Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Augustin Iturbide posted:

Does Taiyou no Ie ever get not weird or is that just baked into the premise?

Curious about this too, since there's nothing especially weird about it in my opinion. I like it since it tackles broken family issues which is a fairly significant theme throughout the story. Also it's structured initially to switch between Mao and Hiro's perspectives which was an interesting change from the usual focusing on only the heroine's perspective. This changes as the cast expands, but it makes it more of an ensemble cast than solely focusing on Mao, though she is obviously core to both families rebuilding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
He might be referring to Mao being more than a few years younger than Hiro. Isn't the age difference 5-7 years? Granted, as they get older, that age distance will be pretty much irrelevant.

Chas McGill posted:

It's baked in and I'm not sure why people like it so much. I read a few chapters and didn't really get it.
What's "a few chapters"? It took a little bit to get going but it's a perfectly great drama now.

Also, did you read Cheese in the Trap yet Chas? If not, you totally should give it a try if you're aiming for a good ol' dramance.

edit: oh boy, prologue of season 3 of CitT has been translated! :woop:
http://www.oddsquad.org/p/cheese-in-trap.html

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Dec 12, 2013

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Captain Invictus posted:

What's "a few chapters"? It took a little bit to get going but it's a perfectly great drama now.

Also, did you read Cheese in the Trap yet Chas? If not, you totally should give it a try if you're aiming for a good ol' dramance.
I think I read up to Daiki appearing. Mao didn't grab me as a character. Hiro is sort of interesting in that he balances his sentimental motivation to get his family back together with the practicality of being a functioning adult. The juxtaposition of flighty, useless Mao and Hiro is tired, though. I put it aside to read Kuragehime and I don't regret the decision.

I haven't read Cheese in the Trap. What's it about? If you summarised it before I don't remember seeing, sorry.

Augustin Iturbide
Jun 4, 2012
I got up to Volume 2 and the whole 'teenage girl crushes on older dude she lives with' seems creepy to me. Maybe because I have a gut reaction against those types of things in Japanese media.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
To a certain extent that is why I like that the family drama is much more of a focal point (or at least it was), but it's not like she's underaged and/or Hiro is even in his 30's. Can't help but laugh though at the timing of bringing this up alongside what we were just discussing on the last page.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Nate RFB posted:

To a certain extent that is why I like that the family drama is much more of a focal point (or at least it was), but it's not like she's underaged and/or Hiro is even in his 30's. Can't help but laugh though at the timing of bringing this up alongside what we were just discussing on the last page.
I'm not outraged by it, but the difference between a 17yr old and a 25yr old is massive, imo. I also don't think there's a particular narrative reason for her to be that young (she could be an adult and still get kicked out and have nowhere to go). I'm sure it's selling better because she's 17, helpless, and moe. It's not a relationship between equals in maturity, even if neither of them are underaged.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Getting kicked out of your house as an adult (so, living with your parents after graduating from college I guess?) vs. when you are barely no longer a minor is a massive difference.

Kusaru
Dec 20, 2006

I'm a Bro-ny!

Chas McGill posted:

I'm not outraged by it, but the difference between a 17yr old and a 25yr old is massive, imo. I also don't think there's a particular narrative reason for her to be that young (she could be an adult and still get kicked out and have nowhere to go). I'm sure it's selling better because she's 17, helpless, and moe. It's not a relationship between equals in maturity, even if neither of them are underaged.

Unita Yumi (Bunny Drop) actually has a manga called Toribako House that starts with a 23-year-old dating a 32-year-old, and they've been together 7 years.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Chas McGill posted:

I haven't read Cheese in the Trap. What's it about? If you summarised it before I don't remember seeing, sorry.
It's a romance/drama manwha(Korean manga) about Hong Sul, a smart and realistically normal college girl who catches the eye of Yoo Jung, the seemingly perfect, brilliant, gorgeous and very, very rich top student at her college. Ever since then, she feels like all the misfortune that's befallen her in the past year is his fault. It's over 150 chapters long and still ongoing, with something like 120 chapters currently translated. While it can get kinda soap opera-ey at times, most of the time it's pretty outstanding and honestly handles some super touchy subjects in a much more open, realistic, and probably disturbing manner than most manga might. Things such as stalkers, sociopaths, social engineers, hate crime, and gays in korea are looked at in a pretty harsh, unflinching light. For the most part there's a lot of romance/drama/comedy though, and I really like the way the artist draws the characters, both in normal style and when he goes super low-detail, I love the faces they make.

Manwha tend to have a lot of space between panels though, so be prepared for that. I didn't mind it, but apparently some folks did?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
edit: meant to put this in the previous post ffff

Chas McGill posted:

Honestly it gets more into Mao's life at home and how her parents treat her and is more about her dealing with the pretty loving awful position of being a child from a failed marriage that is basically being ignored by her father and new wife, and how she tries to amend that problem. It's not entirely about the Hiro/Mao relationship, it's flip-flopped between storylines as it goes.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Captain Invictus posted:

It's a romance/drama manwha(Korean manga) about Hong Sul, a smart and realistically normal college girl who catches the eye of Yoo Jung, the seemingly perfect, brilliant, gorgeous and very, very rich top student at her college. Ever since then, she feels like all the misfortune that's befallen her in the past year is his fault. It's over 150 chapters long and still ongoing, with something like 120 chapters currently translated. While it can get kinda soap opera-ey at times, most of the time it's pretty outstanding and honestly handles some super touchy subjects in a much more open, realistic, and probably disturbing manner than most manga might. Things such as stalkers, sociopaths, social engineers, hate crime, and gays in korea are looked at in a pretty harsh, unflinching light. For the most part there's a lot of romance/drama/comedy though, and I really like the way the artist draws the characters, both in normal style and when he goes super low-detail, I love the faces they make.

Manwha tend to have a lot of space between panels though, so be prepared for that. I didn't mind it, but apparently some folks did?
OK, that sounds interesting. We've been watching a few Korean dramas after figuring out Netflix proxies so this is good timing. Also really cool that it tackles issues normally outside the playpen of adolescent safety most mangas exist in. Thanks for the write-up.

Captain Invictus posted:

edit: meant to put this in the previous post ffff

Honestly it gets more into Mao's life at home and how her parents treat her and is more about her dealing with the pretty loving awful position of being a child from a failed marriage that is basically being ignored by her father and new wife, and how she tries to amend that problem. It's not entirely about the Hiro/Mao relationship, it's flip-flopped between storylines as it goes.
Mm. I remember getting some of that already. Normally I love fiction that has 'found families', yet I don't care enough about Mao herself to buy into it. She reads as archetypal to me. Her peccadilloes and quirks don't drag her out of that predictable role in the story.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Want to feel horrible? Try Kakukaku Shikajika 14.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
UGH I did feel terrible reading that. It reminds me so much of how I disrespected people when I was her age. UGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGH. So much embarrassment by proxy.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
New Ore Monogatari!!

I was just thinking about this the other day and was hoping it would get updated soon.

edit: also I really should have caught up Kakukaku Shikajika first instead of the other way round so I'd have had something funny to read afterwards. Augh, that was just painful.

edit2: oops it's licensed, I have removed the link. Y'all go buy it when it comes out because Takeo is awesome.

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Dec 24, 2013

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Ugh ugh ugh.

Chas McGill posted:

It's strange reading something like this and knowing that she 'made it' despite her lacklustre start to uni. I wonder how the teacher will react to her manga aspirations if he finds out. I'm worried that he died before her success with Kuragehime, though.

I'm about 98% sure this is all leading to how she learned that he passed away and it's a posthumous "oh god, i'm sorry I was such an rear end in a top hat" apology to him.

:smith:

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

a kitten posted:

I'm about 98% sure this is all leading to how she learned that he passed away and it's a posthumous "oh god, i'm sorry I was such an rear end in a top hat" apology to him.

She mentioned that she continued to go to his class as an adult, so I expect that there is going to be some kind of reconciliation, and god I really really want to know how that happened. I'm expecting this to be one of my favorite series once it wraps up. It's the kind of thing that makes you want to do whatever it is you do better.

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.
So romance is the only genre of anime I have yet to watch. How often do they end with the guy/girl finally saying "I love you"?

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Depressingly often. But then again, a lot of the time the ones that do go past that point either become boring since all the tension is gone, or have contrived bullshit happen to push the couple apart.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
If you're lucky, you have the couple get together at the beginning and it's all about maintaining a relationship from there.

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Allarion posted:

If you're lucky, you have the couple get together at the beginning and it's all about maintaining a relationship from there.

Which ones fall under this category? in particular where the couple have a on/off relationship.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Khagan posted:

Which ones fall under this category? in particular where the couple have a on/off relationship.

Do you want anime or manga? There's a whole lot more romance manga than anime. But, in any case, Paradise Kiss is a great place to start, whichever format you're looking for (both versions are excellent). It's a beautifully volatile first serious love story.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
CLANNAD and Kare Kano have the main couple get together relatively early, though I wouldn't really describe either as on/off. Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun probably fits the bill though, as well as Hana Yori Dango now that I think about it.

E: vvv Oh yeah, drat how did I forget Bonnouji.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Dec 21, 2013

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Motherfuckin' Bonnouji.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp
Sukitte Ii na yo

They get together in episode 1 I think? and its all about maintaining it from there with the upturns but mostly downturns.

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

a kitten posted:

Do you want anime or manga? There's a whole lot more romance manga than anime. But, in any case, Paradise Kiss is a great place to start, whichever format you're looking for (both versions are excellent). It's a beautifully volatile first serious love story.

Anime so I have narrowed it down to Paradise Kiss, Tonari no Kaibustu-kun, Hana Yori Dango and possibly Nodame Cantabile.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

The couple in Lovely Complex gets together a ways before the ending as well, it's also funny as hell and good all around. The anime just recently got an official English release too.

Dr. Fingerguns
Dec 26, 2011

What if all cats were THIS?
I just finished reading what I could of Asagao to Kase-san, and it made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. Are there any other similar yuri manga out there that could be recommended?

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!
For warm and fluffy high school Yuri there's Sasameki Koto, Aoi Hana (Sweet Blue Flowers), and Girl Friends

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

Dr. Fingerguns posted:

I just finished reading what I could of Asagao to Kase-san, and it made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. Are there any other similar yuri manga out there that could be recommended?

Otsu Hiyori does a lot of great yuri manga. Her stories are mostly about college-age girls in relationships, or ones about to get into relationships, but they all make for a good read. I think my single favorite story of her's was in Clover, a collection of stories about four sisters who all get into relationships with other girls. The second sister starts working at a bakery with another girl, and since neither of them have boyfriends, they decide to start play-going out with each other until one of them gets a boyfriend.

But, soon after they both discover they really like playing girlfriends, and graduate to a real relationship soon after. After the fourth story of Clover, there's a story set a few years in the future starring that couple, and after some relationship drama, they decide to get engaged, and the last image in the story, is the two as an adult couple living together. It's absolutely adorable.

Maple Love is another really cute story of her's, but it's a one-shot. Definitely worth it, though.

Dr. Fingerguns
Dec 26, 2011

What if all cats were THIS?
Thanks for the title and author recommendations, I think I'll be well stocked with stuff to read for a while now.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Dr. Fingerguns posted:

Thanks for the title and author recommendations, I think I'll be well stocked with stuff to read for a while now.

In order of least to most light and fluffy the ones in jackofarcades' post go: Aoi Hana, Sasameki Koto, Girl Friends. AH and SK are pretty much all around excellent and I highly recommend them, but there is a lot more agonizing over relationships than I suspect is in Kase-san. Girl Friends has some of that too, but is overall lighter in tone.

Kisses, Sighs, & Cherry Blossom Pink is by the same author as Girl Friends, the story of the main couple is pretty good and definitely cute. The side stories are kind of hit or miss.

Other suggestions that fit your request:
Chatting at the Amber Teahouse and Cirque Arachne
They should be easy to find at http://dynasty-scans.com/ which a pretty good site for non-liscenced yuri, even if it is overrun with doujins lately.

You might look at Wife and Wife/Fu-Fu too, I couldn't really get into it, but it seemed to be going for a "they're two girls, they're in a relationship and do cute things together" kind of vibe.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Ore Monogatari 3 is out.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Another great chapter of Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun.

A montage chapter! A pretty funny and heartwarming one, at that.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Nate RFB posted:

Another great chapter of Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun.

A montage chapter! A pretty funny and heartwarming one, at that.

Page 15 :kimchi:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I found something that fans of Takako Shimura will probably love: it's a sketch blog/tumblr with a whole bunch of small sketches of hers. I'm not sure if it's actually her blog, or just someone posting her stuff, but if you like the way she draws thing, like I do, it's worth a look for sure.

Just as a heads up, it is sometimes :nws:
http://a0ikit0iki.tumblr.com/

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
There is a new chapter of Homiriya, introducing a new character to the already wonderful Hoyarami cast of characters: a black-haired version of the main female lead of Horimiya, a clear sign of time travel antics.

Eleeleth
Jun 21, 2009

Damn, that is one suave eel.

toanoradian posted:

There is a new chapter of Homiriya, introducing a new character to the already wonderful Hoyarami cast of characters: a black-haired version of the main female lead of Horimiya, a clear sign of time travel antics.

And Hori's dad continues to be the best character in this.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
Oh hey, looks like there was an update to Uwagaki recently and it's still asking the type of questions I like. And somehow the faces remain pretty good!

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Lessail posted:

Oh hey, looks like there was an update to Uwagaki recently and it's still asking the type of questions I like. And somehow the faces remain pretty good!

At the end Ajio ends up falling in love with Kazuya. Just look at his eyes in the scene where Kazuya takes his shirt off at their part-time job. Love/lust at first sight.

The 4-coma with the plain-looking teacher were pretty funny. The book she's holding in the first 4-coma says something like "Simple introduction to bread-making."

edit: Also the faces of his mom/sisters after he tells them about the cicada thing. This series has some pretty great faces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
New chapter up of &.

I started reading Suppli as well. Okazaki Mari is becoming one of my favorite manga artists; pages are sometimes hard to follow because of nonstandard layouts but everything is so pretty :swoon: