Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Nate RFB posted:

I think you dodged a bullet there because I don't think they would have cared. Other than there probably being a large crossover with people who already hated Korra anyway.

People from here would care.

Because Korra isn't anime. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Mu Zeta posted:

:stare: Is that Keri Russel? :stare:

And why is the music so creepy

quote:

that ABC did back in the 90s

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Vertical Lime posted:

And then there was her influence on the X-Files.

In the latest channel rebranding news, Bio will now be known as FYI

http://www.deadline.com/2013/12/ae-networks-bio-renamed-fyi-as-it-converts-into-lifestyle-network/#utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

It's almost as if you can trace how progressively stupid that channel has gotten through its name changes.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Mu Zeta posted:

:stare: Is that Keri Russel? :stare:

And why is the music so creepy

I didn't even notice it was her as I was more focused on Jim Breuer in the background.

I could have sworn reading in the 90s around the time Chasing Amy was coming out that Kevin Smith had so little of a hand in the pilot that I don't think he was even aware it was being made until they'd started filming.

It's been a while since I did any reading up on it, but they changed a lot of the film's themes (and obviously, actors, sets, etc.) with Dante now being frustrated that he's got no direction in his life because he didn't go to GRAD school.

If not for fact that it'd be a logistics nightmare to track a lot of them down, I'd love to see a thread on pilots: Unaired pilots, aired pilots that never went to series, backdoor pilots and even pilots for shows that did get series just to discuss how much changed from that original 'vision' to what the shows eventually became.

JediTalentAgent fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Dec 12, 2013

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I've seen interviews with the Game of Thrones guys saying they filmed the pilot like 3 times. And I remember seeing promos for Parenthood when it had Maura Tierney instead of Lauren Graham.

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006
Just to remind everyone, we have a not-official-but-somewhat-popular TVIV IRC room!

It's on SynIRC at #SATVIV. You can click this link for more information if you have/want to download an IRC client. If you want to stick to web-based chat, you can just click this handy link!

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
How nice of YLLS. They're trying to help us couch-potatoes out.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

I want to hate Key and Peele for doing another East/West Collage bowl names skit, but god dammit it was funny.

Harvard University, Devry University.

Edit: Oh man...this skit...:smith:

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Dec 12, 2013

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

BigRed0427 posted:

I want to hate Key and Peele

This is a wrong emotion

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!
I finally watched Orphan Black and, as badly as I want to troll everyone and how easy that would be, all I'm gonna say is that was really good.

Probably would have watched it sooner but all the hype actually made me disregard it. Oh well, at least I'm on board before season 2 starts up.

Next up on my watch list: Person of Interest... eh, maybe later.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

BigRed0427 posted:

I want to hate Key and Peele for doing another East/West Collage bowl names skit, but god dammit it was funny.

Harvard University, Devry University.

Edit: Oh man...this skit...:smith:

I love how "Benedict Cumberbatch" is such a ridiculous name that they just went with that verbatim.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The lesson here is that hype is good.

Speaking of hype, people in IRC just convinced me to watch Arrow by letting slip one simple spoiler from the latest episode. I don't know how big a spoiler this is, so I'll put it in tags, but if you're on the fence or something check it out.

Apparently Solomon Grundy from Batman and nursery rhyme fame is a part of the show now.

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

Next up on my watch list: Person of Interest... eh, maybe later.

I can hear Zaggitz wailing and gnashing his teeth from here.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

As usual I'm a day behind, was Arrow the bomb this week?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

loving YES.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

zoux posted:

Rarity's freaking out in the IRC would indicate yes.

E: She may be dead.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

zoux posted:

Carpet bomb.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Regy Rusty posted:

E: She may be dead.

Yeah. You guys are now seeing a hallucination of me telling you that Arrow is goddam amazing because holy poo poo this loving show it delivers big time.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What if I told you Netflix is developing an animated show starring Aaron Paul, Amy Sedaris and Will Arnett as a drunk talking horse.

Rarity posted:

Yeah. You guys are now seeing a hallucination of me telling you that Arrow is goddam amazing because holy poo poo this loving show it delivers big time.

I don't know why I even ask, of course it was gonna be awesome. You just can't trust Amell because he thinks every episode is the best episode they've ever done.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

Aw man. Clicking this link was disappointing when it turned out to be a cartoon (and obviously I missed the word animated)

I mean yeah that still sounds good, but I already fell in love with the image of Jesse, Jerri, and Mr Ed I had in my head.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

zoux posted:

I don't know why I even ask, of course it was gonna be awesome. You just can't trust Amell because he thinks every episode is the best episode they've ever done.

It's because they are :stare:

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

zoux posted:

The mid season finale was probably better than last season's actual season finale. And had moments just as shocking in it. I'm not sure how they're gonna top this one.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Deadpool posted:

The mid season finale was probably better than last season's actual season finale. And had moments just as shocking in it. I'm not sure how they're gonna top this one.

drat, I can't wait to watch it tomorrow.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Hey I know Arrow gets jerked off so hard we should start charging it ten bucks a post at this point but for real, even if you loving hate comic books, even if you have no care at all about Green Arrow (the gently caress is wrong with you?), watch Arrow.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm finally watching Agents of SHIELD Marvel's Agents SHIELD and it's... it's good! And also somehow carried by a lovable schmuck in a suit. What a weird show. But pretty cool!

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
American Horror Story pulled back the curtain this week.

Edit: Seriously expected midseason turn that quells everyone's fears about the season occurs.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Caught up on Homeland. It has turned back into a spy show. :clap:

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
I think my favorite part of the office is how they do a real good job at keeping everything interesting by switching the characters relationships around and changing their status. It's a great idea.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

precision posted:

I'm finally watching Agents of SHIELD Marvel's Agents SHIELD and it's... it's good! And also somehow carried by a lovable schmuck in a suit. What a weird show. But pretty cool!

Hope you're ready for a wild ride because the show gets pretty crazy!

Just kidding, it continues to be wholly and utterly unremarkable 10 episodes in. I'm still kind of enjoying it (at least enough to watch every week) but it kind of swings between mildly entertaining and dreadfully boring. The characters have had tiny bits of characterization dropped here and there, but none of it has managed to make any of them legitimately interesting, and when it's mission time they immediately revert back to their cliche cookie-cutter personas. Ward, May, and Coulson are Super Serious Spies. Fitz/Simmons mumble hilariously fake-sounding techno-babble then explain it in plain English when another character gives them a funny look and says some variation of "What?"/"English please!"/"Not all of us are geniuses." and Skye will express some doubt in something that's happening because apparently she's the only one that's not an emotionless robot.

Like I said I don't hate the show or anything and continue to watch it every week, but watching this week's episode before watching the Arrow mid-season finale really hit home how boring, poorly-executed, cliche, and cheap AoS feels compared to it. It's not a completely fair comparison, but it's one that anyone who watches both can't help but make.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

VDay posted:

It's not a completely fair comparison

The only way in which it isn't a fair comparison is in that Agents has like 90 times the budget Arrow does and airs on a real network. And Arrow is in every single sense the superior show. The show that has been 99% on the level of a dude shooting people with a bow has *still* been more willing to pull out it's big super players than the show that literally has people talking about the Avengers, and I don't know that a much better budget could have improved the Flash origin shot all that much on Arrow. It was just perfectly done in a small amount of time.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

xeria posted:

The only reason I specifically remembered that show is because there was a promo spot that aired for both it and Caroline in the City, where the leads of each show discussed with each other how successful sitcoms have titles with a single word (referencing Friends/Seinfeld) and how they should shorten their show names to single words. It ended up 'Caroline' and 'Guy'.

I recall "Ellen" was something like "These friends of mine" which was pretty good the first season, then got better with the introduction of Jeremy Piven.

Of course the highest rated sit-coms now are The Big Bang Theory, How I Met Your Mother and Two and a Half Men...sooo 4 or 5 word titles now?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

While we're on the subject of long-forgotten shows, I would've never known that NBC's short-lived "Ironside" was a remake of a more popular NBC show of the same name that ran for 8 years in the 60s/70s if one of the actors on the original hadn't died.

http://tv.msn.com/tv/article.aspx?news=843141&ocid=ansent11

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...
So crazy Golden Globes things from this morning:

1) Tatiana Maslany snagged a Best Actress nom, good for her!
2) Claire Danes DIDN'T! Shock among shocks. In fact, Homeland was completely shut out.
3) B99 nom'd for Best Comedy! Samberg nom'd for Best Actor in Comedy!
4) TV Supporting Actor/Actress is still stupid. Comedy actors were completely shut out of the category this year (and the only comedy actress nom'd was Sofia Vergara).
5) The HFP's definition of 'comedy' for motion pictures seems curiously suspect.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

xeria posted:

So crazy Golden Globes things from this morning:

1) Tatiana Maslany snagged a Best Actress nom, good for her!
2) Claire Danes DIDN'T! Shock among shocks. In fact, Homeland was completely shut out.
3) B99 nom'd for Best Comedy! Samberg nom'd for Best Actor in Comedy!
4) TV Supporting Actor/Actress is still stupid. Comedy actors were completely shut out of the category this year (and the only comedy actress nom'd was Sofia Vergara).
5) The HFP's definition of 'comedy' for motion pictures seems curiously suspect.

1 and 3 are dope as hell.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Manos del Sino posted:

I've watched every episode and will stick with it. I'm not sure I'd go so far as to call it the worst, or one of the worst, shows in recent memory, but considering that I watch a lot of crap, and this is the crappiest crap out of all the crap that I watch the crap out of, it's a pretty big piece of crap.

-Blackadder- posted:

The plot is ridiculous and it gets even more ridiculous as it goes on, which is something that hardly seems possible but actually does happen, still I got into it after awhile. The last couple of episodes seem to have picked up a bit.

Catching up with the thread, so this is late, but seriously how do you people have the time to watch stuff you acknowledge is crap?! I don't even have time to watch the stuff that I know is going to be great going in (Rectify, etc).

Also, there should be a warning for people looking for recommendations in this thread. A lot of people here watch crap due to nebulous reasons.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
One thing about TV in the 80s and 90s is that you'd occasionally get channels airing some really obscure old TV series to fill up time.

Something like Coronet Blue, for example: Ran for only a few months in the 60s, only 13 episode, but I still remember it showing up on cable reruns in the 90s.

Other than John Doe from about 10 years ago and given the penchant for modern TV series to drag out mysterious plotlines for seasons on end, I'm surprised that they haven't remade this, yet: Guy is attacked, drugged, wakes up with no memory in a hospital and is on the run from people who want to capture him. No idea who he is or what he's done.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

Shageletic posted:

Catching up with the thread, so this is late, but seriously how do you people have the time to watch stuff you acknowledge is crap?! I don't even have time to watch the stuff that I know is going to be great going in (Rectify, etc).

I know I kept watching the V remake because it was so horrible I had to see where they were going with it. I'd already invested about 4-5 episodes in and I couldn't give up because I kept hoping for a magic episode that changed everything...

That... never happened.

I wouldn't call FlashForward a really good series, but with FlashForward it was full of actors I enjoyed and I was sort of curious where they were going to take that story.

But I still think a lot of shows have gotten too reliant on having a large part of their plots revolving around secrets they keep toying around with the audience about to keep pulling them back in for any resolution to those points.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Shield's gonna get cancelled...

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Good riddance. I'm loving done with it.

EDIT: And Jedi, that sort of pulling back thing is one of the many things wrong with SHIELD as well.

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Dec 12, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Well, in all fairness, SHIELD didn't have the Thor cross-promotion it had the week before and was up against the perfect woman fashion show. Until we have a better understanding of SHIELD's normal ratings, its hard to declare it definitely dead. Its more likely the show will be shuffled off to a less important night with a reduced budget than outright cancelled.

Seriously, though:
vs.
Who's not watching VSFS?

• Locked thread