Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

alg posted:

What an odd choice it was to give Chiss a 1 Presence.

Be honest, has there ever been a Chiss character who's skull you haven't wanted to bash in?

Infuriating and Insufferable are their most consistent cultural traits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Judging by the Explorer supplement out now and the Hired Gun one coming soon, I assume FFG's plan is to release 6 career supplements for EotE. Do we have any inkling of what's next past Hired Gun?

Also, I'm impressed with the level of support this game is getting in general; Beginner's Box, Core Book, (likely) 6 career supplements, one 100-page adventure module, and a Corellian System sourcebook. And that's just what we know about so far, and ignoring anything for AoR and FaD.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

jivjov posted:

Judging by the Explorer supplement out now and the Hired Gun one coming soon, I assume FFG's plan is to release 6 career supplements for EotE. Do we have any inkling of what's next past Hired Gun?

Also, I'm impressed with the level of support this game is getting in general; Beginner's Box, Core Book, (likely) 6 career supplements, one 100-page adventure module, and a Corellian System sourcebook. And that's just what we know about so far, and ignoring anything for AoR and FaD.

I would be happy with a shelf dedicated to this core system, to be honest. More adventures, more sourcebooks... do the same for AoR and FaD and I'll never want to play another RPG again.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I know the general time frame for this game is the Ep IV-V gap, but I would love an official "New Republic vs Imperial Remnant" book, and maybe even a Yuuzhan Vong sourcebook.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

I would be very happy with more as well. I wish Enter the Unknown had had "adventure seeds" -- the mini-encounter bits -- and some actual exploration-related rules, as opposed to just notions for exploration campaigns, but even so, it is a quality book and I'd love it if there were more of them.

My talent cards arrived today. I was surprised that there is a lot of repeated art, not just from the books (which I was actually hoping for), but within a deck. I shouldn't have been surprised, because of course a lot of talents are repeated within a specialization tree. There are still some good images and I'll be making Roll20/MapTool tokens out of some of them. I also came across a fan project on the FFG forums, putting all the equipment, planets, bad guys, and vehicles on their own cards. They're only sharing it within the group that's contributed (personal use, you see), but I would find that very useful, and may make my own. Having all the ships or adversaries in a fight (which may be in several books) all out on the table, with pictures, would be pretty great, and to a lesser extent the planets would be good. Gear is "meh" because it should be on the character sheet, but would still be nice to hand out when players found new stuff.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

jivjov posted:

I know the general time frame for this game is the Ep IV-V gap, but I would love an official "New Republic vs Imperial Remnant" book, and maybe even a Yuuzhan Vong sourcebook.

I was going to assume they'll move the timeline up for the third game since there aren't really a lot of Jedi around in the OT, but with the new movies who knows what they can actually do.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Is AoR and FaD in the same time frame? I haven't picked up the Beta, but It would make sense if EotE is between IV and V, AoR is V and the following gap, and FaD is VI and on. They could go nuts with it, and there is nothing stopping you from playing an EotE character in a later time frame.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Edge in particular comes off as timeline agnostic, simply because there will always be a lawless frontier to the Star Wars universe. All that's going to really change in a different time frame is some of the fluff about who is in control on what planet.

I have the AoR beta, but I didn't think to check if there was a difference in the established time frame compared to EotE. I'll give that a look when I'm home tonight. It fits pretty nicely in the same slot as EotE though, since the Rebellion fighting the Empire is something that happens throughout the entire timeframe of the OT. I could see it explicitly extending a bit later in the timeline though, up to the end of Episode VI.

It'll be very interesting to see what they do with FaD though...the OT timeframe is pretty sparse on the Jedi front, with only Yoda and Luke being around in the "post-IV but pre-VI" block (at least as far as the films are concerned...I know there are a handful of other Jedi in Hiding around). Either it's going to push forward into Luke's Jedi Order post Return of the Jedi, or be presented as "here's the stuff the Jedi of old could do...will your PC manifest some of these powers?"

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

AoR is set just after the Battle of Yavin, like D6.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
Odd, my understanding is that AoR is actually set after Hoth -- that's why the beta book had "the four -wings" while the Imperial roster was pretty filled out, complete with a TIE Defender (albeit one whose stats are representative of an Assault Gunboat instead...).

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Chortles posted:

Odd, my understanding is that AoR is actually set after Hoth -- that's why the beta book had "the four -wings" while the Imperial roster was pretty filled out, complete with a TIE Defender (albeit one whose stats are representative of an Assault Gunboat instead...).

I'm just assuming that based on the narrative at the beginning about their destruction of the first Death Star. I guess it could be set any time really, since the beta doesn't have much fluff in it. It definitely has stats for stuff post-Hoth.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Question for anyone that has them; are the talent tree decks worth it? Having a reference would be nice, but are the official decks pretty/sturdy enough to be worth it instead of, say, a hand written crib sheet or a photocopy of the talent tree page from the core book?

Edit: speaking of the talent tree pages from the book, any tips on successfully photocopying a page without the edge nearest the spine looking like rear end?

jivjov fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Dec 11, 2013

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

As far as expansion goes, isn't the entire EU basically null now that Disney owns things? I thought that was one of the big reasons they set the game in the established trilogies to begin with. I could be wrong on that one but I don't think they have the ability to talk about EU stuff anymore.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Mendrian posted:

As far as expansion goes, isn't the entire EU basically null now that Disney owns things? I thought that was one of the big reasons they set the game in the established trilogies to begin with. I could be wrong on that one but I don't think they have the ability to talk about EU stuff anymore.

If that was the case, things like "Chiss", "Z-95 Headhunters" and "The Wheel space station" would be off limits. All of those things are 100% expanded universe.

Beyond the Rim even makes direct reference to the EU. There's a sidebar about how to make sure that your campaign doesn't run into any of the "established Star Wars lore" and references a visit of Han, Luke, and Leia to the Wheel.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
I'd also point out that a noticeable portion of the ship rosters in both EotE and AoR (beta) are from the EU with no original or prequel trilogy appearances either.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
The general vibe I've been getting since the Disney thing is that the post-ROTJ EU is getting quietly ignored for the time being. A lot of the upcoming EU novels set in that time frame have been either postponed or just never got assigned a release date and a lot of focus has been given to things set in and around the films and one-off stuff like the comics adaptation of the old script drafts.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
There's also the ongoing Dark Horse Comics series, but that kicked off two months after Yavin.

At least on the FFG forums, there seems to be this almost-determination that "Disney" will have nothing to do with what the players are going to do with the game due to this one rear end in a top hat who kept citing Disney and the upcoming Rebels cartoon (while mischaracterizing them) incessantly to the point that he got at least one forumsgoer to like the Rebels less...

(Note: The Dark Side is seductive... sometimes it takes the form of one's desperation, other times it takes the form of compliments and flattery...)

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Chortles posted:

There's also the ongoing Dark Horse Comics series, but that kicked off two months after Yavin.

Exactly; all of Dark Horse's Star Wars output either takes place before the end of Return of the Jedi, or is so ridiculously far removed from the extant timeline as to not really affect continuity. Dark Times is between the trilogies, Dawn of the Jedi is some ridiculous 4-digit number of years before the prequels, the ongoing is between ANH and ESB, The Star Wars is an non-canon adaptation of old scripts.

Honestly, it's a smart move. Keep pumping out content, but put it in places that won't get steamrolled by the sequel trilogy.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

jivjov posted:

Question for anyone that has them; are the talent tree decks worth it? Having a reference would be nice, but are the official decks pretty/sturdy enough to be worth it instead of, say, a hand written crib sheet or a photocopy of the talent tree page from the core book?

Edit: speaking of the talent tree pages from the book, any tips on successfully photocopying a page without the edge nearest the spine looking like rear end?

Aside from my post about them seven posts above yours, they have the full text of the talent and whether it's ranked, which doesn't appear on the talent tree pages. They are pretty.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

homullus posted:

Aside from my post about them seven posts above yours, they have the full text of the talent and whether it's ranked, which doesn't appear on the talent tree pages. They are pretty.

What's the material like? Do they feel like the cards from the LCG? Or are they even heavier plastic stock like some playing cards?

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

jivjov posted:

What's the material like? Do they feel like the cards from the LCG? Or are they even heavier plastic stock like some playing cards?

I don't have the Star Wars LCG, but they are not very heavy -- they aren't made to be shuffled. They're like the WFRP 3e POD cards, if that is meaningful.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

homullus posted:

I don't have the Star Wars LCG, but they are not very heavy -- they aren't made to be shuffled. They're like the WFRP 3e POD cards, if that is meaningful.

Looks like crib sheets it is for me then. I mean, I've nothing against FFG putting out handy reference decks like that, and splitting them by specialization is actually really nice because you only have to pay for what your group needs. But if I'm going to buy a hard copy aid like that, I prefer it to be super-sturdy, and having all-unique art would be a plus.

Speaking of accessories, for people who have run some IRL games, how many dice sets do you guys need at the table? I've got 2 (beginner box and one standalone), but I could see occasionally needing a 3rd Challenge die, or a good handful of Boost or Setback dice. Also, why does the dice set not come with percentile dice? Enough stuff in the game wants a 2d10 roll that it seems odd to not have those in with the dice pack.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

I've got 2 sets and we don't run out of dice.

However I'm only running a game of 5 including myself. I'd Probably get another set if I had more PCs.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
2 sets is all I've ever needed. Beginner box plus stand alone.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

I could see the additional Challenge dice being needed for opposed rolls vs. powerful opponents, since their yellows become reds for the PCs' rolls. In Beyond the Rim, Captain Harsol has a Presence of 5 and a Cool of 4, which is four yellows and a green -- or four red and a purple in an opposed roll. Luckily, we were playing in Roll20 -- I would not have wanted to keep that running total in my head (or even on paper, for that matter).

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, I figure that in the event of needing more than 2 Challenge dice I'll just use the dice roller app. My players are just of the type to greatly prefer physical goodies over digital ones.

I really don't see why we get 2 yellow dice but only 1 red one in each dice pack though.

Arschlochkind
Mar 29, 2010

:stare:

jivjov posted:

If that was the case, things like "Chiss", "Z-95 Headhunters" and "The Wheel space station" would be off limits. All of those things are 100% expanded universe.

Beyond the Rim even makes direct reference to the EU. There's a sidebar about how to make sure that your campaign doesn't run into any of the "established Star Wars lore" and references a visit of Han, Luke, and Leia to the Wheel.

I'm not refuting your point, but didn't the Z-95 sort of get "promoted" or whatever into a more official canon once it ended up on the Clone Wars TV show? I don't personally give a poo poo about levels of canon but I think the Headhunter is more OK now or whatever the hell you'd call it.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Arschlochkind posted:

I'm not refuting your point, but didn't the Z-95 sort of get "promoted" or whatever into a more official canon once it ended up on the Clone Wars TV show? I don't personally give a poo poo about levels of canon but I think the Headhunter is more OK now or whatever the hell you'd call it.

Well, that's fair, but even in the official hierarchy of canon, the Clone Wars show is still a lower level of continuity than the films. (Why, yes, I am a huge Star Wars sperg)

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Is anyone running a Life Day-themed game for the Holidays?

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

Tharizdun posted:

Is anyone running a Life Day-themed game for the Holidays?

God, I wish. Ever since I got EotE from my Secret Santa I've been dying to play a game.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Gravy Train Robber posted:

God, I wish. Ever since I got EotE from my Secret Santa I've been dying to play a game.

I wasn't kidding about having a TG-Secret-Santa-game...I just need to get off my rear end and make a thread or something.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

I've been using the Obligation roll stress in a Life Day context -- tying their Obligation to notions of family when appropriate. Since the group just got to The Retreat on Cholganna in Beyond the Rim, I think I'll have the people there putting up Life Day decorations, such as they've been able to manage in the jungle. And of course had to joke about how terrible the Gand smuggler is on Life Day, because he has the worst Presence. :rimshot:

Arschlochkind
Mar 29, 2010

jivjov posted:

Well, that's fair, but even in the official hierarchy of canon, the Clone Wars show is still a lower level of continuity than the films. (Why, yes, I am a huge Star Wars sperg)

That's why I said "more official." TV shows count more than RPG sourcebooks or whatever. :v:

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Arschlochkind posted:

That's why I said "more official." TV shows count more than RPG sourcebooks or whatever. :v:
And GMs count more than the films because of Rule Zero! :haw:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Chortles posted:

And GMs count more than the films because of Rule Zero! :haw:

Leland Chee just had a mild aneurysm.

Arschlochkind
Mar 29, 2010

jivjov posted:

Leland Chee just had a mild aneurysm.

Good. :unsmigghh:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I got to bring my copy of Enter the Unknown home today, so if anyone is wanting to know specifics on what's contained within, let me know!

Yoshimo
Oct 5, 2003

Fleet of foot, and all that!
Quick question, my mate's planning on running this come the new year, what would be helpful as a player to get? The main rulebook and a set of dice?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Yoshimo posted:

Quick question, my mate's planning on running this come the new year, what would be helpful as a player to get? The main rulebook and a set of dice?

That's all you really need to get started, yeah. The GM screen can be handy, but if your friend is just going to be a player, he obviously doesn't need one. FakeEdit: your post does say running; so yeah, here's a recommend for a GM screen, but its by no means necessary.

All the other content out at this point is just supplement stuff. There's an adventure module and a Explorer career supplement out so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yoshimo
Oct 5, 2003

Fleet of foot, and all that!
Grand, cheers! He's got the Beginner Set and the Core Rulebook as far as I know, I'd imagine he'll be picking up the screen pretty soon.

• Locked thread