Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Hey, Voyager and Enterprise were each a pretty great 20 or so episodes!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

1st AD posted:

Brent Spiner is typecast because he's not good at acting. Patrick Stewart doesn't have that problem.

It reminds me of that Frasier episode where Frasier puts on a theatre production for an actor he admired as a child who was in a sci-fi show then discovers the guy hasn't been in anything because he's real bad.

Yeah, I guess you don't really need a lot of acting chops if you're playing a character with no emotions.

I also think that Patrick Stewart is one of the finest actors alive and had years of experience in Shakespearean theatre before his TV and film career so it's probably not a fair comparison.

It really gets me thinking of what Star Trek actors I've seen in stuff after Star Trek. Michael Dorn has been in a few videogames, Marina Sirtis was in Mass Effect, Will Wheaton has done a lot of nerd poo poo. Pretty much Patrick Stewart, LeVar Burton and Whoopi are the only 3 people from TNG that I can think of that are really famous and had incredibly successful careers.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Does Colm Meany count as TNG? He's not famous, but he's had a great career.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Well, Frakes moved into directing and producing, and he's had a decent career at that. He produced Roswell, after all, and that was a very successful show which launched Katherine Hiegl's career and wait what am I saying he's a monster can we convince the Mossad he's actually a member of the SS and let them punish him appropriately?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Robert Duncan McNeill is following in his career footsteps.

Kill him before it's too late.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Boston Legal's the only thing Shatner should have done post-Trek. The character was absolutely perfect for the weird rear end in a top hat he is.

Kate Mulgrew's got a pretty nice career. She hasn't been exceptionally prolific, but NTFS:SD:SUV is hilarious and Orange Is The New Black is incredible, with her performance being one of the stand-outs of the show. Alexander Siddig, the fine wine that he is, has got a small career going on, with several fairly major TV roles and a few starring movies. Then there's Armin Shimerman's role as Principal Snyder on Buffy, and John Bilingsley has been in a loving bunch of things (24, True Blood, The Nine). And Scott Bakula's done a lot since Enterprise too, but he was a Known Dude in TV before the show ever aired.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Armin Shimmerman is also real active in the LA theatre scene.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Gammatron 64 posted:

Cats are assholes, though. I'm horrendously allergic to cats, and most cats I've run into are mean as gently caress. My grandma's cat is an evil devil creature that hates absolutely EVERYONE other than my grandma and exists to draw blood.

Puppies, on the other hand, are possibly the best thing in the world. You know which side I'll be one when the great Dog\Cat wars break out.

Gammatron 64 posted:

It really gets me thinking of what Star Trek actors I've seen in stuff after Star Trek. Michael Dorn has been in a few videogames, Marina Sirtis was in Mass Effect, Will Wheaton has done a lot of nerd poo poo. Pretty much Patrick Stewart, LeVar Burton and Whoopi are the only 3 people from TNG that I can think of that are really famous and had incredibly successful careers.

They were almost all in Gargoyles (never watched it) and have been in Adventure Time for some reason????

Farecoal fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Dec 11, 2013

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

MikeJF posted:

It's too late, Zac Levi is already amongst us, infiltrating our Norse power wank-fantasies and scoring with the hot blond Australian women :negative:

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

MikeJF posted:

He did produce and/or direct most of the Chuck episodes, I consider that a plus.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

MikeJF posted:

When did he turn into Adam Savage's brother?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

kelvron posted:

He did produce and/or direct most of the Chuck episodes, I consider that a plus.

You're a monster.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Mister Kingdom posted:

When did he turn into Adam Savage's brother?

Was he stung by a bee?

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

You're a monster.

What? I think it's fun. Plus, It's a McG show too, which means it usually has pretty sharp dialogue and really great music.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

You are not of the Body.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

kelvron posted:

What? I think it's fun. Plus, It's a McG show too, which means it usually has pretty sharp dialogue and really great music.

I sensed something was wrong in here.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Finally on to season 2. The Child sure is jarring! Riker with a beard, Geordie is Chief Engineer, no Bev, Whoopi Golberg getting literally no introduction and knocked up Troi.

Oh and Worf is all "abort dat poo poo!" :black101:

Edit: haha her body her choice!

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

bobkatt013 posted:

Brent Spiner would have loved that to happen. He hates cats and one of the best quotes is when the Enterprise is destroyed in Generation he wanted to know why instead of Spot why couldn't he find Geordi?

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I've Trek-Stalled. Last three times I've fired up S2 of DS9 my mind has wandered and I've switched over to something else..

For those that use VLC, there is a resume plugin that you easily stick in your VLC folder and you can be as ADD as I'm being and you'll just pick up wherever you left off with any video.

Shoehead posted:

Finally on to season 2. The Child sure is jarring! Riker with a beard, Geordie is Chief Engineer, no Bev, Whoopi Golberg getting literally no introduction and knocked up Troi.

Oh and Worf is all "abort dat poo poo!" :black101:

Edit: haha her body her choice!

Yeah I remember it's a big change. No Bev.. you've got Pulaski already? Lucky you :(

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Tony Montana posted:

Yeah I remember it's a big change. No Bev.. you've got Pulaski already? Lucky you :(

Everyone is crowding Troi and no one is like "Get that star baby the gently caress outta here!" :psyduck: She just gave birth to space Jesus and no one cares.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Oh gently caress the space baby. That is some terrible Trek. It those eps where you look at yourself in the mirror after and hold back the tears.. what have I become?

edit: that said I just got back from watching soccer with Italian dudes and the game we watched was a 0-all draw. God loving dammit that was boring. Then straight after was a news report about 4 dudes being stabbed outside the stadium. 0-0 all draw, 4 stabbings. So at least Space Baby isn't stabbing you while boring you.

Tony Montana fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Dec 12, 2013

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

You are not of the Body.

Peace to you, friend. Joy and tranquility.
I've got an idea for some serious Bij over Christmas.

Tony Montana, what DS9 episode are you stuck on?

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Well that problem took care of itself!

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
First of S2, mate. The first of the three parter, it started ok (Quark was being cheeky with Kira which was a laugh) but I'm just finding myself thinking about something else, missing 3 mins of dialogue and having to rewind.

It's cool.. weekend coming up and I've skiied so much this week that my legs are pulsating already so I'll be camping indoors with my laptop and a pile of puddings and chocolate from the crazy Italian sources. Mmm.. herbals teas.. nice foods.. Christmas tree in the background and a three parter to smash :D

Shoehead posted:

Well that problem took care of itself!

Alien of the week!

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

Gammatron 64 posted:

Yeah, I guess you don't really need a lot of acting chops if you're playing a character with no emotions.

I also think that Patrick Stewart is one of the finest actors alive and had years of experience in Shakespearean theatre before his TV and film career so it's probably not a fair comparison.

Ok I've barely touched the "new" thread at all but I wanted to chime in. Didn't Brent Spiner do/still do a lot of theatre? As in broadway stage theater? Also seconding Colm Meany's badassness.

Tony Montana posted:

I've Trek-Stalled. Last three times I've fired up S2 of DS9 my mind has wandered and I've switched over to something else..

With no sarcasm at all, I've found that when I Trek-stall the best cure is some good TOS episodes. I'm not talking Troubles with Tribbles here, I'm talking some City on the Edge of Forever or some Cage or some Doomsday Machine action. If TOS isn't your cup of tea...then I'm a huge sucker for some mega Doctorish Voyager episodes like Living Witness.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
hehe, no you haven't been around or you'd know I'm the old fucker that goes on and on about how great TOS and Kirk is and gently caress JJTrek to hell.

I don't have TOS with me, for some reason I decided to go to the other side of the world and leave the 100+ gigs of remastered TOS and all of new BSG in super high res at home. I am a stupid idiot.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

What? Yes it does take skill to portray someone with no emotion. There's flat acting and then there's acting like an emotionless robot. It's the difference between Voyager and Data. Though Tuvok was a pretty cool Vulcan since he was always repressing anger instead of human emotion in general like Spock.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEXEuF3LHbQ&t=267s

I'm sure the regulars have seen it, but this is pretty frank. Just found it poking around from based on the current conversation.

I don't know if anyone like Shoehead, going through TNG for the first time, should watch it. Data is an integral part of that series and after hearing Spiner talk I'm finding it hard to separate him and the character.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Luigi Thirty posted:

What? Yes it does take skill to portray someone with no emotion. There's flat acting and then there's acting like an emotionless robot.

Yeah, I can't find the quote, but one of the staff said whenever other actors tried to portray Data, they failed miserably. Their gait was too janky and robot-like; they talked in a flat, affect-less voice; they had no idea what to do with their eyes etc. etc.

Spiner apparently introduced a subtlety to the role that nobody else ever managed to bring to the table.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Oh great the entire Enterprise is waiting for death, this isn't a downer at all!

Also Colm Meany has been in some great poo poo, he was great in Intermission.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I've always wondered this -- is it pronounced "Spinner" or "Spyner"?

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

Tony Montana posted:

hehe, no you haven't been around or you'd know I'm the old fucker that goes on and on about how great TOS and Kirk is and gently caress JJTrek to hell.

I don't have TOS with me, for some reason I decided to go to the other side of the world and leave the 100+ gigs of remastered TOS and all of new BSG in super high res at home. I am a stupid idiot.

There's always the lovely quality episodes up on startrek.com/videos if you're really fiending for some good poo poo.

Also if your attention span is your problem there's always the goldmine that is Star Trek TNG commercials on youtube.

THIS CREW IS ON A QUEST FOR ADVENTURE...THEY FIND IT IN A PLACE CALLED SPACE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2ktDSW5iwI

Tyson Tomko fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Dec 12, 2013

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Shoehead posted:

Oh great the entire Enterprise is waiting for death, this isn't a downer at all!

Also Colm Meany has been in some great poo poo, he was great in Intermission.

More recently, he also plays an on-again, off-again villain in AMC's Hell on Wheels (mostly villain, but sometimes a necessary one). The writing is a bit uneven in what to actually do with its characters but they all do good with what they're given, especially him.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

DrSunshine posted:

I've always wondered this -- is it pronounced "Spinner" or "Spyner"?

Christ, now you've done it. Goddamn Kate Mulgrew Diana Muldaur, what the gently caress is wrong with me will purposely mispronounce his name, just to spite him.

Blade_of_tyshalle fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Dec 12, 2013

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Tony Montana posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEXEuF3LHbQ&t=267s

I'm sure the regulars have seen it, but this is pretty frank. Just found it poking around from based on the current conversation.

Why is he being interviewed in a garbage bag full of tarps?

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Tony Montana posted:

First of S2, mate. The first of the three parter, it started ok (Quark was being cheeky with Kira which was a laugh) but I'm just finding myself thinking about something else, missing 3 mins of dialogue and having to rewind.

It's cool.. weekend coming up and I've skiied so much this week that my legs are pulsating already so I'll be camping indoors with my laptop and a pile of puddings and chocolate from the crazy Italian sources. Mmm.. herbals teas.. nice foods.. Christmas tree in the background and a three parter to smash :D

First episode is alright, but the next two are pretty fun. Just remember, this is the season you meet the best character in the whole series.

Best gif ever, thank you kazy!

DS9 really starts to get its legs under itself this season. Definitely more episodes you could only do with DS9, and O'Brien suffers in new and unique ways.

Hip-Hoptimus Rhyme
Mar 19, 2009

Gods don't make mistakes

MikeJF posted:

Hey, Voyager and Enterprise were each a pretty great 20 or so episodes!

I'd say it's a little low, but yeah Enterprise did have about 20 great episodes

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

kelvron posted:

First episode is alright, but the next two are pretty fun. Just remember, this is the season you meet the best character in the whole series.

Best gif ever, thank you kazy!

DS9 really starts to get its legs under itself this season. Definitely more episodes you could only do with DS9, and O'Brien suffers in new and unique ways.

Man, people hate Melora but at least it has that going for it. The next episode on my rewatch is the one with the whiny flake-skinned aliens. Just seeing the episode preview in Netflix made me instinctively reach for a bottle of moisturizing cream.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Back in the 90s, I used to collect Star Trek comics. There was a series put out by Personality Press in which they did unauthorized biographies of the TNG crew. Here's some examples:

Picard

Riker

I didn't know he was related to Shannon Doherty.

Data

Another of Miss Doherty distant relatives.

Crusher

Geordi

Worf

That's not half bad.

However:

:stonk:

I've got most of the other Malibu/Paramount/Marvel stuff, too, including Voyager and DS9.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Professor Moriarity: Coming to a Universe Near You!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/12/11/universe-hologram-physicists_n_4428359.html

Gonz fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Dec 12, 2013

• Locked thread