Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Your way works too posted:

Or Narancia's in part 5. Now that you point it out it does seem to be a bit of a theme. Manages to be shocking each time as well.

Man, Narancia gives a giant "Day before retirement" speech right before he gets killed, it was like a giant warning sign he was going to be killed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I was under the impression that Pucci speed up time for everyone except himself - which sounds like a lovely power until you realize that people still think and perceive at normal speeds, so it seems like he's going super fast. Since time is moving normally for him, wouldn't he have to wait out the heat death of the universe, the next big bang, and then the recreation of the entire universe in order to loop back around to the start of Stone Ocean? It may only be a few minutes to everyone watching, but to Pucci it'd be in normal time - unless he can choose to effect himself with his own power. Now that I think about it, how did Pucci (and everyone else in the suspended time) survive the earth getting destroyed by the sun dying?

Maybe Pucci just fast-forwarded poo poo so fast that the fabric of the universe couldn't handle it and it just hard reset, or skipped forward super far.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I'm assuming that the SBRverse is unrelated to the original universe simply because Jojolion takes place around the same time as Stone Ocean, and in the ending of Stone Ocean, the Joestar bloodline is in America with Irene, and we've already seen the entire family tree of the Joestar family from SBR to JJL with no Irene.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

CodfishCartographer posted:

Maybe Pucci just fast-forwarded poo poo so fast that the fabric of the universe couldn't handle it and it just hard reset, or skipped forward super far.

I think that's what he did, from the translation I read.

Time sped up to infinity and warped reality to form a new universe-creating singularity, creating a new Earth that followed the events of the previous Earth perfectly. The souls of every organism on Earth that was alive during accelerated time were placed back at their location on the new Earth, but with subconscious/spiritual memories of everything that happened over the rest of their lives (they saw it during accelerated time). This essentially gave everyone precognition (Emporio and the guards remembering what they would do), which Pucci wanted so that all of humanity could accept their fate, through knowing exactly how their life will play out. He believed that this knowledge would lead to humanity's happiness, its Heaven.

The souls of the dead did not pass on to the new Earth, with a similar person being born and experiencing that life in their place, like the new main group all looking the same and still ending up meeting each other.

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug
Meanwhile Giorno's just laughing his rear end off somewhere.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
My question is whether the world at the end of Stone Ocean was one with any longevity or not. I remember Pucci saying something about how due to how his stand worked, he essentially brought another world into existence that will follow the same exact events as the previous one including ending/resetting at Cape Canaveral and that if Emporio killed him, he couldn't stop the world from ending yet again and that if he wasn't around, he couldn't guarantee the next world would be a perfect statistical copy of the previous. So I was under the impression that the ending was more or less Emporio accepting that the world was going to come to an end regardless once he, Irene, Annakiss, and the rest reached Cape Canaveral with one of the universes to exist later on being the Steel Ball Run universe.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

Waffleman_ posted:

I'm assuming that the SBRverse is unrelated to the original universe simply because Jojolion takes place around the same time as Stone Ocean, and in the ending of Stone Ocean, the Joestar bloodline is in America with Irene, and we've already seen the entire family tree of the Joestar family from SBR to JJL with no Irene.

I always figured it was because Jotaro and Jolyne stopped being Joestars and their alternate selves are completely unrelated to Johnny. Irene's birthmark is from her previous life as a Jojo. Not like speculation matters much, I just think it would be cool for it to be the same universe but god knows where Araki will go, it's not like he has any problems with retconning story elements.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

MelvinBison posted:

Meanwhile Giorno's just laughing his rear end off somewhere.

I like to think that Giorno was just enjoying a nice bottle of wine when suddenly everything around him just goes completely loving crazy. He kind of just sits there for a couple minutes confused as hell, and then it ends and everything seems normal so what the hell, probably nothing important.

Your sense of what's strange gets shot to hell after the typical Jojo arc is what I'm saying.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

I kind of wish that Dio had survived SBR, just so we could get a Giorno in Jojolion.

FirstAidKite posted:

My question is whether the world at the end of Stone Ocean was one with any longevity or not. I remember Pucci saying something about how due to how his stand worked, he essentially brought another world into existence that will follow the same exact events as the previous one including ending/resetting at Cape Canaveral and that if Emporio killed him, he couldn't stop the world from ending yet again and that if he wasn't around, he couldn't guarantee the next world would be a perfect statistical copy of the previous. So I was under the impression that the ending was more or less Emporio accepting that the world was going to come to an end regardless once he, Irene, Annakiss, and the rest reached Cape Canaveral with one of the universes to exist later on being the Steel Ball Run universe.

Pucci did say that something would happen on the day they fought at Cape Canaveral if he wasn't alive at that time. When Emporio was killing him, Pucci was saying that he would gladly die after that day had passed.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

Schubalts posted:

I kind of wish that Dio had survived SBR, just so we could get a Giorno in Jojolion.
Maybe one of the many Dios slept with a chick at some point. Not inconceivable. Maybe GioGiolion might actually be interesting!

(Yes two Dios counts as "many".)

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

I think this is the right thread for this but does anyone have a link to the Bloody Stream opening version with all the stand powers?

JDRockefeller
Apr 26, 2010
About the Pucci reset stuff:

http://www.mangahere.com/manga/jojo_s_bizarre_adventure_part_6_stone_ocean/c157/2.html
http://www.mangahere.com/manga/jojo_s_bizarre_adventure_part_6_stone_ocean/c157/8.html
http://www.mangahere.com/manga/jojo_s_bizarre_adventure_part_6_stone_ocean/c157/9.html
http://www.mangahere.com/manga/jojo_s_bizarre_adventure_part_6_stone_ocean/c157/10.html
http://www.mangahere.com/manga/jojo_s_bizarre_adventure_part_6_stone_ocean/c157/14.html
http://www.mangahere.com/manga/jojo_s_bizarre_adventure_part_6_stone_ocean/c157/15.html
http://www.mangahere.com/manga/jojo_s_bizarre_adventure_part_6_stone_ocean/c157/18.html
http://www.mangahere.com/manga/jojo_s_bizarre_adventure_part_6_stone_ocean/c158/10.html

His ultimate goal is to complete a full cycle and make the future-sight effect everyone experiences permanent. He stops short of a full cycle however, to get rid of Emporio. Pucci worries that if he completes a full cycle without killing Emporio first, Emporio's fate of escaping the prison might lead to him growing stronger and killing him. However when Pucci fucks up because he himself is the only exception and is not affected by future-sight, and ends up punching Weather Report's stand into Emporio, changing Emporio's fate. After he fucks up and is about to get killed, he warns that he needs to complete the cycle to make the effect permanent or mankind's fate will be altered, and it might be a different future. That's why he starts saying he would gladly die AFTER the full cycle, otherwise all this poo poo he did would end up being meaningless.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
At least part 6 has a good fan translation so we don't have to wonder if the confusion arises from Araki himself or from Altavista Babelfish.

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall
Wow, Johnny's backstory really makes me think he's a total douchebag, I hope he'll get better.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

legendsuper posted:

Wow, Johnny's backstory really makes me think he's a total douchebag, I hope he'll get better.

He does. I felt the same, but you'll see that his character isn't nearly as obnoxious as he comes off at first, and later one you'll see some MORE of his backstory that makes him a much more interesting (and imo much more likable) character.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Robviously posted:

I think this is the right thread for this but does anyone have a link to the Bloody Stream opening version with all the stand powers?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-uftqtusQk

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

God, watching that just reminds me of how great Bloody Stream is as an OP. I can't wait until the opening for part 3. :allears:

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Considering all the time based powers in this series, its wierd we havent seen a slow down yet, sort of like Foxys Noronoro beam.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

Meme Emulator posted:

Considering all the time based powers in this series, its wierd we havent seen a slow down yet, sort of like Foxys Noronoro beam.
Pucci's is mostly the same thing. Speeding himself up so much that everyone else is vastly slower.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

That's it! I showed it to a couple of buddies and it, more than the animated series oddly enough, got them hooked.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
So wait, in SBR when Johnny and Gyro are fighting Civil War, how does Johnny use his stand power, since Axl takes all of his corpse parts? I thought he could only use them while he had at least one, but Axl takes off with all of them before Johnny gets all powered up. So how does he shoot himself in the head if he can't shoot his fingernails?

I'm not much farther than this, so if it's revealed later please just keep it under wraps.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Meme Emulator posted:

Part 8 is still young. There's plenty of time to add in our obligatory time manipulating baddy.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

I remember seeing a picture of a VCR with the buttons being The World (pause), Made in Heaven (fast forward), King Crimson (skip scene), whatever Ringo's stand name was (rewind) and Another One Bites the Dust (previous scene). I thought it was clever.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Fiend Computer posted:

I remember seeing a picture of a VCR with the buttons being The World (pause), Made in Heaven (fast forward), King Crimson (skip scene), whatever Ringo's stand name was (rewind) and Another One Bites the Dust (previous scene). I thought it was clever.

e: found it

I'm sad that Abbacchio isn't on Record / Play.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Fiend Computer posted:

whatever Ringo's stand name was (rewind)

MANDOM. The only way to beat it is to be manlier than Ringo.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Meme Emulator posted:

Giorno's Gold Experience's punch is sort of slow down, too, just that you aren't actually slowed down.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Nahxela posted:

Giorno's Gold Experience's punch is sort of slow down, too, just that you aren't actually slowed down.

I really wish this was emphasized more in Part 5. It was just such a hilarious (if not all that useful) power.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

I really wish this was emphasized more in Part 5. It was just such a hilarious (if not all that useful) power.

GE already had like a dozen other powers. Most of them stopped showing up eventually.

Remember how when someone attacked something GE brought to life the damage was reflected on them?

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Oh I know, I just think that one aspect was a bit funny, even though it really didn't add anything to his powers. The whole reflecting damage bit probably could have made for some interesting fights, and sort of made sense? It made more sense than repairing bullet holes by slapping a piece of rock-turned-flesh into it.

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall
Oh goddammit. The Pizza Song.
e: Or the Cheese song, whatever.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

legendsuper posted:

Oh goddammit. The Pizza Song.
e: Or the Cheese song, whatever.

It'll definitely be a hit in Europe.

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall

Mighty Dicktron posted:

It'll definitely be a hit in Europe.

I like it. Especially the "rella rella rella" part.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Johnny and Gyro's chats are definitely near the top of the long list of things that make Steel Ball Run so drat good.

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Johnny and Gyro's chats are definitely near the top of the long list of things that make Steel Ball Run so drat good.

Yeah they're great ! Super good ! Awesome ! They're the best !

fall off your horse !

Ledgy fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Dec 14, 2013

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

legendsuper posted:

Yeah they're great ! Super good ! Awesome ! They're the best !

fall off your horse !

And Gyro gleefully suggesting that they steal the meat from Hot Pants' roast beef sandwiches and just leave the bread to 'piss him off'.

Diego's material needs work though

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I'm not sure if they give Diego that look because they think the joke was lovely (without realizing most of theirs are lovely as well) or because they just hate Diego and are trying to make him feel dumb. Either way, it just further proves that they're the two best Jojo characters. Just finished Part 7 earlier today, and I'm sad to see it go - it was easily my favorite. Definitely not sad to see Pocoloco win the race, though. I always liked him and his stand. Basically every character is connected to the corpse parts or the government plot, and he's just a lucky dude who wants to win a race. :unsmith: About how far do people think we are through Part 8?

Also, the only one of Gyro's dumb jokes I didn't get was his "how many fingers am I holding up?" one.

CodfishCartographer fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Dec 15, 2013

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I'm not sure if they give Diego that look because they think the joke was lovely (without realizing most of theirs are lovely as well) or because they just hate Diego and are trying to make him feel dumb. Either way, it just further proves that they're the two best Jojo characters. Just finished Part 7 earlier today, and I'm sad to see it go - it was easily my favorite. Definitely not sad to see Pocoloco win the race, though. I always liked him and his stand. Basically every character is connected to the corpse parts or the government plot, and he's just a lucky dude who wants to win a race. :unsmith: About how far do people think we are through Part 8?

Also, the only one of Gyro's dumb jokes I didn't get was his "how many fingers am I holding up?" one.

For a joke told between an Italian and a British racer, naturally this joke only made sense in Japanese.

He held up four fingers, then two, then none. Those numbers in Japanese can be read as Shi, Tsu, and Rei respectively, and Shitsurei is the word that's then translated as "Let me pass," to keep the three words. Puns!

I think it's usually used as "excuse me" when entering or leaving, but I'm no Japanese expert. Thankfully I was in a Japanese 3 class at the time so I pieced together what was happening, but otherwise yeah it makes absolutely no sense.

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall
Whoa whoa whoa, I think I missed something there...
Valentine looked fat at the beginning of the part, but now he's not anymore ? When did he...

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

legendsuper posted:

Whoa whoa whoa, I think I missed something there...
Valentine looked fat at the beginning of the part, but now he's not anymore ? When did he...

It'll be explained. Just enjoy the beauty of Buffentine for now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Cerebral Bore posted:

It'll be explained. Just enjoy the beauty of Buffentine for now.

Holy poo poo it only just occurred to me why he isn't fat anymore. I just assumed it was Araki changing the character design over the story, but this makes way more sense.

• Locked thread