Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
If you want to go middle of the road, you could definitely give away Wales and Scotland, and keep England and Ireland for yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

DStecks posted:

How do you create a lowborn character through modding? I seem to only be able to create one with a random dynasty, or my own.

Simple! Just set "Dynasty = 0".

I'm trying out the new "add_matrilineal_spouse" history feature and it doesn't seem to work right. Any thoughts?

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

DrSunshine posted:

Simple! Just set "Dynasty = 0".

Nope, that creates a character of my dynasty.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Piell posted:

If you want to go middle of the road, you could definitely give away Wales and Scotland, and keep England and Ireland for yourself.

I will try doing that, as I kind of don't want to give away Ireland for rp reasons. My culture may be Greek but it's still my homeland drat it!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

DStecks posted:

Nope, that creates a character of my dynasty.

Ah, woops. "dynasty = none", not dynasty = 0. That's straight from the "peasant rebel leader" events.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Eimi posted:

Well my Irish vassals haven't given me any trouble. It's my English and Scottish ones who keep rebelling/have a low opinion of me, largely because they desire the crown of those countries.

As well on the topic of realm organization, I have everything organized into duchies and such. I did it just because I like things to be neat and organized and it makes the map look pretty. And when I become an emperor, do I destroy my king titles?

How you organize an empire is largely up to you. Kings, being stronger than dukes, are somewhat more dangerous to deal with, and there's no penalty for holding lots of kingdoms like there is for holding duchies, so some people advocate holding all the king titles yourself and just dealing with individual dukes forever. However, it's much more convenient to manage relationships, levies, and assassinations with four kings than it is to deal with twenty dukes, and that'll only become more important as your empire grows. Personally, I like a half-and-half approach - big kingdoms like England that are strong enough to seriously challenge the whole rest of the empire should be kept in your own possession as the core of your power base, while weaker kingdoms like Wales can safely be parceled out to vassals.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

The real problems start to come when your kings start marrying into each others' families. I'm not paying attention, and the next thing I know the King of Britanny inherits the Kingdom of Germany. :argh:

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

DrSunshine posted:

Ah, woops. "dynasty = none", not dynasty = 0. That's straight from the "peasant rebel leader" events.

Thanks!

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!
One advantage of having king vassals is that they never desire the Empire of XYZ, whereas dukes will desire the Kingdom of ABC. Eliminates one negative malus, at least.

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
The other option is to destroy king titles, right?

I gave away a bunch of King Titles in my Venice game because I wasn't comfortable destroying the titles and also because I didn't want to have to manage 100+ vassals. I still have an absurd amount of vassals though, because not every duke fits into a Kingdom (I have yet to create the other kingdoms because I haven't conquered the rest, and I'm not giving existing kingdoms more power).

Also you apparently can't give away the Kingdom your title is based on? (e.g. When I was Carpathia I could not give away Hungary; When I switched to Arabia, I could. Not sure if I can switch back to Carpathia, and if I did, whether or not I could then give away whatever Arabia is based on).

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

Was your capital in Hungary? I think that would stop that from being possible. Yeah you can destroy kingdom titles but that's an enormous pain, costs money and pisses off all de jure vassals of that title. So I guess you could if your guy's been in power for 50+ years but otherwise...

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
No, my capital is in Venice and I can't move it because I am a Republic.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

How do you manage to get a title to be inheritrd to either you or a family member on the heirs sept exactly, i keep forgetting how it works.

Arbitrary Coin
Feb 17, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

ChaseSP posted:

How do you manage to get a title to be inheritrd to either you or a family member on the heirs sept exactly, i keep forgetting how it works.

Well, this would depend on the succession laws, though usually stabbing people ahead of your heir tends to work wel.

As the Emperor of Britannia, what duchies would you recommend I hold? I started as Dublin and a succession of almighty god kings means that it has tech levels in the 20's right before 1200, so I don't really want to give it up. I currently hold Meath, Munster and Essex.

I hold all the crowns except for Wales and am on elective, so I plan on switching the Empire title to Tanistry to try and reduce the Elector Titles held malus for my female heir. Would this help? (I am a long reigning 30+ diplomacy god king with a close to 30 dip chancellor who is the most prestigious person in the world, so I'm not too worried about my current guy. Hell, he's even possesed and the dukes with the lowest opinion of him are in the 30 range)

Also, I somehow ended up with the county of Paris after invading England and its bordered on one side by the Kingdom of France/Aquitaine (though the Duchy of Aquitaine is held by the HRE) while the rest of the duchy is held my vassals of various Spanish Kingdoms. Should I bother holding it?

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em

alcaras posted:

No, my capital is in Venice and I can't move it because I am a Republic.

As a republic, I think you can't give away kingdoms that contain your primary's title default capital.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Arbitrary Coin posted:

Well, this would depend on the succession laws, though usually stabbing people ahead of your heir tends to work wel.

As the Emperor of Britannia, what duchies would you recommend I hold? I started as Dublin and a succession of almighty god kings means that it has tech levels in the 20's right before 1200, so I don't really want to give it up. I currently hold Meath, Munster and Essex.

I hold all the crowns except for Wales and am on elective, so I plan on switching the Empire title to Tanistry to try and reduce the Elector Titles held malus for my female heir. Would this help? (I am a long reigning 30+ diplomacy god king with a close to 30 dip chancellor who is the most prestigious person in the world, so I'm not too worried about my current guy. Hell, he's even possesed and the dukes with the lowest opinion of him are in the 30 range)

Also, I somehow ended up with the county of Paris after invading England and its bordered on one side by the Kingdom of France/Aquitaine (though the Duchy of Aquitaine is held by the HRE) while the rest of the duchy is held my vassals of various Spanish Kingdoms. Should I bother holding it?

It doesn't really matter that much specifically what you do and don't hold - what's important is that you're stronger than your vassals, and that you can take anyone who might have a claim on the territory. For duchies, just pick two good ones in your de jure territory.

As for Paris, it could be either an opportunity or an albatross. If you can take on the other kingdoms controlling the rest of the duchy, you might be able to grab another county or two and usurp it, then grab the rest of the duchy and see whether you can expand from there. If you can't take them, on the other hand, eventually someone with a personal or de jure claim will declare a war for it. If you don't feel like bothering with it and you don't really have any continental ambitions that would benefit from a foothold on the continent, it might be neat to hand it off to a dynasty member, make it independent, and see how it fares - maybe a century or two down the line your dynasty will end up on the throne.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Arbitrary Coin posted:

1. If you do not want to give out Ireland that would be fine, too. This way you could retain Dublin as your capital. If you do give away the kingdom of Ireland, the king will have a -25 penalty for wanting the duchy of Dublin though. The normal duchy for the Emperor of Britannia would be Essex, since the county with the most possible holdings in the British Isles (Middlesex) is the capital county of Essex. But since it has just one holding more than Dublin it is not really necessary to switch to Essex, especially if it is technologically inferior.

2. Tanistry eliminates the "too many elector titles" opinion penalty if I recall correctly. Just realize that the electors in tanistry really really like to vote for older more distant relatives, especially if these have claims. So it is not as easy to put your genius third son on the throne as on pure elective.

3. You will get very little troops out of Paris for being outside of your de jure realm. Are you expanding onto continental Europe? If not I would give it away and grant the new holder independence, because a few scattered land in France are probably not worth the hassle.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

Torrannor posted:

3. You will get very little troops out of Paris for being outside of your de jure realm. Are you expanding onto continental Europe? If not I would give it away and grant the new holder independence, because a few scattered land in France are probably not worth the hassle.

I'm pretty sure this doesn't apply to provinces you hold yourself, and since Paris is one of the best provinces on the map there's no reason not to hold it yourself. It's not like it'll harm you in any way to hold it.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Another question is how do you manage to get a family member in the line of inheritance, bring over someone with a claim and just keep stabbing until they are the ruler or is there something I'm missing?

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Any reason I shouldn't tax and levy my cities to oblivion as a monarch? It's not like they have enough power to rebel on their own, being barony level.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

Average Bear posted:

Any reason I shouldn't tax and levy my cities to oblivion as a monarch? It's not like they have enough power to rebel on their own, being barony level.

If you have trade republics as vassals then you don't wanna do that. Their levies are pretty rubbish though so I usually switch to minimum levies and high(? third tier from the left) taxes for them, for a net 0 opinion malus.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Average Bear posted:

My gut says that it should lead to an increase in peasant revolts (Robin Hood-style), but I'm almost certain that isn't the case.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Average Bear posted:

Harsh Tax cities for gold, but doing levies is dumb. Mayors give you more money on how much the like you. So taking the hit from full levies is stupid because they don't have many troops to begin with.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Average Bear posted:

Catholic church vassals will pay their taxes to the pope if they like him more than you. So it might be a net negative to push church taxes too high. All vassals in general will give you much less troops and pay much less in taxes if they don't like you, and with taxation and levies set to max I doubt you will get much out of them. But I usually use harsh city taxes myself, and either compensate with Minimal City Levies, or if I have a highly liked character just stay on Normal City Levies.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Allyn posted:

If you have trade republics as vassals then you don't wanna do that. Their levies are pretty rubbish though so I usually switch to minimum levies and high(? third tier from the left) taxes for them, for a net 0 opinion malus.

Minimum levies for sure, especially because crown authority can raise that. Unless SoA has changed it, crown authority setting the minimum will override the maximum from the castle/church/city settings. So if you get your CA up, drop the others to minimum for a nice relationship boost.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

hellsjudge posted:

Where do I go to do this? i'm getting tired of having tons of eligible daughters and courtiers for jobs and counties and not being able to make them my generals, I want to play a game where my women can march into battle (but keep the -10 opinion modifier, I don't want to make it ahistorical.)

common/job_titles.txt, though just deleting is_female = no for each job made me unable to have councilors at all so it's not as easy as that.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Avalerion posted:

common/job_titles.txt, though just deleting is_female = no for each job made me unable to have councilors at all so it's not as easy as that.

You should be able to comment it out (put a # in front of it) or do female = yes. It works for me in my mini-mod to let me play as female characters.

Also randomly are the culture retinues the ones you should use? I've been using my Caphaphrats and they seem to kick a lot of butt, but with 12k retinue cap I only have a retinue of 4k. Are Skimishers better just because you get more of them?

Eimi fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Dec 11, 2013

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

Eimi posted:

You should be able to comment it out (put a # in front of it) or do female = yes. It works for me in my mini-mod to let me play as female characters.

Also randomly are the culture retinues the ones you should use? I've been using my Caphaphrats and they seem to kick a lot of butt, but with 12k retinue cap I only have a retinue of 4k. Are Skimishers better just because you get more of them?

Depends on what you want to use the retinue for. Skirmishers are good for keeping Independence factions from popping and for taking holdings with sieges or assaults, but they'll crumple the moment you get past the skirmish phase of combat. Cataphracts are good for murdering armies and tricking the AI into committing to an attack against your retinue that it thinks it can win, but in fact, will totally screw it over.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Avalerion posted:

I read this on the Paradox forum:

quote:

delete:

OR = {
is_female = no
AND = {
religion = cathar
liege = { religion = cathar }
}
}

Or comment them out.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Just replace the entire allow stanza with this:

code:
	allow = {
		is_adult = yes
		prisoner = no
		not = { trait = incapable }
	}
You probably want to also add

code:
		liege = { religion = root }
to the job_spiritual section.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Is there a tutorial on retinues somewhere? I've been playing this game for awhile while being completely oblivious to them apparently.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

The Moon Monster posted:

Is there a tutorial on retinues somewhere? I've been playing this game for awhile while being completely oblivious to them apparently.

Not really so complicated as to need tutorials for. In the retinues tab of your military screen, you can recruit 500-man armies, each costing a certain number of "retinue points" depending on their composition. You can choose between various types of retinue with different troop compositions; each culture has one unique retinue type available only to characters of that culture, and there's also several generic retinues that are available to all characters. The total points of your active retinues cannot exceed your "retinue cap", which is decided based on tech, buildings, and number of holdings; when you've got enough retinues to reach the cap, you can't recruit any more till the cap increases. Retinues only cost money if they need to reinforce (in other words, zero upkeep as long as they're undamaged), and don't need to be disbanded before declaring war - they're like your own personal army you can keep around forever.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

The Moon Monster posted:

You also need a DLC for it. The roman one.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
What's the best retinue army to make as the Byzantines? Should you just spam cataphracts and nothing else?

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

What's the best retinue army to make as the Byzantines? Should you just spam cataphracts and nothing else?

Yes. Nothing will come close. Cataphract retinues can take on armies twice their size and utterly crush them.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Omar_Comin posted:

The AI has some events that are akin to cheating. Stuff like, "Give me the crown." "OK".

The AI seems to have a flag for if_player_involved or something. One duke steamrolled the entire country of Syria and most of Mesopotamia for me, but if I tried to take a single county then I'd immediately get dogpiled by every Shia ruler. Getting the final county to create Wales took decades of HRE revolts before a duke grabbed it for me, since whenever I tried the entire Brittany/Lotharingia/Deheubarth alliance would drop their bid for independence just to stop me from taking it.

Last night I reversed the direction of what should have been Scotland rolling over Pisa simply by joining the king of Scotland/Italy in his war. The AI promptly split it's doomstacks, stopped all sieges, then ran the split bits individually into Pisa's smaller doomstack until all his men were toasted. It seemed to intentionally avoid sieging holdings even when Pisa stood it's men down for a while. An army of 24k was reduced to 2k and he peaced out at -37%. The goal of this was to weaken Scotland for my takeover.

I know good AI is hard, but at this point (especially with the 2.0 patch) I have to wonder if they've put more effort into cheats and "balance" than it would take to just rewrite the AI to be more logical.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

dogstile posted:

You also need a DLC for it. The roman one.

Ah, for some reason I thought it was The Old Gods. I guess that would explain why I never stumbled on it.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

The Moon Monster posted:

Ah, for some reason I thought it was The Old Gods. I guess that would explain why I never stumbled on it.

They are incredibly helpful. Frankly don't know how I'd play without the extra men or the power of cultural ones. They are the one thing that seems to keep me even/ahead of my enemies.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Ithle01 posted:

but they'll crumple the moment you get past the skirmish phase of combat.

To be fair, you probably won't even get to melee phase. That skirmish phase with +60% bows are devastating to all but mongols and cataphracts. Cataphracts are the strongest as they have no weakness, but for me skirmish are most cost effective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

I just took the King of Abyssinia on a pilgrimmage to Jerusalem, and got an event giving me the trait "Sympathy for Muslims" (I could have also picked Sympathy for Jews). What does this do, since the tooltip is just flavour?

• Locked thread