought someone back from the dead. he and a friend were playing on a rooftop, and he accidentally knocks the other boy off, killing him (yes, Jesus straight up commits involuntary manslaughter) When the villagers get up in arms he's all "No, I didn't kill him, did I?" and ta-da! Kid is up and fine again.

Jesus: The original Dennis the Menace.

Listen buddy, there's a reason most of the gnostic texts are NOT IN CANON, all that stuff was written WAAAAAY after the original stories and was basically wiped out during the Crisis at Infinite Nicea.

Nicea's importance to canonization is popularly over-attributed, but it made the joke work

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I dunno man, I kinda like the idea of Saviorboy becoming a character in the New 27...

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

theflyingorc posted:

Crisis at Infinite Nicea.

Someone please draw this as fanart, tia

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Metal Loaf posted:

When he was writing Ghost Rider back in the 1970s, Tony Isabella introduced a character called the Friend who he was going to reveal was Jesus, but the idea was nixed before he could finish it.

Nixed by Shooter, what a loving surprise.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Nipponophile posted:

Saint Young men is really good, y'all. It features Buddha being afraid to use Facebook because he's afraid Judas will try to friend him if he friends Jesus(the guy creeps him out).

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Superior Foes of Spider-Man #6 describing the origin of the painting of an unmasked Dr. Doom and why this is the best book Marvel is putting out.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

SilverSupernova posted:

Superior Foes of Spider-Man #6 describing the origin of the painting of an unmasked Dr. Doom and why this is the best book Marvel is putting out.

You know it will later be revealed that that's a Doombot, right? :)

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Awww. Doom's mother is also dead and her soul in hell...I think...RICHARDS! :doom:

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

theflyingorc posted:

IUG was quoting a bit from a Patton Oswalt stand-up routine. The premise of the bit is that Jesus would be too humble to mention any of his good powers if he was a super-hero.

notthegoatseguy posted:

Nixed by Shooter, what a loving surprise.

He made the right choice. Marvel already had Eternity and Galactus and the Celestials. Adding a real world religious figure to that would just be tacky. I still can't believe that DC is tasteless enough to have the Phantom Stranger's secret identity be Judas Iscariot.

Although Mark Gruenwald did have Thor beat up the Hindu pantheon once.

Thor #301

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

SilverSupernova posted:

What happens next?!

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Servoret posted:

He made the right choice. Marvel already had Eternity and Galactus and the Celestials. Adding a real world religious figure to that would just be tacky. I still can't believe that DC is tasteless enough to have the Phantom Stranger's secret identity be Judas Iscariot.

Are you sure about that?

:ssh: DC has at least four official origins for The Phantom Stranger. He won't tell which one is true, if any of them.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Choco1980 posted:

Are you sure about that?

:ssh: DC has at least four official origins for The Phantom Stranger. He won't tell which one is true, if any of them.

Welcome to the new 52

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

prefect posted:

You know it will later be revealed that that's a Doombot, right? :)

It's just an rear end in a top hat telling a story in universe already. Doombot or not, I'm guessing those things were not actually said.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

WickedHate posted:

It's just an rear end in a top hat telling a story in universe already. Doombot or not, I'm guessing those things were not actually said.

Sorry; was just trying to make a joke. :shobon:

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Servoret posted:

Although Mark Gruenwald did have Thor beat up the Hindu pantheon once.

Thor #301

That's gotta be Keith Pollard doing the pencils, I'd recognize those stylized angular poses anywhere. Wonder what he does nowadays?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

prefect posted:

Sorry; was just trying to make a joke. :shobon:

You have my sincere apologies. :ohdear:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Another great part of that issue is what exactly Boomerang does to hide the painting in his apartment.

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

Oh, Ho-oh oh oh, oh whoa oh oh oh
I'll get 'em caught, show Oak what I've got
Demon v3 was pretty good, you guys. Certainly better than any Demon series since.

Demon #13, obviously

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

redbackground posted:

What happens next?!

Doom wakes up in his Fantastic 4 logo boxers, looks at the painting of a single tear going down his (possibly horrifically scarred, possibly minorly bruised) face.
And then:

SilverSupernova fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Dec 11, 2013

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.
It is really, really hard to pick one page or sequence from that issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

SilverSupernova posted:

Doom wakes up in his Fantastic 4 logo boxers, looks at the painting of a single tear going down his (possibly horrifically scarred, possibly minorly bruised) face.
And then:

I love that the artist just stood there waiting while Doom wheeled in his giant moon-laser model death ray.

• Locked thread