Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003
When you see that many people taking pictures of the same thing, that's when it's time to leave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Wario In Real Life posted:

Are there always that many photographers there or was this part of a class or something?

I'd be annoyed if I went to enjoy the scenery and there were dozens of people crouching around tripods everywhere.

It's momiji season there. That was taken during the member only pre-public hours. There was probably 90 people vying for photos during the 15 mins of fog.

It's always busy during season shifts. In 8 weeks it will be packed with people chasing snow.

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

Love the expressiveness of those two guys.
Although I wish you'd have given them some more space to the left., theres nothing happening on the right.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

widunder
May 2, 2002
Some more Poland.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Dunno if it's a problem with the scanning or a JPEG compression thing, but there seems to be weird blotches of color in those B&W pictures.

widunder
May 2, 2002
they are cell phone shots :unsmith:

widunder
May 2, 2002
Cracow

Holy lens flare Batman!

widunder fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Oct 21, 2013

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Of all the cities in Poland I have been to, never have I liked a city so much as my dear Kraków.

The jesus? drawing says: "Come to me, all of you." Really reminds me of why I left.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

The Clown's Hard Day of Work by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

mongeese
Mar 30, 2003

If you think in fractals...

Equine Musician by herd of mongeese, on Flickr

krooj
Dec 2, 2006

L1000633 by kroojinder, on Flickr

L1000659 by kroojinder, on Flickr

@ The Royal Winter Fair, Toronto

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Schottentor by Cacator, on Flickr

Beggar by Cacator, on Flickr

Zhe
Sep 10, 2006
To reduce the risk of fire do not disassemble.
Hi, I'm new here. This is a photo from last summer I've just re-edited today. I'm not too big on street photography, my city is too small for it.

Also, you all seem to leave a flickr link, but I don't use it. This is my tumblr if anyone wants to see it: https://www.maskineriet.tumblr.com

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Zhe posted:

I'm not too big on street photography, my city is too small for it.

Does not compute.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Everett and Broadway, Portland by Ashade76, on Flickr

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013
Still not sure if it was the decisive moment, but I like getting out there and forcing myself to picture people. Criticism is welcome, I wish I had opened up the aperture a little more. And it might be anathema depending on who you talk to, but I needed the color for the spices!

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Shellman posted:

Still not sure if it was the decisive moment

If you aren't sure, then how could it possibly be decisive?.

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

aliencowboy posted:

If you aren't sure, then how could it possibly be decisive?.

Maybe it's just me, but sometimes I feel I can either choose from taking the shot I have or missing the opportunity when I draw attention (and stares).

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

It's a pretty boring picture. You're close to your subject and that's a good start, but understand that more often than not you'll be going home empty-handed. Keep at and you'll get something, it takes time.

burzum karaoke fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Nov 27, 2013

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

aliencowboy posted:

Keep at and you'll get something, it takes time.

Seconded. Spending the time is essential. Try, try and try again.

I agree with the comment you made about the aperture. Wide open is usually not the worst idea, unless you are using a manual focus lens and don't feel confident, a lens that is unusable wide open or need the motion blur.

And don't worry, minority as it sometimes feels, color is cool. Unless I'm trying for an image that is supposed to be taken with a grain of interpretation, I use color.

The Consultant
Apr 5, 2006

I'm tops and you're horseplops
some pictures i took with a camera irl

Nikon D800 (not suited for street shooting whatsoever)
50mm 1.8 D
35-70 2.8 D

I don't use the 70-200 or 85 or anything like that for street shooting. It's no fun. Actually it's fun when people notice you and you get reactions. In a bad way. So I don't do it.

Smaller apertures rule. Your framing should carefully consider the background to complement the subject (not that that's something I'm particularly good at, but I try!), excessively tiny depth of field in every picture just looks...wrong.

yycphilosophy.tumblr.com is my blog, updated pretty frequently, assuming I have free time. It's meh, I have only been shooting street photos for about a year and a half. I usually stick to landscapes and portraits.

The Consultant fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Dec 10, 2013

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Someone felt sorry enough for me to change my custom title.
That's a whole lot of back of heads and people doing nothing.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

The Consultant posted:

some pictures i took with a camera irl

Nikon D800 (not suited for street shooting whatsoever)
50mm 1.8 D
35-70 2.8 D

I don't use the 70-200 or 85 or anything like that for street shooting. It's no fun. Actually it's fun when people notice you and you get reactions. In a bad way. So I don't do it.

Smaller apertures rule. Your framing should carefully consider the background to complement the subject (not that that's something I'm particularly good at, but I try!), excessively tiny depth of field in every picture just looks...wrong.

yycphilosophy.tumblr.com is my blog, updated pretty frequently, assuming I have free time. It's meh, I have only been shooting street photos for about a year and a half. I usually stick to landscapes and portraits.

Its like im looking at my moms flickr. These are bad. Thanks for sharing :toot: Did costco run out of the D800 mega-bundle that came with skill? Take your own advice and work on your comp.

Musket fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Dec 10, 2013

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
A couple from a recent trip to Yangon/Rangoon:

IMG_6465 by The.Rohit, on Flickr

IMG_6510 by The.Rohit, on Flickr

DSCF5018 by The.Rohit, on Flickr

The Consultant
Apr 5, 2006

I'm tops and you're horseplops

Musket posted:

Its like im looking at my moms flickr. These are bad. Thanks for sharing :toot: Did costco run out of the D800 mega-bundle that came with skill? Take your own advice and work on your comp.

Hey sorry if I sounded a little um, assertive in that post. This isn't really an area where I should be giving 'advice,' I was really just trying to talk about my preferences. Looking back at that post it looks like I had a few more drinks at the time than I recall!

deaders posted:

That's a whole lot of back of heads and people doing nothing.

I'm still getting over the whole getting-in-peoples-faces thing with street shooting.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Get ready to defend your liberties, because this thread's on the train to D&D!

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I can't believe President Obama has yet to do something about this disturbing trend.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
If it wasn't clear, this is D&D's Secret Santa Thread Swap for the holidays, courtesy of the Dork Room. D&D, please post your best ETHICAL street photography. :)

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

XyloJW posted:

please post your best ETHICAL street photography. :)

I'm sorry, but that is not possible.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

XyloJW posted:

If it wasn't clear, this is D&D's Secret Santa Thread Swap for the holidays, courtesy of the Dork Room. D&D, please post your best ETHICAL street photography. :)
What did you send away and where did you send it to?

Ethan_Alan
Apr 8, 2008

I am threatened by non-violence

R. Mute posted:

Looks like the picture thread, but I can't find it.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

I hope they swapped it to the mod forum.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Given the power differential between photographer and subject, it is impossible for a street to give consent to be photographed, thus all street photography is unethical.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

ReidRansom posted:

Given the power differential between photographer and subject, it is impossible for a street to give consent to be photographed, thus all street photography is unethical.

Agreed.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

R. Mute posted:

Picture thread to the Musician's Lounge. Doesn't everyone use bookmarks?

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Not a single element of the scene is directly linked to the image so it's null actually. Photons reflecting and being translated by a lens before activating an entirely separate entity, silver halide (or silicon sensor), which is then further processed and distanced before ever being re-composed as a viewable entity which is then reinterpreted by a person and transferred via multiple other systems to a physical object.

Ethan_Alan
Apr 8, 2008

I am threatened by non-violence

XyloJW posted:

I was really hoping it'd be in GiP, but thanks!

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

XyloJW posted:

You can bookmark threads?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Street photography is how hipsters dehumanize the poor from the safety of being behind a shutter + lens, something something digital panopticon.