Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

DStecks posted:

I just took the King of Abyssinia on a pilgrimmage to Jerusalem, and got an event giving me the trait "Sympathy for Muslims" (I could have also picked Sympathy for Jews). What does this do, since the tooltip is just flavour?

It makes you get along better with Muslims; think it reduces the normal penalty to -5. There are similar ones for all the religions. Converted Norse kings seem particularly likely to pick up "Sympathy for Pagans." It also might lower your conversion chances?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inside Outside
Jul 31, 2005

All of my DLC has stopped showing up in game. It's all there and checked in the launcher window, but is all disabled once I actually start it up. Google suggested that I verify the cache in Steam, which I did twice to no effect. I had this happen once before, I just don't remember how I fixed it. This is on a Mac, if that makes a difference.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I think that converting will also often give you sympathy to your old religion. In my Zoroastrian game I demand a lot of my courtiers/vassals who are Muslim or Jewish convert and most (but not all) of the time they get the Sympathy for Islam or Sympathy for Judaism traits.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Doesnt having retinues reduce the manpower you get from your personal holdings or something? I could swear there was a drawback on the number of men you got from another source for having retinue.

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013

Inside Outside posted:

All of my DLC has stopped showing up in game. It's all there and checked in the launcher window, but is all disabled once I actually start it up. Google suggested that I verify the cache in Steam, which I did twice to no effect. I had this happen once before, I just don't remember how I fixed it. This is on a Mac, if that makes a difference.
You need to start the game once with Steam connected to activate the DLC.

Ready! Set! Blow!
Jun 17, 2005

Red alert.

Mickey McKey posted:

Doesnt having retinues reduce the manpower you get from your personal holdings or something? I could swear there was a drawback on the number of men you got from another source for having retinue.

As far as I know, (a) it wasn't retinues per se that reduced levies, but Military Organization tech, and (b) since the tech revamp in TOG, this hasn't been the case.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Vlad Antlerkov posted:

As far as I know, (a) it wasn't retinues per se that reduced levies, but Military Organization tech, and (b) since the tech revamp in TOG, this hasn't been the case.

Oh neat, good to know, thank you.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

So uh, is the military tutorial meant to be borked? Because its telling me to select the ships at this point but clicking them does nothing. Would having Legacy of Rome or The Old Gods enabled screw this up? I mean the number of ships shown in the group doesn't even match up with what the tutorial says either so I don't know what the hell is going on.

So it turns out I had the army one space too far down which made it stop working till I moved it to where it was apparently meant to go. Do the tutorials just stop working if even the slightest thing changes? Oh well, least they're informative.

And now it wants me to disembark my troops but isn't doing anything when I try to follow the instructions. Is this going to be a normal thing?

Fantastic Alice fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Dec 12, 2013

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Is there any way I can control who becomes the Partriach for the Byzantines? I've had a string of crappy ones that hurt my moral authority, and I just got all 5 Pentarchs, so I would like to mend the schism ASAP.

e: Looked at the patch notes for 2.0.2 beta again, and I saw something about being able to give out theocracy titles. I haven't been able to give bishopric titles to anyone, so maybe if I use this patch it will let me at least appoint a bishop who could become Patriarch? If that's not the case, can someone explain what this means

quote:

- Waived the non-neighboring rule for theocracy title grants, but made it moddable
- Now allowed to grant one higher-than-duke tier title to a theocracy

Baxate fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Dec 12, 2013

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Average Bear posted:

Any reason I shouldn't tax and levy my cities to oblivion as a monarch? It's not like they have enough power to rebel on their own, being barony level.

If you annoy your mayors too much, they'll just stop paying taxes at all. Run the highest taxes you can on cities without pushing any mayors into negative opinion of you.

hellsjudge
May 13, 2010

Ludwig van Halen posted:

Is there any way I can control who becomes the Partriach for the Byzantines? I've had a string of crappy ones that hurt my moral authority, and I just got all 5 Pentarchs, so I would like to mend the schism ASAP.

e: Looked at the patch notes for 2.0.2 beta again, and I saw something about being able to give out theocracy titles. I haven't been able to give bishopric titles to anyone, so maybe if I use this patch it will let me at least appoint a bishop who could become Patriarch? If that's not the case, can someone explain what this means

I tried this with my Jewish head and it looks like you can grant counties or temples, but not a dukedom since the title is a duchy :(.

Also thanks for y'all with the help for modifying women into getting counties, that will really help in my next playthrough.

Anyone know if the Gallowglass training grounds were bugged? I swear I built the same one in the same county at least four times :confused:

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

hellsjudge posted:

I tried this with my Jewish head and it looks like you can grant counties or temples, but not a dukedom since the title is a duchy :(.

Since I just took Rome, I still have that bishopric I could give to someone, so if I don't have any control over the who becomes Patriarch I could just give it to the current Patriarch. I could probably get an extra 20% moral authority if I give him direct control of all the Orthodox holy sites. I'd have to revoke the titles for most of them though (and probably retract vassalage from my dukes), so I'm not so sure about it.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...-Kohen-Gadol%29

Jesus christ Paradox fans. Jesus christ.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
I thought you meant the first post, which is pretty standard video game sperg but kind of funny if that's your thing.

But oh god, the replies

quote:

The Jews shouldn't be in the game in the first place, be happy that developers made this happen because of extensive Jewish lobbying from the US and Israel.

quote:

The question is, why do people keep starting new threads/whining and almost insinuating Paradox has something against Jews? Jews got way more attention in CK2 than they deserve, in my opinion. Face it, outside of loaning money (Pope banned Christians from practicing "usury") what did Jews really do in CK2 timeframe (I know the Khazars were "Jews")?

They are even "superior" councilors in game, and if you expel them you lose tech points randomly because of it and get a diplomacy hit. None of these things even make sense. Why are Jews "superior" and so "tech" savvy in game? Why would you lose tech points because you expelled Jews a decade ago?

The answer to this question is because seven centuries of Spanish history was shaped, in large part, by ethnic and class-based pogroms. The consequences of purging Muslims, Jews, and rebellious peasants of all sorts reached all the way to the goddamned Spanish Civil War in the 20th century. It's kind of a big deal.

quote:

Replace the Jew is Aztec.

That is the argument you are making. Literally.

Be happy that they have been added to the game at all. They served no purpose in this time frame, and only were added because of ridiculous PC issues. You know. I know it. They know it. Drop it.

Let the devs spend time on actual interesting improvements instead of wild fantasies that aren't instantly debunked because it has to do with today's modern religious fiasco.

quote:

They definitely need an 'Establish the Murdochracy' event chain

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Cease to Hope posted:

I thought you meant the first post, which is pretty standard video game sperg but kind of funny if that's your thing.

But oh god, the replies

The answer to this question is because seven centuries of Spanish history was shaped, in large part, by ethnic and class-based pogroms. The consequences of purging Muslims, Jews, and rebellious peasants of all sorts reached all the way to the goddamned Spanish Civil War in the 20th century. It's kind of a big deal.

Who gives a poo poo. Reminder that this thread had several pages of goons crying over paradox patching out incest. Those who live in glass houses...

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Knuc If U Buck posted:

Who gives a poo poo. Reminder that this thread had several pages of goons crying over paradox patching out incest. Those who live in glass houses...

But they didn't? I've had entire dynasties where everyone was directly related, and that was just a month or so ago, and I don't have any gameplay mods.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Knuc If U Buck posted:

That's a really nice false equivalency you've got there, buddy. :thumbsup:

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

DStecks posted:

That's a really nice false equivalency you've got there, buddy. :thumbsup:

How is that false equivalency?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

PureRok posted:

But they didn't? I've had entire dynasties where everyone was directly related, and that was just a month or so ago, and I don't have any gameplay mods.

They patched out the "I think X fancies me" event hooking you up with family which I can take or leave. I hadn't even realized it was a bug and it just felt like "OK why are they only NOW getting to it?" but it's not like it ruins the game.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Knuc If U Buck posted:

How is that false equivalency?

Because goons, however creepy, are not actually proponents of incest, whereas many of the people on that forum are legit anti-semites.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

StashAugustine posted:

Because goons, however creepy, are not actually proponents of incest, whereas many of the people on that forum are legit anti-semites.

Also, it wasn't crying about patching out incest (that was still very possible). It was crying about them patching out accidental incest and only then because it was funny as poo poo.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

dogstile posted:

Also, it wasn't crying about patching out incest (that was still very possible). It was crying about them patching out accidental incest and only then because it was funny as poo poo.

Do you think incest is a joke???

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

StashAugustine posted:

Ah.

Necroneocon
May 12, 2009

by Shine

Knuc If U Buck posted:

I give a poo poo because both these threads are bad. This one when it comes to creepy stuff, Paradox forums when it comes to Racism. I hope that helps.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

The Moon Monster posted:

Is there a tutorial on retinues somewhere? I've been playing this game for awhile while being completely oblivious to them apparently.

Is your cultural retinue mostly light cavalry with a defense bonus or light infantry? If yes, make Shock retinues. If no, make your cultural retinue exclusively. Always max out your retinue as soon as possible - the AI will include your retinue size in its comparison for strength.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Knuc If U Buck posted:

And it was pathetic and hilarious, just like that Paradox thread. Do you feel the need to poo poo up every mocking post with "well goons are just as bad" false equivalence nonsense?

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

edit- On second thought, I don't feel like getting probated for continuing this worthless derail.

Knuc U Kinte fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Dec 12, 2013

Caufman
May 7, 2007

StashAugustine posted:

Because goons, however creepy, are not actually proponents of incest,

If you have a better way of keeping landed titles in the family, I'd like to hear it, Mr. McJudgey.

Disco Infiva posted:

To be fair, you probably won't even get to melee phase. That skirmish phase with +60% bows are devastating to all but mongols and cataphracts. Cataphracts are the strongest as they have no weakness, but for me skirmish are most cost effective.

Skirmishers are ridiculous effective, especially in the early game. And since I can pump out more of them than any other basic retinue, they also help me build up an army capable of assaulting castles. I'm in Lancaster right now, I'm thinking about switching over the Welsh culture so I can get that sweet sweet longbow retinue.

Caufman fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Dec 12, 2013

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

StashAugustine posted:

This thread could probably do with less of the flippant referrals to "moonspeak" though.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Reveilled posted:

This thread could probably do with less of the flippant referrals to "moonspeak" though.

Haha oh my god yeah, that's sooo racist. :jerkbag:

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
To steer the discussion to another topic, what are the effects of the new martial trait introduced in the beta patch?

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

NihilCredo posted:

Haha oh my god yeah, that's sooo racist. :jerkbag:

Pretty much, yeah.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
The Game of Thrones CK2 mod is set to update on Tuesday and it has all sorts of neat features, including adding Essos (the Eastern Continent) and integrating a lot of the Sons of Abraham features.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

computer parts posted:

The Game of Thrones CK2 mod is set to update on Tuesday and it has all sorts of neat features, including adding Essos (the Eastern Continent) and integrating a lot of the Sons of Abraham features.

poo poo, and Elder Kings is supposed to update at the weekend too. I'm gonna be busy next week!

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Torrannor posted:

To steer the discussion to another topic, what are the effects of the new martial trait introduced in the beta patch?

Levy size of each holding is multiplied by a factor of (10 + the holder's Martial score).

hellsjudge
May 13, 2010
The best part of Jewish crusades: spending 40 minutes doling out the counties and baronies :negative:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
That's what the "Grant lower titles" checkmark is for. :ssh:

Just click it and you can just hand out the whole thing -- county and all -- to someone and let them handle the rest. It'll also make them really happy!

hellsjudge
May 13, 2010
I'm trying to set up theocracies though and it's actually working, gonna make some Jewish theocracies aww yeah

Also I REALLY wanted to make my Republic vassal a Kingdom, and I kept thinking about how to do it, and then I thought of this: will the AI make the kingdom title if it is available? I figured out how to get around the limit of counties I can give him by just destroying the rest of the duchies in Ireland and transferring vassalage of the counties to my doge vassal so he can have control of at least 51% of Ireland.

I'm thinking in my next game I'll give them the cities of places I conquer so they always have a CB to war for the county (even better if they're Jews though, my republic vassal waged at least 10 holy wars and won a lot of land throughout my whole game)

hellsjudge fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Dec 12, 2013

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

hellsjudge posted:

The best part of Jewish crusades: spending 40 minutes doling out the counties and baronies :negative:

It is the best thing, cause you can hand it all out to same-culture same-religion family members. The only game I managed to maintain a stable empire for some time was because I won most of it in crusade against Fraticelli super-Genoa and ridiculously aggressive Muslims.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Mailer posted:

Vassal levies have a large blanket nerf to what they provide. Also, you get less for each tier (count/duke/king/emperor) lower than your primary title. Also also, anything outside your de jure territory provides virtually nothing. Destroying titles angers people within the de jure realm that title covers.

Missed this, sorry. I'm not sure what you mean with the second sentence. Do vassal kings now provide more troops than dukes? And I suppose the question with de jure kingdoms/empires is where your capital is? So as Scandinavia/Britannia for example I could gain significantly more levies by moving my capital to England from Denmark?

I know about the one time hit, yet given the severe penalties for holding electoral titles under elective and the annoying "desires duchy" penalty this seems like a very minor thing.

• Locked thread