Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Neurophonic posted:

Has anybody given the new Assassin's Creed Pirates thing a go? Opinions? I don't game a lot on my phone but it seems like this would give me the bits I've most enjoyed of AC4 so far without having to be sat in front of the TV.

Based on the clips I've seen it depends on how much you'd like those enjoyable dramatic moments butchered into handful of ridiculous minigames.

Swipe to have your ship dodge incoming fire!
Paw ineffectually at the screen to try and get your money back!

Serious-talk: the only part of the full game's gameplay that survived the translation is the navigation between battles. I was so sad to hear this as I loved the naval combat in AC3 and a dedicated game would have been pretty drat nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

omg chael crash posted:

Seems like 12 bucks all together for the new content, still a bit steep.

It's all available piecemeal though, it's not like you have to buy it all. I am glad they looked at how people were playing and decided to try and find a way to boost variety and content for those players. More room art, more types of monsters, and these things will appear everywhere if you buy them. I'll be snagging the lot, as. I've bought everything they put out so far, but I'm more interested in this boost to the random quests than I ever was for the main quest line expansions.

Also a reminder that you'd pay $12 just for the Witchhunter figure from Games Workshop if you had the physical game, so $12 for more tiles, a ton of new monsters, and a hero (and all his equippable loot) is still a bargain. Comparatively speaking.

Party Ape
Mar 5, 2007
Don't pay $10 bucks to change my avatar! Send me a $10 donation to Doctors with Borders and I'll stop posting for 24 hours!

Parkingtigers posted:

It's all available piecemeal though, it's not like you have to buy it all. I am glad they looked at how people were playing and decided to try and find a way to boost variety and content for those players. More room art, more types of monsters, and these things will appear everywhere if you buy them. I'll be snagging the lot, as. I've bought everything they put out so far, but I'm more interested in this boost to the random quests than I ever was for the main quest line expansions.

Also a reminder that you'd pay $12 just for the Witchhunter figure from Games Workshop if you had the physical game, so $12 for more tiles, a ton of new monsters, and a hero (and all his equippable loot) is still a bargain. Comparatively speaking.

All you've done now is remind me that I would buy this game as a boxed set if it was redone. :smith:

While I'm annoyed at some of the dlc you can buy (gold, weapons) - actual content packs are still a day one purchase. I'd like to know how many players actually buy those things and whether it's worth alienating potential buyers.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

I've heard it's just not very great. The actual battles have two buttons: Shoot and dodge. Seems like it wouldn't play anything like the console version.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Parkingtigers posted:

"less of a scandalous rip off than GW" is some pretty loving faint praise

I'm pretty sure the only other organizations with such a high markup between raw material and finished product have the word "cartel" in their name.

roboshit
Apr 4, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iatwtB6-kHA

20 minute gameplay video of GTA:SA which should be out in North America tonight. poo poo has been upgraded with better graphics (dynamic shadows are the first thing I notice in this video). When I was a teenager playing this game on the PS2 9 years ago I never would have thought that someday I'd be able to play a better version on my phone.

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise

roboshit posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iatwtB6-kHA

20 minute gameplay video of GTA:SA which should be out in North America tonight. poo poo has been upgraded with better graphics (dynamic shadows are the first thing I notice in this video). When I was a teenager playing this game on the PS2 9 years ago I never would have thought that someday I'd be able to play a better version on my phone.

I get excited for this kind of release for about 30 seconds when I realize that the novelty of playing a game like this on my phone is offset by the reality of touch controls.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

jerkstore77 posted:

I get excited for this kind of release for about 30 seconds when I realize that the novelty of playing a game like this on my phone is offset by the reality of touch controls.

Just wait for the iOS release of GTA IV in a couple years when physical controllers have become ubiquitous. :v:

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

xzzy posted:

Just wait for the iOS release of GTA IV in a couple years when physical controllers have become ubiquitous. :v:

Roman could bug you on your cell phone... on your cell phone. :psyduck:

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

BGrifter posted:

Roman could bug you on your cell phone... on your cell phone. :psyduck:

Oh man, if you started playing and it asked for your phone # for verification, I'd be ecstatic.

Gegil
Jun 22, 2012

Smoke'em if you Got'em

Kaizoku posted:

Oh man, if you started playing and it asked for your phone # for verification, I'd be ecstatic.

Couldn't they just use the Notifications built into iOS so the iPad & iPod Touch users could be ecstatic too?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Looked through the last few pages and didn't see anything about Angry Birds Go, it looks to be a solid cart racer with flag rest graphics and mechanics but a lot of IAP. Anyone have opinions if it's worth my time?

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

Bottom Liner posted:

Looked through the last few pages and didn't see anything about Angry Birds Go, it looks to be a solid cart racer with flag rest graphics and mechanics but a lot of IAP. Anyone have opinions if it's worth my time?

We'll need to know how much your time is actually worth to run the calculations.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

eeenmachine posted:

We'll need to know how much your time is actually worth to run the calculations.

Also, is this normal time or pooping time?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

There's a difference? :confused:

Stormfang1502
Jan 26, 2003

The enemy is anybody who's going to get you killed, no matter which side he's on.

jerkstore77 posted:

"ALL YOU HAD TO DO WAS FOLLOW THE drat TRAIN!"

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

Bottom Liner posted:

It had an IAP for a kart that cost £60 on launch. Swung my decision.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Neurophonic posted:

Ah, so not as bad as the new Forza? Cool.

Jake Armitage
Dec 11, 2004

+69 Pimp

Neurophonic posted:

I have to think they would have done better sticking to their usual .99 for the full game pricing. The game is really well made, and people love kart games, but I don't see many people spending $100 for 2 new karts when you can almost get a 3DS and Mario Kart for that much.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Sword and Poker 1 and 2 are back on the app store.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

are there any decent stock market games out there? All the ones I'm seeing haven't been updated since 09 or have dead registration servers or whatever.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Well there's always the actual stock market, but the IAP are a bitch.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
Siege Hero Wizards and Siege Hero Wizards HD are currently free. Siege Hero is a really decent game that got content updates for 2.5 years after release and it's by the same people. So, there's that. It's basically a sequel with some new mechanics but very close to the original.

Edit: there does appear to be a premium currency system but it appears along the lines of Angry Birds so far- the game appears perfectly playable without using any of the special shots.

Kenny Logins fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Dec 11, 2013

roboshit
Apr 4, 2009

jerkstore77 posted:

Eh, III/Vice City controlled pretty well IMO and SA will have iOS 7 controller support.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

Bad Munki posted:

There's a difference? :confused:

Generally poop time is not time that could otherwise be used productively. I think there was some discussion of this in the old thread or the one before that. Or maybe I made it up.

Cheeseburgers.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

The makers of the dr who game is giving away free codes for costumes, companions, and crystals (as well as making levels that don't need codes) throughout advent.

Codes are here:
http://www.tinyrebelgames.com/#!news/c7g6

They claim codes are only good for seven days but as of earlier today they all still worked :ssh:

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Sorry if this has been asked a lot.

How have people found Xcom on a iPhone, particularly a 4s? I'm thinking of picking it and although the 360 version is about the same price preowned I need a train game.

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

That was a BAD business decision!

Sieg posted:

Generally poop time is not time that could otherwise be used productively. I think there was some discussion of this in the old thread or the one before that. Or maybe I made it up.

Cheeseburgers.
However, there is stiff competition among iOS games for your poop time; given the in-elasticity of poop time, it's hard to stretch it out to fit with the supply of iOS games, which drives the iOS market price on poop time through the roof. It's hard to get by in this business, son.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
You guys really should spend a little less on iOS games and see a doctor about whatever weird intestinal issues you're dealing with.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Ratjaculation posted:

How have people found Xcom on a iPhone, particularly a 4s? I'm thinking of picking it and although the 360 version is about the same price preowned I need a train game.

It's a massive battery drain on my ipad air, so I'd be prepared to charge your phone after the train ride.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

Allan Assiduity posted:

However, there is stiff competition among iOS games for your poop time; given the in-elasticity of poop time, it's hard to stretch it out to fit with the supply of iOS games, which drives the iOS market price on poop time through the roof. It's hard to get by in this business, son.

I'd hadn't considered that. My poop time is more valuable than ever! Coupled with the fact that all pooping should be done at work, poop time is at an all time high!

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Ratjaculation posted:

I played it on my 4s before I got my 5c and it played alright up until a certain point in the game where it just started crashing the second a map would load. The loading times on 4s were much longer than 5c also, so it was a pain trying over and over to get it to work. I don't know if they fixed it because by the time is given it another shot I had my 5c and everything was running smooth.

roboshit
Apr 4, 2009

Ratjaculation posted:

It's pretty good on my 5, and yeah it sucks the battery dry pretty fast. I can see it being a lot better on an iPad though.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

I have XCOM Enemy Unknown on the iPad and Enemy Within on ps3 and it feels like the way to go for me. I get the cut down mobile fix for on the go (which does a valiant job of it) and I get the more expansive content version (with better graphics) when I get a chance to sit down with it.
It's definitely a great game on iOS but be aware that there is a very noticeable difference in content from the console and pc options.
If you want to get it I'd recommend either grabbing for the non-mobile option and getting something else to play on the go or just grabbing both.

While we're on the subject. Anyone else getting a weird model glitch with female soldiers using cover? I have been frequently noticing their shoulder pads floating a foot from their shoulder and their arm is a mangled mess that resembles the T-1000's hook arms more than any human limbs.

(Also, been slowly working my way through Device 6 whenever I get a moment and absolutely loved chapter 4 just now. How long is the thing in total?)

Sad lions fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Dec 12, 2013

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

are there any decent stock market games out there? All the ones I'm seeing haven't been updated since 09 or have dead registration servers or whatever.

Stock Wars is pretty good.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling
Can anyone who's bought San Andreas tell me how much space it takes up once it's installed?

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!
The iOS Games Megathread: Install size under 200MB or bust.

Minus1Minus1
Apr 26, 2004

Azula always lies
I'm planning to start chugging through some gamebook-style/interactive fiction apps soon. I'm planning to pick up Sorcery! 1&2, and I'll likely grab the Lone Wolf, as well. I really enjoy the Game of Choices titles, but I find them to be a little bit pricey considering the games are entirely text-based.

What are the general recommendations here? Any title that might tend to slip through the cracks?

ImsaKidd
Jul 20, 2008

Bottom Liner posted:

I've been thoroughly unimpressed.

There isn't much variety/skill to the races imo. Reports on other forums suggest you need to grind a ton after the early areas to get any new upgrades.

EDIT: Forgot to mention there is a stamina system too. 20 minutes to recharge, max 5.

ImsaKidd fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Dec 12, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roboshit
Apr 4, 2009

The rear end Stooge posted:

Can anyone who's bought San Andreas tell me how much space it takes up once it's installed?

1.9GB

• Locked thread